Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2021

Comments

• Options
    143-3

Lyth 90*
    Another one of the long list of rejected England opening batsmen 
  • Options
    A 4th catch to Robbo - again off Milnes - with Lyth out for 97

150-4
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    The slips look snazzy in their snoods, and bodywarmer trousers... Umpire wearing gloves...

Too cold for cricket!
    Such are the consequences of having to fit the County Championship around The Hundred and the other white ball comps - 50 years ago, in 1971, the first CC game of the season started on 1st May not the 8th April. Coincidentally, that match was against Yorkshire too.

Our team that contained no less than five players who would play Test cricket for England, two West Indian internationals, a South African born Charlton footballer and one of the best fielders ever to represent us in the "shape" of Alan Ealham:

Luckhurst
    Denness
    Cowdrey
    Ealham
    Knott
    Leary
    Shepherd
    Julien
    Underwood
    Graham
    Dye

Deadly Derek Underwood's figures in the first innings were 21-10-28-7

I hate to say it but the team actually contains six players who played test cricket for England. The obvious five (Luckhurst, Denness, Cowdrey, Knott and Underwood), plus Alan Ealham.  Sure, he was never capped, nor did he bat or bowl, but he did field as a substitute at Lords against Australia in 1977 (I think that was the year?).

I toured with three of those players too (Denness, Underwood and Graham), and each were an absolute delight to be around.
  • Options
    200-4
  • Options
    An LBW to Cummins

220-5
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    The slips look snazzy in their snoods, and bodywarmer trousers... Umpire wearing gloves...

Too cold for cricket!
    Such are the consequences of having to fit the County Championship around The Hundred and the other white ball comps - 50 years ago, in 1971, the first CC game of the season started on 1st May not the 8th April. Coincidentally, that match was against Yorkshire too.

Our team that contained no less than five players who would play Test cricket for England, two West Indian internationals, a South African born Charlton footballer and one of the best fielders ever to represent us in the "shape" of Alan Ealham:

Luckhurst
    Denness
    Cowdrey
    Ealham
    Knott
    Leary
    Shepherd
    Julien
    Underwood
    Graham
    Dye

I hate to say it but the team actually contains six players who played test cricket for England. The obvious five (Luckhurst, Denness, Cowdrey, Knott and Underwood), plus Alan Ealham.  Sure, he was never capped, nor did he bat or bowl, but he did field as a substitute at Lords against Australia in 1977 (I think that was the year?).

I toured with three of those players too (Denness, Underwood and Graham), and each were an absolute delight to be around.
    Know that team well with the exception of Dye? Replace him with Norman Graham and I remember the full set.
  • Options
    A very wide half volley from Leaning is edged to Stevens at slip

240-6 off 64 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:

Too cold for cricket!

Luckhurst
    Denness
    Cowdrey
    Ealham
    Knott
    Leary
    Shepherd
    Julien
    Underwood
    Graham
    Dye

Know that team well with the exception of Dye? Replace him with Norman Graham and I remember the full set.
    Big Norm is in there already!  

John Dye was a blond fast bowler who had a (very) long curved run in (similar to John Price of Middlesex). 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:

Too cold for cricket!

Luckhurst
    Denness
    Cowdrey
    Ealham
    Knott
    Leary
    Shepherd
    Julien
    Underwood
    Graham
    Dye

Big Norm is in there already!  

John Dye was a blond fast bowler who had a (very) long curved run in (similar to John Price of Middlesex). 
    Bob Woolmer came in for John Dye the following season  - batted at 8 initially (as opposed to Dye's 10)  but, of course, went on to become a true all rounder. Asif Iqbal replaced Leary in the side and the likes of Graham Johnson and David Nicholls featured too.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A couple more wickets for Stevens and a 5th catch to Robinson but at 346-8 from 299-8 the innings is slipping away from us somewhat 
  • Options
    358-8 at close. Yorkshire's day
  • Options
    Yorks 379 all out

Stevens 4-60 & a catch
    Milnes 3-76

Robinson 5 catches

• Options
    DBD LBW Willey 13

18-1
  • Options
    What does everyone think about the Hundred? I am quite happy with the Twenty20 format and don't see the need for another version. It is only 20 deliveries i.e. a sixth less and I don't like the reported changes to terms and no LBW. Also, the way the teams are made up, Kent players are in 2 different sides so split loyalty.
  • Options
    What does everyone think about the Hundred? I am quite happy with the Twenty20 format and don't see the need for another version. It is only 20 deliveries i.e. a sixth less and I don't like the reported changes to terms and no LBW. Also, the way the teams are made up, Kent players are in 2 different sides so split loyalty.
    It's a money making exercise for the ECB that they are hoping will encourage kids to take up cricket. It's not cricket though.
  • Options
    It's pap. Totally unnecessary IMO, and a complete waste of the ECB's time and money. They feel the need to compete with the IPL, but the Vitality Blast is a big-time loser to the Indian and Aussie T20 competitions. So some OxBridge marketing bods dream something up without any respect to cricket's legacy, and spunk a huge sponsorship windfall on it. 

I will be boycotting it - I have no affiliation with any of the "new" teams, so it's just about players. 
  • Options
    Crawley bowled Olivier 1

25-2

• Options
    Time for Leaning to step up against his former county...
  • Options
    I think we are down to 10 players because Podmore came off with a side strain yesterday and "sub" took a catch today for us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not Kent but Middx are 14-5 against Hampshire

Not a bad spell from Abbas

Abbas3.0 -1- 3- 5

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Abbas3.0 -1- 3- 5

A superb "English style" bowler...

Hampshire have made a stunning start to the season
  • Options
    59-3 at lunch with Denly gone for 17
  • Options
    Time for Leaning to step up against his former county...
    .....out for a duck. That one's on you killer
  • Options
    Meanwhile Cox is still there on 24. Down to him and the other young guns, Robinson and Stevens, to rescue us again!
  • Options
    Cox LBW for 38

104-5
  • Options
    Cox LBW for 38

104-5
    That one's on you!
  • Options
    Cox LBW for 38

104-5
    That one's on you!
    To be fair I've probably got more in my career on CL than you have! 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Abbas3.0 -1- 3- 5

79 all out and Abbas finished with 11-6-11-6
  • Options
    152-5

Robinson 43*
    Stevens 29*