Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• Options
    Repeating what I said this afternoon, just don’t think Henderson is important / influential enough to hang such a hat on. 4 months out injured loses base fitness and match fitness, you’d need at least two 90 min games to get up to match fit, particularly an engine room position. Is a half fit Henderson a better bet than a fully fit Ward Prowse?

We arent good enough to carry players to fitness. 

Now they’re suggesting Maguire won’t be fit for any of the group games
    If Maguire isn't fit don't take him.
  • Options
    Positives - Grealish, can’t remember the last time this fella didn’t impress me. Saka did alright and I though Pickford looked ok. 
    Disagree, geezer can't catch a cold. 
    I’m not a huge fan of his, nowhere near as composed for a keeper as I’d like, but he kept a clean sheet, kicked well, commanded his box well (particularly given they had a two-legged lamppost), and made an excellent fingertip save onto the bar. 
  • Options
    Positives - Grealish, can’t remember the last time this fella didn’t impress me. Saka did alright and I though Pickford looked ok. 
    Disagree, geezer can't catch a cold. 
    I’m not a huge fan of his, nowhere near as composed for a keeper as I’d like, but he kept a clean sheet, kicked well, commanded his box well (particularly given they had a two-legged lamppost), and made an excellent fingertip save onto the bar. 
    Fair points, although he was very fortunate to keep a clean sheet. He did kick well, it's his strongest part of his game and his command of the box is generally good. Spilt it a couple of times and I'd bet a lot of money we'll concede a goal in the Euros like that. 
  • Options
    It’s a 7 game tournament to the final. Maguire will be fit. I’m sure the best physios in the country can assess that. 

I follow Henderson on Instagram and he’s been working his bollocks off and the blokes a machine. He’s got the class to fit back in if needed but I think rice Bellingham Mount could be the starting 3. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    There is always plenty of time to replace Henderson with Ward-Prowse... Southgate had to make a choice, he'd look an even bigger dick if Jordan showed his fitness and got added to the squad with Ward-Prowse dropped in favour of a better playe
     Can we bring players in and out now?
    Yes - Can make unlimited changes up until 11th June
    Deadline to submit 26 man squad was June 1st. If a player named in the squad later suffers injury or illness they can be replaced by another player. 

Not sure “unlimited changes” is technically correct?
    https://theathletic.com/news/euro-2020-final-squad-deadline/biaP7hRnaSRa

Unlimited changes are permitted prior to the first game on Friday, June 11 due to serious injury or illness, including a positive test of COVID-19 or close contact.

If a player is replaced, they are not allowed to return to the squad after that stage.
    Yeah but isn't that only if it's a new injury or illness? Otherwise what's the point in the June 1st deadline for squad submission...

ie if TAA's injury is serious, we could replace him because it's new. But we picked Henderson knowing full well he has been on his way back to full fitness.
  • Options
    If it's a 7 game tournament and a player isn't fit for 3 or 4 of them, what is the point? 

If we start the tournament and we have a CM suspended and one injured in the 4th game, where's the back-up? 

We're too busy trying to plan to have people back for the semi-final when we should have 26 players all raring to go by day 1. 
  • Options
    I'd take Ward Prowse over Lingard, we have enough players in his position aleady
  • Options
    If it's a 7 game tournament and a player isn't fit for 3 or 4 of them, what is the point? 

If we start the tournament and we have a CM suspended and one injured in the 4th game, where's the back-up? 

We're too busy trying to plan to have people back for the semi-final when we should have 26 players all raring to go by day 1. 
    where are you getting them timeframes from????
  • Options
    Gutted for Trent if he misses out but this couldn’t have worked out more perfectly for Southgate.

Not saying Gareth will be happy with the outcome, but it takes all blame away from him and ends this media circus. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    So total guess work
  • Options
    There is always plenty of time to replace Henderson with Ward-Prowse... Southgate had to make a choice, he'd look an even bigger dick if Jordan showed his fitness and got added to the squad with Ward-Prowse dropped in favour of a better playe
     Can we bring players in and out now?
    Yes - Can make unlimited changes up until 11th June
    Deadline to submit 26 man squad was June 1st. If a player named in the squad later suffers injury or illness they can be replaced by another player. 

Not sure “unlimited changes” is technically correct?
    https://theathletic.com/news/euro-2020-final-squad-deadline/biaP7hRnaSRa

Unlimited changes are permitted prior to the first game on Friday, June 11 due to serious injury or illness, including a positive test of COVID-19 or close contact.

If a player is replaced, they are not allowed to return to the squad after that stage.
    I bet Lincoln City would use that clause  ;)
  • Options
    As I said yesterday... Southgate can still drop Henderson for Ward-Prowse IF he doesnt feel that the former will be fit for the competition.

If Southgate feels that Henderson isnt fit then he can replace him with Ward-Prowse, imagine the reaction though had he picked Ward-Prowse telling him that he'd be dropped if Henderson proved his fitness?
  • Options
    For what it's worth, my starting XI and formation would now be:

Pickford
    Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
    Rice Mount
    Grealish  Foden Sterling
    Kane
  • Options
    For what it's worth, my starting XI and formation would now be:

Pickford
    Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
    Rice Mount
    Grealish  Foden Sterling
    Kane
    I would go exactly the same but swap Sancho for Sterling. The latter is in really poor form and the former has been excellent for Dortmund last few months.
  • Options
    Just leave Henderson at home, he’s not that good we should gamble on him.
  • Options
    Maguire
    Henderson
    Grealish
    TAA 

Injury concerns

Concerned if Maguire isn't going to be fit for the first game, he should have played 3 at the back yesterday as Coady isn't comfortable in a back 4.

Don't know why he isn't.   But he isn't. 

Also if Mings does that off the ball foul v Croatia, he's sent off, we concede a penalty.

Wreckless and stupid.  That concerns me about his tournament mental strength  
  • Options
    England's record for taking players to tournaments with fitness concerns isn't great.

For the seniors guys on here remember Brooking and Keegan and their cameo roles in the last game when they came on as subs; the idea was to use them from the Quarters ! Seemed a good plan at the time.

The problems with metatarsals as well in later tournaments.

Tough questions and even harder answers for Southgate to ponder.

Henderson is important (when match fit); the all action midfielder, water carrier if you use the pejorative term, But it's the super fit position as demonstrated by Kante and we have only the 17 year old Bellingham in the 26 to serve the drinks. Mount, Grealish and Foden  are great with the ball but only Henderson, Bellingham and Ward-Prowse  fit this role with Rice as the defensive midfield cover.
    Ward-Prowse must come in for the gifted TAA where we all know we have enough cover at Full back. 

Ward-Prowse can not only take a mean free kick but can feed Mount and/or Grealish and/or Foden.

I would have both the in form Lingard (not in 26 at mo) or the in form Sancho ahead of Sterling.

It's all about opinions and the only person who is making the calls is Gareth Southgate.

I wish him good luck as he will please and piss off fans in equal measure with his selections.

I'm excited and look forward to the roller coaster of emotions.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    supaclive said:
    Maguire
    Henderson
    Grealish
    TAA 

Injury concerns

Concerned if Maguire isn't going to be fit for the first game, he should have played 3 at the back yesterday as Coady isn't comfortable in a back 4.

Also if Mings does that off the ball foul v Croatia, he's sent off, we concede a penalty.

I don't think Grealish is an injury concern? He played brilliantly last night. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Maguire
    Henderson
    Grealish
    TAA 

Injury concerns

Had ice on the shin after.  I think he'll be OK but with Maguire, TAA and Henderson all concerns the squad starts to look a little risky.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Maguire
    Henderson
    Grealish
    TAA 

Injury concerns

Had some treatment with ice up in the stands after being subbed

Was probably a precaution as he mentioned after the game it wasnt to do with shin splints
  • Options
    Ah I see, if you have a quick look on twitter, a lot of Villa fans are saying that is Grealish's routine since returning from injury so don't think that is anything to worry about. He is going to be a big problem this summer. 
  • Options
    Ah I see, if you have a quick look on twitter, a lot of Villa fans are saying that is Grealish's routine since returning from injury so don't think that is anything to worry about. He is going to be a big problem this summer. 
    Could be a big part of the squad... Three years ago we scored a lot from set pieces

He's probably the one player who would win us countless free kicks in dangerous positions so will certainly be an asset
  • Options
    All this debate suggests to me that we aren't ready. We are always bringing in too many young players with little experience.

You can bet your life that Didier Deschamps knows exactly who his starting eleven is for the first match and what substitutes to use in each possible scenario.

I unfortunately think we will fluff it up again, and I'll be on an enforced Covid restricted holiday with 'allez les bleus' ringing in my ears when the French public wake up again at semi-final stage.

• Options
    Why aren’t we ready? All our players have fantastic experience in the best leagues in the world. All the players involved have been meeting at international level for the past 12-18 months. I’m also pretty sure Southgate knows his startling XI, in fact he told us a few weeks ago he was confident of knowing what it was.

The constant negativity and bashing of the international team drives me mad as most of the ‘criticism’ has absolute no basis.
  • Options
    Could be a big part of the squad... Three years ago we scored a lot from set pieces

He's probably the one player who would win us countless free kicks in dangerous positions so will certainly be an asset

I agree that with Grealish, Sancho, Mount or Foden we should win free kicks in hopefully dangerous positions. That is why Ward Prowse may make the 26 for TAA, ahead of the unlucky Lingard who's form has been excellent in recent months. If Henderson drops out then JWP is the straight swap anyway.  
  • Options
    The criticism has absolute basis - 40+ years of watching the same old mistakes.

How many of the squad from 2018 are in this squad? For me the turnover shouldn't exceed 20 per cent.

You talk about experience of 12-18 months of no tournaments - wow, really ? To win a tournament you need 6-7 players in the strongest 11 with 2 or 3 tournaments experience. England are far off as usual because we can never keep a settled squad over a period of years.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The criticism has absolute basis - 40+ years of watching the same old mistakes.

How many of the squad from 2018 are in this squad? For me the turnover shouldn't exceed 20 per cent.

You talk about experience of 12-18 months of no tournaments - wow, really ? To win a tournament you need 6-7 players in the strongest 11 with 2 or 3 tournaments experience. England are far off as usual because we can never keep a settled squad over a period of years.
    Our squad in 2018 had no depth, since then we've brought in probably the best young talent in world football. 

If performances were based on previous exploits, Portugal woundn't of won Euro 2016, Greece wouldn't of won Euro 2004, Leicester wouldn't of won the Premier League.......