Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic | Tue 26 Jan 2021 | 7pm

Comments

• Options

Out of interest Callum what does this chart show as I do not have a clue?
    It's all the shot locations from the game and the larger the area of the shape, the more chance it had of going in. I'm still trying to work out how the varying shapes are allocated but I'm guessing it's along the lines of header/shot/set-piece etc. The one with the yellow arrow going into the net is the goal.

MK Dons 0.56 - Charlton 0.88 is the expected goals score according to xG_mapper's model.
    Thanks but................if the yellow arrow is the actual goal why are there 2 x larger shapes, your break down means the circle over the pen spot and the hex near the six yard box had more chance of going in than the goal itself??? 
    Yes they were considered better chances than the one that was scored.

Just because it ended up a goal doesn't mean it was necessarily a better goalscoring opportunity. You could have a game with 5 missed open goals but then your centre back flies one into the top corner out of nowhere. That's what it's trying to depict. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    We played so much better on Saturday going forward and we only scored 2 from 10 chances.

No Effing gifts tonight at the back and we have a bit of luck at last when they hit the post from the first half corner.

When we make quality crosses we score.
    We hardly ever make quality crosses.

We need back to back wins.

MK Dons make more passes than Casanova, but unlike the cad they couldn't score.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    king addick said:
    We'll never control possession or the tempo with Pratley in the middle of the park. There must be an alternative option of someone energetic who can also play..? :/  
    Did you actually watch the game?
    Pratley had one job tonight, to stop Scott Fraser. 
    He succeeded and besides succeeding in his main job he also had time to help out in other areas.

Did you actually watch the game tonight?
    I'm sorry, but at this level of professional football you should be able to do more than 'stop' someone playing. We'll never reach the top if these are the types of players we want. 

His inclusion in the team invites pressure.. it doesn't alleviate it. 
    We are a league 1 team mate...chill out.

His inclusion frees up things for the creative players whilst he does the dirty work. 
    This is the mindset unfortunately. 

I'd argue his inclusion actually makes it more difficult for the creative players.. it's much easier to create chances and getting play if their teammates maintain possession, give them options on the ball and create space for them. 

Not watching the game go by and then closing down one player whenever he gets the ball.. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Out of interest Callum what does this chart show as I do not have a clue?
    It's all the shot locations from the game and the larger the area of the shape, the more chance it had of going in. I'm still trying to work out how the varying shapes are allocated but I'm guessing it's along the lines of header/shot/set-piece etc. The one with the yellow arrow going into the net is the goal.

MK Dons 0.56 - Charlton 0.88 is the expected goals final score according to @xG_mapper 's model.
    The shapes are to differentiate between the different players - Washingtons efforts are all circles for example.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    We'll never control possession or the tempo with Pratley in the middle of the park. There must be an alternative option of someone energetic who can also play..? :/  
    He succeeded and besides succeeding in his main job he also had time to help out in other areas.

I'm sorry, but at this level of professional football you should be able to do more than 'stop' someone playing. We'll never reach the top if these are the types of players we want. 

His inclusion frees up things for the creative players whilst he does the dirty work. 
    Tbf, there wasn't much creating going on 
    Thats the creative players fault then but Pratley had a job and done it brilliantly. 
    Unfortunately, the creative players were too occupied spending the majority of game sprinting back into defensive positions because we can't keep hold of the ball. As a Central midfielder, It's also part of Pratleys job to keep possession and offer for the ball.

Not much time to create.
  • Options
    Truth is we can’t afford to lose many more. Sunderland a point behind us with two games in hand and Accrington currently four points adrift but five in hand. We can easily find ourselves mid table and probably will. This disastrous run has killed us.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    We have come back from 3-1 down against the team in 18th, 2 down against the team in 23rd, and beaten the teams in 16th and 19th 1-0 away and people honestly think that's good and gutsy? 
    Today was an XG leveller,  I called it before the game ,  the performances have been better than the results recently and today it was the other way round , I felt totally comfortable, yes the oppo were shit but that’s because most of them are in this league. 

We are slowly heading in the right direction from a sea of complete shit admittedly and yes it will confuse a lot of our fan base when we go on a good run and go nowhere in the table .

• Options
    edited January 2021

This is the mindset unfortunately. 

I'd argue his inclusion actually makes it more difficult for the creative players.. it's much easier to create chances and getting play if their teammates maintain possession, give them options on the ball and create space for them. 

Not watching the game go by and then closing down one player whenever he gets the ball.. 
    You need a player to win the ball back. Creative players can do that but an out and out CM doing it just frees up counter attacks etc.

He should, in theory, win the ball back lay it off to a team mate and push up/drop accordingly.

If our players are giving it away more often than not then he will need drop more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
  • Options
    Great post @Garrymanilow

• Options
    Really good result tonight. First half performance was strong, second was nervy but we saw it out.

I would be very surprised if there’s a better player in the middle of the pitch in this division at the moment than JFC. 
  • Options
    Hmm. Concerned regarding Marcus, but sounds like he is still coming in and doing what he can.

“I’ve not seen him for a few days. I think I saw him yesterday from a distance with the fitness people, ticking boxes.

“Ticking the box to see if he could start training again. But he’s not been in and around us for a few days now.”

If he's been injured then ill then I kind of get why he's not been around. But I am concerned what he means by "Marcus Says he was ill"