Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic | Tue 26 Jan 2021 | 7pm

Comments

• Options
    Great three points. As Bowyer pointed out some decent passing second half would have made it more comfortable and make us more like top three / four team. 
  • Options
    The only thing Bowyer got wrong in my opinion didn't have any effect on the game so I'm happy. 
  • Options
    Millar on VP

“Feels great. Nice to actually score. Boys were great today”
    ”they play good football. We did what we had to do. It’s all good”
    ”Worked a lot on getting in to the box”
    ”It’s great I see progress. Can see myself getting better and better each week”
    ”I want to attack and score goals and assists. But my job is also to deal with wing backs. I don’t enjoy it but need to do it to make the team successful”
    ”I’m here to get the ball and drive at players. My final ball needs to improve. Helps us get the ball away from the back and keep possession”
    ”I’m loving it here. Lads are great. I’m really enjoying it. It’s very different from u23s, intensity is different. I’m getting in to the rhythm now”
    ”Left wing is my favourite position.”
    But what about the dressing room unrest?

(seriously though what's changed since second half against Rochdale) 
  • Options
    All been said, terrific performance .. I had serious doubts over Millar's signing, SO pleased to be proven wrong .. 4 4 2 is the way to go, nothing fancy .. good to see Purry back in the side .. we still need a central defender though 
    I thought we played 4-4-2 but the commentators said it was a diamond 
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    redbuttle said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    We have come back from 3-1 down against the team in 18th, 2 down against the team in 23rd, and beaten the teams in 16th and 19th 1-0 away and people honestly think that's good and gutsy? 
    Can you actually give it a rest please.
    Why do you think that's anything to brag about? 
    About time we had mediocre performance and got 3 points.

I’ll take that over playing well and then losing out to individual defensive errors 
    In fairness it was a mediocre 35 minutes. 

Once Washington went off and we pushed Shinnie into the CF role and Schwartz to RW we were completely unbalanced. A managerial decision that didn't work. 

We got the win though so Hurrah to the haddocks. 
    True, but his hand forced to make that decision? 

I’m a big advocate of Washington and his pressure/getting in behind defenders. Don’t think we have many others like it.

which is why I can’t understand people being flakey on him
    Yeah I think he wanted someone to do the Washington job when Wash went off and Ronnie clearly isn't that type so it could be argued Morgan was the man for that task. Hard worker and can pass. I can see how you might consider it, but I think we'd have done better with Schwartz alongside Chuks. 
  • Options
    A slight feeling that we got away with it rather than deserving it, though there's been better performances that deserved a win and got nothing.

In the wider context of Bowyer and his job security, well, both camps can argue their cases there. A win and a clean sheet is good, and we started out with square pegs in square holes as much as was possible. On the other hand we seemed to have Shinnie up front and Schwartz out wide by the end so who knows. I'm still firmly in the "let Sandgaard make that decision" camp frankly, I can see both sides have valid points.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good all round performance. Bit flat up front...but 3 points and a clean sheet.
  • Options
    Millar on VP

“Feels great. Nice to actually score. Boys were great today”
    ”they play good football. We did what we had to do. It’s all good”
    ”Worked a lot on getting in to the box”
    ”It’s great I see progress. Can see myself getting better and better each week”
    ”I want to attack and score goals and assists. But my job is also to deal with wing backs. I don’t enjoy it but need to do it to make the team successful”
    ”I’m here to get the ball and drive at players. My final ball needs to improve. Helps us get the ball away from the back and keep possession”
    ”I’m loving it here. Lads are great. I’m really enjoying it. It’s very different from u23s, intensity is different. I’m getting in to the rhythm now”
    ”Left wing is my favourite position.”
    But what about the dressing room unrest?

(seriously though what's changed since second half against Rochdale) 
    The pop up tent @ Sparrows Lane became a Royal Rumble type venue - Bowyer said that he'd listen to the players if they could all take him on, two minutes into the fight he threw Aneke through the window like an Olympic Discus and everyone backed down.

Its why Chuks couldnt start against Peterborough last week
  • Options
    I have been critical of Bowyer recently but that was a professional and gritty performance well done!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think we're desperate not to concede and we're seeing Bowyer make changes that we've seen time and time again cause a goal.  
    FFS.......give it a break!
    I have been fair to Bowyer despite some odd decisions. Pearce has constantly been a danger to his own side so bringing him on was a change we've seen time and time again cost us. That simply cannot be denied, especially as at the time I typed that I had just watched Bowyer haul off our best player who didn't even look tired. 

It turned out that it didn't affect the game either positively or negatively, so it was fine. 

A win on Saturday and we're at least finishing the month on a high. 

Expecting a loss so anything more is a bonus. 
  • Options
    I very much doubt that the MKDons salary bill is much less than ours. Certainly not £1.25m less!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    thenewbie said:
    A slight feeling that we got away with it rather than deserving it, though there's been better performances that deserved a win and got nothing.

In the wider context of Bowyer and his job security, well, both camps can argue their cases there. A win and a clean sheet is good, and we started out with square pegs in square holes as much as was possible. On the other hand we seemed to have Shinnie up front and Schwartz out wide by the end so who knows. I'm still firmly in the "let Sandgaard make that decision" camp frankly, I can see both sides have valid points.
    You only deserve to win by scoring more than your opponent. 

We therefore deserved to win. 
    Therefore we deserved to loose to Peterborough and not beat Swindon.  

Which many people, me included, didn't say. 

Yet I am accused of wanting it both ways. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Pratley had a great game.  Not only kept Fraser quiet all the way through but had Jackson in his pocket too according to Curbs.
    tbf to Curbs, JJ made no impact at all that I could see-mind you, his legs have gone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Painful to watch us sometimes, yeah we won but some of our play defensively and in the final third is laughable. Take the points but needs a more assured performance Saturday. 
  • Options
    A good ugly away 1 - 0 . Restricted MK to very few chances and defence looked a lot more solid tonight . Bit disappointed with Aneke and Schwartz second half .
  • Options
    A crucial 3 points, but while I was pleased with the 1st half performance, where we passed the ball nicely and pressed MKD well, the second half was too passive and our passing was very poor

We defended well though, Pratley was a great shield and bossed Fraser out of the game, Deji was dominant while Millar worked very hard.

Stockley and Washington combined well, but then I can imagine Stockley alongside any of our strikers

• Options
    I still can't work out if I prefer to see us 1-0 down or up! 

1 down leads to a more attacking and hungry game

1 up just turns into a a defend the cup final game you would at all costs
  • Options
    It’s odd I’ve seen us play miles better this season and lose.

I’m going to enjoy the victory though 

Great 3 points 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I still can't work out if I prefer to see us 1-0 down or up! 

1 down leads to a more attacking and hungry game

1 up just turns into a a defend the cup final game you would at all costs
    1 up we win
    1 down we don't.
    It's simple  ;)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Off_it said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    redbuttle said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    We have come back from 3-1 down against the team in 18th, 2 down against the team in 23rd, and beaten the teams in 16th and 19th 1-0 away and people honestly think that's good and gutsy? 
    Can you actually give it a rest please.
    Why do you think that's anything to brag about? 
    It isnt but you sound disappointed we won...

Like Bowyer is saying, it just gives the players and everyone a lift
    No of course I am pleased we won.  But saying MK Dons are a decent side for this level or saying we struggled against worse is damming with fair praise.  They aren't.  They are 16th for a reason. To paraphrase Tony Mowbray "we should be beating teams like that".

Like I said after the last few games, there are signs since the last hour against Rochdale that a corner is being turned but we still aren't putting together a good 90 minutes, let alone a string of games.

4 points is the absolute minimum we should have got out of those last 2 games isn't it? 
    OK, I get it now.

MK Dons are 16th for a reason - because they're not very good.

On the other hand we are 6th because of sheer luck - because we are also not very good.

That it?

Nope still here.  We are six, which realistically will be 7th or 8th when the other teams catch up on their games, because we have one of the best and most highly paid squads in the league.  

Despite the wage cap I would still expect MK Dons's wage bill is half ours.

That it? 

• Options
    Happy with that, though the 2nd half felt like hard work. What have I learned? 
    Millar is going to be a top player, MOM for me.
    Just because there are some things Pratley isn't good at, doesn't mean there aren't others that he is. Excellent today
    we missed Washington's energy when he went off. He may not be a natural goal scorer but he does work hard.
    Shinnie is really quite good at this level, Morgan has some really good games, but he's not at Shinnie's level yet. 
    We defended as a team, got a bit lucky, but we were due some. Everyone played their part, Deji was again the most assured of the defence. 
    Off to put some ointment on what's left of my nails

• Options
    Jayajosh said:
    Even when we win people seem to find a way to moan. Great 3 points
    In all fairness we were outplayed for the final 60 minutes and didn’t look like we had any hope of scoring.
    We didnt need to
    That is hindsight. 
    No different to saying Bowyer picked the wrong team when we dont win ;)