Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Year's Eve

Comments

• Asda Smiling Brussel Sprout Christmas cake and Prosecco (we bought too many Christmas desserts).
  • For any of you old ravers out there ,The Hacienda are currently working there way through a 24hr NYE party with various djs throughout the day/night.

https://unitedwestream.co.uk/stream/hacienda-nye-24-hour-houseparty-united-we-stream-greater-manchester-part-1/
    Norman Jays on.

i might crack open a beer
  • edited December 2020
    While we're on the subject, NYE is pure shite isn't it?

You either go out the the pub and have to get a ticket in advance and pay to get in the pub that's normally free, it's rammed so half the night is queuing for the bar and getting knocked by strangers trying to squeeze past. 

You can't move on if it's rubbish as everywhere else is full too, and everyone wants to call it a night about half 10 but can't as you need to be there for midnight.  

It gets to midnight and you go by some random person's watch and all think "oh yeah, oops, it's 2 minutes past!!  Happy New Year!" and no one really cares.

Or you go to a house party and stand in a kitchen eating a few slices of cold pizza and duck spring rolls whilst drinking your own beer and making small talk until again, clinging on for about 2 hours until midnight when you're bored.

Cabs and hotels etc are 3 times the price, and you get stupid texts throughout the evening from people "wishing you a happy new year now as it'll be busy later on" as if that's been a thing for about 15 years.

Then the next morning you have everyone making resolutions no one cares about and no one sticks to, plus people on social media having arguments about fireworks and dogs for hours on end.

Going out on literally any other night of the year is much, much better.
    Happy New Year, fancy coming for a beer later  :D
    Can't, tickets sold out.
  • Normal New year's Eve for me these days. Quiet night in with my wife. The party days are long over but some very good memories
  • While we're on the subject, NYE is pure shite isn't it?

You either go out the the pub and have to get a ticket in advance and pay to get in the pub that's normally free, it's rammed so half the night is queuing for the bar and getting knocked by strangers trying to squeeze past. 

You can't move on if it's rubbish as everywhere else is full too, and everyone wants to call it a night about half 10 but can't as you need to be there for midnight.  

It gets to midnight and you go by some random person's watch and all think "oh yeah, oops, it's 2 minutes past!!  Happy New Year!" and no one really cares.

Or you go to a house party and stand in a kitchen eating a few slices of cold pizza and duck spring rolls whilst drinking your own beer and making small talk until again, clinging on for about 2 hours until midnight when you're bored.

Cabs and hotels etc are 3 times the price, and you get stupid texts throughout the evening from people "wishing you a happy new year now as it'll be busy later on" as if that's been a thing for about 15 years.

Then the next morning you have everyone making resolutions no one cares about and no one sticks to, plus people on social media having arguments about fireworks and dogs for hours on end.

You've clearly never been invited to a Kyle Walker NYE party
  • NYE celebrations out with the masses of the unwashed have just about always been soulless and expensive.  The whole business of celebrating just a tick of the clock became an excuse for antisocial behaviour on a grand scale.  One notable exception, when an off duty staff member at my then local coaching inn, found in me a kindred spirit, detached from and disheartened by the bachanalian thuggery then surrounding us.  She purloined a couple of bottles of plonk from stores and possessed of a passkey led the way to the unoccupied attic suite.  We had no idea when 1994 passed into 1995.
    Tonight's dinner & TV won't be so very different from most other December 31st and none the worse for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:
    Wondering if the row I’m having with my wife will be over before the evening. ☹️
    Next year I reckon............
  • An evening at home with Litttle Miss Idle and a rack full of wine. Doing a youtube quiz from 8 then a zoom call with a couple of good mates, but won't be surprised to be in bed by 11.
    Don't much like NYE but always enjoy new years day - a long dog walk and a lunchtime pint. It's just that this year I will have to take it with me.
  • edited December 2020
    Home made South Indian curry with bottle of Buenas Vides Argentinian Shiraz.

Watch The Apartment with Jack Lemmon and Shirley Mclaine.

Tucked up in a warm bed before 11.

Just another day.
    How do you make your curry, what spices do you use?  I discovered tamarind paste about a year ago and it has sent my Dhansak to another level.
  • Couldn't get hold of one of these at the shop so I've made Treacle Tart - love it! I'm going to drink beer, plays some games and devour this. Happy New Year!

• Couldn't get hold of one of these at the shop so I've made Treacle Tart - love it! I'm going to drink beer, plays some games and devour this. Happy New Year!

That looks awesome!! 
  • At least the fireworks down the road have gone off already. I won't be disturbed when I go to bed at 9.
  • Cheeky ruby, few glasses of whiskey and convince the missus to let me watch skyfall. 
  • Shitloads of booze and I have the remnants of Gyoza (Sidcup) on my top, which in terms of fluids dripping down me is hopefully where my night's comparison with @DaveMehmet ends. 

I start a new playlist each year of music I have found throughout the year, and then on New Years eve I play it from start to finish. We tend to associate music with what was going on at the time we found it, for example, one song I always had on during my lunchtime walks during the pandemic, so in a way it can be a good way to reminisce about your year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Beer, delivery from Guyoza in Sidcup (best Chinese/Asian takeaway I’ve had by far) and a film.
    Huskaris said:
    Beer, delivery from Guyoza in Sidcup (best Chinese/Asian takeaway I’ve had by far) and a film.
    Funny, I'm planning literally the same thing.... To complete the trio... What film?
    Snap! We're currently waiting for them to deliver. Hope they don't take too long as we have a Zoom get together booked for 8.30! 
  • While we're on the subject, NYE is pure shite isn't it?

You've clearly never been invited to a Kyle Walker NYE party
    It's true, I am one of the very few people not to have been to Kyle Walker's house during lockdown.
  • Staying in with .Mrs RM (who became Tee Total, in September), I'll be having a nice mature Rioja, watching some TV, off to bed after Jules Holland's program! 
    Happy New Year everyone!!
  • edited December 2020
    Getting a curry from Shampan, will have a couple of beers with that then a few G&Ts. Will see what shite is being served up TV and will probably be in bed before midnight

• Sorted ( the head being the minus ) 
  • Doing jays virtual pub quiz at 8.15 aswell who has been brilliant this year for a family bit of fun that we can all do 
  • Home made South Indian curry with bottle of Buenas Vides Argentinian Shiraz.

Watch The Apartment with Jack Lemmon and Shirley Mclaine.

Tucked up in a warm bed before 11.

Just another day.
    How do you make your curry, what spices do you use?  I discovered tamarind paste about a year ago and it has sent my Dhansak to another level.
    Love the taste of Tamarind 
  • edited December 2020
    Doing jays virtual pub quiz at 8.15 aswell who has been brilliant this year for a family bit of fun that we can all do 
    Thats the one! Known in this house as Boring Jay, but fair play to the bloke, his quizzes have generally been excellent, and we've been doing them from the start. Recommended, especially if you have two or three generations in your household.
  • Cheeky ruby, few glasses of whiskey and convince the missus to let me watch skyfall. 
    Was not how I thought that was going to end.
    Haha I wish, not a chance in hell, considering she gave birth on Christmas eve.