Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2021 Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    For those planning on a holiday in the next few months, here’s a short overview of some insurance companies covering Covid when travelling. There are others, but this at least a quick list to see how most companies are including Covid cover. 

With all travel insurance, please check the FCDO travel advice because it has implications on your cover
    That does depend though. The rules and cover within travel insurance is fixed and won’t change, but FCDO advice for each country is flexible and can change on a daily basis. If you’re booking a holiday for November, there’s no way of knowing what the FCDO advice will be for your destination, but you can at least purchase travel insurance with covid cover at the time you book your holiday, you’ll then have a better chance of full refund of cancellation occurs due to covid. 
    Yes, but always worth checking right up until you go, although of course it can also depend on your insurance policy and if you have cover for covid, as there are b=various ones that cover different covid scenarios. The main thing I wanted to highlight, in case people weren't aware is that whilst Spain is amber, which means you shouldn't go on a holiday (at the moment) and the FCDO TA is all but essential travel, but it is not all but essential travel for the islands.

I would have thought that there may be implications on your cancellation cover, depending on your policy, on the TA when you booked your holiday. With work, if it was ok to go to a country when you booked, and the quarantine situation changes, you do not need to use annual leave to quarantine, but you do otherwise
  • Options
    Talk to me about the Suffolk coast people,

Southwold - Kessingland - Lowestoft. Nice area to stay, things to do with kids etc?
    Nice part of the world but very flat so suffers from the wind, even on a hot day the wind can be blowing at a fair old rate. 
  • Options
    Just booked me week away  in pevensey

• Options
    clb74 said:

Bloody hell that is ridiculous. I’d pay that for yearly rental but a week? 
  • Options
    Is that a usual price for a UK holiday rental in August or are companies seriously taking advantage of another summer where international holidays won’t be as accessible as before. 
  • Options
    Off to Lyme Regis next Saturday for a week. Never been - any tips? Two nights in Sandbanks at the end. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Bloody hell that is ridiculous. I’d pay that for yearly rental but a week? 
    A couple of years ago it was £7500 a year to have your lodge/caravan on the site.
  • Options
    Welcome to the world of UK school holiday prices...
  • Options
    Is that a usual price for a UK holiday rental in August or are companies seriously taking advantage of another summer where international holidays won’t be as accessible as before. 
    Think the last week in August is about £1000.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

I'm assuming you get to keep all of the furniture and the TV at the end of the 7 days for that price?
    I'd want that week in August for the next 5 years for that money.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Off to Lyme Regis next Saturday for a week. Never been - any tips? Two nights in Sandbanks at the end. 
    Lyme Regis is simply wonderful, you’ll have a great time. Love it there 
  • Options
    That Pevensey Bay price is why I have never bothered looking too hard at holidays in the UK.  What an absolute rip-off.  
  • Options
    I should think there are couples/families out there who would pay near enough anything to getaway for a week after the year weve had.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Not been there for a while but it’s a beautiful place B. Lots of nice restaurants in the town.
  • Options
    I would have thought that is so high this year because of the current situation, as well as having the usual summer holiday premium. Virtually impossible to avoid the premium during school holidays which is hard on those who can only go away then due to their job and/or having kids. And for those who are able to go away at other times, whilst lucky to be able to avoid the price hike, are maybe less likely to choose a UK holiday as the best weather often during the school summer holidays.
  • Options
    Haven have said they are full across their 40 sites this week, bookings up over 25% on 2 years ago. 

It’s painful paying such a premium, but it’s market forces sadly and people are willing to pay it to get a break.

• Options
    Haven have said they are full across their 40 sites this week, bookings up over 25% on 2 years ago. 

It’s painful paying such a premium, but it’s market forces sadly and people are willing to pay it to get a break.

What I dont understand in the day of social media is no ones taken on these firms.
    Boycott one of these firms one summer by not booking with them.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

What I dont understand in the day of social media is no ones taken on these firms.
    Boycott one of these firms one summer by not booking with them.
    But you've just booked a week's stay for £3,658 with one of "these firms". That'll show em...

But as an aside, if you look at the economics of virtually any holiday company, domestic or overseas, it's the summer occupancy at premium prices that enables them to exist.

6-8 weeks of high revenue effectively enables them to offset the losses they make during the rest of the year. 

It's the nature of the travel industry and one that will never be any different (and why every years "outrage" at school holiday prices dies off once people start investigating and realise that without variable seasonal pricing, there would be no holiday companies for us to use and enjoy...)
  • Options
    Tenby for a week in early July. Barbados booked for March 22. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Transferred our holiday to France from last, to this August. Not confident it will go ahead. If it doesn’t, we’ll look for something in the UK but will probably all be booked up by then. If we’re able to, we’re looking to do a few days in Paris for the October half term, and incorporate Disneyland.
    Made the decision to sack France off and booked a lodge at a park in the New Forest. We’ll lose our deposit if by some chance we were able to do France but we paid that 2 years ago so won’t miss it. 

I bought Goodwood revival tickets when they went on sale a couple of weeks ago. It’s not until September but can’t see it going ahead though. Reserved hotel rooms but have until the day before to cancel.
    Looks like we’re going to be able to transfer our French holiday to next year. We’ve also added a couple of nights at Paultons Park at the end of the New Forest week. 

We’ve got a couple of nights in Brighton next week. Treated ourselves and booked The Grand for Thursday. Decided we wanted an extra night but by the time we went to book, there were none left in The Grand and not that many in Brighton at all. Thankfully we’ve booked restaurants for both nights as I have a feeling it will be busy.
  • Options

I have booked a decent cottage in Devon with a view of the sea for a week August holidays for £700 (sleeps 6). 
    A cottage with a private heated pool 5 mins from the coast in Wales for £800 (sleeps 5). 
    A really lovely cottage 10mins walk from Burnham on Sea for £800 October half term (sleeps 4) and a week in Cheddar Gorge for £450 during school holidays too (sleeps 6).  

Guess it depends if you shop around a little.
  • Options
    In Norfolk at the moment, the weather has been lovely, although much cooler tonight, hotel near the beach , beach fairly empty, going to book to come back again, loved it.
  • Options
    Slightly cheating as this is the end of next year, but been and still planning our holiday of a lifetime for our retirement, we are lucky to be able to do this and it’s still work in progress, but basically it kicks off late October 2022 with 2 days in Istanbul then a 73 night luxury cruise to Auckland via, Dubai, Luxor, India, Australia and finally New Zealand, followed by a short 4 days tours around New Zealand, then a  flight back to Dubai for two nights in the desert before the final leg home. We are looking at some fabulous trip including sea plane and helicopter trips (both on our bucket list), whilst on the cruise. We will also be calling into Brisbane to see my brother for the first time in around 10 years. Mind you if Covid doesn’t relent I might well be wasting my time.

@CharltonKerry I’d reluctantly do a swapsie with our Weymouth caravan week.

you would have to babysit both my kids and my parents though :-) 
    As much as I would like to accept your very kind offer. I think on this occasion I’m going to have to decline your very kind offer. 

When I read you were going to haven in Weymouth, it actually brought back memories of one of our early holidays with my kids, which was I assume the same site as you are going to, must be 38 years ago, it was in June and scorching hot, we had two girls at the time, one 8 months the other 3 years, we spent the whole holiday in the swimming poo; teaching the eldest to swim, and the little one got her first lessons as well with a life belt on. It was a glorious 2 weeks which we couldn’t afford but we somehow managed it. Our youngest girl left a nice present in the pool one which apparently was my job to retrieve without anyone seeing (went into a lot more details about this on her wedding day oh and I accidentally forgot to mention she was only 8 months old). We also had a lovely surprise the following year as we were featured on the front page of Haven brochure for all there holidays.
  • Options
    Slightly cheating as this is the end of next year, but been and still planning our holiday of a lifetime for our retirement, we are lucky to be able to do this and it’s still work in progress, but basically it kicks off late October 2022 with 2 days in Istanbul then a 73 night luxury cruise to Auckland via, Dubai, Luxor, India, Australia and finally New Zealand, followed by a short 4 days tours around New Zealand, then a  flight back to Dubai for two nights in the desert before the final leg home. We are looking at some fabulous trip including sea plane and helicopter trips (both on our bucket list), whilst on the cruise. We will also be calling into Brisbane to see my brother for the first time in around 10 years. Mind you if Covid doesn’t relent I might well be wasting my time.

Mate, don’t knock caravan holidays. We booked a last last minute week down in New Romney last summer and had a fantastic break. Admittedly, we had the weather by my daughter said she enjoyed it just as much as when we pay a fortune for 2 weeks all inclusive in Spain.
  • Options
    We are off to broadlands sand holiday park in lowestoft in september. Monday to Friday for £360 for a platinum lodge. Booked that last year sometime and it's out of school holidays so cant really argue with that price.

No holidays abroad this year yet and tbh cant see us bothering :(
  • Options
    Two of three holidays had so far,  Hastings and Telscombe Cliffs.  Devon to come.
  • Options

Mate, don’t knock caravan holidays. We booked a last last minute week down in New Romney last summer and had a fantastic break. Admittedly, we had the weather by my daughter said she enjoyed it just as much as when we pay a fortune for 2 weeks all inclusive in Spain.
    Not knocking at all mate, probably had about 40-50 UK caravan holidays. Pretty much all we’ve done the last 10 years. Love them. 

Wouldn't say no to that world cruise though :-) 

@CharltonKerry not staying at that one, another in Weymouth.