Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Charlton v Portsmouth | Sat 30 Jan 2021 *POSTPONED!*

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    No comments from Thomas on Twitter today, I wonder what his reaction to the postponement was?

I don't mean that I expect him to be blaming people, but clearly he'll want to avoid this happening again
    I'm not sure how anybody can stop it raining. The pitch was unplayable today but it normally drains very well except by the tunnel.
    Yes weather problems can be localised, but it wasn't as if loads of games were lost to the weather, only 3 in the EFL. And watching Quest, it wasn't as if the pitches elsewhere were quagmires either

And in the NL, even if you discount Bromley because they have a plastic pitch, both Dagenham and Barnet's games went ahead.

Crusty54 said:
    No comments from Thomas on Twitter today, I wonder what his reaction to the postponement was?

I don't mean that I expect him to be blaming people, but clearly he'll want to avoid this happening again
    I'm not sure how anybody can stop it raining. The pitch was unplayable today but it normally drains very well except by the tunnel.
    Yes weather problems can be localised, but it wasn't as if loads of games were lost to the weather, only 3 in the EFL. And watching Quest, it wasn't as if the pitches elsewhere were quagmires either

And in the NL, even if you discount Bromley because they have a plastic pitch, both Dagenham and Barnet's games went ahead.
    If the pitch had not been waterlogged (which it clearly was from the pictures I've seen) and the game had been played it would  have cut up badly and the surface could have been poor for the rest of the season.

I was walking around Charlton Park in the late morning. Many of the paths were covered in water because it couldn't drain into the grass which was waterlogged. Local enough to work out that the game would be off.

We have had a lot of rain in south east London recently. Sorry but the game needed to be postponed.
    I wasn't arguing that the game shouldn't have been postponed, but rather why our pitch was so much worse than others in London and the south. The only other postponed games in the top 5 leagues were in the Midlands (Northampton, Walsall and Solihull)
    The X factor is that it depends how much rain falls on each ground. Believe me it rained heavily throughout the time I walked 6km around the area yesterday morning. I was out for around 90 minutes. I got home soaked to the skin. 

A couple of years ago I went to an evening cup game where it rained heavily throughout the match. The pitch drained superbly with the exception of the patch along the touchline near the tunnel.  

Hopefully it will be playable on Tuesday evening.
  • Options
    I'm not convinced this game could not have been postponed earlier than one hour before kick off.
  • Options
    I'm not convinced this game could not have been postponed earlier than one hour before kick off.
    It was stated in the quotes that they wanted Portsmouth to see the state of the pitch before the ref made the final decision.

• Options
    didn't really make any difference to be fair - it's not like the away fans were half way up the A3
  • Options
    Got a feeling we could have made more effort!!

Looking forward to the match against the whipping boys of the division: Pisspor