Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2021 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Just finished 5 days cycling in Scotland. Started at Ayr and finished in Fort William via Bute, Islay, Jura, Oban, Mull, Lochaline......amazing. But carrying your own kit in the heat was so tough!
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    Off to Cornwall next month, any recommendations of places to visit / eat,gratefully received, thank you.

Ive been to the Eden project before, and the Lost gardens of Heligan (yes I found them) so probably wouldn’t go back to them.

Went a lot to Cornwall as a kid for summer holidays , stayed on a farm , as had family down there, but that was over 40 years ago, and I’m sure things have changed!
    Where in Cornwall are you going to? I know quite a lot of nice places between Hayle and Penzance. 
    St Ives.
    Mousehole is always lovely, so you can’t go wrong here. The Coastguard is also really nice for food and drinks. 

I’d recommend using the King Harry Ferry on the way there. It’s a great experience. Once you reach the other side, stop off and St Just-in Roseland Church. The grounds are beautiful, and it’s right by the water. 

Lovely food and right by Porthleven harbour. 

Nice place for daytime food. Good portion sizes, dog friendly, near the water. Friendly staff. 

Beautiful beach nearby, good daytime / evening option. Plenty of parking. Lovey staff. 

Small venue with limited parking, but a really nice, simple menu and plenty of fantastic drinks options to choose from if you fancy a few..?! 

There are lots of others, but these are all near (ish) where we stay in Hayle and we’ve been more than once to all of them. 

It’s in Newlyn, so pretty close to you. They don’t take bookings, but it’s well worth rocking up on the day. 

Really nice position in St Ives, lovely food and beautiful views out to sea. Further towards Carbis Bay is Porthminster beach where you’ll find The Porthminster Beach Café which
    is part of the same group. We really like it there. 

Make sure you book things NOW or you won’t get much joy if you leave it any longer! 

• Options
    Back in the New Forest again, loved it so much last time. Brought my England flag with me, might need a few shandies first before I get up the brave Juice to fly it outside the window, Engerlaaand!
    Just returned after a week down there in glorious weather. Not quite Skiathos but it's the first time I've ever been to the New Forest area itself and was mightily impressed, it's stunning.

Stayed in a signature lodge on a park called 'Shorefield, near Milford on Sea. Not sure I would stay there again (very nice, mind you), so if anyone has any other recommendations in the area (2 adults, no children) I would appreciate it. Looking at returning for the last week in September.
    We’re off to Shorefield on Monday, in a signature lodge too. Any reason why you wouldn’t stay again? 

Did you try any of the restaurants in the town (and is it within walking distance)?
    No major reason, Dave, just like variety, that's all. There's a footpath from the site that takes you down into Milford on Sea. It starts quite near to where the signature lodges are located. Sign says that it's half a mile walk, whereas the drive is a good 2 miles. Also a 2 mile walk through the woods down to Milford. Didn't do any of the walks though as we had elderly in-laws with us.

The signature lodges are lovely mate, sauna and a hot tub! The park is big but well laid out and the signature lodges are in a good location, not too far to walk to the indoor pool and entertainments complex.

We had food on one evening in the site restaurant. I must say, we were really impressed. The fish and chips is excellent. They have a good system also where you can download the 'Shorefield Eat' app, go find a table, and then order using the app. It really worked well.

You'll be given a complimentary disposable BBQ (that's all you are allowed to use on the BBQ at the lodge); recommend you take a few more down there with you. The site shop is ok, and there is a Tesco and a Lidl about a 10 minute drive away.

The Royal Oak at the end of Downton Lane is about half a mile away from the site entrance. We ate there one evening and it was excellent. Also highly recommend the Smugglers' Inn down in Milford on Sea village. Ate once in Lyndhurst at the White Rabbit (Chef and Brewer), again, it was decent. 

Highly recommend the 'hop on, hop off' tourist bus. The 'blue' route bus stops on site and you can also connect with the 'green' and 'red' route buses using the same ticket:

https://thenewforesttour.info/

We also visited Beaulieu and 'Buckler's Hard' (small village that Nelson had built on the River Beaulieu for his ship builders). You can get a short boat trip from here as well.

You'll have a great time.
    Thanks mate, very helpful.
  • Options
    Back in the New Forest again, loved it so much last time. Brought my England flag with me, might need a few shandies first before I get up the brave Juice to fly it outside the window, Engerlaaand!
    Just returned after a week down there in glorious weather. Not quite Skiathos but it's the first time I've ever been to the New Forest area itself and was mightily impressed, it's stunning.

Stayed in a signature lodge on a park called 'Shorefield, near Milford on Sea. Not sure I would stay there again (very nice, mind you), so if anyone has any other recommendations in the area (2 adults, no children) I would appreciate it. Looking at returning for the last week in September.
    We’re off to Shorefield on Monday, in a signature lodge too. Any reason why you wouldn’t stay again? 

Did you try any of the restaurants in the town (and is it within walking distance)?
    No major reason, Dave, just like variety, that's all. There's a footpath from the site that takes you down into Milford on Sea. It starts quite near to where the signature lodges are located. Sign says that it's half a mile walk, whereas the drive is a good 2 miles. Also a 2 mile walk through the woods down to Milford. Didn't do any of the walks though as we had elderly in-laws with us.

The signature lodges are lovely mate, sauna and a hot tub! The park is big but well laid out and the signature lodges are in a good location, not too far to walk to the indoor pool and entertainments complex.

We had food on one evening in the site restaurant. I must say, we were really impressed. The fish and chips is excellent. They have a good system also where you can download the 'Shorefield Eat' app, go find a table, and then order using the app. It really worked well.

You'll be given a complimentary disposable BBQ (that's all you are allowed to use on the BBQ at the lodge); recommend you take a few more down there with you. The site shop is ok, and there is a Tesco and a Lidl about a 10 minute drive away.

The Royal Oak at the end of Downton Lane is about half a mile away from the site entrance. We ate there one evening and it was excellent. Also highly recommend the Smugglers' Inn down in Milford on Sea village. Ate once in Lyndhurst at the White Rabbit (Chef and Brewer), again, it was decent. 

Highly recommend the 'hop on, hop off' tourist bus. The 'blue' route bus stops on site and you can also connect with the 'green' and 'red' route buses using the same ticket:

https://thenewforesttour.info/

We also visited Beaulieu and 'Buckler's Hard' (small village that Nelson had built on the River Beaulieu for his ship builders). You can get a short boat trip from here as well.

You'll have a great time.
    Thanks mate, very helpful.
    You're welcome, mate. I have just added a bit to that post about the 'contactless' check-in. I didn't know anything about it and was only told when I rung them last Monday morning with updated vehicle reg details. It's a really good system.
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    Just back from Hayle in Cornwall. Best week for weather we’ve ever had down there. Absolutely brilliant, and exactly what us and the kids needed. 
    Off that way next week how was traffic and how busy was it. I assume you went out of school times though.
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    Rylo said:
    Off to Cornwall next month, any recommendations of places to visit / eat,gratefully received, thank you.

Ive been to the Eden project before, and the Lost gardens of Heligan (yes I found them) so probably wouldn’t go back to them.

Went a lot to Cornwall as a kid for summer holidays , stayed on a farm , as had family down there, but that was over 40 years ago, and I’m sure things have changed!
    Where in Cornwall are you going to? I know quite a lot of nice places between Hayle and Penzance. 
    St Ives.
    Mousehole is always lovely, so you can’t go wrong here. The Coastguard is also really nice for food and drinks. 

I’d recommend using the King Harry Ferry on the way there. It’s a great experience. Once you reach the other side, stop off and St Just-in Roseland Church. The grounds are beautiful, and it’s right by the water. 

Lovely food and right by Porthleven harbour. 

Nice place for daytime food. Good portion sizes, dog friendly, near the water. Friendly staff. 

Beautiful beach nearby, good daytime / evening option. Plenty of parking. Lovey staff. 

Small venue with limited parking, but a really nice, simple menu and plenty of fantastic drinks options to choose from if you fancy a few..?! 

There are lots of others, but these are all near (ish) where we stay in Hayle and we’ve been more than once to all of them. 

It’s in Newlyn, so pretty close to you. They don’t take bookings, but it’s well worth rocking up on the day. 

Really nice position in St Ives, lovely food and beautiful views out to sea. Further towards Carbis Bay is Porthminster beach where you’ll find The Porthminster Beach Café which
    is part of the same group. We really like it there. 

Make sure you book things NOW or you won’t get much joy if you leave it any longer! 

Thanks Rylo, I thought it would take a bit of planning.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Rylo said:
    Just back from Hayle in Cornwall. Best week for weather we’ve ever had down there. Absolutely brilliant, and exactly what us and the kids needed. 
    Off that way next week how was traffic and how busy was it. I assume you went out of school times though.
    Couldn’t get any other week off unfortunately, so the Headteacher at my son’s school kindly gave us permission. Quite glad we got there before this week, but to be honest there were loads of kids down there already so I guess we were all in a similar situation.

Traffic was alright on the way down as we left at 5am. Took us just over 6 hours with one 45 minute break. The return journey took over 9 hours as we left at 9.30am and it was raining. Always slows things down. 

If you don’t leave too early and are happy to wait until you’re further down, then stop at Otter Valley in Monkton. https://www.ottervalleydairy.co.uk/

Bit nicer than the usual Starbucks franchise! 

• Options
    Thanks Rylo, hoping to set off about 6 AM on Saturday, but i am travelling from North Hampshire.
  • Options
    Thanks Rylo, hoping to set off about 6 AM on Saturday, but i am travelling from North Hampshire.
    You’re welcome. Have a fantastic time! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Existing EHIC cards are still valid too - although I would not be surprised if resistance is experienced tryiing to use one!

'If you are planning a holiday in a country in the European Union (EU), you might be wondering whether your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will still be valid.

As part of the deal announced on 24 December 2020, the UK and the EU agreed that the cards can still be used until their expiry dates.

After that, the government will issue a new Global Heath Insurance Card (GHIC) which will replace the EHIC for the majority of UK citizens.'

• Options
    Daily outrage in the press about the PCR test rip off for those returning from abroad. More expensive than the flights in many cases. Not much chance of it getting sorted out anytime soon by the looks of it.
  • Options
    All now cancelled, last cruise fall by the wayside a few weeks ago. Now looking forward to next year as we now got accumulated from the last 2 years cancellations and a booked dream cruise a total of 115 nights away over 4 cruises.
  • Options
    Had a great week down Weymouth way a fortnight ago. Holiday park and much of the local area suffering from Covid / isolating but didn’t affect us too badly. 

Was considering a night or two down Broadstairs way at the weekend, but seems largely no room at the inn that way.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Rebooked our annual golf trip to southern Spain for mid may. 
    Hopeful 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
    Hope this came off for you TL, having played a lot down there it's great with some super courses. Monte Mayor in La Cancelada is remarkable but hire a buggy. 
  • Options
    have flights booked to and from nice for 2nd week of sept mrs family have an apartment out there will go out there if i can. 
  • Options
    Had a great week down Weymouth way a fortnight ago. Holiday park and much of the local area suffering from Covid / isolating but didn’t affect us too badly. 

Was considering a night or two down Broadstairs way at the weekend, but seems largely no room at the inn that way.
    serious lack of hotels - have you tried air bnb? my aunt and uncle live down that way and we have just booked an air bnb for the festive period. 
  • Options
    We are off to Windsor next weekend for 2 x nights, 3 x days. Got the Castle booked for Saturday and a boat trip on the Thames booked for Sunday morning. The rest of the time will be spent exploring.  
  • Options
    Been looking forward to my family holiday more than usual this year.  Ruined by Covid.  Gutted.  Isolating.  :(

• Options
    Been looking forward to my family holiday more than usual this year.  Ruined by Covid.  Gutted.  Isolating.  :(

Sorry to hear that, hope you catch a break.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021

Weather permitting I was thinking about having a drive to Broadstairs for the day on Sunday. You are welcome can to buy me 10 pints if you are there as well.
  • Options
    Booked Florida well over a year ago to go away in September this year, got notification yesterday that the outbound flight has been cancelled.

I know it’s looking extremely unlikely, but still hoping US open their borders to us soon and can somehow still go.

Anyone got any idea?
  • Options
    Going island hopping in the Outer Hebrides in September. I'm sure I've posted that before... losing the plot!
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Booked Florida well over a year ago to go away in September this year, got notification yesterday that the outbound flight has been cancelled.

I know it’s looking extremely unlikely, but still hoping US open their borders to us soon and can somehow still go.

Anyone got any idea?
    An airline out there seem to think the earliest will be late October / early November.

We're due to go Florida mid October. Can't see it happening.
  • Options
    I’m in Scotland in September to visit brother in law and family and back to Edinburgh at the end of November for 3 nights for the Christmas market. Any one been? We would usually try one of the European ones but not this year 😢
  • Options
    Over in the Isle of Wight for the first time, loving the place - kids having a great time, would highly recommend 
  • Options
    I’m in Scotland in September to visit brother in law and family and back to Edinburgh at the end of November for 3 nights for the Christmas market. Any one been? We would usually try one of the European ones but not this year 😢
    Not been to the Christmas market in Edinburgh but the other markets I've been to there have been v good. I know EDI v well if you need any ideas
  • Options
    We did the Arras market in 2019 (which was superb) and had booked for Lille last year but obviously ended up cancelling. Have booked a hotel for Winchester this year as their Xmas market is supposed to be one of the best in the UK.
  • Options
    Anyone stayed in the fisherman’s huts on the beach in Whitstable? Fancy staying for a couple of nights sometime!  
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Anyone stayed in the fisherman’s huts on the beach in Whitstable? Fancy staying for a couple of nights sometime!  
    Yes last year for my 30th don’t bother - overpriced and 1 of ours got flooded ( we hired 6 out for family ) and our compensation was a meal in there crappy hotel with 1 drink 

also hard to sleep as so close to pavement