Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Pretty rare in world cricket for older bowlers (Anderson and Broad) to effectively retire from other forms of cricket to concentrate on Test cricket. Usually bowlers at a certain age concentrate on the shorter formats, which are far less taxing on the body.
  • Didn't Anderson struggle with injuries as well as form early on when they tried to 'coach' his action? 
  • edited January 2021
    Leuth said:
    Didn't Anderson struggle with injuries as well as form early on when they tried to 'coach' his action? 
    Not for 7 years as Cummins was. Anderson had a 14 month spell away at the age of 22 but in the last 15 years he hasn't been out for any real length of time.

Cummins has only played 81 First Class and Test matches in a 10 year career. Anderson has played 410 in a 20 year career which supports the amount of time Cummins has missed and also how committed and incredibly fit Anderson has kept himself.
  • Leuth said:
    Didn't Anderson struggle with injuries as well as form early on when they tried to 'coach' his action? 
    Not for 7 years as Cummins was. Anderson had a 14 month spell away at the age of 22 but in the last 15 years he hasn't been out for any real length of time.

Cummins has only played 81 First Class and Test matches in a 10 year career. Anderson has played 410 in a 20 year career which supports the amount of time Cummins has missed and also how committed and incredibly fit Anderson has kept himself.
    But then Cummins was picked when ridiculously young, he's still only 27. Clearly it took a while for his body to be able to cope with bowling fast regularly, as his recent fitness record is good
  • MrOneLung said:
    Root has now passed Boycott and only Cook, Gooch, Gower , Stewart and Pietersen ahead of him. 
    Root has now gone past Pietersen 
  • Just reading through debate from yesterday about the batting linup. 

We pick bowlers to match sub-continent pitches i don't see why we shouldn't do the same for batsmen. 

In terms of openers I'm not sure Burns or Sibley will ever do wellnin those conditions. Both have struggled against spin in England. Burns couldn't handle Roston Chase. The argument is they'll never get better if they don't get the chance to play there. For me Burns at 29 is probably not worth thinking long term in these conditions. And Sibleys technique just seems too far gone against spin. In normal times I'd be saying send them on a lions tour to Australia. Crawley has shown some promise against spin and is going to be in this batting lineup for the next 10 years so certainly worth giving him the chance to adapt.

Jennings (like bairstow) is not the answer in test cricket but may just suit these conditions. Lawrence has shown promise and Pope is reasonably good against spin so all are worth a go. 

The same argument could be made for Foakes over Buttler for both batting and Keeping but buttler remains in consideration.

Sam Curran isn't someone I'd bother with in these conditions. His bowling doesn't suit them. He's only here in the absence of Stokes, Woakes and Ali.
  • Can everyone stop talking about Keaton fucking Jennings? India have the best fast bowling unit in their history 
  • Leuth said:
    Can everyone stop talking about Keaton fucking Jennings? India have the best fast bowling unit in their history 
    What about Sri Lanka? 
  • Sri Lanka, which we're not playing a Test in again for like 4 years 
  • But we are playing them right now. The discussion is literally about the line up for this test match. Admittedly we go to India next and would you want to make loads of changes, probably not. But I feel the discussion about Jennings is more about this series then India. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Top England run scorers in this series:

1st - Root 410*
    2nd - Bairstow 110
  • Cheeky appeal for wicket then but not clear if it carried. Soft signal out giving benefit of doubt to fielder. Defo grounded. Not out. 

Bess out next ball. 😣

Root has cramp and back spasms. Been in field for 474 minutes. On 180. 333-7 trail by 48.
  • Rubbish from Wood.
  • Ahhhh and he’s out. 185. Great fielding. 
  • Yeah, brilliant fielding. Fantastic innings 
  • Great fielding but getting run out in the last over of the day is just daft. 
    He wasn't attempting a run! He was basically stumped from short leg
  • Leuth said:
    Great fielding but getting run out in the last over of the day is just daft. 
    He wasn't attempting a run! He was basically stumped from short leg
    Well now I look stupid! As you can probably tell, I switched off some time ago!
  • That was really bizarre , the bails took an eternity to come off and i need to see it again and maybe some different angles but I’m pretty certaint stump mic 🎤 thingy on the floor was involved . 
    It grazes the stump (not 100% and maybe not enough to remove bail) then it hits the microphone equipment as well I don’t know if that made any difference but it was all a bit odd .
  • Nah it definitely removed the bail fairly. We'll have to hope Leach can smack a few tomorrow and get us within 20
  • Sponsored links:

• VERY unusual  .. one spinner takes 7 wickets and one fielder (not the w/k) takes 5 catches
  • VERY unusual  .. one spinner takes 7 wickets and one fielder (not the w/k) takes 5 catches
    Very unusual that their spinner takes virtually all their wickets yet our quicks take all their 10. Are the teams playing on the same pitch......or are our spinners just  crap. 
    Very unusual that their spinner takes virtually all their wickets yet our quicks take all their 10. Are the teams playing on the same pitch......or are our spinners just  crap. 
    The latter.  
  • I don't follow county cricket much anymore to be honest. Is Virdi going to be a test match spinner?
  • I don't follow county cricket much anymore to be honest. Is Virdi going to be a test match spinner?
    Short answer: yes. Long answer: yes, and fairly soon
  • Leuth said:
    I don't follow county cricket much anymore to be honest. Is Virdi going to be a test match spinner?
    Short answer: yes. Long answer: yes, and fairly soon
    I see he was named as a reserve for the India series. Hopefully he gets a game because I'm not sure Leach and Bess are anything more than just ok. Bess can bat which helps but very inconsistent. 
  • Bess has a habit of getting weirdly cheap bags from bad shots, but I agree that he doesn't quite look the threat we'd want. Virdi/Moriarty for Surrey at the back end of last season were extremely threatening. Mind you, Leach looks pretty deadly at FC level
  • Agreed, might sound harsh but I think the 33 average for Bess in Tests is quite fortunate. Some real lucky wickets in there. Leach's FC record is very good and I was impressed whenever I saw him playing for Somerset a few years back. Certainly doesn't look good enough to be the No1 spinner though. 
  • Even @Leuth would have a decent first class average bowling on the cheating Somerset Taunton strips. 
  • Leach out lbw for 1 sweeping 

England all out for 344 

Sri Lanka lead by 37