Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    So sorry to hear about your Mum Hex. It’s a sad time when you lose a parent and she sounded a lovely lady.
  • Options
    Sleep tight, dear Addick.
  • Options
    Very sorry @Hex
  • Options
    Very saddened to hear your news Hex. Look after yourself at this sad time. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Hex said:
    In all of this I forgot to mention mum was a season ticket holder and attended all home matches at 89 (then).  She never really understood football and the dementia meant she was not always sure which way we were kicking but she enjoyed it and “when are we going to Charlton” was her usual first comment to me.
    Aww, bless. That's another example of Charlton being about more than just the football. Sorry for your loss @Hex.
  • Options
    Condolences for the loss of your mom @Hex. A very sad time for you and your family. 
  • Options
    Hex said:
    In all of this I forgot to mention mum was a season ticket holder and attended all home matches at 89 (then).  She never really understood football and the dementia meant she was not always sure which way we were kicking but she enjoyed it and “when are we going to Charlton” was her usual first comment to me.
    True fan and supporter obviously, and fantastic that she was still coming to games. That is outstanding support and deep respect for that.

I sometimes wonder myself which way are kicking so she wasn’t alone!
    May your God bless you and yours and I hope you are coping with your loss. Can’t be easy with the restrictions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Hex said:
    Mclive said:
    aliwibble said:
    Gastric issues is one of the less well known Covid symptoms, so it might be to rule out him having had Covid but not realising.
    I doubt this. Although diarrhoea is a symptom so are multiple others. Some people literally have no symptoms whatsoever. It would seem a pointless question to ask randomly and in isolation.

Researchers want the government to add fatigue, headache, sore throat and diarrhoea to the existing three symptoms which trigger a Covid test.

Currently, anyone with a cough, fever or loss of smell or taste qualifies.

Testing for these additional symptoms could pick up 40% more cases, King's College London and the Zoe Symptom Study app have suggested.

However, this would mean many more people who don't have the virus being tested.

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: "An expert scientific group keeps the symptoms of Covid-19 under review.

"The main symptoms have been carefully selected to capture those most likely to have Covid-19, while not capturing a great number of people who do not."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/help-56096264

I agree with this.  For whatever reason the government are limiting the number of tests requested by limiting the symptom list.

my mum’s symptoms didn’t tick the boxes for several days.  We were lucky that the careers had a supply on-site.

Having carried out the test Mrs Hex subsequently developed symptoms but crucially not the three required to request a test.  She lied and said her very occasional cough was continuos.  The test was positive.  She was also able to get a test for me despite me not having symptoms.  My test was negative.

As our 2nd successive self-isolation came to an end I developed some similar symptoms to Mrs Hex but not the crucial three.  Luckily the Zoe app offers you a test for a much wider range of symptoms so I placed my order and hope to get the results tomorrow or Friday.

Incidentally, today the Zoe app as a survey on its front page, one of the questions asks if you would like an antibody test so if you have experienced what you thought was Covid but didn’t get a test to be sure, this may answer the question.

Sadly, my mum succumbed to Covid yesterday.   RIP Mum.
    I am so sorry for your loss, Hex. A heart breaking disease that snatches those we love. RIP your mum and fellow addick.
  • Options
    @Hex im so sorry to read of your mum's passing. She sounded a lovely lady and to be a season ticket holder at that age is just wonderful. My sincere condolences to you and your family. RIP xx
  • Options
    Had the Pfizer jab this morning, I'll update on any side effects (or not) later in the week.
    2 days in since having the vaccine and I'm pleased to report that I have had no side effects whatsoever, not even a sore arm. I know that's just my experience, but if offered the jab I would accept it.
  • Options
    I went out for a light jog a few days after my AZ but my muscles really didn't feel right and one of my hamstrings started to twinge.  So I decided "no jogging for at least a week".

But I slipped in some mud walking yesterday and, in my desperation, not to fall over jumped leapt across a puddle and ripped the hamstring! FFS

One of the more bizarre consequences of Covid and the vaccine (although it may actually have had nothing to do with it).  
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    My daughter - age 23 - had her first jab yesterday evening - she feels awful this morning - she had the Oxford vaccine - says she keeps getting hot, then cold, shivers, bad headache

Thanks for sharing, pleased to hear that I had the same symptoms as a 23 year old yesterday after my Vaccine on Wednesday.
    As the two 25 year old Nurses I know both vomited after having their vaccine the next day, young folk probably should have a reaction for 24 hours. As well as the rest of us hopefully !

Great news that my body can still recognize Invaders, and it gives me confidences that my body will fight back against the Spike protein if it tries to get its talons into me.
    I imagine a sword fight.

My elderly parents and my wife had no symptoms other that my Mum had a sore arm.

Ps. Condolences to @hex for your loss.
  • Options
    My wife had her vaccine on Wednesday. She has no ill effects whatsoever and is a bit concerned that she got given something else as she was the last one to get it that night - the nurses were fretting that they were going to run out and even turned away a patient because her surgery had sent her a text inviting her to have the vaccine by mistake!

• Options
    My wife had her vaccine on Wednesday. She has no ill effects whatsoever and is a bit concerned that she got given something else as she was the last one to get it that night - the nurses were fretting that they were going to run out and even turned away a patient because her surgery had sent her a text inviting her to have the vaccine by mistake!

In that case 🤞it might have been Flibanserin?😛😛😛
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Reassure your wife that it will be fine. This is an amazing logistical effort and she wasn't given a placebo but either Pfizer or Oxford AZ. Someone has to have the last dose of the day.
    As I said I had a reaction but my wife didn't.
    She is younger than me and works with young Children.

• Options
    Had AZ jab yesterday. Bit of a restless night and a little groggy first thing but all seems ok now.

So sorry to read of your sad news Hex.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Apologies, for mentioning it again, but I've always found it a bit peculiar that a cough was the number 1 symptom.
    I swear I haven't heard one person cough in the last 12 months.

Interesting thought ?
    How many people on here have had the flu or even the common cold( which has no cure) this winter ?
    In my working life I was always ill in February, mainly from working too many hours over the cold wet winter, traveling to work on packed trained, in crowded bars and going from cold outside to people in your face within coughing and sneezing  distance inside. Plus going to Charlton matches, being a football coach for mid week training and either a dad or manager on a Sunday when so many days it's was freezing or pouring down.

Unless my wife catches a cold, or flu germs from her little kids at school I should be fine.

In a massive hub on Wednesday having the vaccine and I didn't hear anyone cough or sneeze. Maybe the masks do help and emulating Greta Garbo !

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apologies, for mentioning it again, but I've always found it a bit peculiar that a cough was the number 1 symptom.
    I am convinced my mate had it in February - we went over to see him and his wife on a Saturday night for a curry, drinks, played pool in his garden room - he had a raging cough, really bad, like he had been smoking 80 Capstan Full Strength a day for the last 40 years - I was sat next to him at the dinner table, and it was horrific

He told us it suddenly came on the week before, and his chest felt tight, and he couldn’t shake it off with cough mixture or tablets - a few days later he was as right as rain
  • Options
    I have received my PCR test result and as expected it is positive.  My Covid diary so far looks like this :-
    Day 1.     22 Jan   Pfizer jab
    Day 20.   10 Feb.  Approx infection date 
    Day 25.   15 Feb.  First symptoms
    Day 26.   16 Feb.  PCR test
    Day 28.   18 Feb.  Positive test result received
  • Options
    I had the AZ jab last weekend. No adverse reaction that I’ve noticed, ie no headaches, generally feeling ill etc ...starting to wonder if it was duff batch now 
  • Options
    Hex said:
    I have received my PCR test result and as expected it is positive.  My Covid diary so far looks like this :-
    How are you feeling @Hex, as it would be interesting to know if the jab has reduced the severity of the illness for you?
  • Options

Interesting thought ?
    How many people on here have had the flu or even the common cold( which has no cure) this winter ?
    In my working life I was always ill in February, mainly from working too many hours over the cold wet winter, traveling to work on packed trained, in crowded bars and going from cold outside to people in your face within coughing and sneezing  distance inside. Plus going to Charlton matches, being a football coach for mid week training and either a dad or manager on a Sunday when so many days it's was freezing or pouring down.

Unless my wife catches a cold, or flu germs from her little kids at school I should be fine.

In a massive hub on Wednesday having the vaccine and I didn't hear anyone cough or sneeze. Maybe the masks do help and emulating Greta Garbo !

I don't know about the cold, but I read somewhere that the flu was almost non-existent this year. <1% of normal rate.
  • Options

The main aim of the vaccines were/are to keep folk out of hospitals by attacking the spike protein; a burglar gets in your house but you wack then over the head as soon as they take a step inside. You had insider information(vaccine) so you are prepared.
    Both the Messenger RNA of the Pfizer and the traditional Oxford-AstraZeneca have the same aim even if they are different ways of achieving the same goal.

Reading the words of Professor Pollard and Gilbert regarding Vaccines stopping transmission, that wasn't their aim but to stop people needing hospital treatment was.
    Mild reaction to SARS-Cov-2 the virus is the aim; minimal amount of COVID-19 the illness is the objective.

Because of old age, or underlying issues or even undected health issues there will continue to be deaths but if it can be down to the same amount as seasonal flu in the UK then life for many of us which has been put on hold for 11 months and counting can slowly but carefully be started again.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    How are you feeling @Hex, as it would be interesting to know if the jab has reduced the severity of the illness for you?
    That’s going to be impossible to say unless I end up in hospital or worse.  So far I’ve had temperatures but nothing high, a cough but nothing much.  It feels like a head cold but only the occasional sneeze and my skin feels very irritating.  So nothing too bad but, whatever I do eg a 20min phone call, I feel tired afterwards.  Mrs Hex who had similar symptoms (no jab) is about 10 days ahead of me so is allowed out to play.  She went for her first walk around the block yesterday and returned shattered.  As a comparison she ran her first 10k in January.
  • Options
    The so called one dose Johnson and Johnson Vaccine uses a modified adenovirus that can enter cells but can't replicate inside them or cause illness. Johnson & Johnson's vaccine comes out of decades of research on adenovirus-based vaccines similar to the Oxford university researched vaccine.

American Virologists are questioning how the JJ vaccine can only have dose and not two as they can't see where the longevity will come from or the boost.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's announced soon that two doses, 3 months apart will happen for the Janssen JJ Vaccine.
  • Options
    I am convinced my mate had it in February - we went over to see him and his wife on a Saturday night for a curry, drinks, played pool in his garden room - he had a raging cough, really bad, like he had been smoking 80 Capstan Full Strength a day for the last 40 years - I was sat next to him at the dinner table, and it was horrific

He told us it suddenly came on the week before, and his chest felt tight, and he couldn’t shake it off with cough mixture or tablets - a few days later he was as right as rain
    From what you have described I doubt he had Covid.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    Hex said:
    That’s going to be impossible to say unless I end up in hospital or worse.  So far I’ve had temperatures but nothing high, a cough but nothing much.  It feels like a head cold but only the occasional sneeze and my skin feels very irritating.  So nothing too bad but, whatever I do eg a 20min phone call, I feel tired afterwards.  Mrs Hex who had similar symptoms (no jab) is about 10 days ahead of me so is allowed out to play.  She went for her first walk around the block yesterday and returned shattered.  As a comparison she ran her first 10k in January.
    I hope you feel better soon.