Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic | Tue 26 Jan 2021 | 7pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    What team will Bowyer pick?  God knows, I think he may go with something like

Amos
    Gunter|Oshilaja|Pearce|Purrington
    Matthews|Pratley|Morgan|JFC
    Stockley|Washington

Or the same players in a 532.

What I would pick is

Amos
    Matthews|Gunter|Oshilaja|Purrington
    Pratley 
    Morgan|JFC
    Millar
    Aneke|Schwartz

No point resting people for Pompey, because if we don't win tomorrow night that's almost an irrelevance.

On a side note I would be intrested in how many changes Pompy make after getting beat at the weekend, playing Lincoln on Tuesday and us at the weekend.  Then compare it to how many we make. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I would definitely go Gunter & Oshilaja:

A) I think it’s important we try and build some consistency in our team selections;
    B ) I don’t think Pearce is going to be the answer to any of our questions ever again;
    C) I think Oshilaja does daft things when he’s paired with Pearce, looks more assured alongside Gunter. 

The only changes I would make from Saturday’s starting line up would be Purrington for Maatsen (needs a rest) and Albie for Williams (Williams really doesn’t seem to be at the races, feels like that’s gone under the radar a little bit) although I might be tempted to put Shinnie in there if available to start. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Amos
    Stockley|Washington

What I would pick is

Amos
    Pratley 
    Morgan|JFC
    Millar
    Aneke|Schwartz

No point resting people for Pompey, because if we don't win tomorrow night that's almost an irrelevance.

On a side note I would be intrested in how many changes Pompy make after getting beat at the weekend, playing Lincoln on Tuesday and us at the weekend.  Then compare it to how many we make. 
    I don’t think Bowyer would drop Millar to play Mathews. Ever.
    It's the Bowyer winger paradox.  Never signs them, moans he hasn't got any, signs some, doesn't play them and repeat. 

Your right but he could well rest him. 
  • Options
    Personally I'll be glad to see Purrington back.  Think he's been a bit hard done by.  Maybe the terms of the Maatsen loan deal means we have to play him (when fit).  I think Maatsen is probably better at going forward but does just hit and hope a lot and doesn't always think.  Ben is more reliable  - all about opinions and that's mine.  About time we started to turn it round.  0-2 to the revived Addicks.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Personally I'll be glad to see Purrington back.  Think he's been a bit hard done by.  Maybe the terms of the Maatsen loan deal means we have to play him (when fit).  I think Maatsen is probably better at going forward but does just hit and hope a lot and doesn't always think.  Ben is more reliable  - all about opinions and that's mine.  About time we started to turn it round.  0-2 to the revived Addicks.
    Maatsen looked really good until that bloody international break (think we postponed a game against Rochdale?) and he hasn’t been the same since. It’s basically our season embodied in a small Dutchman called Ian. 
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Remember the days when Ben a 7 out of ten every game  .
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    We'll lose.  A couple of players will be blamed in a post match interview.  Rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Leuth said:
    JFC is now clearly a better option than either Watson or Pratley at DM. I don't see how there's any use for either of them. We just play better with JFC there
    I agree with you that F-Caskey can play in that position, but he’s so much better further forward as he’s proved already this season. I said it months ago and a few specific posters laughed at it, but he’s much better than someone who sits in front of defence, he’s a better player going forward.

Away from home, personally feel there is no chance we will go without one of Watson or Pratley starting.
    I'd have said JFC has done much of his good recent work as the pivot, surely? Against Rovers, Pratley was hardly playing any further back than him
  • Options
    Maatsen is a better defender than Purrington when a winger is running at him, and he's also more proactive. Purrington has some decent qualities but Maatsen is miles ahead imo. 

If Bowyer plays Matthews as a winger he needs to be fired immediately with no questions asked
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Amos
    Stockley|Washington

What I would pick is

Amos
    Pratley 
    Morgan|JFC
    Millar
    Aneke|Schwartz

It's the Bowyer winger paradox.  Never signs them, moans he hasn't got any, signs some, doesn't play them and repeat. 

? But he did sign Millar and has played him every game so far! He also moved Doughty upfield to left wing and then right wing. He signed Smyth and played him. He moved DeSilva up the field. He moved Maatsen upfield. He loves pace. Adores pace. Buys pace.

Are you thinking of someone else?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Amos
    Stockley|Washington

What I would pick is

Amos
    Pratley 
    Morgan|JFC
    Millar
    Aneke|Schwartz

? But he did sign Millar and has played him every game so far! He also moved Doughty upfield to left wing and then right wing. He signed Smyth and played him. He moved DeSilva up the field. He moved Maatsen upfield. He loves pace. Adores pace. Buys pace.

Yeah Fosu, Marshall and all the wingers he (didn't) signed before Millar. 

You could say Leko, Green and Smyth are wingers but he played all 3 of them, mainly, as central strikers. 

Although Smyth has played also played right of a 3, right of a midfield 4 and as a right wing back.  4 positions in 10 games.  Only 1, Accrington, as a winger IIRC.  He moved Millar to a more central role on Saturday after giving him his debut as a central striker.  I don't think 5 games, in which he has played 3 positions is that good an indicator. 

He loves and adores pace yet didn't "buy" any of the examples you gave.  Which player have we signed, permanently, under Bowyer that has real pace?

Doughty caused Bowyer a real problem, in a positive sense, because from the time he came back from Bromley to the time he got injured he was consistently one of our better players, although that wasn't a very high bar.  But he was the only player in the squad who didn't have a natural position on the diamond, which Bowyer had almost exclusively played for 2 years and his squad was build to play.   
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Amos
    Stockley|Washington

What I would pick is

Amos
    Pratley 
    Morgan|JFC
    Millar
    Aneke|Schwartz

Yeah Fosu, Marshall and all the wingers he (didn't) signed before Millar. 

You could say Leko, Green and Smyth are wingers but he played all 3 of them, mainly, as central strikers. 

Although Smyth has played also played right of a 3, right of a midfield 4 and as a right wing back.  4 positions in 10 games.  Only 1, Accrington, as a winger IIRC.  He moved Millar to a more central role on Saturday after giving him his debut as a central striker.  I don't think 5 games, in which he has played 3 positions is that good an indicator. 

He loves and adores pace yet didn't "buy" any of the examples you gave.  Which player have we signed, permanently, under Bowyer that has real pace?

Doughty caused Bowyer a real problem, in a positive sense, because from the time he came back from Bromley to the time he got injured he was consistently one of our better players, although that wasn't a very high bar.  But he was the only player in the squad who didn't have a natural position on the diamond, which Bowyer had almost exclusively played for 2 years and his squad was build to play.   
    Sorry, didn’t realise that they had to be permanent signings to count. So who are the players he signs and does not play them you are referring to?
  • Options
    Just reading the introduction made me shiver. They annihilated us at home last month & then I read about the home record & the fact they have only lost to the top 2 at the Colosseum. 

No idea what formation or team Bows will pick but it should include Morgan & Shinnie in midfield & start with 2 out of Aneke, Schwartz & Stockley. In defence I'd go with Oshilaja & Barker. Bows wont & so I'm afraid I will probably be right again about the final outcome (5 out of 6 since the start of the year).

3-1.........and the team doesn't get home until Wednesday morning as the coach driver can only turn left at roundabouts.
  • Options
    So..... how many unenforced tinkerings will Bowyer make this time? Hopefully, whoever plays, they remember how good Fraser was in the game at The Valley & Mark him better this time.
    Not feeling at all optimistic about this game, not just our poor recent form but also that Franchise seem to be a bogey team for us - perhaps the stattos amongst you can check our results against them in last 10 years - I know we beat them in our title winning season but seem to recall a number of defeats (including cup game(s)
  • Options
    I think we are outplaying teams recently (just every shot is flying in) but MK Dons played us off the park last time, so this is a real test of where we are. 

I'm going to have to catch the highlights the next day as I've promised myself I can't keep staying up til 5:30am to catch these midweek games anymore. 
  • Options
    MK were probably the best side I've seen us play this season. 

Can't see Aneke starting so Stockley up top with Schwartz is my guess 
  • Options
    A great preview Sage.

If Bowyer learnt from his mistakes and set his teams up correctly I would have more confidence, but as he hasn't so far I'm not.

No defence can defend alone, the team need to defend as a team.
    We need to attack as a team and defend as a team.

We need to be more mobile and when out of possession, we need two banks of 4 or 4 & 5 to get behind the ball.

We don't do this whatever formation and players Bowyer selects.

If we give them all the space through the middle as we did last time and as we have done so often recently we will probably lose.

You can't afford to give any team free shots on goal and then complain that they are smashing in the goals from 20/25 yards.

Bowyer needs to make us difficult to break down, give them little space, block their shots, give the defence and the goalie some protection.

2-2.

• Options
    I'd settle for not losing tbh, 1-1 .
  • Options
    Dreading that hollow depressed feeling as the final whistle blows and I realise I have wasted another two hours of life, not to mention ten quid.

At least being an evening fixture, it won't be two hours of daylight wasted and drinking numbs the pain a little. 

We played alright offensively against Swindon but could easily have conceded four against pretty weak opposition. Forget top six. If we keep playing like an Under-11 team we will be fighting off relegation before long. MK will be relishing this one.  

Hope Curbs is on again.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amos
    Gunter Deji Pearce Purrington
    Prats JFC
    Williams Shinnie Millar
    Aneke

4-2-3-1 for me. Get men behind the ball when we haven't got possession and look for the overload on the counter attack if they've got 3 at the back. Prats and JFC protecting our back 4 with license for JFC to get forward when in possession. Williams for a centre forward if we are chasing the game.  
  • Options
    agim said:
    Amos
    Prats JFC
    Williams Shinnie Millar
    Aneke

4-2-3-1 for me. Get men behind the ball when we haven't got possession and look for the overload on the counter attack if they've got 3 at the back. Prats and JFC protecting our back 4 with license for JFC to get forward when in possession. Williams for a centre forward if we are chasing the game.  

I know Bowyer won't do it but I would drop Pratley and add Stockley to that team. Have a right go at them.
  • Options
    agim said:
    Amos
    Prats JFC
    Williams Shinnie Millar
    Aneke

I know Bowyer won't do it but I would drop Pratley and add Stockley to that team. Have a right go at them.
    I know what you're saying, best form of defence is attack I just feel our back 4 needs protection. Aneke and Stockley would be a defenders nightmare physically to be fair. 
  • Options
    League One Table - Football - BBC Sport .. look at the table .. our goal scoring record (surprisingly perhaps) is not too bad .. BUT we have conceded 11 more goals than the 'next worst' team in the top 10 .. repeat repeat, we can't wait for our injured central defenders to get back we need an experienced central defender YESTERDAY !!

Back to MK Dons .. we can't be too positive about beating any other team a t m .. there are no easy games for us .. they beat us at the Valley but since then they have sold Keogh who had done a lot to stiffen their defence and resolve
    I am getting tired of repeating myself, I'll be happy to come away with a draw against an outfit which has conceded less goals than us

Milton Keynes Dons 1 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    Looking forward to it - have no idea how we are going to do but smyth going back to QPR is another good sign - to think all those saying we can't just bin the likes of bogle and smyth - well we have, and we needed to so washington aside, we now have a fairly potent set of forwards - only LB can screw it up now by playing the likes of pratley and watson 
  • Options
    Smyth going back to QPR
  • Options
    At the moment we seem to be very poor defensively - it's almost a given that we will gift them a 2 goal lead, so can we score 3 against Milton Keynes? I somehow doubt it. My optimistic prediction: 2-2.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I know it’s a huge amount of games to look at, but the fixtures between now and the beginning of April are very favourable on paper.

The only club we are playing that is currently above us in the table are Portsmouth. 9 of the next 14 are in London, 8 of them at home with the other away to Wimbledon.

If we are to get promoted this season, we need a very strong points return from the next 14 fixtures. 
    But then our LAST 14 games since the international break looked pretty favourable on paper, and we either drew or lost to the likes of Swindon (twice), Rochdale, MKD, Shrewsbury, Burton, Gillingham, all teams well below us at the time
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I know it’s a huge amount of games to look at, but the fixtures between now and the beginning of April are very favourable on paper.

The only club we are playing that is currently above us in the table are Portsmouth. 9 of the next 14 are in London, 8 of them at home with the other away to Wimbledon.

If we are to get promoted this season, we need a very strong points return from the next 14 fixtures. 
    But then our LAST 14 games since the international break looked pretty favourable on paper, and we either drew or lost to the likes of Swindon (twice), Rochdale, MKD, Shrewsbury, Burton, Gillingham, all teams well below us at the time
    You’re 100% right and really those set of games and these next should have put us right near the top of the league. But I think we can all see the impact of having Inniss and Famewo out.

Thankfully, they’ll be back for the majority of the next 14 and I would be very confident we will do much better. The fact we are in London for 9 of them makes me more comfortable too. Not too much travelling and with a stronger squad of players available, I think we will start to go on a nice little run.
  • Options
    I just think we can't trust our defence whoever we play there with who is fit so we need to score 3 given the probability we will concede 1 or 2.