Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic | Tue 26 Jan 2021 | 7pm

Comments

• Options
    Have a feeling we’re not going to see much of Maddison for remainder of the season. 
    Waste of a player in salary cap then.
  • Options
    All been said, terrific performance .. I had serious doubts over Millar's signing, SO pleased to be proven wrong .. 4 4 2 is the way to go, nothing fancy .. good to see Purry back in the side .. we still need a central defender though 
    I thought we played 4-4-2 but the commentators said it was a diamond 
    Greg said it was 4-5-1 and then went on to explain how it was 4-3-3...
    442 in the first half really, as Millar played as a left winger while Conor and Jayden were a 2 up front

Once Conor went off and Ronnie came on, it all went a bit weird tactically, a sort of 433/451 with Ronnie on the right and Shinnie and then Albie as a central attacking midfielder behind and indeed sometimes in front of the strikers...
  • Options
    Have a feeling we’re not going to see much of Maddison for remainder of the season. 
    Agreed which really annoys me.

He has so much quality. It’s just a shame Bowyer can’t swallow his pride. I’m assuming he hasn’t apologised for the way he’s treated him this season.
  • Options

Out of interest Callum what does this chart show as I do not have a clue?
    It's all the shot locations from the game and the larger the area of the shape, the more chance it had of going in. I'm still trying to work out how the varying shapes are allocated but I'm guessing it's along the lines of header/shot/set-piece etc. The one with the yellow arrow going into the net is the goal.

MK Dons 0.56 - Charlton 0.88 is the expected goals final score according to @xG_mapper 's model.
    The shapes are to differentiate between the different players - Washingtons efforts are all circles for example.
    Ah of course, thanks!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hmm. Concerned regarding Marcus, but sounds like he is still coming in and doing what he can.

“I’ve not seen him for a few days. I think I saw him yesterday from a distance with the fitness people, ticking boxes.

“Ticking the box to see if he could start training again. But he’s not been in and around us for a few days now.”

If he's been injured then ill then I kind of get why he's not been around. But I am concerned what he means by "Marcus Says he was ill"
    Contract extension coming into play already?  
  • Options
    We played so much better on Saturday going forward and we only scored 2 from 10 chances.

No Effing gifts tonight at the back and we have a bit of luck at last when they hit the post from the first half corner.

When we make quality crosses we score.
    We hardly ever make quality crosses.

We need back to back wins.

MK Dons make more passes than Casanova, but unlike the cad they couldn't score.

Agreed, as an attacking force we were much better on Saturday. The big differences tonight were that
    a) we didn't make any major defensive cockups, and indeed defended pretty well
    b) we had more luck (no shots deflecting into the net, that header hitting the post)
    c) no worldy shots from a kid most of us hadn't heard off!

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Yeh, it's like one step up from "his mum sent in a note" :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021

Sorry, but I'm struggling to take any stats seriously that don't even reflect which team played in red ;)
  • Options
    Truth is we can’t afford to lose many more. Sunderland a point behind us with two games in hand and Accrington currently four points adrift but five in hand. We can easily find ourselves mid table and probably will. This disastrous run has killed us.
    We can definitely afford to lose more.
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    Truth is we can’t afford to lose many more. Sunderland a point behind us with two games in hand and Accrington currently four points adrift but five in hand. We can easily find ourselves mid table and probably will. This disastrous run has killed us.
    We can definitely afford to lose more.
    And we will ...... !  :smile:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Good win.  We did deserve it because they really were at a loss at how to break us down.  I hope it will be the catalyst for something more, but until we start going on a proper run I will reserve judgment.  I have been digging out the performances of late, and I’m not going to be convinced off the back of a very dour game, but shape wise and set up wise, it worked tonight.

apart from Millar’s goal, I can only think of Stockley’s shot and Pratley’s pass when he should’ve shot as our other ‘chances’, and this was all in the first 20 minutes.  We sat back pretty much from then on.  On this occasion it worked, so you have to give the management and team credit. I need to see more though on a consistent level.  

Pratley was very good tonight.  That might be a decent role for him going forward as a man marker.  He nullified Fraser who was a pain at ours.  I actually thought having Purrington at left back gave us more of a balance in defence as a unit.  Maatsen is a talent, but for some reason the unit looked more solid today than it has been over the last few months.  He’ll get another go on Saturday no doubt so it will be a good test.  

Finally, I really couldn’t work MK Dons out.  If that had been us adopting their approach play I’d have been going mad.  It was like watching rugby Union.  Even in the 94th minute they were still knocking it around their defenders.  You have to be an exceptional team to do what they were trying to do.  
    That was weird, it was as if they'd misread the number of added minutes and thought they had another 5 minutes to get a goal, not 30 seconds
    I assumed their manager is in the Gus Poyet mould and they’ll play that way regardless of the situation. It can look very good when it works but boring and predictable when you’re struggling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pratley was through on goal but has a xg 0.04? Or is that why Washingtons is 0.29?
  • Options
    I wonder if LB cares if MM is ill ?
  • Options
    It’s odd, every team plays with a midfielder who can break up play and doesn’t necessarily offer too much going forward, but some people think we’re too good for a player like Pratley. It’s broken thinking; not every player in a team can be a creative presence, and those who can both destroy and create play at a higher level. The fact is Pratley does exactly what’s asked of him and brings organisation, professionalism and commitment into our whole team. When he’s not in our midfield other players, good as they are, aren’t anywhere near as cohesive. If you’re looking at Pratley and thinking he’s the kind of player we need to move on from then you’re focusing on the wrong areas 
    I agree Pratley adds something to the team and tonight he was excellent. However he's had a fairly poor season imo, although the baulk of the criticism comes from when he's been playing at CB. You say he brings professionalism, like the time he got sent off for kicking out at a Hull player last month? 
  • Options

Pictures seems to say a thousand words:

Gunter: I'm not putting my hands in the way, if they get hit I'm taking it like a man
    Pratley's trying to give it a look that'll make the ball explode
    Stockley has the look of someone who has just heard the ball talking to him
    Deji's is questioning if he forgot to flush the loo in the dressing room
    Good picture for a caption competition 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I've thought even the luxurious green sward of The Valley is looking a bit moth eaten and threadbare.

MK's pitch tonight was heavy, sticky and well, not as green as you would expect.
    I don't even need to mention Peterborough.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I've thought even the luxurious green sward of The Valley is looking a bit moth eaten and threadbare.

MK's pitch tonight was heavy, sticky and well, not as green as you would expect.
    I don't even need to mention Peterborough.

After Saturday it's 2 weeks until the next match at The Valley (unless we play a U23 match there) so hopefully time to so some work on it. It's the outside sections where it seems a bit worn