Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic | Tue 26 Jan 2021 | 7pm

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    Great result, let's hope that brings some confidence back - it ought too.  Thought the midfield in particular were excellent - so much so that I was going to start naming names here, but then thought that I couldn't miss anybody out. Any chance that Liverpool might not want Millar back?

Bizarre sight of the evening: Not one, but two, flags saying 'The Real Dons'.  How bloody odd is that for a team that aren't the real dons anyway? They really do need to get an identity of their own.
    They are the real Wimbledon though. Just because they moved 100 miles doesn't mean they are a different team. Or are Arsenal not the real Arsenal.

Btw - they won the FA Cup in 1988.
  • Options
    Glad for the won & the clean sheet, but let's not get carried away with ourselves. We played well for 20 mins, scored & then ran out of ideas. The only reason why we won was because MK Don's like to pass the ball. As someone said, on 90+3 mins they were still passing it around the back & not even contemplating hoofing it forward. Another team on another day would have been causing mayhem in the last 15 & would have probably nicked a goal.....or even 2.

However......it wasn't another team or another day & like Saturday you take tte smooth with the rough. We created enough chances on Saturday to win 2 games but didnt - tonight we created one real chance & scored from it (just like teams have done to us). I'll take the 3 points & move on 

Shout out to Millar (my MOTM) followed closely by Pratley & Shinnie. Thought we fell apart on the 2nd half & Aneke, Schwartz & especially Morgan all combined to make us worse. Just hope it was a blip from them as we'll be counting on them over the next 20 games.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    For two weeks running I've woken up and watched the last 30 minutes. For two weeks running it was the worst part of the game for Charlton, though, in all honesty, Dons didn't really look like scoring.

I could see the quality of Shinnie, JFC and Millar, all the defenders looked untroubled, though I was half expecting someone to make a stupid mistake, Pratley was being Pratley without giving away a foul every time the ball came near him. Schwartz isn't seeing the ball in the right places, Chuks wasn't the dominant figure he usually is and poor Albie was running about aimlessly from the moment he came on (and what was that passback to Amos from an attacking poistion?).

Maybe I should just go back to sleep next time I wake up during a midweek game!

But three points is what counts.
  • Options
    Fine margins again. If MK had got an equaliser during that 2nd half pressure then this thread would be in meltdown. Instead, the majority are happy. I'm happy with the three points but why did we revert back to the negativity of four games or so ago! I was almost convinced they were going to get a goal in typical Charlton fashion. But we held out. It was pointless bringing on Chuks and Ronnie as there is no way they were going to make a difference. Not with the way we were set up.
    So, very pleased with the three points but not so pleased with the second half performance. I would much rather have seen us on the front foot more. Still not convinced that Bowyer is getting it right but he did today. But it is fine margins. Let's not delude ourselves. Onto Saturday.   
  • Options
    Lovely stuff. MK are a decent side and one we always seem to slip up against no matter what season it is. Professional performance, good effort in the press. Pratley as usual showing how it’s done. Hope Washington isn’t too hurt. My only slight concern is that’s now 1 goal in 6 appearances for Ronnie. Obviously a player in there so I hope he can get another one soon to get his confidence flowing and his head doesn’t drop while he gets fitter 
    Isn't it one goal in four appearances, and three of them as a sub?  Also, he hit the post and had another disallowed incorrectly so I'd say his confidence should be OK.
    Scored a legit goal on Saturday too wrongly ruled out for offside.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amos made a great save/block around the  66th Minute - perhaps more than just a turning point in this game. Brave block.
  • Options
    Lovely stuff. MK are a decent side and one we always seem to slip up against no matter what season it is. Professional performance, good effort in the press. Pratley as usual showing how it’s done. Hope Washington isn’t too hurt. My only slight concern is that’s now 1 goal in 6 appearances for Ronnie. Obviously a player in there so I hope he can get another one soon to get his confidence flowing and his head doesn’t drop while he gets fitter 
    Isn't it one goal in four appearances, and three of them as a sub?  Also, he hit the post and had another disallowed incorrectly so I'd say his confidence should be OK.
    Scored a legit goal on Saturday too wrongly ruled out for offside.
    Isn't that what I said?
  • Options
    Absolutely mega performance from Pratley - made sure Fraser did not get a look-in. Millar superb, Shinnie adding magic to midfield, Stockley looking the part and Oshilaja growing in stature every game. A case on onwards and upwards from now on.
     The clean sheet will have done wonders for confidence. Yes, it was twitchy-bum time in the closing minutes but understandable that players were concerned about conceding after recent games. Now the shutters have gone up again, they will be hard to break down.
     Shame about Maddison. He has so much talent but, it seems, something is not wired right. Doubt if we will see much more of him.
  • Options
    Got to say it was unconvincing and painful to watch  - i have been clinging on to the view that we will go on a run now we have better forward players (and the centre halves come back) and we will start to sweep sides away - just hoping that yesterday was a  hangover from the bad run / nerves but the pattern is still there atm - go behind and we stay on the front foot, watch an entertaining game and bemoan our luck / mistakes and draw or go in front and endure an age of defending and clinging on - hope this changes as we get a few wins under our belt and relax because its not an ideal loop to be stuck in. Once we get a few goals up and see a game out comfortably is when we can start seriously thinking about our promotion chances. as soon as we scored we just seem to stop playing - did bowyer instruct this or did it just happen - chalk and cheese before and after the goal.
  • Options
    Slept on it... Yeah, I'll still take that. Three points. Clean sheet. Pretty? No. Perfect? Hardly. Professional away win? Yup. Confidence boost? Hope so. One small step...
  • Options
    The role Ronnie played when he came on, which seemed to be wide midfield and run around a bit, Paul Smyth would have been a better option...
  • Options
    What we need to get a bit better at is taking our chances when we're in front. We had a few chances last night, mostly through Millar, to double our lead but we didn't take them. If just one of those had gone in then we would have played a decent bit of counter-attacking football when 1-0 up, eased the pressure on ourselves and been less stressed in the final ten minutes. We're very good at piling on goals when we've already given the opposition a headstart but we need to be more clinical with the chances we create earlier in games, that will have us seeing them out much more comfortably
  • Options
    Major said:
    Have a feeling we’re not going to see much of Maddison for remainder of the season. 
    Agreed which really annoys me.

He has so much quality. It’s just a shame Bowyer can’t swallow his pride. I’m assuming he hasn’t apologised for the way he’s treated him this season.

With all due respect, this is not a Primary School.  No one player is more important than the club. Despite his abilities, I feel Maddison's attitude is questionable. And he didn't 'Take a knock', as reported. He claimed some injury after stepping oddly.  My first thought on watching was he just wanted to get off the pitch as he was having a 'mare.  Now, 'He says he's ill'. Pretty well sums him up for me. I believe Bow 'has his number' and I think I do too. I wish another club would take him and free up the salary. Just sayin'.
    Funnily enough, I also said the same at the time. Especially off the back of Bowyer not playing him and calling him out etc, I would never have though players done it until hearing Jermaine Pennant on a podcast
  • Options
    The role Ronnie played when he came on, which seemed to be wide midfield and run around a bit, Paul Smyth would have been a better option...
    ...but Ronnie looks like a much better finisher and versatile player so that point really is void
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Liam Miller was my MOM already, but I was very impressed with his post-match interview. Great attitude. Like Conor Gallagher, it will be that which gives him a great future in the game. Curbs was big on likening him to John Robinson, but actually, Robbo didn't quite have the pace, did he? But I see where Curbs is coming from, Robbo could also bring the ball out and hold it, take the pressure off, and he was great at coming back to cover. And all round good egg, who is apparently a Valley pass guest on Saturday. You gotta' dream, and right now I dare to dream of our centre backs coming back soon, we sneak promotion and sign Miller up permanently, he becomes the new Jonny Robinson on our march back towards the Prem...
  • Options
    Glad for the won & the clean sheet, but let's not get carried away with ourselves. We played well for 20 mins, scored & then ran out of ideas. The only reason why we won was because MK Don's like to pass the ball. As someone said, on 90+3 mins they were still passing it around the back & not even contemplating hoofing it forward. Another team on another day would have been causing mayhem in the last 15 & would have probably nicked a goal.....or even 2.

However......it wasn't another team or another day & like Saturday you take tte smooth with the rough. We created enough chances on Saturday to win 2 games but didnt - tonight we created one real chance & scored from it (just like teams have done to us). I'll take the 3 points & move on 

Shout out to Millar (my MOTM) followed closely by Pratley & Shinnie. Thought we fell apart on the 2nd half & Aneke, Schwartz & especially Morgan all combined to make us worse. Just hope it was a blip from them as we'll be counting on them over the next 20 games.
    You’ve changed your tune from the match thread re Pratley !!!
  • Options
    Delighted with three points away and a clean sheet but anyone who reckons that was a great performance is deluded:

First half was good. Pratley did a right job on Fraser and Millar was great but we hardly strung two passes together in the second half which was mostly played at walking pace- we simply waited for MK to equalise but they didn't oblige.
    It was mega-negative.
    Morgan (who was awful) was playing up front with Schwarz and Chuks (both awful) playing as half backs. It was a bizarre set up but LB got away with it.
    MK had 98.3% possession, had two corners and won free headers from both, plus two decent free kick opportunities and struck the post. We could easily have lost 3-1 on another day.

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Good away win, wanted a second to make it more comfortable but we did what we had to in the end. After we scored and MK Dons hit the post it felt like our luck was turning after recent games.

Millar for Smyth/the injured Doughty, Stockley for Bogle and Shinnie back in the team improves us. Great performance from Pratley, Fraser couldn't run straight through the middle like he did in the home game.

We did well going forward in the first half. Didn't threaten much in the second half but we were 1-0 up and playing who have a lot of possession. As good as it can look their league position shows it's not getting them results.

For some it won't be enough, for me we're improving. Bowyer's picking more balanced sides that have threats going. Attacking subs came on other than Pearce with a few minutes to go. Only one game but we got through the first half without giving the opposition a 2/3 goal lead.

I said after Saturday I'd stick with 4-4-2 and play Morgan on the right. Good decision from Bowyer to go more defensive with Pratley in the middle. Due to that Shinnie then started in that role on the right. It gives the midfield a good balance with Millar's pace, energy and dribbling ability on one side and Shinnie on the other. He's just as comfortable on the ball but offers a different threat with his passing rather than pace.

I've seen a few negative comments about tonight's win on here and social media. Maybe it's easy to forget that  our promotion winning sides in the recent past didn't dominate all game and neither was every win comfortable. Look back there are plenty of examples of grinding out narrow wins. I remember reading comments from opposition fans claiming "Charlton aren't that good" when we were regularly winning games in 11/12. There were flaws in that side but we built a team that was very consistent, strong defensively and could score goals. The 18/19 team under Bowyer had a lot of narrow wins and players we rate now like Dijksteel, Bielik and Aribo were improving as the season went on. In Parker we had a striker who couldn't score, even Bogle's scored twice this season.

We haven't looked like a team at times this season but I've seen positive changes recently, even though there's still room and a need to improve further. It feels to me like all the small improvements here and there are adding up and those fine margins are moving in our favour. There will be bumps along the way but I can see us going on a good run and unless there's another  big injury crisis we should have enough to at least make the play-offs. With TS as owner I'm looking forward to seeing how the squad looks once the window has closed. Based on what we've done so far I think we can be confident we'll be stronger than we were at the start of January.

If a new manager had replaced Bowyer from the Rochdale game I think most would be thinking they've made a promising start. 
    I do agree, but those ground out wins were interspersed with games where we looked like a seventies Brazil. Currently we have the ground out wins, I look forward to the Brazil performances. An I believe we have a squad capable, let’s hope we have the manager capable. The confidence and belief of a winning team will be as important in improved performance, as anything Bowyer and Jackson can do at Sparrows Lane.
  • Options

My post match comments were out of respect of his defensive duties. My match thread comments were to do with his attacking ones.
  • Options

My post match comments were out of respect of his defensive duties. My match thread comments were to do with his attacking ones.
    Just teasing 😏
  • Options
    SamE7 said:
    ...but Ronnie looks like a much better finisher and versatile player so that point really is void
    Ronnie is a much better finisher BUT he wasn't being played as that last night.

I'm not sure he's that versatile, he's a fox in the box