Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    Feel a bit sorry for Joe Root's critics, to be honest.  They're running out of things to moan about.  

This year, he's proving to be the most in-form Test cricketer in the world.  As a batsman, he's scored more runs and made more hundreds than any other player this year.  As a fielder, no-one (other than wicket keepers) has taken more catches.  (And his pick of wicket keeper has taken more catches than any other).  He's put on the highest partnership for any wicket, for any team this year (with Lawrence).  He's put on more runs with Bairstow this year than any other partnership for any team.  And, as a bowler, he's second in the list of Test bowling averages this year. 

Most importantly, he's won more Tests than any other captain in the world this year. 

I am sure there are some that will find fault.  But, for me, he's continuing to be outstanding.
    To be fair it is only 25th of January 
    Root will be hoping cricket is cancelled for the year as he'll be a shoo-in for all the "cricketer of the year" awards  :D
  • Options
    That's a ridiculous run of Tests England have now

4 in India
    2 vs NZ at home
    5 vs India at home
    5 in Australia

16 Tests against the best teams in 12 months, whereas many of the smaller countries have hardly any Test cricket now
  • Options

4 in India
    2 vs NZ at home
    5 vs India at home
    5 in Australia

16 Tests against the best teams in 12 months, whereas many of the smaller countries have hardly any Test cricket now
    Tv ratings talk
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Feel a bit sorry for Joe Root's critics, to be honest.  They're running out of things to moan about.  

This year, he's proving to be the most in-form Test cricketer in the world.  As a batsman, he's scored more runs and made more hundreds than any other player this year.  As a fielder, no-one (other than wicket keepers) has taken more catches.  (And his pick of wicket keeper has taken more catches than any other).  He's put on the highest partnership for any wicket, for any team this year (with Lawrence).  He's put on more runs with Bairstow this year than any other partnership for any team.  And, as a bowler, he's second in the list of Test bowling averages this year. 

Most importantly, he's won more Tests than any other captain in the world this year. 

I am sure there are some that will find fault.  But, for me, he's continuing to be outstanding.
    I can't help thinking that getting away from cricket for such periods of time has helped Root more than most. Sometimes when you are under pressure and you're not performing as well as you have done, there is mothing better for you than clearing the mind and thinking about anything but cricket. Root is back to his very best - we just need two or three others to join the party with the bat.
  • Options

4 in India
    2 vs NZ at home
    5 vs India at home
    5 in Australia

great for us as spectators though. I know its the NZ cricket board's choice to play loads of 2 match series and stick the focus to white ball, but they shouldn't be allowed to do that now they're top ranked team
  • Options
    I remember an away series when a Sidebottom-inspired England came from 1-0 down to win 2-1
  • Options
    I think we'll get battered in India though!! 😁
    Especially with the bubble squad rotation, cold players coming in, and form players going home
    Exactly.  Nasser Hussain & Rob Key were having a good debate about that the other day.

I can see both sides of the argument to be honest 
  • Options
    I can't remember the last time we played New Zealand for more than two Tests.

2015 was a cracking series that deserved a decider.

Winds me up because we always seem to have great games against them.
    I remember was it 1999 when chris read ducked a yorker was a 4/5 match series?
  • Options
    Especially with the bubble squad rotation, cold players coming in, and form players going home
    Exactly.  Nasser Hussain & Rob Key were having a good debate about that the other day.

Roots interview on TMS was good. He explained that players are getting rotated to give them time away from the bubble rather than picking form players.

Root made it sound like a good idea, which I get in the current environment. I just hope that it doesn’t become the new normal and that players are rested on the future because they’ve been away from home for a long period.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Roots interview on TMS was good. He explained that players are getting rotated to give them time away from the bubble rather than picking form players.

Root made it sound like a good idea, which I get in the current environment. I just hope that it doesn’t become the new normal and that players are rested on the future because they’ve been away from home for a long period.
    I don't expect it to be the norm once Covid bubbles have gone, but in the meantime it's definitely affecting the quality of the team for the India series, with players used to Asian conditions going home and being replaced by players who've spent winter in the Loughborough nets

AND if bubbles still existed next winter, no way would England do the same for an Ashes series.

"Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler will be going home after the 3rd Test with Sam Curran and Jonny Bairstow joining the bubble for the Boxing Day Test at the MCG"
  • Options

I don't expect it to be the norm once Covid bubbles have gone, but in the meantime it's definitely affecting the quality of the team for the India series, with players used to Asian conditions going home and being replaced by players who've spent winter in the Loughborough nets

AND if bubbles still existed next winter, no way would England do the same for an Ashes series.

"Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler will be going home after the 3rd Test with Sam Curran and Jonny Bairstow joining the bubble for the Boxing Day Test at the MCG"
    But then if the Ashes is the ultimate goal (and let's admit, it always is in English Test cricket), they'll hope to avoid a bit of burn out by next winter by letting players have a rest, see their families etc.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    It'll be interesting at what stage Covid restrictions will be by early June
    new zealand top ranked test team, but we only play them twice? Joke.
    India are the top ranked Test team.
    https://www.icc-cricket.com/world-test-championship/standings
  • Options

They do have to be selective when they do rest players but we will see more of it happening simply because so many of the players now have the opportunity to chase the dollar - how do you tell, if they want a break, Buttler, Archer, Stokes, Curran, Bairstow etc that they can't play in the IPL or Big Bash ? 
  • Options
    Bairstow sweeps Mendis over the ropes - and into a bucket of whitewash!

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55901970

Not England related, but Australia have pulled out of their tour of S Africa due to Covid concerns
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55901970

Not England related, but Australia have pulled out of their tour of S Africa due to Covid concerns
    Shortage of sandpaper in Australia to take with them.
  • Options
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is Mambo Number Five... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I suspect the coverage will be very widely criticised, but it's great to see cricket back on terrestrial TV here.  The last series broadcast on C4 was the 2005 Ashes series.  A repeat of that would be nice.
  • Options
    A real lockdown bonus, the timing was clearly perfect for a terrestrial broadcaster

Lets hope England aren't stuffed, a massive ask to go out there and perform with so little preparation for many of the players
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is Mambo Number Five... 
    The only song to make me feel overwhelming joy and sadness - sadness when it was the end of the last day of the final test match of the summer and I knew summer was over and I had to go back to school. 
  • Options
    That'll be similar to Sri Lanka right?  Early morning start to lunchtime-ish our time?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    That'll be similar to Sri Lanka right?  Early morning start to lunchtime-ish our time?
    Yes except for one day night test, which will be perfect for the UK, starting at 9am!

And the T20s which will be in the afternoon for us, and ODIs which will be in the daytime for us
  • Options
    Yes except for one day night test, which will be perfect for the UK, starting at 9am!

And the T20s which will be in the afternoon for us, and ODIs which will be in the daytime for us
    Which one is the day-night Test?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Which one is the day-night Test?
    The 3rd one in  Ahmedabad
  • Options
    Haven't looked into it, but I don't understand why broadcasting rights were not sorted weeks ago.

The series starts on Friday!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Just heard that channel 4 have won the rights for the test series in India.

Fantastic!
    As in the one that starts this week?

edit, I really need to start reading all posts first