Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst away destinations

124»

Comments

• Options
    Middlesborough
    Luton 
    Tranmere
    Stoke
    Port Vale
    Peterborough
    Southampton
    Grimsby
    Gillingham
    Crewe

No redeeming features with the possible exception of Middlesborough because of Ironopolis but that's outweighed by the milk bottle aerial bombardment at Ayresome.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Toolbox
    Shithurst
    Loftus Road
    Most away fans rate us as an away day. ... closest club to central London, one stop from London Bridge, walking distance from The Bermondsey Mile, numerous old traditional pubs nearby on the river, Tower Bridge just up the road, plenty of history. Ok, certain parts of the surrounding areas are a bit of a shithole but away fans don’t have any reason to wander around those. 

I’d say it has a lot more going for it than Charlton, which is set in a pretty soulless area, like a big industrial/trading estate. Not the greatest to get to either. 

Greenwich is nice though, I’ll give you that. Love it there. 

Can't disagree with you regarding the location - must be great for the up t'north fans seeing a bit of that there London.

Don't think it holds as much attraction for other south Londoners though, and being locked in for an hour in the pissing rain takes a bit of the shine off it. Also, it's nowhere near as good an atmosphere as the Old Den (I'm pretty sure you'll agree with that).
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Middlesborough
    Luton 
    Tranmere
    Stoke
    Port Vale
    Peterborough
    Southampton
    Grimsby
    Gillingham
    Crewe

No redeeming features with the possible exception of Middlesborough because of Ironopolis but that's outweighed by the milk bottle aerial bombardment at Ayresome.
    The pub opposite the away turnstiles at Tranmere is great. Not many places you can leave the pub after 3pm and still see kickoff.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Toolbox
    Shithurst
    Loftus Road
    Most away fans rate us as an away day. ... closest club to central London, one stop from London Bridge, walking distance from The Bermondsey Mile, numerous old traditional pubs nearby on the river, Tower Bridge just up the road, plenty of history. Ok, certain parts of the surrounding areas are a bit of a shithole but away fans don’t have any reason to wander around those. 

Sounds great, you forgot a couple of things.
    Having to dodge spanners and being kept in after the game.
    ...and being brutalised by the Old Bill on horses in that nightmare alley on way back to South Bermondsey station...
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Middlesborough
    Luton 
    Tranmere
    Stoke
    Port Vale
    Peterborough
    Southampton
    Grimsby
    Gillingham
    Crewe

The pub opposite the away turnstiles at Tranmere is great. Not many places you can leave the pub after 3pm and still see kickoff.
    Jonjo turning up in the away end. Birkenhead such a dump that I'm still struggling to strike it from the list.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Middlesborough
    Luton 
    Tranmere
    Stoke
    Port Vale
    Peterborough
    Southampton
    Grimsby
    Gillingham
    Crewe

It's a bit of a hike from the station, and through what couldn't be described as an upmarket area! Always a laugh to sing 'your stands too big for you' rather than your ground (Gresty Road very much the same, another shithole)).
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Toolbox
    Shithurst
    Loftus Road

I’d say it has a lot more going for it than Charlton, which is set in a pretty soulless area, like a big industrial/trading estate. Not the greatest to get to either. 

Can't disagree with you regarding the location - must be great for the up t'north fans seeing a bit of that there London.

Don't think it holds as much attraction for other south Londoners though, and being locked in for an hour in the pissing rain takes a bit of the shine off it. Also, it's nowhere near as good an atmosphere as the Old Den (I'm pretty sure you'll agree with that).
    I don’t think there’s an all seater stadium in the country that beats it’s terraced predecessor for atmosphere. 
    As far as all seaters go though our atmosphere is usually pretty good. Obviously a lot of it can depend on the occasion, the opposition and what’s happening on the pitch. But if we wanted an atmosphere that was good all the time we’d have to orchestrate it, like those stripey pricks down the road and I don’t think anyone at Millwall would want that. We’d rather suffer the odd ‘flat’ game if it means the atmosphere remains sporadic and organic, rather than plastic. 
  • Options
    P.s. learnt something about the centre point of London. Always thought it was Charing Cross but happy to stand corrected 👍
  • Options
    P.s. learnt something about the centre point of London. Always thought it was Charing Cross but happy to stand corrected 👍
    as did I ...  also thought the same as you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    Middlesborough
    Luton 
    Tranmere
    Stoke
    Port Vale
    Peterborough
    Southampton
    Grimsby
    Gillingham
    Crewe

Jonjo turning up in the away end. Birkenhead such a dump that I'm still struggling to strike it from the list.
    He did indeed. I was sat a few rows from him. I think he was with Nathan Eccleston who we'd had on loan from Liverpool  the season before. Was greet to see them both there. Have just looked Eccleston up and his 20 odd games for us were more than he made for any other club. He's now at Nuneaton in the National League North 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Middlesborough
    Luton 
    Tranmere
    Stoke
    Port Vale
    Peterborough
    Southampton
    Grimsby
    Gillingham
    Crewe

He did indeed. I was sat a few rows from him. I think he was with Nathan Eccleston who we'd had on loan from Liverpool  the season before. Was greet to see them both there. Have just looked Eccleston up and his 20 odd games for us were more than he made for any other club. He's now at Nuneaton in the National League North 
    I'm quite shocked  by that. It does show that you have to be slightly wary about getting too excited about a loan from a top PL side. You could be getting the superstar of the future or you could be getting a bang average player who happens to be in the academy system of a big club (who can afford to  have lots of dead wood)
  • Options
    Scunthorpe is as soulless as it gets. Built in the 1980’s in the middle of a retail park, it was one of the first of the “new” grounds. It makes you wonder how bad their previous stadium must have been. Bad sight lines and all the atmosphere of a nursing home. You half wish that the locals would attack you with broken bottles just to raise the excitement level a bit.

• Options
    Mametz said:
    Scunthorpe is as soulless as it gets. Built in the 1980’s in the middle of a retail park, it was one of the first of the “new” grounds. It makes you wonder how bad their previous stadium must have been. Bad sight lines and all the atmosphere of a nursing home. You half wish that the locals would attack you with broken bottles just to raise the excitement level a bit.

Their previous ground was the Old Show Ground in the centre of Scunthorpe, which is a supermarket now - their old ground was the first in the country to have a cantilevered stand

Their new ground is indeed awful - no character at all 
  • Options
    Stoke, bloody horrible place.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Any stadium placed in or at the arse end of a retail park or remote fields like ;
    Derby , Colchester,  Stoke , Scunthorpe, Doncaster  , Wycombe Wanderers .

Brighton because it is in the coldest dampers place in Britain and close to a railway station that takes ages to get to with few trains.

West Ham...what a place to try to get in an out of. Bloody awful experience. 

When I was looking at Uni’s in the early 90’s, part of Sussex Uni’s “pitch” was that it was the sunniest university in the UK. The Uni is very close to Amex, so not sure Brighton can be the coldest / dampest...

I should add that there may be Polytechnics with better weather, but they don’t really count.
  • Options
    I usually drive to away games & it's the parking that is the problem for me, especially as over the years more restrictions have come into place as to where you can or can not park. Last season I signed up to some car parking app which was great & parked very easily & much cheaper than normal. 

Worst to get to -  Hull, Lincoln & Grimsby. All at the arsehole to nowhere & you drive what seems like miles & miles.

Once stayed in Bootle for game with Liverpool. Train in & we thought we would walk back to the City afterwards for food & beer. Got completely lost & spent an hour walking around deserted streets of what (I'm told) is the best place in the world.

Luton for the walk through peoples gardens.

Colchester for the pisstake of having to pay £6 to park opposite their ground for a pre-season game 2 years ago. Had to park there (I thought) as its miles from the town centre & surrounding roads are all double yellows. Little did I know that people had parked in the Macdonalds on the other side of the A12 & walked10 mins to the ground.

The Hull stadium is in the city, you can walk it from the train station. Three hour drive from Charlton, easier than Blackpool.
    The KCOM is actually closer to the city centre/train station than Boothferry.
  • Options
    palace isnt great to be fair. Hard to get to, even if your from SEL. Wooden seats, thornton heath etc. 🤢
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Toolbox
    Shithurst
    Loftus Road

‘MOST away fans rate us as an away day’ .. Well that’s not true. I guess if you go on enough other teams forums and spread your weird message, maybe some might start to believe you 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    I usually drive to away games & it's the parking that is the problem for me, especially as over the years more restrictions have come into place as to where you can or can not park. Last season I signed up to some car parking app which was great & parked very easily & much cheaper than normal. 

Worst to get to -  Hull, Lincoln & Grimsby. All at the arsehole to nowhere & you drive what seems like miles & miles.

Once stayed in Bootle for game with Liverpool. Train in & we thought we would walk back to the City afterwards for food & beer. Got completely lost & spent an hour walking around deserted streets of what (I'm told) is the best place in the world.

Luton for the walk through peoples gardens.

Colchester for the pisstake of having to pay £6 to park opposite their ground for a pre-season game 2 years ago. Had to park there (I thought) as its miles from the town centre & surrounding roads are all double yellows. Little did I know that people had parked in the Macdonalds on the other side of the A12 & walked10 mins to the ground.

The Hull stadium is in the city, you can walk it from the train station. Three hour drive from Charlton, easier than Blackpool.
    The KCOM is actually closer to the city centre/train station than Boothferry.
    Of the "new" stadiums built post Taylor (I've probably forgotten a few)

Cardiff, Hull, Leicester are dull stadiums but well located. 
    Huddersfield is well located
    Bolton and Brighton are remote but at least have a train service
    Wigan, Doncaster, Shrewsbury, Derby and MKD are dull grounds in dull locations, but not a horrendous walk. MKD probably has the best stadium and worst atmosphere due to its emptyness!
    Sunderland has a rather cutoff away section, but well located
    Stoke, Reading, Oxford and Colchester are poorly located for anything other than "drive to the game then drive home". Oxford does have compensations with its pubs though
    Wycombe is a nice little ground but horribly located for driving or the train, though I found a decent parking space last time