Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

British savoury foods

Comments

• Options
    Everything in the god tier for me, apart from Chicken tikka masala. Pie and mash floats above them all, though.
  • Options
    Roast dinner is only as good as the stock on it and the meat - the rest of it without is just bland
  • Options
    Roast dinner is only as good as the stock on it and the meat - the rest of it without is just bland
    Controversial. Nothing on a roast dinner should be bland if it's prepared, cooked and seasoned properly.
  • Options
    Roast potatoes are top notch.
  • Options
    Everything in the god tier for me, apart from Chicken tikka masala. Pie and mash floats above them all, though.
    That's a lot of liquor  :D
  • Options
    I don't get a Ploughman's.

Surely it's just a ham, cheese and pickle sandwich that they can't be arsed to put together for you and you have to do it yourself?

• Options
    That's a lot of liquor  :D
    Plenty of chilli vinegar and white pepper.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Crumpets, a bit of butter them peanut butter (crunchy not smooth) is pretty close to perfection when you are in the right mood.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scotch egg with black pudding inner coating and a runny egg. heaven. 

You're not wrong.
  • Options
    Scotch eggs are a bit like cornish pasties - most are a bit dry and rubbish, but a good one (and I agree on the runny yolk) is top notch.
  • Options
    Scotch eggs are a bit like cornish pasties - most are a bit dry and rubbish, but a good one (and I agree on the runny yolk) is top notch.
    yeah, i made the mistake of having a Ginsters Cornish Pasty yesterday. Dry and hardly any filling. Get it from a proper bakery (preferably in Cornwall) and it can be divine. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Never trust something calling itself a pie, that doesn't have pastry. Cottage and Shepards Potato Efforts need taking down a peg or two for their sheer insolence.  
    The early and correct way to cook these pies is to also put mashed potato on the bottom and sides of the pie dish, before putting the filling in and covering with more potato :)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

No, just no!

I have to leave the room when my missus is eating it - and if both the boys are around then all three of them are tucking in.

Don't get me wrong - I love pie, just not that insipid, soggy, tasteless Manzes rubbish. Food of the Devil!
    Even your own family disagrees with you.

Manzes is the business. As for soggy, don't listen to those that say to flip the pies over. Always crusty side up. Fork, spoon and a glass of sarsaparilla ;)

Doesn't make them right!

Do you put vinegar on it? They do. That's just wrong on every level!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Never trust something calling itself a pie, that doesn't have pastry. Cottage and Shepards Potato Efforts need taking down a peg or two for their sheer insolence.  
    Don't get me started on pies with just pastry on top.

Just a stew trying to pass itself off as a pie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Completely agree - I think a roast dinner is massively overrated - I would have curry over a roast all day long
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

No, just no!

I have to leave the room when my missus is eating it - and if both the boys are around then all three of them are tucking in.

Don't get me wrong - I love pie, just not that insipid, soggy, tasteless Manzes rubbish. Food of the Devil!
    Even your own family disagrees with you.

Manzes is the business. As for soggy, don't listen to those that say to flip the pies over. Always crusty side up. Fork, spoon and a glass of sarsaparilla ;)

Doesn't make them right!

Do you put vinegar on it? They do. That's just wrong on every level!
    Absolutely - pie, mash & liquor is bloody awful - hyped up East End nonsense
  • Options
    I'm very much prepared to take you both on.
  • Options
    I will also add jellied eels into the mix - horrific stuff
    I don't care if you are a lord or a lady, you've overstepped the mark by some distance. I also like jellied eels but would go for the stewed variety with pie and mash.

I'm just a very simple creature with both simple and extravagant tastes.

To be fair, I understand why people don't like eels. I'll never understand how anyone dislikes pie and mash.

:)
  • Options
    I don't care if you are a lord or a lady, you've overstepped the mark by some distance. I also like jellied eels but would go for the stewed variety with pie and mash.

To be fair, I understand why people don't like eels. I'll never understand how anyone dislikes pie and mash.

I imagine then that my thoughts on Cockles, Whelks etc etc will raise your temperature further .......
  • Options

I imagine then that my thoughts on Cockles, Whelks etc etc will raise your temperature further .......
    I must admit that I do pay my local sea-food man a visit a few times a month.

Also very partial to a drive to Leigh-on-Sea and, every now and again, a trip to Aldeburgh.
  • Options
    F*** me, that’s an uninspiringly bland list of foods. No wonder other nations mock our culinary delights.
    Careful. Not sure 'mock' is the right word to use as it evokes anti-British nationalism in those from other shores.