Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jayden Stockley (Ed. Page 12- 15/6 - SIGNED on permanent deal)

Comments

• Jayden was the guest on David Earl and Joe Wilkinson's podcast (My New Football Club) this week. Came out today but was recorded the day after Hartlepool.

He explained that he had been playing with a back problem for about a month and it finally become too much to manage with tablets.

Apparently he has two slipped discs which are pinching a nerve and causing a hip issue. He said he thought he was (hopefully) about a month away, but it could be longer.

Has been treated with an epidural.

The pod is well worth a listen, he is an excellent guest and extremely intelligent.

The focus was more on his time at Exeter, but still some great discussions.
    I had a prolasped disc on 2 occasions and could barely move because of it so unless he's had a more mild version god knows how was able to still play football. Epidural did nothing for me and needed surgery to rectify it in the end.
  • edited February 2022
    Chunes said:
    Needs to be more transparency on this, once the window shuts. 

His hip seemed to have zero impact on him
    until it completely stopped him from playing or training. Hopefully he can get back before too long
    What does this mean?
    Worded poorly but I mean he’s been playing for years with no symptoms of a hip problem, let alone a serious one. 

It’s suddenly come along and he’s unable to train. It’s just a bit strange that it went from 0-100 almost instantly and we still haven’t had much insight into the issue.
    Not if it’s a nerve problem, they can come on slowly and get increasingly worse or are suddenly there and appear overnight….. it’s entirely random and for no apparent reason?
    I say this because I have had no fewer than four trapped nerves…..back, knee, forehead and hand.
    After many years the trapped sensations are still there and have never quite gone away…..not sure if you can have surgery, anyway it was never a consideration or suggested by any doctors that I went to, they all got slowly better of their own accord and bother me very little nowadays.
  • Stockley on a podcast (My New Football Club) has said he has two slipped discs and is another month away. 
  • Poor lad.
    Get well soon Jayden.
  • Chunes said:
    Sounds painful. 

I don't know why we have to get proper injury news from podcasts not associated with the club. 
    Perhaps because Stockley can say it without too many fear of repercussions. Whereas if the Club say, when they can't be absolutely certain, that he is another month away, fans will naturally accuse them of not knowing what they are doing. It's probably not an injury that is easy to diagnose precisely or timescales involved and about managing expectations.
  • Chunes said:
    Sounds painful. 

I don't know why we have to get proper injury news from podcasts not associated with the club. 
    Perhaps because Stockley can say it without too many fear of repercussions. Whereas if the Club say, when they can't be absolutely certain, that he is another month away, fans will naturally accuse them of not knowing what they are doing. It's probably not an injury that is easy to diagnose precisely or timescales involved and about managing expectations.
    So, they're protecting themselves, rather than the welfare of the player who could receive understanding and words of encouragement and motivation from thousands of fans?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2022
    Chunes said:
    Sounds painful. 

Well surely it would be better than just telling us they hope he will be "be back before too long." 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Sounds painful. 

Well surely it would be better than just telling us they hope he will be "be back before too long." 
    At least the nature of the injury would’ve been helpful rather than radio silence. Slipped discs sounds bloody painful. No wonder he’s been out (and will be out) a while.
  • Asked if he was pressured to play, Stockley replied:
    “No, no – it’s on you. I was going through a bit of a purple patch so I was like ‘I’m not coming out of the team’. I didn’t realise it would happen – I’ve never been injured in my career. It is very, very boring.”

• 2 slip disks are never fully 100% after, you have to learn how to manage it.
  • I’m not sure how he played . I’ve had slipped discs and I could barely get out of bed!
  • So what happened to his hip injury?
  • Our form was excellent and his twin partnership with Washington was reaping a rich reward with Jayden scoring goals in all competitions.
    Massive miss. 
  • I was diagnosed with having two prolapsed discs in 1995. For the following five years I had a series of lumbar epidurals which provided temporary relief. However, in December 1999 I decided that it was time to bite the bullet and underwent surgery. I was 46 at the time.
    It was several months before I was relatively pain free, although back spasms still continued for the next year or so.
    Touch wood, since then, my back problems have been no worse than they should be for a man of my age.
    Every case is different, but from my own experience, I suspect we won’t see Stockley in a Charlton shirt until the beginning of next season. Such a shame as he and Washington had struck up a good understanding, one which I believe would have seen us threatening the play-off positions, rather than accepting the inevitable mid-table mediocrity caused by his absence.

• Now we know why Aneke was brought  back and the Burstow loan back was a must. Stockley,  Lavelle,  never injured before they say. Join Charlton and wham. Long term injury. 
    Fun and sunshine, there's enough for everyone
    All that's missing is Lavelle & Stockley
  • Sponsored links:

• 2 slip disks are never fully 100% after, you have to learn how to manage it.
    I slipped two discs in my lower back on 2014 and still live with the daily pain now. It will never get better. You’re right in the respect of you just have to manage it. Lots of stretching, walking, no running anymore and weights instead. At least I don’t suffer with the sciatic pain much anymore which is absolutely debilitating. 
  • Hoping he didn’t slip his discs getting in the jacuzzi at David Lloyd!
  • Listening to the podcast and so far good fun. 

The fact the club have acted like they know less than they do about this injury makes me feel that they don't want the spotlight on Jayden having played 3 months on painkillers, undiagnosed with an injury of this magnitude. 
  • Am I imagining it, or back in the day was Mendonca getting some hip/hamstring problems which he played through for a while and they eventually tracked down to being a back issue?

Seem to remember it being the beginning of the end for Mendonca as injuries took their toll. Hopefully the available treatments have advanced over the last 20 years,.
    I stand corrected but Mendonca did not kick a ball professionally after QP Haha away in December '98.
  • Needs to be more transparency on this, once the window shuts. 

until it completely stopped him from playing or training. Hopefully he can get back before too long
    Why … do you let everyone know when you got a medical condition ?
  • Stockley on a podcast (My New Football Club) has said he has two slipped discs and is another month away. 
    That was before the Hartlepool game so it’s a week or two now 
  • Senpai said:
    2 slip disks are never fully 100% after, you have to learn how to manage it.
    I slipped two discs in my lower back on 2014 and still live with the daily pain now. It will never get better. You’re right in the respect of you just have to manage it. Lots of stretching, walking, no running anymore and weights instead. At least I don’t suffer with the sciatic pain much anymore which is absolutely debilitating. 
    What weights exercising are you doing ?  

I kept on with running and have found that it can help, of course road running is not recommended because of pounding impact on joints.  Walking or jogging keeps the pressure off the lower back because you are in motion distributing the weight,  its standing in one place for a period of time can create discomfort as pressure is then loaded on the lower back.  
  • Needs to be more transparency on this, once the window shuts. 

Why … do you let everyone know when you got a medical condition ?
    I hope you can appreciate the difference between someone broadcasting their own medical records to strangers and a football club being disingenuous about a key players injury.