Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• Options
    Andros Towsend ffs.
    https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ashley-khossousi/andros-townsend_b_4101173.html

This is example of what we we hearing 8 years ago.

Townsend, Barkley, Baines, Jack Wilshere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phil Jones, Sterling were all heralded as the bright new future of English football and only the latter is now really on the scene.

I want England to win but I'm realistic. I'd say that us winning the Euros this year is about the same in likelihood as Charlton doing a double promotion like Adkins did with Southampton. It's quite possible but unlikely.

I think your derision is unsubstantiated. Against Austria, a week before the tournament we played a player who hasn't even been picked for the squad, lol. We have central defenders who are very 2nd class internationally. It doesn't matter if we have great young attacking players. You need a strong spine of a team and 6 or 7 players with first team tournament experience to realise your expectations.

I hope I'm wrong but since attending every England match in Euro 96 and the devastating disappointed that brought, I've learnt to try to predict things objectively.
    Ah yes, that renowned football writer Ashley Khossousi from the Huffington Post.

Doesn't matter who wrote it. The point is that this was the general discourse across all media and amongst the public.
  • Options
    Andros Towsend ffs.

Townsend, Barkley, Baines, Jack Wilshere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phil Jones, Sterling were all heralded as the bright new future of English football and only the latter is now really on the scene.

I want England to win but I'm realistic. I'd say that us winning the Euros this year is about the same in likelihood as Charlton doing a double promotion like Adkins did with Southampton. It's quite possible but unlikely.

I think your derision is unsubstantiated. Against Austria, a week before the tournament we played a player who hasn't even been picked for the squad, lol. We have central defenders who are very 2nd class internationally. It doesn't matter if we have great young attacking players. You need a strong spine of a team and 6 or 7 players with first team tournament experience to realise your expectations.

I hope I'm wrong but since attending every England match in Euro 96 and the devastating disappointed that brought, I've learnt to try to predict things objectively.
    Ah yes, that renowned football writer Ashley Khossousi from the Huffington Post.

Doesn't matter who wrote it. The point is that this was the general discourse across all media and amongst the public.
    Really? Can’t say I know one person, including Spurs fans, who ever said Andros Townsend was a “bright new future of English football”.
  • Options
    This thread is going to be grim when France knock us out.

I don’t expect us to win this year, but we definitely have a chance. 

Romania will be interesting. That’ll show us what our tournament plan is and whether Southgate is willing to be brave.

• Options
    Andros Towsend ffs.

So widely spoken about this was the only source you could find?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Looking at the draw, it's probably better for us to go and finish second in the group.

Finish 1st: France/Germany/Portugal -> Spain -> Netherlands

Finish 2nd: Sweden/Poland -> France/Germany/Portugal -> Belgium/Italy

Yes I am discounting the chances of "minor" nations to simplify the picture but nonetheless, that knockout path for finishing top of Group D is brutal.
  • Options
    Also, it's madness to consider England one of the favourites. We had a decent WC 2018 but have to now prove that it wasn't a flash in the pan.
  • Options
    Also, it's madness to consider England one of the favourites. We had a decent WC 2018 but have to now prove that it wasn't a flash in the pan.
    I think it's very open. Personally I'd go into the game expecting us to lose against Belgium, Germany and France. Anyone else and I feel we've got a chance, and even against those three I'd still be cautiously optimistic. There's not a single team in the tournament who I think tick every box. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    The problem is you won't know the benefits of finishing first or second until a few games get played. You can get a few surprises that opens up one side of the draw which happened in the previous Euros to the benefit of Wales and to a certain extent the World cup for us.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Andros Towsend ffs.

Sorry jimmy, you've lost me a bit.

You're saying that Andros Townsend should be in England's Euro squad because 8 years ago he was quite decent?

Even though his game has gone backwards over 8 years, he's not the player he was and this is why he's stagnating at Palace.

I wonder why you think this?
    It can't be anything to do with his football performances for Palace as he's distinctly average at best.
    I've seen every Palace game this season live or highlights on MOTD.
    How many times have you seen Townsend play this season gone?

Is it just Townsend you want in the squad or the others as well like Barkley, Baines, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jones.

Does anyone else on CL wish Andros Townsend was in the England squad? (apart from those wanting England to lose, like the Scots?)
  • Options
    We used all our luck with paths to a final in 2018.

Lets just get on with it. Fact most of our games are at Wembley will really help.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    This thread is going to be grim when France knock us out.

I don’t expect us to win this year, but we definitely have a chance. 

Romania will be interesting. That’ll show us what our tournament plan is and whether Southgate is willing to be brave.

Henderson

James    Stones   Mings   Shaw

Phillips 

Mount       Bellingham  

Grealish        Kane         Foden  

• Options
    We've got absolutely nothing to loose. We aren't expected to win it and will probably play a favourite early on. Get the exciting players on the pitch and have a go
  • Options
    Yes but we wont will we ! We will put out a defensive team when we have to play a top side and go out trying to defend which we just cant do. Why on earth Maguire and Henderson are there is beyond me. If they ain't fit then leave them at home and take fit players ! Neither of them are world class and for them to be taking a place whilst unfit is an insult to other players imo
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I only watch Palace highlights when I know they have lost. 

In terms of our chances, it gets tough by the looks of things in the quarters. The semi and Final could be home games and that gives us a real chance, but a lot will depend who we get in the quarters playing away from Wembley. It is likely to be a top side. Get through that and it opens up.
  • Options
    If there's a live game on I watch it & I always watch MOTD at some point.
  • Options
    The way I see it is we have a squad capable of winning this tournament but I don't have confidence in the manager to get this best out of them. Southgate needs to be brave and attack teams. No use having some of the best attacking players at the tournament if you aren't going to use them properly. That said it's a tournament I'm really looking forward to
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking at the draw, it's probably better for us to go and finish second in the group.

Finish 1st: France/Germany/Portugal -> Spain -> Netherlands

Finish 2nd: Sweden/Poland -> France/Germany/Portugal -> Belgium/Italy

Yes I am discounting the chances of "minor" nations to simplify the picture but nonetheless, that knockout path for finishing top of Group D is brutal.
    On paper I agree, but in reality Spain are not what they were, neither are the Netherlands who almost lost to the mighty Scotland, and Germany are no great shakes despite having an Indian sign over England.  If England pick the right side (that’s a whole other debate) and play what’s in front of them rather than pay too much heed to reputations then they have a chance. This is a very open tournament. If France click they should romp it but they so often don’t.  
  • Options
    Why is no one considering Italy as winners. 

Win something like 8 on the trot without conceding a goal and unbeaten in 27 games since 2018
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Why is no one considering Italy as winners. 

Win something like 8 on the trot without conceding a goal and unbeaten in 27 games since 2018
    It’s a good record but look at the teams they’ve played. Apart from a draw against Portugal right at the start they’ve only really played the Netherlands ( 1 Win, 1 Draw)

If that was England we’d all be saying ‘but we haven’t had a proper challenge yet’

They definitely could win it, but I don’t think I’d have them above France, Portugal or Belgium.
  • Options
    Scotsman speaking, albeit one whose lived in England my entire adult life, but I just hope Southgate has the combined to play young Bellingham who is fit and raring to go rather than a half baked Henderson. I like Henderson but he can’t possibly be anywhere near match ready. You’ve got a chance here Gareth if you just go for it. 
  • Options
    If there's a live game on I watch it & I always watch MOTD at some point.
    I have very little interest in a watching live game on the telly unless it's us, England, or a 'major' game like the FA Cup Final or Champions League Final, or a major tournament.  It's why I don't have Sky, etc. and probably explains why I have almost no idea how good any of the England team are when playing for their clubs.  I see headlines singing the praises of the next bright young thing, e.g. Mount, Foden, Bellingham, Sancho but that's about it.

So I'll go into this hoping for the best, fearing for the worst, and getting acquainted with some of our players for the first time.
  • Options
    agim said:
    We've got absolutely nothing to loose. We aren't expected to win it and will probably play a favourite early on. Get the exciting players on the pitch and have a go
    A bit like Charlton with Hales, Flanagan, Paddy, etc.? "We don't care if you score three, we'll score four" can make for exciting football but I'd take seven 1-0 borefests.
  • Options
    My personal guess and from what others have said, the booing is nothing to do with booing the anti racism message.

The booing is because people attend football for enjoyment and to "escape" the everyday depressing stuff.
    A bit like if before every TV programme you had people taking the knee or had a party political broadcast.

A bit like if you went to the cinema and you viewed on every occasion people taking the knee or had a party political broadcast.

A bit like if you went to the pub or a restaurant and before you could eat or drink you were required to watch a video of people taking the knee or a party political broadcast.

People are going out for fun, for entertainment and don't want to have "politics" in their face indefinitely.

I can appreciate others feeling that it may enhance their football experience and makes them feel uplifted, but I'm simply trying to say that I don't think the booing is racist per se. 
    (Obviously some will be racist, but I estimate them to be a small minority). 

I think it's everything to do with racism given the only two examples I know of are at the toolbox and a percentage of the England support.