Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Smith MK2 (the Arsenal loanee one) - gone to Wigan p7

Comments

• Options
    Fosu has improved while Bowyer has been our manager 
    Shame it wasn't under Bowyer :lol:

• Options
    Million dollar question, is whether Swindon sent him back because he wasn’t deemed good enough, or whether we ‘poached’ him a la Gallgher to Swansea. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    I haven't done the groundwork yet (for which I apologise), but the arrival of Matt Smith forms the basis for a nice quiz question:

Apart from the obvious 1947 team, which Charlton players (past and present) have an FA Cup Winners medal?
    Smith, Barnes, Blomquist, Crooks, Maxie Miller, Watson, Pates, Jeffers, Murphy? 
    It's a good list.

Not sure about Pates.
    I thought he was at Arsenal when they beat Wednesday, he wasn't, on a side note he won the league but didn't get a medal. 
  • Options
    Million dollar question, is whether Swindon sent him back because he wasn’t deemed good enough, or whether we ‘poached’ him a la Gallgher to Swansea. 
    Apparently it was Swindon’s manager decision. A lot of Swindon fans are livid he’s gone. 
    Which can only be a good thing. 

If it had been Bowyer's decision to send Gallagher back, we'd have been livid too. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    ”should hit the ground running” (Bowyer) = Trips over his own feet

“he’ll complement our team and the way we play” (Gallen) = Won't get picked, but he'll say nice things when he's standing on the touchline

Seriously though, Welcome Matt. I think this may be the first time in our history that we've had two players with identical names (I'll check later). Good job we have a numbering system to distinguish him from Matt Smith (V895).

We've had two David Campbells IIRC. I saw the second one play but not the first.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    He turned Chuks into a pretty deadly number 9.
  • Options
    I'd keep it going @Dazzler21, but not when you're indulging in arguing in such bad faith
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This Matt Smith is as confusing as the last one.  So far I have seen he is an 8 or a 10 and a replacement for Pratley. 

Why don't people just say I haven't got a scooby I have only seen him once/twice and didn't pay much attention?  Then try and label him once you have actually seen him play? 
  • Options
    Who would have thought that good young players come in to the team and play and get better 
    What about the shit players who come in to the team and are shit and moved on 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    My thoughts.
    There's too many Matt Smiths in the game...and Dembeles and Traores
  • Options
    My thoughts.
    There's too many Matt Smiths in the game...and Dembeles and Traores
    In the early 00s there was a plethora of Cisse's almost everyone had one.  Seem to have gone out of fashion. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    I haven't done the groundwork yet (for which I apologise), but the arrival of Matt Smith forms the basis for a nice quiz question:

Apart from the obvious 1947 team, which Charlton players (past and present) have an FA Cup Winners medal?
    It's a good list.

Not sure about Pates.
    Maurice Setters
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This Matt Smith is as confusing as the last one.  So far I have seen he is an 8 or a 10 and a replacement for Pratley. 

Why don't people just say I haven't got a scooby I have only seen him once/twice and didn't pay much attention?  Then try and label him once you have actually seen him play? 
    I will admit I haven't a scooby but really don't see him being an upgrade on what we already have but I will trust Gallen on this one as its his job not mine. 
    Look forward to comparing how much game time he gets with us seeing as he got a lot at Swindon 
  • Options
    Hope he can be more effective than Levitt. We’ve had some goodens from Arsenal so fingers crossed he we will cut the mustard. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    But the opposition will have a good player so we'll have to play Pratley instead to man-mark him and get rave reviews from everyone for what a good job he did running around after one specific opposition player 
    You're being really mopey today, and it's getting a bit repetitive across the threads. Maybe take a break.
    All this talk of binning off Maddison has aroused my ire
    IF we see Maddison go it'll add to the argument that Bowyer can only manage easy to manage players and that he can only use already decent players and doesn't in fact make any players better, he just bins the ones that don't play well for a spell. 
    Nonsense
    Don't see how it is, what hard to manage players has he had?

What players have genuinely improved under Bowyer? A few have gone backwards. 

Taylor didn’t exactly smack me as easy for example, I don’t know the personalities of individual players. 

As for improvement. Well Taylor, Grant, Gallagher, Doughty, Belik, Cullen, Aribo etc etc 
    Are we saying Taylor was well managed? He was good for us until the moment he became a bit of a nightmare, downed tools and we got relegated! 
  • Options
    Can't pretend to know anything about him other than what's been posted on here but on the vids he clearly likes to pass forward, has good vision, and plays well with both feet. Guess the same could possibly be said for Levitt - let's hope he makes a lot more impact. Be funny if he's instrumental in a win against Pompey since he wasn't here on Saturday! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    one Matty Smithy, there's only one !?  ...... .. hang on, which one haven we just signed ?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:

It's a good list.

Not sure about Pates.
    Maurice Setters
    Very good hit.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:

It's a good list.

Not sure about Pates.
    Maurice Setters
    Very good hit.
    Paul Gilchrist (Southampton) and Vic Halom ( Sunderland). David Young would have got an unused sub medal for the Mackems as well. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Billy Bonds
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:

It's a good list.

Not sure about Pates.
    hermann hreiðarsson Is another 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Dave Rudd said:

Ben Watson.

I guess I'm late to the party? :smile:

• Options
    No youtube video of him playing like Messi, you lot are slacking. I'll come back to this thread in a bit when there is one.

Welcome Matt Smith
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Stig said:

“he’ll complement our team and the way we play” (Gallen) = Won't get picked, but he'll say nice things when he's standing on the touchline

Seriously though, Welcome Matt. I think this may be the first time in our history that we've had two players with identical names (I'll check later). Good job we have a numbering system to distinguish him from Matt Smith (V895).

We've had two David Campbells IIRC. I saw the second one play but not the first.

I remember the first David Campbell was a young centre half who came through the youth system here.
    Broke into the 1st team as a teenager and established himself quickly.

Then got destroyed by the bullying of his manager, Andy Nelson.

And quit football at 21 or something.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Nicholas said:
    No youtube video of him playing like Messi, you lot are slacking. I'll come back to this thread in a bit when there is one.

Welcome Matt Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzSDOsCYhck

Looks like the Shinnie/Morgan competition really. But can definitely play the deeper role as shown in the video. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Stig said:

And as my son reminded me, "We've got two Sodjes".