Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2021 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Any recommendations for a seaside night away somewhere not mobbed with a couple of pubs etc somewhere nice for dinner - within in 60/90 minute drive of Bexley? 

• Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Sage said:
    Booked Florida well over a year ago to go away in September this year, got notification yesterday that the outbound flight has been cancelled.

I know it’s looking extremely unlikely, but still hoping US open their borders to us soon and can somehow still go.

Anyone got any idea?
    An airline out there seem to think the earliest will be late October / early November.

We're due to go Florida mid October. Can't see it happening.
    It’s madness really that you can go to another country for 2 weeks and then enter the US. It’s also madness that they can come here without quarantine and go back again but won’t let us in.

Seen lots of pressure from our side to try and get them to open but doubt it’ll happen myself. Virgin Atlantic saying they’re hoping for September but no word from US at all.

Hope you manage to go in October.
  • Options
    Over in the Isle of Wight for the first time, loving the place - kids having a great time, would highly recommend 
    My favourite place, have had many wonderful holidays on the IOW, there is so much to see and do. The scenery is beautiful and it it is like stepping onto a different world.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday.
  • Options
    Any recommendations for a seaside night away somewhere not mobbed with a couple of pubs etc somewhere nice for dinner - within in 60/90 minute drive of Bexley? 

Deal is pretty decent mate and has plenty of pubs
  • Options

Hythe is nice. Not been for a little while but the pubs there were decent and plenty of places to eat. Of course, the overriding reason to stay there is the miniature steam railway.
  • Options

Folkestone. Dinner in Rocksalt on the harbour and drinks on the harbour arm or many pubs.  

Margate. dinner at new street bistro and drinks in the micro brewery the two halves

Deal. Dinner in The Rose and tons of pubs. 

• Options
    I’ve had enough of these grey clouds and just booked a flight to Nice and a return from Carcassonne. A couple of weeks of blue sky and smoke as the wildfires rage in the places I want to visit along the cote d’azur. I might have to detour further west into Espana. 
  • Options
    Has anone booked the tests required for treval to amber countries and can pass on the details please.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’ve had enough of these grey clouds and just booked a flight to Nice and a return from Carcassonne. A couple of weeks of blue sky and smoke as the wildfires rage in the places I want to visit along the cote d’azur. I might have to detour further west into Espana. 
    If you do go west, I highly recommend a visit to a Cathar castle or two. The views are magnificent.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Parents off to Cyprus at the end of this month. In laws off to Portugal at the end of next month. I'm off to sunny Suffolk at the start of next month 🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Solidgone said:
    If you do go west, I highly recommend a visit to a Cathar castle or two. The views are magnificent.
    Good idea - thanks. 
  • Options
    As much as I cant stand ryanair, there are some seriously cheap flights to sunny destinations at the moment. The whole faff and cost of PCR tests pre departure, pre return and day 2 return put me right off though.
  • Options
     The whole faff and cost of PCR tests pre departure, pre return and day 2 return put me right off though.
    It's not so bad. Just back from Greece. For the test before flying home, I took a test with me. https://www.cooppharmacy.coop/products/pharmacy/covid-19-test-kits-for-travel/c19-testing-covid-19-return-to-the-uk-pre-departure-test-kit/?variationCode=C19-Testing-COVID-19-Return-to-the-UK-Pre-Departure-test-kit_2

The 72 hours is a maximum so to allow for any delays to the flight I did it 48 hours before the scheduled flight time. You do the test yourself - up the nose - and send a picture of the test block next to your passport and send that back. I got the cert about 2 hours later and got the hotel to print the certificate out.

You will also need to have booked a day two test to take on your return. Loads to choose from, I found one for £50. https://dantelabs.co.uk/ A rip off, but les of a rip off than others.

• Options
    ChiAddick said:
    As much as I cant stand ryanair, there are some seriously cheap flights to sunny destinations at the moment. The whole faff and cost of PCR tests pre departure, pre return and day 2 return put me right off though.
     Vowed never to use those bastards again after 4 hours on the Budapest apron a couple of years ago in 36 degree heat and not even a bottle of water offered.
  • Options
    Has anone booked the tests required for treval to amber countries and can pass on the details please.
    We have recently returned from a couple of weeks in Spain (two fully vaccinated adults and a 17 year old).
    My son had to have a test before we went; we all had to have zoom call monitored tests two days before returning and we all had to do day 2 tests after we got back.

We booked my son's test and the three day 2 tests with Randox health (£48 per test but reduced to £43 each as flying with Ryanair).

The zoom call monitored tests were booked with a company called Breathe Assured and cost £40 each.

Although I was apprehensive beforehand, everything meant smoothly with the tests and we received the result of my son's test on the way out in good time. The only hardship was dropping the Randox tests off, as they have drop boxes dotted around and our nearest one from Broadstairs was at the Medway services.

It was a bit of extra hassle and money but I'm glad that we did it.

• Options
    ChiAddick said:
    We have just used Ryanair for the first time because of the low prices and I was seriously worried, having read reviews of massive queues and people missing their flights.
    It couldn't have gone any smoother both ways. We just gave ourselves a little bit more time (which we would have done anyway because of Covid-19 documentation at passport control) and had no problems at all.
    I'll definitely consider using Ryanair in the future. 
  • Options
    Has anone booked the tests required for travel to amber countries and can pass on the details please.
    We have recently returned from a couple of weeks in Spain (two fully vaccinated adults and a 17 year old).
    My son had to have a test before we went; we all had to have zoom call monitored tests two days before returning and we all had to do day 2 tests after we got back.

We booked my son's test and the three day 2 tests with Randox health (£48 per test but reduced to £43 each as flying with Ryanair).

The zoom call monitored tests were booked with a company called Breathe Assured and cost £40 each.

Although I was apprehensive beforehand, everything meant smoothly with the tests and we received the result of my son's test on the way out in good time. The only hardship was dropping the Randox tests off, as they have drop boxes dotted around and our nearest one from Broadstairs was at the Medway services.

Many thanks. We are due to go to Spain in mid-September for 10 days - not planning booking nay tests yet as so much could change between now and then, but useful to know who others have used.  We're taking the view we might be going rather than we are, so it's a bonus if we do (we will book somewhere we can go to if we can't go to Spain). We're going to go away again before Christmas, but will not book until the last minute unless things look more certain.
  • Options
    Has anone booked the tests required for travel to amber countries and can pass on the details please.

Many thanks. We are due to go to Spain in mid-September for 10 days - not planning booking nay tests yet as so much could change between now and then, but useful to know who others have used.  We're taking the view we might be going rather than we are, so it's a bonus if we do (we will book somewhere we can go to if we can't go to Spain). We're going to go away again before Christmas, but will not book until the last minute unless things look more certain.

That's the attitude that we took. There's no need to book anything in advance at the moment, as you can always find something at short notice. 
  • Options

Same here. Intention to go away October November time, but not bothering with advance booking ... wait and see how it goes. 
  • Options
    I'm thinking of going to Edinburgh for a few days in November. Anyone been recently and can recommend hotel, restaurants, places to visit?

Thanks in advance 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wilma said:
    I'm thinking of going to Edinburgh for a few days in November. Anyone been recently and can recommend hotel, restaurants, places to visit?

Thanks in advance 
    My family are all from there so I know it quite well, If you want to pm me your budget, food preferences and the sort of things you like to visit, I can make some suggestions - lots of great pubs
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Thanks in advance 
    My family are all from there so I know it quite well, If you want to pm me your budget, food preferences and the sort of things you like to visit, I can make some suggestions - lots of great pubs
    But generally, if you fancy a pub crawl, Rose Street or The Grassmarket are ideal although there are great pubs elsewhere
  • Options
    Currently on the French Riviera (Cavalaire sur mer). While in Nice/Monaco every bar restaurant has to see your Covid Vaccine certification and scan the QR code before admittance. I did see a couple turned away. Although it’s on my phone, i have a paper copy in my wallet for easier access. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Currently on the French Riviera (Cavalaire sur mer). While in Nice/Monaco every bar restaurant has to see your Covid Vaccine certification and scan the QR code before admittance. I did see a couple turned away. Although it’s on my phone, i have a paper copy in my wallet for easier access. 
    Been told the same in Spain
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    just read that about France. Apparently doesn't currently apply to U15's but will do from end September?
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Thanks in advance 
    Messaged you, thank you :-)
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Thanks in advance 
    If you have ever read any of Ian Rankin’s Rebus books the organised Rebus tour is brilliant.
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Thanks in advance 
    I am going for the Christmas markets at the end of November. I booked a few weeks ago and during this time the travelodge I have booked as doubled in price. If the are thinking of going got the markets get in quick, the prices are increasing rapidly. I have booked the train for less than £60 each first class.
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Thanks in advance 
    I am going for the Christmas markets at the end of November. I booked a few weeks ago and during this time the travelodge I have booked as doubled in price. If the are thinking of going got the markets get in quick, the prices are increasing rapidly. I have booked the train for less than £60 each first class.
    We’ve booked Winchester for the Christmas markets this year. It’s supposed to be a good one, anyone been?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Been told the same in Spain
    It wasn't where I was, didn't get asked once for any form of certification although it may happen in the big cities.