Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst away destinations

Comments

• Options
    Selhurst Park... Rivalry aside it really is a shithole of an away end
  • Options
    Swindon is one depressing place. That shit section they give the away fans in the corner is worse than being in the open end. 
  • Options
    Oxford's newish 3 stand ground is just wrong .
  • Options
    Selhurst Park 

Close the thread
    Was an old Division 3 South ground up until the old national Divisions three and four were created in the late 50’s and remained so with a poxy mud bank at the now Sainsbury’s end. It was still the same in the Jan 69 cup replay when we stood / slid on it to witness a Ray Tracey 25 yard thunderbolt just under the crossbar for 2-0 and goodnight Palarse 😈.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Stoke.
    Yeh the old Victoria Ground was most unwelcoming remember pulling up there in the supporters coach midweek about 25 years ago and thinking a bomb had hit the place and flattened everything. Best described as derelict and grim.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Another vote for Luton.
    And another, poxy hovel! 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Ayresome park was something to behold, especially when it was snowing........
    With bottles coming over the terraced housing rooves to greet you upon arrival.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another vote for MK Dons. Soulless stadium in the middle of a retail park. Such a weird atmosphere.

Honorable mention goes to Millwall, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    Stevenage and Scunthorpe - awful grounds.

Millwall - plain depressing.
  • Options
    I love Luton, one of a kind, old school ground.  It's a dump but that's it's charm.  Squeezed in behind the terrace houses.

I love the old grounds, they have all got their own uniqueness to them.

The modern flat pack stadiums are the worst, the cheaper versions are dreadful like The Den.  Colchester play at a boring flat pack stadium surrounded by pig farms.

I know I will get laughed at but I went to the new Spurs ground and inside it felt like Heathrow ffs, glass elevators, non-descript burger places selling rip off food and a bunch of wanker tourists looking lost, tired and like they were simply passing through to get somewhere better (and, before you ask, I was in the Spurs end).

Give me Luton, Oldham, Barnsley, Wednesday etc any day of the week.

With you all the way about old school grounds having their own identities. These days you could be in a ground and not really be able to tell where you are such is the identikit nature of ‘progress’. I guess most of us on here have been fortunate to experience the old days when you knew you were at Filbert Street or Boothferry Park or Roker Park etc such were their uniqueness. Close to home I have the experience of York City moving to a new stadium. It’s out of town surrounded by retail parks where I guess you can get a coffee from Costa, some crisps from the M&S food hall but it appears soulless when you compare it to Bootham Crescent. Our memories of a day out at the football will be distinctly different to those of the younger generations that’s for sure.
    I sadly missed most of the big old grounds as rarely went away until our first season down in L1 8 years or so ago.  I suddenly went to about 15 away games that season and really enjoyed it.  I hope I get to take my lad to a stadium with a terrace soon.

• Options
    There are so many shit ones now with all the new grounds in bland locations.

Back in the day, I only really disliked Luton and when they put seats in there, it made a shit experience even shitter. 
  • Options
    Burnley, Middlesbrough, Blackburn, Stoke, Birmingham, Barnsley, Hull, Milton Keynes, Burton, Walsall, Oldham and Stevenage.
  • Options
    AFC Wimbledon at that tin-pot little ground in the middle of nowhere between Norbiton and New Malden.  Just a load of tyre warehouses and dodgy council estates.  When the wind was from the south you got a revolting stench wafting over from the sewage works next to the Hogsmill River. AND we always lost there.  Shyte.
    Agree with much of that! We did win there in 1984-85....3-1 Hales Flanagan Moore (I think) 
  • Options
    Stevenage was pretty depressing. the fact we were in the same league as them was bad enough. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Yeovil for me. Train station that is neither near the ground or the town centre. Once you get to the town centre it has no decent pubs. Getting from the town centre to the ground is another hassle.  Only open part of the ground is the away end
    Agree with all this.
    Dull is the best I can say about this place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vetch Field was a dump as well

And Ninian Park
    The locals are a friendly bunch though.
  • Options
    Stevenage was pretty depressing. the fact we were in the same league as them was bad enough. 
    The Charlton fans in front of me at the game started fighting each other - about as entertaining as the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    QPR - absolutely shyte hole. I’ve been in both away tiers and in the home area along the sides. Shit view in cramped seating. 
    Only time it was okay was when we shared the terraces behind the goal. 

And selhurst. kharsi 
  • Options
    I'm with those who like the older grounds, the ones with pointless PA systems, that smell of urine, fried onions and cigarette smoke mixed in with a twist of deep heat. Thats what football smells like to me 

Hate the new out of town grounds, all about capturing 'consumers' as a captive audience to gorgeous themselves on shit food and overpriced shit beer sold inside the ground. 

As much as I disliked being in the away end at Fratton Park without a roof, in the wind and rain I like the ground. Luton is the same, no doubt about it the place is a shithole but it will be sad when it goes. I loved Priestfields before they tore the old Rainham end down. I used to go there a lot as a kid when we were away, I remember one game in early January it being savagely cold so much so that the water in the only shitter had frozen solid. It was the unofficial ladies toilet for the singular weird female who would attend games there but that didn't stop someone doing a shit in it I guess in an effort to help melt the ice. Didt work it sat atop the second best ice rink in gillingham that day

Man Citys old ground was great, also liked layer Road, I love roots Hall, Griffin Park is one I'm not so keen on for the same reason I dont like Loftus Road, can't see fuck all and it feels very claustrophobic, not in a cosy way. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    The Old Den was an experience, for a variety of reasons.

They did a nice line in fencing you wouldn't see elsewhere.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Ayresome Park

was about 16 and went on my own. 
    Only time I got coach to an away game. 

Walkman run out of batteries before Dartford Tunnel. 
    Drew 0-0 freezing cold and had golf balls thrown at us in the ground. 
    Hopefully you got a shout of ‘FORE’ 😄.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    AFC Wimbledon at that tin-pot little ground in the middle of nowhere between Norbiton and New Malden.  Just a load of tyre warehouses and dodgy council estates.  When the wind was from the south you got a revolting stench wafting over from the sewage works next to the Hogsmill River. AND we always lost there.  Shyte.
    Agree with much of that! We did win there in 1984-85....3-1 Hales Flanagan Moore (I think) 
    @Simonsen - Are you sure Wimbledon weren't still at Plough Lane in 84-85? I'm talking about Kingstonian's old ground, at Kingsmeadow.