Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jayden Stockley (Ed. Page 12- 15/6 - SIGNED on permanent deal)

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations to both

Did Jayden spend the whole birth moaning at everyone else  ;)
  • Options
    Waving his arms at the Midwife.

Congratulations
  • Options
    He’s not playing tomorrow is he.
  • Options
    Playing with a half healed hip injury? Would prefer to see him get the rest of the season off now we’ve got nothing to play for.
  • Options
    Am glad to see that it looks like we'll be holding onto him. 

A big character in dressing room. I don't think the transition to captain was a successful move. 
  • Options
    Michael Smith or Jayden Stockley:

Anyone who doesn't realize that big number 9 still have a role to play in League 1 are being seduced by this thought of Man city type football in the 3rd tier.  

Judge Jayden Stockley on his ability when he gets passes that don't fly over his head or he isn't isolated with no passes on. This will improve under Ben Garner as the players coming in will have better movement. I remember his first goal on the deck for Cafc and surprise, surprise, it was when Chuks was near to him in the area and assisted his sweeping shot into the net.

From Peter Couch down (not many are taller!) the tall strikers can look iffy at times on the deck but both Stockley and Michael Smith (I said he would be successful in League 1 the day he left Cafc) are effective when given a good service.

I get to watch a lot of Youth players being coached and they are better on the deck that they used to be but most are weaker in the air. big Number 9's are still an asset as Charlton found out both attacking and defending when lacking height and strength when we had no Stockley, Aneke or Inniss in the side. 

Bring on good possession football which should be mandatory for pro footballers as long as it's quick as well as slow depending on the state of the game. Until the day Heading is banned (how can it be in football?) then big strikers will alway be needed, at least from Championship downwards.

Good touch for a big man ?

Let's see under Ben Garner for JS before writing off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I expect Garner to go with 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 (they’re not that different) most of the time but it’ll look very different to the way Adkins played it. We’ve brought in two defenders and a GK who can play out from the back with more to come. Replace those three with CM, Gunter/Matthews and Famewo/Pearce it’s clear you’re not going to retain possession as well resulting in balls pumped in the vague direction of Stockley. Not being a mobile striker and playing a lone role that sort of service doesn’t give him a proper chance to add much outside the box. If we instead play out from the back and through the midfield Stockley can get the ball to his feet or chest high up the pitch instead of battling for a header near the halfway line with no support around him. He’s no Yann but he might look a better player for it.

I’m looking forward to seeing how our style develops, excepting plenty of possession but hopefully with good movement resulting in creating plenty of chances and scoring goals. Robinson struggled to push us that big further without the right player up front, Magennis was a 10 goal striker, Stockley scored more in last season’s average and inconsistent side. I wouldn’t write him off even though we ideally need a more mobile striker capable of playing her lone role.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Wasn't he 4th in the league for chances missed last season, and on ratio (if he'd played all the league games), looking like he'd be 1st?

I think you're allowed to criticise players on a football forum without being lumped in as some kind of dirge of modern football. 

He certainly has his strengths and he's certainly not rubbish, but there are credible concerns about him playing up front on his own in a possession-style system, especially given his past performances as a lone striker in similar systems. I guess we'll wait and see. 
  • Options
    I think he will benefit this season from better service .... a striker like him will enjoy more opportunities with the BG style of play .... I'm only hoping but let's see how he goes ... give captaincy to a midfield general too.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Wasn't he 4th in the league for chances missed last season, and on ratio (if he'd played all the league games), looking like he'd be 1st?

I think you're allowed to criticise players on a football forum without being lumped in as some kind of dirge of modern football. 

He certainly has his strengths and he's certainly not rubbish, but there are credible concerns about him playing up front on his own in a possession-style system, especially given his past performances as a lone striker in similar systems. I guess we'll wait and see. 
    Agreed. There are genuine concerns whether he will fit in to a system such as 4232 or 433 where the traditional target man needs to be more mobile than in the traditional big man/small man strike force in a 442 or 352.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

Agreed. There are genuine concerns whether he will fit in to a system such as 4232 or 433 where the traditional target man needs to be more mobile than in the traditional big man/small man strike force in a 442 or 352.
    Not sure we're allowed to use 4-2-3-2.

You are allowed any permutations you like.
    If we go with 4-2-3-2 may be best to get David Marshal !  On second thoughts, maybe not.
  • Options
    With two none Charltons in the away end today, fine one game but they think Stockley is a complete donkey and doesn't suit the way we play. I agree. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With two none Charltons in the away end today, fine one game but they think Stockley is a complete donkey and doesn't suit the way we play. I agree. 
    So do i
  • Options
    I commented after his first season that he was unlikely to score so many freakishly brilliant headers in future seasons. But I never thought he’d lose his mojo so spectacularly. 
    When has he looked like scoring this season, other than the penalty? Yes, the system doesn’t suit him, but his movement and anticipation have been lacking, and it’s like playing with ten men at times. This is League One. He should be scaring defences, but I doubt any of them dread playing against him at all. 
  • Options
    He runs like he’s shit his pants
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Can't work out if it is formation, form or a knock on from his injuries.  Didn't win a header today and that is not because of a formation.

Seems a good egg.  I hope he turns it around.
  • Options
    Chocolate fireguard. 
    Needs benching for a couple of games in a Son styleeeee.  
  • Options
    He really isn’t playing well. He’s like a different player than we thought we had last season. A liability now and contributes little on the field. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Wish he scored as many times he throws his arms in the air each game , really drives me mad and  moans at everyone else while he’s crap himself 
    We have no leadership on the field.
    No idea who else should be captain though.
    Dobson?
  • Options
    Some spectacularly good passes in Barnsley match - credit where it's due 
  • Options
    Some spectacularly good passes in Barnsley match - credit where it's due 
    "Some" ?

Agree there were perhaps 3 or 4.

Watching the stream today, we commented that JS would be a better bet in midfield plus his defending of corners etc. 

No way is he the striker we so badly need at this moment in time.