Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Smith MK2 (the Arsenal loanee one) - gone to Wigan p7

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    aliwibble said:
    Stig said:
    ”should hit the ground running” (Bowyer) = Trips over his own feet

“he’ll complement our team and the way we play” (Gallen) = Won't get picked, but he'll say nice things when he's standing on the touchline

Seriously though, Welcome Matt. I think this may be the first time in our history that we've had two players with identical names (I'll check later). Good job we have a numbering system to distinguish him from Matt Smith (V895).

We've had two David Campbells IIRC. I saw the second one play but not the first.
    And as my son reminded me, "We've got two Sodjes".
    Didn't we have two Radostin Kishishevs ....... or have I got that wrong? :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Stig said:
    aliwibble said:
    Stig said:

“he’ll complement our team and the way we play” (Gallen) = Won't get picked, but he'll say nice things when he's standing on the touchline

Seriously though, Welcome Matt. I think this may be the first time in our history that we've had two players with identical names (I'll check later). Good job we have a numbering system to distinguish him from Matt Smith (V895).

We've had two David Campbells IIRC. I saw the second one play but not the first.
    And as my son reminded me, "We've got two Sodjes".
    Didn't we have two Radostin Kishishevs ....... or have I got that wrong? :smile:
    Certainly felt that way the kicking he gave Ronaldo
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    No youtube video of him playing like Messi, you lot are slacking. I'll come back to this thread in a bit when there is one.

Welcome Matt Smith
    We’re too busy talking about anything but Matt Smith. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oh okay... He's used to our formation. 

Could we see him taking the Pratson/Watley role?
    hope so
  • Options

• Options
    Roles he's previously played from TransferMarkt... Wont surprise me if he's a bit of a Williams / Levitt replacement

He's a shoo in for Paul Smyth's role at right wing back - guaranteed!
  • Options
  • Options
    So promotion is the goal this season... Again. 
  • Options
    The Arsenal Reconnection Does In Swindon

Who ?

I don’t understand that @Val@Valiantphil

@AFKA
    We had a Matt Smith before, seems like we have gone back in Time. Lord knows if it is the  same chap - perhaps it is the same guy Regenerated. We will be able to tell by his dialect (sorry LOL). 
    I’m off to Exterminate all this Cyber stuff. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    In fairness whatever the case may be the club management is definitely going to be taking issue with anyone saying out loud "fuck it, we've written the season off and just going to coast it from here."
  • Options
    That's left back covered.
  • Options
    I'll get me coat.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    aliwibble said:
    Stig said:

I remember the first David Campbell was a young centre half who came through the youth system here.
    Broke into the 1st team as a teenager and established himself quickly.

Then got destroyed by the bullying of his manager, Andy Nelson.

And quit football at 21 or something.

Didn't he go to school at the Roan in Blackheath? His namesake came from Forest I think or is my memory playing tricks again.

Edit; @aliwibble memory was good at least on the ex Forest Campbell (Brian Clough was the manager) signed for £75k in 1987.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    aliwibble said:
    Stig said:

I remember the first David Campbell was a young centre half who came through the youth system here.

Didn't he go to school at the Roan in Blackheath? His namesake came from Forest I think or is my memory playing tricks again.
    I believe you're right: Remember, the first David Campbell was first schoolboy ever to play in the first team at Charlton.
    That was in the late 70s, Andy Nelson era.

The second David Campbell we signed from Forest in the late 80s, when we were Lennie's Nomads in the top division.
    He was the Norn Iron international.

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    aliwibble said:
    Stig said:

Edit; @aliwibble memory was good at least on the ex Forest Campbell (Brian Clough was the manager) signed for £75k in 1987.
    Yes, a few years older than me.
    Worked in the city and made his fortune.
  • Options
    I’m sure everyone is up in arms as honest Charlton fans who cried at what happened with Conor Gallagher and the whole footballing world being against us now see that it’s happening to Swindon and we refuse this loan deal on the grounds it is not fair to Swindon 
    There are rumours Swindon sent him back to Arsenal rather than being recalled and sent higher in the League

Few Swindon fans on twitter are questioning the Management decisions - Otherwise I do agree with where you're coming from

Well I don't  ;)

Nothing like the Gallagher situation 
  • Options
    I’m sure everyone is up in arms as honest Charlton fans who cried at what happened with Conor Gallagher and the whole footballing world being against us now see that it’s happening to Swindon and we refuse this loan deal on the grounds it is not fair to Swindon 
    There are rumours Swindon sent him back to Arsenal rather than being recalled and sent higher in the League

Few Swindon fans on twitter are questioning the Management decisions - Otherwise I do agree with where you're coming from

Well I don't  ;)

Nothing like the Gallagher situation 
    Ben Purrington was though and we weren't bothered about that one ;) 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    In fairness whatever the case may be the club management is definitely going to be taking issue with anyone saying out loud "fuck it, we've written the season off and just going to coast it from here."
    "The gaffer told me that the club shop has a load of shirts with "Smyth" on them, and that if we can sign a "Smith", we'll only have to correct one letter"
  • Options
    Welcome, Smith.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    aliwibble said:
    Stig said:

Yes, a few years older than me.
    Worked in the city and made his fortune.
    I played with him in the same team at Wyborne Primary School - his Dad had played for Hearts and they lived in Footscray Road. He was a brilliant player, not even sure why he gave up so early maybe injury.
    Anyway, became a millionaire with deals in the City  
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Nicholas said:
    No youtube video of him playing like Messi, you lot are slacking. I'll come back to this thread in a bit when there is one.

Welcome Matt Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzSDOsCYhck

Looks like the Shinnie/Morgan competition really. But can definitely play the deeper role as shown in the video. 
    Looks all right to me.
  • Options
    Hard to get too excited- will probably get 10 minutes a game and then end up playing in defence.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    Hard to get too excited- will probably get 10 minutes a game and then end up playing in defence.
    Why? What have you heard?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Hoof it up is John Sheridan and having started him in every league game till January for Swindon this season came to the conclusion that he is useless and sent him back to arsenal because he was surplus to requirements 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Hoof it up is John Sheridan and having started him in every league game till January for Swindon this season came to the conclusion that he is useless and sent him back to arsenal because he was surplus to requirements 
    Ah, that would explain it.
  • Options
    I like the loan. Let's see if we can keep him healthy! We seem to be an injury probe club the last three seasons.
  • Options
    The year of lockdown has distanced me from seeing our younger players and also the younger players from other clubs. All there is to go on really is that clip where he is filmed playing development football...something me and some others on Charlton Life were familiar with.
    So in the film against his peers, had he been playing at that level against our guys he would definitely be one who would catch the eye in matches.
    If we have had confidence to bring through players like Konsa, Grant, Lapslie, Morgan, Doherty and others in the recent past, from the little evidence we have I would suggest that Matt Smith could progress like those other players have.
    Welsh international or not, I am more confident of a positive contribution from Matt Smith than I ever was about Dylan Levitt.
  • Options
    I think he will be a good signing, possibly in the mold of Josh Cullen. I know he is on loan now but could he be one for the future either by signing permenantly or by getting a second season loan (like Josh).

He looks strong,  fast and quick thinking which is something that I think we have missed in our midfield this season.