Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2021 Thread

Comments

• Options
    So helping out Tui, as Blackpool has just done, and we did last year is not always reciprocated. 
  • Options
    can't see us going out to Cyprus this year as planned, things are just too up in the air. We are lucky in that we are staying with friends so it's just the flights to worry about but I just can't see the point in booking and then having to reschedule later.
  • Options
    So helping out Tui, as Blackpool has just done, and we did last year is not always reciprocated. 
    Perhaps not.
    I'm my case I always try and book my holiday in my local shop.
    Getting to know the staff personally they do seem to try their best to help. 
    Not sure what sort of service you will get online. 
    Can only comment on my own experience. 
  • Options
    Perhaps not.
    I'm my case I always try and book my holiday in my local shop.
    Getting to know the staff personally they do seem to try their best to help. 
    Not sure what sort of service you will get online. 
    Can only comment on my own experience. 
    Getting to know staff is definitely more helpful than calling a customer service number and chatting to someone different every time. For the past 15 months, I’ve personally called every client when it came to the moment there trip would not go ahead, 99% postponed, and I’m certain it was the personal touch which aided this and stopped them from cancelling and asking for the full refund. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The girl we spoke to was very nice and sympathetic understanding we were losing £600 out of trying to help the company/industry. She said she couldn't do anything due to company policy. We even told them we were postponing for a year rather than cancelling at the time in support of the industry. Of course we won't be using Tui again which will lose them a fair bit of money and we are not the best endorsement of the company. I'm sure your company would be more understanding Stoneroses19.
  • Options
    It’s a really difficult situation, especially when the amber list and FCDO guidelines do not match up. Very much see both sides, that it’s unfair on the decision you’ve had to make and difficult on TUI who have to look long term and protect the company in still being around in 5 years time. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Yes, but in straightforward terms we helped them out and it cost us £600. They could have turned the £600 into vouchers which would have meant our next holiday would have been booked through them as we can't shop on Amazon with them. They tried to blackmail us into booking a holiday we couldn't book due to circumstances with my son. I think in moral terms it isn't a one side or the other argument and you can probably understand why we won't use that company again.
  • Options
    Yes, but in straightforward terms we helped them out and it cost us £600. They could have turned the £600 into vouchers which would have meant our next holiday would have been booked through them as we can't shop on Amazon with them. They tried to blackmail us into booking a holiday we couldn't book due to circumstances with my son. I think in moral terms it isn't a one side or the other argument and you can probably understand why we won't use that company again.
    I just had a quick search on TUI website for an up to date policy for cancellations etc. 

You can use your refund credit note and booking incentive to book any holiday that's currently on sale. ... If you're not ready to book right now, you can hold onto your refund credit note and incentive and book at a later date up to 30 September 2021.

It seems they are offering refund credit notes, which are offered up to the end of September 2021, which is in keeping with the authorisation from the government. Surprised you wasn’t offered this, unless TUI are only offering credit refund notes for holidays to countries restricted by FCDO and not just the amber list or covid in general. 
  • Options
    I took vouchers from Air Canada and the government has made them offer refunds for travel last year... so I thought 'great' and tried to claim a refund, took me through a few hastily built web pages (one was a dead end so had to start again a couple of times), so I thought sod it I'll just extent the voucher, clicked that... straight to "thanks, enjoy your voucher". They got me.

• Options
    We won't be travelling to Tenerife for the week's accommodation we own in October. Too much hassle, uncertainty & the likelihood of high air fares once/if travel is allowed. 

Hopefully, we'll be able to make the trip next year but will not be looking at flights until Spring.

Our 2020 planned Riviera Travel holiday based at Lake Como was cancelled and our deposit refunded so might be reviewing this one for June 2022. 

We were hoping to cover a few away T20 matches, staying in the areas for a night or two but Kent seem to still be playing silly b*ggers with nothing on sale thus far. 

So, for the foreseeable future, guess we'll be pinning our hopes on fortnightly trips to The Valley once the season starts plus lots of away travel, regulations permitting. 

It is what it is as someone once said....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We won't be travelling to Tenerife for the week's accommodation we own in October. Too much hassle, uncertainty & the likelihood of high air fares once/if travel is allowed. 

Hopefully, we'll be able to make the trip next year but will not be looking at flights until Spring.

Our 2020 planned Riviera Travel holiday based at Lake Como was cancelled and our deposit refunded so might be reviewing this one for June 2022. 

We were hoping to cover a few away T20 matches, staying in the areas for a night or two but Kent seem to still be playing silly b*ggers with nothing on sale thus far. 

So, for the foreseeable future, guess we'll be pinning our hopes on fortnightly trips to The Valley once the season starts plus lots of away travel, regulations permitting. 

It is what it is as someone once said....
    Can you get 'away' tickets for the T20s? Not quite like the away end at football?

Have you contacted Kent to ask why?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I just had a quick search on TUI website for an up to date policy for cancellations etc. 

You can use your refund credit note and booking incentive to book any holiday that's currently on sale. ... If you're not ready to book right now, you can hold onto your refund credit note and incentive and book at a later date up to 30 September 2021.

It seems they are offering refund credit notes, which are offered up to the end of September 2021, which is in keeping with the authorisation from the government. Surprised you wasn’t offered this, unless TUI are only offering credit refund notes for holidays to countries restricted by FCDO and not just the amber list or covid in general. 
    We certainly weren't. Although we wanted to cancel for this year and book something next year when we knew when we will be available. They gave us less than a week to book a new holiday. My son is going away so we can't book anything up to September now and that is uncertain anyway with Covid. Anyway, Flexibility isn't a two way street as I would say being content to have vouchers which we have to spend with Tui for our own money isn't unreasonable and Covid can hardly be pinned on us. You may think otherwise. We don't think our helpfulness has been returned but it will cost them a fair bit in future business from us that doesn't seem to me to be good business. We just put the £600 down to experience. It isn't going to break us but we don't feel Tui have been helpful at all. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    We are going to book a villa in Italy for June 2022 through VRBO, but it has a cancelation clause up until May 2022 when you get all your money back. We are going to book it today or tomorrow because of this.
  • Options
    Got a 5k holiday for Greece booked and paid for next year. Didn't take the chance on this year, so a week in a caravan in Dymchurch this year for the missus and kids.
  • Options
    We have a week in a dog friendly lodge with a hot tub in Wimborne booked.
  • Options
    Lucking out big time with the weather this week was paid back with a painful 4 1/2hr drive to do just 110 miles. Road network in this country sucks 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Lucking out big time with the weather this week was paid back with a painful 4 1/2hr drive to do just 110 miles. Road network in this country sucks 
    Took my aunt 6 hours to get to Suffolk today from bexley 😬
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Took my aunt 6 hours to get to Suffolk today from bexley 😬
    I was doing the reverse. Took 90 mins just to get over the bridge from the last junction
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    You need to leave earlier mate.
    When me and the wife went to Devon a few years ago the mother in law rang at 8.30am to say have a safe journey.
    The wifes reply was were nearly there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We came back from a short (4 day) break to Bournemouth on Saturday. We were very lucky with the weather and had an excellent time.
  • Options
    Greetings from Norfolk,  its pissing down. 
  • Options
    Just back from 4 wonderful nights in Cheddar Gorge with Featherdown.  My two kids had a cracking time which meant me and Mrs did too.

• Options
    Just back from 4 wonderful nights in Cheddar Gorge with Featherdown.  My two kids had a cracking time which meant me and Mrs did too.

A beautiful hen 🙂
  • Options
    Seems far too much hassle going abroad this year so the odd day trip with an early start will have to do. The road network is a potential nightmare though - keep getting stuck in motorway traffic.
  • Options
    Bar the shite traffic back, had a cracking week on the very underrated Suffolk coast. Weather obviously a massive help, but did 4 beaches from Walberswick to Lowerstoft and loved the area.

pubs and restaurants very busy, been eating and drinking inside and out and for a few great days, bar some minimal mask wearing and a couple of app check ins, it really felt as if Covid just wasn’t a thing. So nice to get away from the house and treat the kids to fun days again. 

We massive lucked out with the weather. It’s such a shame we don’t get a bit more guarantee of summer sun / dry days as the UK coastline is fantastic.
    Did you stay at a holiday park @AFKABartram
  • Options
    My hotel down in the New Forest has a Pullman Orient Express carriage attached to it, that they serve breakfast in.

I've told the wife I'll need a cold shower afterwards
  • Options
    Booked a pool villa on Koh Samui for a month in a few weeks, just to get out of Bangkok. Hoping Thailand changes the quarantine length for getting back into the country so can leave and return for Christmas back in the UK.

• Options
    Transferred our holiday to France from last, to this August. Not confident it will go ahead. If it doesn’t, we’ll look for something in the UK but will probably all be booked up by then. If we’re able to, we’re looking to do a few days in Paris for the October half term, and incorporate Disneyland.
    Made the decision to sack France off and booked a lodge at a park in the New Forest. We’ll lose our deposit if by some chance we were able to do France but we paid that 2 years ago so won’t miss it. 

I bought Goodwood revival tickets when they went on sale a couple of weeks ago. It’s not until September but can’t see it going ahead though. Reserved hotel rooms but have until the day before to cancel.
    Looks like we’re going to be able to transfer our French holiday to next year. We’ve also added a couple of nights at Paultons Park at the end of the New Forest week. 

We’ve got a couple of nights in Brighton next week. Treated ourselves and booked The Grand for Thursday. Decided we wanted an extra night but by the time we went to book, there were none left in The Grand and not that many in Brighton at all. Thankfully we’ve booked restaurants for both nights as I have a feeling it will be busy.
    Had a cracking couple of days here. Yesterday was rainy so spent the day wandering around the Lanes, stopping every once in a while for food/drinks and spending too much money.

Lovely day today so had breakfast at a beach cafe, don’t think the beach will be this quiet for too long