Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic | Tue 26 Jan 2021 | 7pm

Comments

• Options
    I questioned what was Lee Bowyer's Philosophy and how does he want to play football a month ago.

The Leeds team know what their managers requires; so does Roy Hodgson's team.
    Tony Pulis team would be well aware of their defences shape.

Lee Bowyer is a tinker man but he has me back on board over the last 5 games despite the erratic results.

Milton Keynes would be top of the league on possession. Fraser had to be stopped and Cafc did a good job on him.

I thought we would go up a gear, 2nd half not drop anchor. As we couldn't get the ball we had no choice. Swindon away and Shrewsbury were the invites to attack us I found strange.

Still very difficult to read Lee's mind.

I always thought I was an expert on shape of football teams but Pratley appeared to be every where in midfield. I thought he was going to be the defensive midfielder yesterday but JFC was behind him and so was Shinnie at times so if someone can shine a light on the midfield 4 yesterday I would like to hear. I know footballer aren't joined together on sticks but you can't see on valley pass, who is covering so it's difficult to work out. Which midfielder dropped back when Pratley found himself in MKs box ?

It was a vital 3 points despite the ball being a hot potato for Cafc.

Win ugly, followed by winning with flair would be beneficial especially as our owner watches every match and likes to be entertained.

I know I said it would be a grind this season but some moments of attacking flair would be enjoyable. Wimbledon and Rochdale 2nd half when we were losing but we look so  inhibited  in many games until we have no choice but to go for it.

Front foot for 30 minutes and then chasing shadows.
    It's a funny old game and there was me thinking its fairly straight forward.
  • Options
    Not a dig at Robinson, but baffled why he would be considered the best manager of the week, after winning 4-3 at lowly Rochdale

The performance of the night was surely John Coleman's Accrington in beating Hull 2-0. Followed by Blackpool winning 5-0 at Wigan or Lincoln winning 1-0 at Pompey
    Guess its the thriller factor
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I questioned what was Lee Bowyer's Philosophy and how does he want to play football a month ago.

Lee Bowyer is a tinker man but he has me back on board over the last 5 games despite the erratic results.

Milton Keynes would be top of the league on possession. Fraser had to be stopped and Cafc did a good job on him.

I thought we would go up a gear, 2nd half not drop anchor. As we couldn't get the ball we had no choice. Swindon away and Shrewsbury were the invites to attack us I found strange.

I always thought I was an expert on shape of football teams but Pratley appeared to be every where in midfield. I thought he was going to be the defensive midfielder yesterday but JFC was behind him and so was Shinnie at times so if someone can shine a light on the midfield 4 yesterday I would like to hear. I know footballer aren't joined together on sticks but you can't see on valley pass, who is covering so it's difficult to work out. Which midfielder dropped back when Pratley found himself in MKs box ?

Win ugly, followed by winning with flair would be beneficial especially as our owner watches every match and likes to be entertained.

I know I said it would be a grind this season but some moments of attacking flair would be enjoyable. Wimbledon and Rochdale 2nd half when we were losing but we look so  inhibited  in many games until we have no choice but to go for it.

Pratley's job was to stop Fraser influencing the game like he did at the Valley, which he did very well.
  • Options

Pratley's job was to stop Fraser influencing the game like he did at the Valley, which he did very well.

Hidden away in my ramblings I said Fraser had to be stopped and Cafc did a good job on him but it was definitely Pratley who had that marking job.  When Pratley went on a charge upfield I think it was JFC who then picked Fraser up but its not clear from watching on Valley pass. 
    I always feel how good is a team when they have the ball and when they don't have the ball.
    2nd half we were good at defending but poor when we had the ball at our feet.

If we can ever improve both those parts of our game we may be on to a 4 nil win in this iffy division.
  • Options
    We looked very good with the ball before we scored. It isn't always about possession but what you do with it. My observation was that stopped after we scored and was that due to MK Dons changing or us?
  • Options
    The Pratley moaners continue to moan, while the man proves them wrong yet again.
  • Options
    SamE7 said:
    The role Ronnie played when he came on, which seemed to be wide midfield and run around a bit, Paul Smyth would have been a better option...
    ...but Ronnie looks like a much better finisher and versatile player so that point really is void
    Ronnie is a much better finisher BUT he wasn't being played as that last night.

I'm not sure he's that versatile, he's a fox in the box 
    If Millar would have found him for the easy pass last night Ronnie would have had a tap in to make 2-0. Probably would have changed opinions as he getting in the correct positions but we aren’t finding him with the pass when he’s open.
    This. 

Plus delightful touch and pass from Schwartz to set up the clear chance for Millar .... it should have been the 2nd goal.
    If Millar scores, it's an assist for Ronnie.

Millar misses the chance. And everybody forgets Ronnie's contribution.

• Options
    Deji has settled in very nicely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    DOUCHER said:
    esseffect said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Got to say it was unconvincing and painful to watch  - i have been clinging on to the view that we will go on a run now we have better forward players (and the centre halves come back) and we will start to sweep sides away - just hoping that yesterday was a  hangover from the bad run / nerves but the pattern is still there atm - go behind and we stay on the front foot, watch an entertaining game and bemoan our luck / mistakes and draw or go in front and endure an age of defending and clinging on - hope this changes as we get a few wins under our belt and relax because its not an ideal loop to be stuck in. Once we get a few goals up and see a game out comfortably is when we can start seriously thinking about our promotion chances. as soon as we scored we just seem to stop playing - did bowyer instruct this or did it just happen - chalk and cheese before and after the goal.
    How about that Washington huh? Another contribution 
    another? been a while since the last one
    He scored against Peterborough. 2 contributions in 3 games/8 days. 

You're just plain wrong on this one.
    nope - i was bang on about smyth and bogle being shifted out and i will be bang on about washington who will be next out the door if we are serious in the summer 
  • Options
    "been a while since the last one" 

About a week. So no. You're wrong. Maybe he will be moved on and maybe he won't, maybe we can do better and maybe he can't, but right now he's demonstrably scoring/providing goals.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    ross1 said:
    Great win and a clean sheet !! We move

For all those praising Bowyer for last nights win & using Pratley to nullify Fraser, can we agree that as Deji has been great since he came back into the team Bowyer deserves the negativity he got last month when Deji was left on the bench & we went into games with Gunter & Pratley as our Centre Halves. Perhaps some of us might also be right about playing Barker back there

Square pegs into square holes.
    There are square pegs for square holes and there are 17 year old center halves who haven't even played a season of u23 football. 

If Bowyer, Euell, Avery, who ever, don't think he is ready physically or mentally it would be wrong to play him other than in the circumstances he did play. 

I haven't agreed with a lot of the choices Bowyer has made this season but in not  playing Barker I would take the professional opinion all day long.  

Not have Mingi at least on the bench however. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:

For all those praising Bowyer for last nights win & using Pratley to nullify Fraser, can we agree that as Deji has been great since he came back into the team Bowyer deserves the negativity he got last month when Deji was left on the bench & we went into games with Gunter & Pratley as our Centre Halves. Perhaps some of us might also be right about playing Barker back there

Do you know why Deji didn’t play?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    "been a while since the last one" 

About a week. So no. You're wrong. Maybe he will be moved on and maybe he won't, maybe we can do better and maybe he can't, but right now he's demonstrably scoring/providing goals.
    he's bound to do that odd thing every now and again of course he is - shame his first touch was poor and he then cocked up the finish against swindon or we would have won that - he's ok but not good, we need better 
  • Options
    Deji came back from a long term injury and wasn't fit to start, and then was briefly kept out by Pratley, which was a questionable choice moreso for the effect it had on our midfield than our defence. He then came in and has been good, though he propensity for a total loss of concentration is still there. I get the feeling that he still isn't someone Bowyer would like to trust consistently at CB due to his lack of consistency, but for now he's doing a decent job. He throws himself in front of the ball like Inniss did when he was fit, and that is something we've missed. If he could cut out his errors he'd be a very good player because he's got the physical attributes
  • Options
    I thought this was a case of the result being more important than the performance. 3 points away from home after the recent results is a good result, a clean sheet and imo they never really looked like scoring. A great boost for the team before a massive game on Saturday. Hopefully another boring 1-0 victory would be good 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:

Yes - “Pratley was playing well at CB”. 

You can defend Bowyer on every single decision, like you have done recently. But Deji’s form has proven that Bowyer got this one wrong in my opinion. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:

My stone beats your scissors, Deji. Best of three?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    Great result, let's hope that brings some confidence back - it ought too.  Thought the midfield in particular were excellent - so much so that I was going to start naming names here, but then thought that I couldn't miss anybody out. Any chance that Liverpool might not want Millar back?

Bizarre sight of the evening: Not one, but two, flags saying 'The Real Dons'.  How bloody odd is that for a team that aren't the real dons anyway? They really do need to get an identity of their own.
    They are the real Wimbledon though. Just because they moved 100 miles doesn't mean they are a different team. Or are Arsenal not the real Arsenal.

Btw - they won the FA Cup in 1988.
    MK's best cup run was making the 5th Round in 2013. Their ill gotten gains were given to Merton Council about ten years ago. They've stolen another team's identity. Surely there's something notable about their club or their town that they could use as a basis for an identity of their own. Isn't there?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:

You can defend Bowyer on every single decision, like you have done recently. But Deji’s form has proven that Bowyer got this one wrong in my opinion. 
    definitely - pratley has attributes but he's like a rag doll compared to oshilaja 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:

definitely - pratley has attributes but he's like a rag doll compared to oshilaja 
    Wasn't just about whether he was playing at CB for me, we missed Pratley in midfield too, as shown in the last week or so with two very good away performances. 
  • Options
    Gave this one a miss, I've also missed the majority of our wins this season, maybe I'm cursed haha.

I have to say I prefer us in red and black over red and white 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:

Wasn't just about whether he was playing at CB for me, we missed Pratley in midfield too, as shown in the last week or so with two very good away performances. 
    he's doing a certain job for the team at the moment but he shouldn't be in the side on a regular basis if we are going to become a good side and go up 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    SamE7 said:
    The role Ronnie played when he came on, which seemed to be wide midfield and run around a bit, Paul Smyth would have been a better option...
    ...but Ronnie looks like a much better finisher and versatile player so that point really is void
    Ronnie is a much better finisher BUT he wasn't being played as that last night.

I'm not sure he's that versatile, he's a fox in the box 
    If Millar would have found him for the easy pass last night Ronnie would have had a tap in to make 2-0. Probably would have changed opinions as he getting in the correct positions but we aren’t finding him with the pass when he’s open.
    This. 

Plus delightful touch and pass from Schwartz to set up the clear chance for Millar .... it should have been the 2nd goal.
    If Millar scores, it's an assist for Ronnie.

Millar misses the chance. And everybody forgets Ronnie's contribution.

You didn't forget.

In a recent match, Morgan could've 3 assists; various strikers miss really decent chances. Swindon I think, but we live in a groundhog world, so it's hard to know !
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Having had time to ponder on the performance after we scored, I can understand that it was a reaction to a loss of confidence. We can't keep playing like that and expect to make the play offs and we shouldn't paper over the fact that a toothless MKDons helped us, but if we bank that and start playing a more front foot game maybe we can still go on that run we need.
    How are MK toothless? Bowyer nullified their attack by taking out their best player. 
    We went 1-0 up and defended, hoping to hit them on the break. We were a tad unlucky on not scoring a second.
    Perfect away performance.
    Ok, looking at that game from a MK Dons perspective, they overplayed against a team that kept giving the ball back to them. Yes, we defended well in the final third, but they needed to take a few more risks and get the ball into the danger areas more in the expectation that any clearances would go back to them. They didn't buy enough raffle tickets is essence.

I am happy they didn't. As others have mentioned they like to pass. But they are 16th in the table which suggests they may not have the balance right in that respect. 
    They have an exceptional home record and I think suggesting that they just overplayed it is oversimplification. I lost count how many times their lanky centre half was looking for a forward pass to make, but couldn’t because they were so well marked. Waved his arms in the air and passed it backwards.
    We sucked the space out of the game and they have a big pitch. They were passing back to the GK, hitting passes out for throw ins and goal kicks. They were out thought and outfought. This was a fantastic team effort. We weren’t selling tickets.
    MK Dons home record.
    Won 4 drawn 5 lost 3.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Having had time to ponder on the performance after we scored, I can understand that it was a reaction to a loss of confidence. We can't keep playing like that and expect to make the play offs and we shouldn't paper over the fact that a toothless MKDons helped us, but if we bank that and start playing a more front foot game maybe we can still go on that run we need.
    How are MK toothless? Bowyer nullified their attack by taking out their best player. 
    We went 1-0 up and defended, hoping to hit them on the break. We were a tad unlucky on not scoring a second.
    Perfect away performance.
    Ok, looking at that game from a MK Dons perspective, they overplayed against a team that kept giving the ball back to them. Yes, we defended well in the final third, but they needed to take a few more risks and get the ball into the danger areas more in the expectation that any clearances would go back to them. They didn't buy enough raffle tickets is essence.

I am happy they didn't. As others have mentioned they like to pass. But they are 16th in the table which suggests they may not have the balance right in that respect. 
    They have an exceptional home record and I think suggesting that they just overplayed it is oversimplification. I lost count how many times their lanky centre half was looking for a forward pass to make, but couldn’t because they were so well marked. Waved his arms in the air and passed it backwards.
    We sucked the space out of the game and they have a big pitch. They were passing back to the GK, hitting passes out for throw ins and goal kicks. They were out thought and outfought. This was a fantastic team effort. We weren’t selling tickets.
    MK Dons home record.
    Won 4 drawn 5 lost 3.
    And those three defeats were, Hull, Lincoln and now us. Can’t hack it against serious promotion contenders 😉.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    If we classified the goals we have conceded since our poor run started into three categories, Goals we couldn't do much about, Goals we could prevent and Goals we definitely should prevent, there have been as many, if not more in the third category as the first two. 

It should be possible for us to change the balance and by doing so the outcome of future games in our favour. That is a positive about yesterday as the third category of goal didn't look on. We need to bank that, but be able to achieve this and still pose a threat. That is the next step for us.