Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic | Tue 26 Jan 2021 | 7pm

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:
    Great win and a clean sheet !! We move

For all those praising Bowyer for last nights win & using Pratley to nullify Fraser, can we agree that as Deji has been great since he came back into the team Bowyer deserves the negativity he got last month when Deji was left on the bench & we went into games with Gunter & Pratley as our Centre Halves. Perhaps some of us might also be right about playing Barker back there

Square pegs into square holes.
    Do you know why Deji didn’t play?
    Yes - “Pratley was playing well at CB”. 

You can defend Bowyer on every single decision, like you have done recently. But Deji’s form has proven that Bowyer got this one wrong in my opinion. 
    Go boil your head. I was not defending anyone, I was asking a question.

I was for Oshi playing and have always liked him.
    So in your opinion Bowyer was wrong not to play him earlier? 
    I am indeed surprised he did not play him as he is a player I like and was, and is, a far better choice than Pratley and young Barker, who I would not have played.

I don’t know if he was wrong as I am not privy to all the information that would go into that decision. Was his general health OK? Any problems in his family? Was he fit physically? If all those were OK then I would disagree with Bowyer.

The comment made was that Bowyer deserved the negative he got for making that decision. I assumed they must have had greater information than I to make that statement.

If there were not any other factors involved I would say it was inexplicably IMO. He is a far better centre half than Pratley, and Pratley playing in front of the back four makes us considerably stronger.
    Fair play, decent honest answer. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:

For all those praising Bowyer for last nights win & using Pratley to nullify Fraser, can we agree that as Deji has been great since he came back into the team Bowyer deserves the negativity he got last month when Deji was left on the bench & we went into games with Gunter & Pratley as our Centre Halves. Perhaps some of us might also be right about playing Barker back there

You can defend Bowyer on every single decision, like you have done recently. But Deji’s form has proven that Bowyer got this one wrong in my opinion. 
    Go boil your head. I was not defending anyone, I was asking a question.

I was for Oshi playing and have always liked him.
    So in your opinion Bowyer was wrong not to play him earlier? 
    I am indeed surprised he did not play him as he is a player I like and was, and is, a far better choice than Pratley and young Barker, who I would not have played.

I don’t know if he was wrong as I am not privy to all the information that would go into that decision. Was his general health OK? Any problems in his family? Was he fit physically? If all those were OK then I would disagree with Bowyer.

The comment made was that Bowyer deserved the negative he got for making that decision. I assumed they must have had greater information than I to make that statement.

If there were not any other factors involved I would say it was inexplicably IMO. He is a far better centre half than Pratley, and Pratley playing in front of the back four makes us considerably stronger.
    Fair play, decent honest answer. 
    Agreed thank you @Redrobo
  • Options
    agim said:
    A away win on a Tuesday night with a clean sheet always deserves credit in this league. Ignore the w@nkers celebrate this and move onto Saturday which will be another tough game. COYR 
    Is this acceptable on this site?
  • Options
    It is what people who can't make a reasoned case do. That isn't to say people can't make a reasoned case, but this poster certainly can't. I know let's call people who disagree with me a name :)
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:

definitely - pratley has attributes but he's like a rag doll compared to oshilaja 
    Wasn't just about whether he was playing at CB for me, we missed Pratley in midfield too, as shown in the last week or so with two very good away performances. 
    he's doing a certain job for the team at the moment but he shouldn't be in the side on a regular basis if we are going to become a good side and go up 
    Doucher my friend.
    You appear to be questioning the judgement of our manager who watches the players train everyday.
    Watches their contribution before, during and after the game both on the pitch and in the dressing room.
    Only Gunter as an outfield player has been picked more times than Pratley.
    If you listen to L.B. comments on the pass after the game, you will hear him praise Pratley (not for the first time) about his "never say die" attitude and his contribution.
    I seem to remember not to long ago Gallen or maybe Lee Bowyer saying Pratley was one of their best signings.
    I will be ever grateful to Pratley for his contribution to one of my best days in 62 years of supporting Charlton, the great playoff final at Wembley. 
    So my friend, you and Pratleys other critics are entitled to their opinion, even if they are wrong. 

you are entitled to your opinion - he did well the other night but i hope we are aiming a bit higher than defending for 70 minutes against a bottom of league 1 team 
    Come on doucher, its not my opinion is it.
    Its Lee Boyers who played over 600 games, played under countless managers and currently leads our club, using the experience he's gained to pick the team.
    I don't wish to upset you but the truth is, I like yourself are just armchair critics who are entitled to our opinions even if they are wrong.
    Also M.K. are hardly a bottom of league of  team are they.
    of course it is opinion and its bowyer's opinion that is heavily under scrutiny at the moment - lets leave it there 
    "Heavily under scrutiny" by who Doucher?
    by most charlton fans including me 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:

definitely - pratley has attributes but he's like a rag doll compared to oshilaja 
    Wasn't just about whether he was playing at CB for me, we missed Pratley in midfield too, as shown in the last week or so with two very good away performances. 
    he's doing a certain job for the team at the moment but he shouldn't be in the side on a regular basis if we are going to become a good side and go up 
    Doucher my friend.
    You appear to be questioning the judgement of our manager who watches the players train everyday.
    Watches their contribution before, during and after the game both on the pitch and in the dressing room.
    If you listen to L.B. comments on the pass after the game, you will hear him praise Pratley (not for the first time) about his "never say die" attitude and his contribution.
    I seem to remember not to long ago Gallen or maybe Lee Bowyer saying Pratley was one of their best signings.
    I will be ever grateful to Pratley for his contribution to one of my best days in 62 years of supporting Charlton, the great playoff final at Wembley. 
    So my friend, you and Pratleys other critics are entitled to their opinion, even if they are wrong. 

you are entitled to your opinion - he did well the other night but i hope we are aiming a bit higher than defending for 70 minutes against a bottom of league 1 team 
    Come on doucher, its not my opinion is it.
    Its Lee Boyers who played over 600 games, played under countless managers and currently leads our club, using the experience he's gained to pick the team.
    I don't wish to upset you but the truth is, I like yourself are just armchair critics who are entitled to our opinions even if they are wrong.
    Also M.K. are hardly a bottom of league of  team are they.
    of course it is opinion and its bowyer's opinion that is heavily under scrutiny at the moment - lets leave it there 
    "Heavily under scrutiny" by who Doucher?
    No response from our friend Doucher so let me post my views.
    Those who scrutinise Bowyer are our chief ex. and owner.
    The same people, owners and chief ex's. of just about all football clubs who continually scrutinise their manager. 
    We all know football is a results driven game and we all know most Managers including Bowyer career with the club could end in the sack.
    Its rare for managers to walk away, some like Bowyer who has proved himself will probably be head hunted, some like Curbs will just walk away.
    Would Klopp of Liverpool would be under some pressure if he had a bad run of results? 
    Man. united lost to Shef. united last night and I wonder how many games Solskjaer has got, the vultures have been circling there for a while. 
    I once read that a chief ex's job was as soon as a manager was appointed, to 'have in mind' a replacement when the current incumbent is sacked.
    That's the reality and our clubs no different.

I'm confident that the last few games have shown the willingness to battle and grind out results, even if draws at home to Rochdale and Swindon aren't promotion winning ones. It's been an improvement and as players come back from injury that will hopefully continue. 
    Yes, the last few games have seen a change of approach by Bowyer .......  and a corresponding change of attitude and application by players.

Recent games, typified by the last game against MK, have seen fine performances of individual application and teamwork.
    Something has definitely changed for the better.

the change has been the more attacking intent - i'm sure the players were getting as fed up as us fans of the negative selections - this has of course been helped by the new players but will have given the existing players a boost and a bit more belief and purpose on the pitch 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    clive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    ross1 said:

Doucher my friend.

I get what Doucher is saying - Pratley is 36 in a few months and we’re aiming for promotion. Bowyer and Gallen will no doubt be aware we’ll need to replace him for two reasons - to improve the squad and Pratley’s age. It might have to wait until the summer but it’s right to aim higher and look to replace him rather than see him as someone who will continue to play a big part beyond this season.

Perhaps we’ll see him move in to a player/coach role, no doubt he has something to offer off the pitch. I saw a while ago Andrew Crofts is a player/coach with Brighton u23s. Maybe something like that is a possibility when we’re ready for him to move away from the first team. U23s could get a lot out of playing alongside a senior player or two, seeing how they read the game, lead the team etc.
    Not necessarily regarding Pratley, but that's a good point you make about having a senior player/coach allocated to actually play in the U23 team, Scoham.

Before the relatively recent 'Development squads', there was always the Reserve Leagues ........ a mixture of the best older youth team players, fringe squad players and those getting 'minutes'  after recovering from injury and, of course, invariably an old pro skippering the side.

IMO at least, it was a great way to bring kids on, give them a taste of playing mens football, learning by playing with and against experienced players - without the pressure of 1st team football, which they perhaps were not quite ready for.

Having said that, a number of young players played important roles in the 1st team by the time they were 18 or 19.
    Today, how many 'Development' players do we recently see come out of the U23s and claim a regular place in our1st team?

There are one or two, perhaps .....Albie Morgan, Alfie Doughty, of course.
    Otherwise has it become a case of U23 teams being normally full of U23s who rarely play competitively with and against senior players - and find themselves lacking the 'something' that makes them ready for 1st team football at Charlton?

I'm sure it's not only at Charlton.

The U23 development team idea is the worst, of a very long list, idea the FA or who ever implemented it have ever had. 

It's compounded by the stock piling of academy players by the big clubs and the fact that players aged 21-3 are included in the wage cap. 

If it was such a good idea why did the premier league insist that they U23 teams could play in the check a trade and "we" had to field full teams against them?

In no way does it bridge the gap between u18 and the first team.  Look at how many players now struggle in their 1st loan spells.  Obviously there are exceptions, but like Gallagher they tend to be exceptionally good players in the 1st place. 

Maybe Ged Roddy's idea.
    He did introduce EPPP, which has been an outstanding success for this then employers.

So yes it is all his fault :-) 
    my mates boy won the U23 EPL 2 player of the month for December - i hadn't noticed it was actually called EPL 2 before that - sounds ominous !!!  
  • Options
    I'm getting bored to death of this over tactical, over robotic, sterile football that is played in the premier league these days and made even worse by having no fans - thank god all football isn't like it - a bit of blood and thunder, a few errors, a bit of long ball, wing play, target man etc etc is good - barcelona  were a great team but that tika taka stuff has invaded the premier league now and the foreign coaches have a stranglehold on it - its as boring as watching the spanish and italian stuff now - chelsea are one of the worst for it - their players are like robots - cloned 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I'm getting bored to death of this over tactical, over robotic, sterile football that is played in the premier league these days and made even worse by having no fans - thank god all football isn't like it - a bit of blood and thunder, a few errors, a bit of long ball, wing play, target man etc etc is good - barcelona  were a great team but that tika taka stuff has invaded the premier league now and the foreign coaches have a stranglehold on it - its as boring as watching the spanish and italian stuff now - chelsea are one of the worst for it - their players are like robots - cloned 
    Yeh, fecking Milton Keynes  :#
  • Options
    Its only boring if your not winning.
    I was at Carrow Road to see Daniel Farke's first game in charge of Norwich.
    The ball was going from side to side across the back and side to side again. when one bloke chirped up, "If they carry on like this there will be trench across the pitch by the end of the season". 
    I think they lost that game to Sunderland to a screamer from Aiden Mc Geady.
    (That was Sunderland's only away win that season and they were relegated).
    Norwich play and have developed that type of possession football which seems to have served them well with their current crop of players.
    I guess that some fans moan at the way they play but like most fans they are happy as long as they are winning.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is what people who can't make a reasoned case do. That isn't to say people can't make a reasoned case, but this poster certainly can't. I know let's call people who disagree with me a name :)
    Is this aimed at me? I don't even know what your case was. I just skimmed through the above messages, saw a few moans about team selection and LB should admit he got things wrong etc and said let's enjoy the result. 

• Options
    agim said:
    Is this aimed at me? I don't even know what your case was. I just skimmed through the above messages, saw a few moans about team selection and LB should admit he got things wrong etc and said let's enjoy the result. 

And called half the board wankers?  Or did you forget that bit? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    agim said:

Well it was probably deserved! Don't take things personally it was a off the cuff remark.
  • Options
    agim said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    agim said:

Well it was probably deserved! Don't take things personally it was a off the cuff remark.
    I didn't take it personally but someone did 
  • Options
    I meant it but don't take it personally. You couldn't make it up. :) 
  • Options
    I meant it but don't take it personally. You couldn't make it up. :) 
    I've just skimmed your comments and I conclude that you've devised a well balanced, constructive argument. Even though the w@nkers comment was a general thing, consider yourself not a w@nker. Have a nice evening 👍
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Who doesn’t wank and what’s wrong with being one ,this board is full of onanistism 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Who doesn’t wank and what’s wrong with being one ,this board is full of onanistism 
    I'm a poor blind man now, they bloody warned me!!