Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jayden Stockley (Ed. Page 12- 15/6 - SIGNED on permanent deal)

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I'm sure that's the line that will be eventually trotted out to explain how crap he's been
    Maybe there's some truth in it though?

Even if it is this, then it makes it an even stupider decision to play him up top in this manner and go into the season with him and Aneke as our main forwards.  Pathetic planning on our part 
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTCuanwCWBo

In Conversation | Jayden Stockley (October 2022)

• Options
    Chunes said:
    whatever Stockley is or isn't he always gives it a good go .. I was very disappointed on Saturday to see and hear after the game a few Addicks fans giving him terrible abuse, I mean REALLY nasty abuse .. if you must have a right go at someone chaps, save it for a player who doesn't ever seem to give a fig
    Sadly, there are an element of foul mouthed cretinous imbeciles at our club who dish out foul verbal abuse to individual players whenever the fancy takes them.
    Had a couple behind me at Wycombe who were picking on a couple of players without justification straight from kick-off.

I think the players have gotten off lightly over the past few seasons. A lot of fans gave them the benefit of the doubt, thinking they were all trying. Clearly a group of them have not been.

Cawley said the other day that JJ inherited a lot of discipline and professionalism problems. Garner is talking a lot about that recently as well... Professionalism and discipline! And saying we need the right characters in. I can only conclude that we've got some unprofessional, bad characters at our club. 

I don't doubt that Chunes, but I don't think the imbecilic element of our support are influenced one way or the other by anything other than their own prejudices.
    To take the example of Stockley, whatever his faults I doubt for a minute there are any internal discipline or professionalism issues
  • Options
    What was the thing last year wasn’t there a group called the bomb crew or something who were supposedly really off with Adkin’s? I’m sure someone said DJ was in it and told adkins to talk a walk. Could be wrong but that sticks out in my mind as something I definitely read.
  • Options
    th0rryy said:
    I really like the lad as a person and potential leader/captain, but something isn't right.

He currently looks like a very slow, unreactive CB being forced to play up top. Close to zero movement, not being as dominant in the air as he could be and not being in the correct place for potential chances. If we had anyone else, he'd be a sub at best and even then, I don't think he would make any impact.

Garner changed the system to, imo, partially try to accommodate him better. He is providing very little goal threat and is not getting involved in games. He's simply another body at corners/set-pieces until we are brave enough to bring Aneke on for 20+ minutes.

Not sure if there is anything lingering from the injury last season, but he's just not doing the business for us. Still think some L1 clubs may look at him, but wages would probably be a barrier for most.

If he's still in his early 20s, then I think we should loan him out (after bringing in some players in January)

Maybe afc Wimbledon might want him for 6months 

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    th0rryy said:
    I really like the lad as a person and potential leader/captain, but something isn't right.

He currently looks like a very slow, unreactive CB being forced to play up top. Close to zero movement, not being as dominant in the air as he could be and not being in the correct place for potential chances. If we had anyone else, he'd be a sub at best and even then, I don't think he would make any impact.

Garner changed the system to, imo, partially try to accommodate him better. He is providing very little goal threat and is not getting involved in games. He's simply another body at corners/set-pieces until we are brave enough to bring Aneke on for 20+ minutes.

Not sure if there is anything lingering from the injury last season, but he's just not doing the business for us. Still think some L1 clubs may look at him, but wages would probably be a barrier for most.

If he's still in his early 20s, then I think we should loan him out (after bringing in some players in January)

Maybe afc Wimbledon might want him for 6months 

He's 29 but more of the issue is this potential injury because no one is going to take him on loan with that. And I think there's more chance of us bringing one striker in than "some" in which case it's a pointless exercise to loan him out because we would be back to square one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I'm not sure he's got a lingering injury, I think maybe he's been found out. He's got awful balance for a footballer and I think defenders/coaches have realised they just have to knock him and he'll lose his centre, then push into him and he's not going to be in a position to win a header or keep the ball. I'm sure other people have noticed every time a goal kick is launched towards him, it ends up with the defenders clearly winning the header and Jayden's body is all over the place.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I'm not sure he's got a lingering injury, I think maybe he's been found out. He's got awful balance for a footballer and I think defenders/coaches have realised they just have to knock him and he'll lose his centre, then push into him and he's not going to be in a position to win a header or keep the ball. I'm sure other people have noticed every time a goal kick is launched towards him, it ends up with the defenders clearly winning the header and Jayden's body is all over the place.
    Has he always been like that though? I'm sure he used to win a lot more of those headers than he does now. He just seems to have no spring at all. 
  • Options
    Deffo used to win most headers
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Talal said:
    Chunes said:
    Has he always been like that though? I'm sure he used to win a lot more of those headers than he does now. He just seems to have no spring at all. 
    In his first spell with us, he used to win absolutely everything. But I think defenders let him stand off them and take a Shaun Bartlett-style angled run and leap. Now they're constantly on his back shoving him and I don't even see that he gets the chance to jump anymore. I may be wrong but that's just my observation. 
  • Options
    Not sure this is a new thing 
  • Options
    Something has definitely changed, as he used to be far more dominant in the air, finding space and getting dangerous attacking headers away. Now the defenders are able to mark him easily.
  • Options
    Something has definitely changed, as he used to be far more dominant in the air, finding space and getting dangerous attacking headers away. Now the defenders are able to mark him easily.
    Defenders can only mark a striker easily if the striker is lacking anticipation and movement.
    Static forwards are a defenders dream.

Strikers are all about anticipation and movement, to find those pockets of space between defenders.
    I mean Ladapo's goal last Saturday, was superb the way he created space for himself on the edge of the box to rifle home Ipswich's 3rd goal.

That's one way. Another is more typical of the 'fox in the box' style, where the striker always happens to be just in the right place every time.
    Coincidence? Nope. He's anticipating situations before they are happening and always a split second in front of defenders with his sharp thinking and movement.

In Stockley's case, it's about timing his run surely? He's got to be reading situations as they develop, timing his run with split second reaction ahead of his marker. He was doing that before this season in different gameplans - and while the system is now different, he's not doing it now.

It's almost like he's given up expecting aerial crosses into the box?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The enormous wait for any service to come his way makes it piss easy for defenders to nullify him, especially when he's up central alone.  There's precious little service coming and the vast majority of it is shit.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Defenders can only mark a striker easily if the striker is lacking anticipation and movement.
    Static forwards are a defenders dream.

Strikers are all about anticipation and movement, to find those pockets of space between defenders.
    I mean Ladapo's goal last Saturday, was superb the way he created space for himself on the edge of the box to rifle home Ipswich's 3rd goal.

That's one way. Another is more typical of the 'fox in the box' style, where the striker always happens to be just in the right place every time.
    Coincidence? Nope. He's anticipating situations before they are happening and always a split second in front of defenders with his sharp thinking and movement.

In Stockley's case, it's about timing his run surely? He's got to be reading situations as they develop, timing his run with split second reaction ahead of his marker. He was doing that before this season in different gameplans - and while the system is now different, he's not doing it now.

It's almost like he's given up expecting aerial crosses into the box?

There were a couple of times in the first half against MK Dons where he had got in good positions, in the area.  But his body position was all wrong and was in no way ready to react to the ball coming towards him.

That wasn't the case this time last year.

I specifically watched him in the game.  There is no power in either his jumping or his initial movement, he is standing on the balls of his feet.  For all his faults, he didn't used to do that.

I certainly don't think he is a nontryer it's either pain or a total lack of confidence, or both.

Either way playing ever week isn't going to help either.
    You and others are probably right.  He’s trying and not shying away from games.  Like you I think he’s genuinely just not able to offer what he once could.  

It’s not great news in general because it really limits us to the Aneke play coming on for the last 20/30 mins and hoping it turns games.  It did on Saturday and will do again, but it won’t work all of the time. 

• Options
    I've always quite liked Stockley, but i'm shocked at how poor he's been this season. He looks like a 45 year old bloke who once was quite good. Long term injury problem, confidence gone or just defenders know how to play against him i'm not sure but i wouldn't be surprised if he's playing non league in a few years. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    The enormous wait for any service to come his way makes it piss easy for defenders to nullify him, especially when he's up central alone.  There's precious little service coming and the vast majority of it is shit.
    But he's not moving into space, and thus too easy for defenders to mark.

It says something that when we're 2-0 and desperate for goals, we take our Number 9 off. And then score 4 goals.

The balls into him Saturday were a disgrace the only option was to move it on and chase himself. He's not a world beater but he had no service again and we gave it away cheap

We were rubbish Saturday and the result papers over that. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Poor to a man Kirk, Rak, Fraser, morgan, thomas. I don't get how he is the major part of it when you could pick any of them out.

We scored because with the introduction of CBT and CA provided pace to get beyond them.  When played in a front two I believe JS would be effective trouble is we are trying to find a makeshift partner for him.
    He wasn't that great when Leaburn was up with him. Leaburn was, though. I think there's been some been points made by posters on exactly what he's doing/stopped doing, feels like a reach to me to say it's his partners fault or the players around him. He just isn't competing.