Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst away destinations

Comments

• Options
    Highfield Rd was crap as an away fan on a par with The Dell which was quirky to say the least. Travel wise Hull and Grimsby for some reason feel like they are twice as far as they are in reality. Booth ferry Park was a proper old school stadium though. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    AFC Wimbledon at that tin-pot little ground in the middle of nowhere between Norbiton and New Malden.  Just a load of tyre warehouses and dodgy council estates.  When the wind was from the south you got a revolting stench wafting over from the sewage works next to the Hogsmill River. AND we always lost there.  Shyte.
    Agree with much of that! We did win there in 1984-85....3-1 Hales Flanagan Moore (I think) 
    @Simonsen - Are you sure Wimbledon weren't still at Plough Lane in 84-85? I'm talking about Kingstonian's old ground, at Kingsmeadow.

Sorry....I was talking about Plough Lane. Similar nondescript area. All electric pylons, industrial units and barely a pub to be seen. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:
    AFC Wimbledon at that tin-pot little ground in the middle of nowhere between Norbiton and New Malden.  Just a load of tyre warehouses and dodgy council estates.  When the wind was from the south you got a revolting stench wafting over from the sewage works next to the Hogsmill River. AND we always lost there.  Shyte.
    Agree with much of that! We did win there in 1984-85....3-1 Hales Flanagan Moore (I think) 
    @Simonsen - Are you sure Wimbledon weren't still at Plough Lane in 84-85? I'm talking about Kingstonian's old ground, at Kingsmeadow.

Sorry....I was talking about Plough Lane. Similar nondescript area. All electric pylons, industrial units and barely a pub to be seen. 
    Prince of Wales, Youngs pub wasn’t too far from there, Nosher Powell former  heavyweight boxer and stunt man used to be the governor and son Greg carried on in his Dads footsteps as a stunt man. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Luton have been trying to get a new ground for years. Each time it falls through. Last attempt was for spare land in the middle of town. But it has stalled again. So they are stuck in their ground.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:

@Simonsen - Spot-on. Went there by train in mid-80s, when the rail company had a fad for fixing huge signs on the platforms: 'Welcome to...'  In the case of Plough Lane, it was Haydons Road.  You are indeed welcome to it.  
  • Options
    Toolbox
    Shithurst
    Loftus Road
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Highfield Rd was crap as an away fan on a par with The Dell which was quirky to say the least. Travel wise Hull and Grimsby for some reason feel like they are twice as far as they are in reality. Booth ferry Park was a proper old school stadium though. 
    Yes, copped Boothferry Park in Hull, 1980-81 (won 2-0); goods trains on embankment at side, and special station open match-days only. Old-school northern ground.
  • Options
    Colchester is shyte......no facilities outside the ground (other than one stall) as its built on a trading estate about a mile out of town I think.....no pubs or eateries anywhere in sight, so you are left with buying any refreshments inside the stadium.
    Top dollar and pretty ‘meh’ nothing to write home about products as I remember.😤😤😤
  • Options
    Another vote for Loftus Road on legroom grounds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got a particular fondness for Luton, even though it's a crap hole, as it's the earliest away game that I can remember my dad taking me to in 1971. A 2-1 win on my birthday, with two Keith Peacock goals, helped it to be a memorable day.
    Barnsley away in 1999, I think, sticks in the memory due to being so bloody cold. We stayed in the pub longer than most and when we got into the ground the only seats available were single seats next to the webbing that covers the seats between home and away fans. It felt so high, looking above the opposite stand into icy Yorkshire. I've never felt so cold at a match. 
  • Options
    Luton is king of the grotty grounds, without the saving grace of being in a great area for pubs etc

Stoke, Reading, Colchester and Coventry (if they ever go back) are all kings of the soulless dull out of town experience
  • Options
    QPR isn't that bad, it just depends upon where exactly you are.
    I was quite happy where I was to see the Phil Chappel header in the 4-2 win. 
  • Options
    Loftus Road is at least a great location, so many places to go

And yes I was at the 4-2 though can't remember anything about it!
  • Options

Lots of pubs to choose from.
    We must have been directly behind the goal, in the 4-2 win, as I remember the seas opening and Phil Chappel powering through to score the header. 

• Options

Lots of pubs to choose from.
    We must have been directly behind the goal, in the 4-2 win, as I remember the seas opening and Phil Chappel powering through to score the header. 

I sat in the Ellerslie Rd Stand for that one. A few Sunday's earlier I'd top-edged a cricket ball into my eye. This was my first game since the patch was removed and everything looked a bit yellow....pitch, ball, Mark Bowen ..everything! (vision corrected itself after a few months). 

Great game though! 
  • Options
    I hate the rusty den but I like going there as it reminds me how much better off I am (non financially) than 10,000 other south London folk
  • Options
    I hate the rusty den but I like going there as it reminds me how much better off I am (non financially) than 10,000 other south London folk
    I know what you mean, it’s like taking part in a channel 5 documentary.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Toolbox
    Shithurst
    Loftus Road
    Most away fans rate us as an away day. ... closest club to central London, one stop from London Bridge, walking distance from The Bermondsey Mile, numerous old traditional pubs nearby on the river, Tower Bridge just up the road, plenty of history. Ok, certain parts of the surrounding areas are a bit of a shithole but away fans don’t have any reason to wander around those. 

I’d say it has a lot more going for it than Charlton, which is set in a pretty soulless area, like a big industrial/trading estate. Not the greatest to get to either. 

Greenwich is nice though, I’ll give you that. Love it there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Solidgone said:
    QPR - absolutely shyte hole. I’ve been in both away tiers and in the home area along the sides. Shit view in cramped seating. 
    Only time it was okay was when we shared the terraces behind the goal. 

And selhurst. kharsi 
    Modelled on the Subbuteo table football game stadium. Their fans don’t like that quoted at them, well the one I regularly mention it to certainly doesn’t 😈.
    Subbuteo, ho ho ho ho

as the song used to go....
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Toolbox
    Shithurst
    Loftus Road
    Most away fans rate us as an away day. ... closest club to central London, one stop from London Bridge, walking distance from The Bermondsey Mile, numerous old traditional pubs nearby on the river, Tower Bridge just up the road, plenty of history. Ok, certain parts of the surrounding areas are a bit of a shithole but away fans don’t have any reason to wander around those. 

Sounds great, you forgot a couple of things.
    Having to dodge spanners and being kept in after the game.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Toolbox
    Shithurst
    Loftus Road

Sounds great, you forgot a couple of things.
    Having to dodge spanners and being kept in after the game.
    Dodge spammers? You have your own walkway in to the away end these days! 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Toolbox
    Shithurst
    Loftus Road

I’d say it has a lot more going for it than Charlton, which is set in a pretty soulless area, like a big industrial/trading estate. Not the greatest to get to either. 

You wouldn't expect an anorak to let that go unchallenged....

From the statue of Charles I in Trafalgar Square (the point at which all distances to London are measured) the centre spot of the The Toolbox is 3.63 miles, behind both Stamford Bridge (3.26 miles) and The Emirates (3.41 miles). 
    But the centre of London is classed as Charing Cross, which makes us the closest. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    We won there in 2018-19 too. 
  • Options
    Repeating what I said on another thread: 

One of my fave things about the Valley is its a modern(ish) stadium in a traditional football ground location. You walk down a row of terraced houses and real places people live in to get to the ground. 

Its sad to me that a lot of kids who support teams with new stadiums will only ever know a matchday "experience" of going to a bland industrial estrate with a stadium attached.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Toolbox
    Shithurst
    Loftus Road

You wouldn't expect an anorak to let that go unchallenged....

From the statue of Charles I in Trafalgar Square (the point at which all distances to London are measured) the centre spot of the The Toolbox is 3.63 miles, behind both Stamford Bridge (3.26 miles) and The Emirates (3.41 miles). 
    But the centre of London is classed as Charing Cross, which makes us the closest. 
    It's not, but even if it were, the centre spot at The Toolbox is 3.59 miles from the cross outside Charing Cross Station, The Emirates is 3.31 miles and Stamford Bridge is 3.39 miles.