Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst away destinations

Following on from the 'worst away game been to watching Charlton' thread I was gonna post this but it was more to do with the place than the actual football. 

Birmingham away is always shite. Purely because for what is called the second city there is bugger all there apart from a shopping precinct. Loads of roundabouts and only 1 decent pub. I would hate to live there. We ended up wining 1-0 but being asked by a bunch of Birmingham fans to shut our lot up who were singing 'Birmingham is a shit hole, i wanna go home'  (as if I was in charge) or otherwise when they come down the valley they will tear into our fans, didn't help my feelings towards the place. 

got lost on the way back from the ground and ended up walking through depressing estate after depressing estate. 

whats your worst away trip destination? 

Comments

• Options
    Oddly I’ve always had great away days in Birmingham town centre, some great pubs, and if you don’t get in there way locals are alright. 

I always say Reading is one of the worst. Terrible town and then you have to go on that old bus to get to the ground. 

Oldham is probably the worst actual place though. Buildings, people etc seems to have stayed 40 years behind rest of the country. 
  • Options
    Oddly I’ve always had great away days in Birmingham town centre, some great pubs, and if you don’t get in there way locals are alright. 

I always say Reading is one of the worst. Terrible town and then you have to go on that old bus to get to the ground. 

Oldham is probably the worst actual place though. Buildings, people etc seems to have stayed 40 years behind rest of the country. 
    As someone who lived in Reading for 4 years until about a year ago and attended a few home games, getting to the ground isn't much easier for the home fans than the away fans
  • Options

Probably doing the place a disservice but i couldn't find any real characterful pubs. Mainly stayed around the gas street basin. The pub i went in was the Canalside bar which was alright. 
  • Options
    Middlesbrough, ground is miles from anywhere and it’s in Middlesbrough 
    That’s probably my choice too. 

The Withdean Stadium was a bit of a pain to get to but the bar was good. 
  • Options
    I usually drive to away games & it's the parking that is the problem for me, especially as over the years more restrictions have come into place as to where you can or can not park. Last season I signed up to some car parking app which was great & parked very easily & much cheaper than normal. 

Worst to get to -  Hull, Lincoln & Grimsby. All at the arsehole to nowhere & you drive what seems like miles & miles.

Once stayed in Bootle for game with Liverpool. Train in & we thought we would walk back to the City afterwards for food & beer. Got completely lost & spent an hour walking around deserted streets of what (I'm told) is the best place in the world.

Luton for the walk through peoples gardens.

Colchester for the pisstake of having to pay £6 to park opposite their ground for a pre-season game 2 years ago. Had to park there (I thought) as its miles from the town centre & surrounding roads are all double yellows. Little did I know that people had parked in the Macdonalds on the other side of the A12 & walked10 mins to the ground.

• Options
    Another vote for Luton.
  • Options
    Stoke. Not desperate to get back there.
  • Options

Decades since I’ve been there but I seem to recall cobbled streets outside the ground ... must admit I don’t recall many saving graces for the town and didn’t stick in my mind. 

All I can recall is that one of my mates got nicked for going into their end and starting a ruck, and we had to wait around for a couple of hours until he was released. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gillingham , Luton and Southend are all pretty grim .

Historically Colchester's Layer Road wins my vote as biggest dive I have been to .
  • Options
    Stoke, Middlesbrough, Cov, Wolves, Derby, Dagenham. 

Birmingham is far from my favourite destination but is poles apart from those hell holes. Gillingham is shocking but at least Rochester has a few decent pubs, Southend is saved by virtue of the sea. 
  • Options
    The Dell was bloody grim
  • Options
    Close between Port Vale and Luton.... I think Luton gets it cause of the wood stand, but then again Stoke is not the most inspiring location in the UK - nice pots tho'.
  • Options
    Ayresome park was something to behold, especially when it was snowing........
  • Options
    Oxford Old Manor ground was a absolute shit hole 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Ayresome park was something to behold, especially when it was snowing........
    When Caton scored a pen jn the last second they went ferrel. 
  • Options
    Yeovil for me. Train station that is neither near the ground or the town centre. Once you get to the town centre it has no decent pubs. Getting from the town centre to the ground is another hassle.  Only open part of the ground is the away end
  • Options
    Middlesbrough, ground is miles from anywhere and it’s in Middlesbrough 

Ayresome Park was a shit ground too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Burnley, Scunthorpe, Mansfield and Barnsley, absolute dumps
  • Options
    Definitely have to agree with those who’ve already said Luton, Burnley and Barnsley. The kind of places that destroy your soul.
  • Options
    Vetch Field was a dump as well

And Ninian Park
  • Options
    Luton and Reading.... Bloody awful both of them! 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    AFC Wimbledon at that tin-pot little ground in the middle of nowhere between Norbiton and New Malden.  Just a load of tyre warehouses and dodgy council estates.  When the wind was from the south you got a revolting stench wafting over from the sewage works next to the Hogsmill River. AND we always lost there.  Shyte.
  • Options
    Yep Selhurst Park for me. Hated our time there and the area seemed void of any character at all. Never ever even went for a beer before or after the games there.
  • Options
    Stoke.