Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

British savoury foods

Comments

• Options
    I tend to eat mostly foreign food and prefer anything with a sauce, it is much easier when you are a veggie to.

Did anybody else have bacon sandwiches (a bacon banjo) with vinegar. Everything we ate in our house included vinegar or a pickle, possibly because my mum was  a terrible cook.
  • Options
    Grew up on most of that food, but veered away from traditional British food when I was introduced to international cuisine and later when I became a chef.
    I'd probably roughly agree with that list - certainly for me Sunday Roast, Fish n Chips and Full English Breakfast are untouchable.
    I like Shepherds Pie and a decent  Chicken Pie, shortcrust or puff pastry.
    I like a Kipper occasionally and a pasty when I am in Cornwall.
    The rest I rarely touch these days.
    As somebody born near the beginning of the 50's it amuses me to see Chicken Tikka Masala on the list, as I it still feels to me like a latent addition to the British diet (ie post 1960's)- certainly it wasn't in contemporary editions of Mrs. Beeton's or Good Housekeeping cookbooks.
    But, yes, a worthy inclusion now, but if so why no Chicken Korma or the chain-smoker lager lout favourites like Madras or Vindaloo?
    Kidneys I stopped eating the moment I first had to prepare them fresh. I just wondered why am I eating a sack of sheep piss.
    Any non-Scot's person who eats Haggis is just a look-at-me show off. Same with any non-Northern bastard who eats black pudding.  ;)
    But, dear me, no fish except with chips. Wouldn't do me at all

So true.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    T_C_E said:
    I can't believe what I'm reading here, Pie and Mash is a delicious, Cockles and Whelks and a Rollmop with a beer or two are fantastic. Im off now to get a shell suit and a criminal record so I can get a spanners season ticket. ;) 

Don’t forget the flat cap 😉

That's another reason why I dislike soggy pie and mash - Manzes in Long Lane full of flat caps on a matchday. That said, my two often go in there on a Charlton match day if they travel down without me and have always had good banter with the inmates when they proudly reveal red rather than blue!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    bobmunro said:
    comparing pie mash pies to ‘normal’ pies can’t be done. They’re two different meals. It’s like comparing Chinese to Indian. 

Normal pies are lovely but they’re laden with gravy and lumps of meat and the pastry they come in means they wouldn’t go with liquor or vinegar. You have them with gravy and veg. 

Pie mash pies are supposed to be soggy. They’re made from water dough and suet. Individually the ingredients of pie mash could be seen by some as  a bit bland, I understand that, but all mixed together, with lashings of vinegar and white pepper.... they are a taste sensation. 

I could eat it every day of the week. And have done. 

So you admit soggy and bland only made a 'taste sensation' (yes right) by adding lashings of vinegar and white pepper. Surely a bowl of vinegar and white pepper alone would create the same illusion of proper food?

The phrase 'Hoisted by his own petard' springs to mind!

PS: just been out to the garage and checked in the freezer - full of Manzes pies and tubs of liquor. I was very nearly ill on the spot!
    But a ‘normal pie’ would be bland without the gravy in it. As would cottage pie and other things. A chicken tikka masala would be pretty bland without the masala sauce. The vinegar and white pepper are an integral part of the meal and mixed with all the other ingredients make it what it is. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    comparing pie mash pies to ‘normal’ pies can’t be done. They’re two different meals. It’s like comparing Chinese to Indian. 

Normal pies are lovely but they’re laden with gravy and lumps of meat and the pastry they come in means they wouldn’t go with liquor or vinegar. You have them with gravy and veg. 

Pie mash pies are supposed to be soggy. They’re made from water dough and suet. Individually the ingredients of pie mash could be seen by some as  a bit bland, I understand that, but all mixed together, with lashings of vinegar and white pepper.... they are a taste sensation. 

So you admit soggy and bland only made a 'taste sensation' (yes right) by adding lashings of vinegar and white pepper. Surely a bowl of vinegar and white pepper alone would create the same illusion of proper food?

PS: just been out to the garage and checked in the freezer - full of Manzes pies and tubs of liquor. I was very nearly ill on the spot!
    But a ‘normal pie’ would be bland without the gravy in it. As would cottage pie and other things. A tikka masala would be pretty bland without the masala. The vinegar and white are an integral part of the meal and mixed with all the other ingredients make it what it is. 

I consider gravy and/or masala sauce as an integral part of the dish - not condiments!!

Still I accept (must stop using the word 'admit') that it takes all sorts - particularly those who appreciate good food and those that don't.

Seriously, I've always thought there was a degree of Emperor's new clothes about pie and mash with south Londoners. 'You're not a proper saarf lundanner if you don't like pie and mash'.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

But a ‘normal pie’ would be bland without the gravy in it. As would cottage pie and other things. A tikka masala would be pretty bland without the masala. The vinegar and white are an integral part of the meal and mixed with all the other ingredients make it what it is. 

I consider gravy and/or masala sauce as an integral part of the dish - not condiments!!

Still I accept (must stop using the word 'admit') that it takes all sorts - particularly those who appreciate good food and those that don't.

Seriously, I've always thought there was a degree of Emperor's new clothes about pie and mash with south Londoners. 'You're not a proper saarf lundanner if you don't like pie and mash'.
    @MillwallFan I'll crouch behind him and you can push him over.

Ganging up on me eh?

Do you really want to see a grown man cry?
  • Options
    All the things on that list are God tier, when done well, and quickly fall down when they are done OK. 

All of them are aweful when done badly. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

@MillwallFan I'll crouch behind him and you can push him over.

Ganging up on me eh?

Do you really want to see a grown man cry?
    The victim card won't work here. The real victim is true British cuisine-culture and heritage.

Also, we didn't put these spandex leotards on for nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Ok they are maybe a bad example. Think maybe crispy aromatic duck?. Have that without hoisin sauce and it’s bland. Add the hoisin and it’s a different meal. How bland are fish and chip chips without a good load of salt and vinegar added? Sometimes the condiment is an integral part of the meal. 

I was eating pie mash before I could walk, as were my parents and my kids. Always loved it, as they do,  never ate it to try and be more ‘south London’ in any way 😁

you’re obviously too good for pie mash though 😉
  • Options
    Don't know if this is getting a bit too East London for our resident Spanners but I love a good mature and vinegar soaked wally as much as hate those crappy little French cornichons. 
  • Options
    Don't know if this is getting a bit too East London for our resident Spanners but I love a good mature and vinegar soaked wally as much as hate those crappy little French cornichons. 
    Add a pickled egg to that as well.
  • Options
    Please can you all stop slagging off Pie & Mash. I can't believe I will have to side with the spanners.

I feel so very torn about this. 
  • Options
    We seem to be getting bogged down in a stodgy pie and mash debate, so I think I will throw a grenade into the conversation that is guaranteed to upset @Big_Bad_World

Gentlemen I give you the appalling side dish known as Mushy Peas - absolutely disgusting - looks like sick, has the texture of sick, and tastes like it

Can you be quick enough BBW to pick it up and throw it back before it explodes ....
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    It makes me realise how neutral I am able to British food. Most of the things there are OK now and again. Indeed, pie, chips and beans or fish and chips, for example is great every so often, but I wouldn't want seven main meals each week from that lot. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Taken just before adding a wee bit more chilli vinegar and pepper. Nothing soggy about it 😋😋😋😋
    Mash looks alright.  Apart from that, nah - burnt top to the pie, too much liquid (with no flavour), and the insides will be disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, love a pie, just not those ones.

Mate of mine had a pie van outside for his wedding catering, was absolutely superb, better than half the posh 'wedding breakfast' stuff you normally get.
  • Options
    We seem to be getting bogged down in a stodgy pie and mash debate, so I think I will throw a grenade into the conversation that is guaranteed to upset @Big_Bad_World

Gentlemen I give you the appalling side dish known as Mushy Peas - absolutely disgusting - looks like sick, has the texture of sick, and tastes like it

Can you be quick enough BBW to pick it up and throw it back before it explodes ....
    I think it's safe to say we're never going to be friends.

Mushy peas with fish and chips (not always) is a very sound and agreeable side to the meal, along with tartar sauce. Please tell me that you have tomato ketchup with yours so the final nail in this very fragile relationship can be firmly hammered in  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Taken just before adding a wee bit more chilli vinegar and pepper. Nothing soggy about it 😋😋😋😋
    If you put that on rate my plate you would pelters from the Plate Police 

The stuff in the middle looks like frog spawn - the alleged pie looks over burned - strange design with the mash 😉
  • Options
    Blimey, no wonder Millwall take the piss out of us!! :smiley:

• Options
    edited February 2021

Mushy peas with fish and chips (not always) is a very sound and agreeable side to the meal, along with tartar sauce. Please tell me that you have tomato ketchup with yours so the final nail in this very fragile relationship can be firmly hammered in  :D
    Well I will surprise you - the only condiments that go on my fish and chips are salt and vinegar - and I am partial to a pickled egg with my fish and chips

I can’t remember the last time I had tomato sauce - I more of a brown sauce man (has to be Daddies) - generally have brown sauce with a fry up
  • Options

Mash looks alright.  Apart from that, nah - burnt top to the pie, too much liquid (with no favour), and the insides will be disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, love a pie, just not those ones.

Mate of mine had a pie van outside for his wedding catering, was absolutely superb, better than half the posh 'wedding breakfast' stuff you normally get.
    Slight char to the top of the pies is needed. Too much and it would be acrid. The liquor is made with the stock from the cooking of the eels so far from having no flavour. Insides were sumptuous and worked perfectly with all the other ingredients on the plate  :)

There's a few decent mobile traders out and about these days and make you right that they tend to go down better than a pretentious offering with people at events.
  • Options

Exactly how I like my fish and chips. A side of mushy peas, salt and vinegar and a big dollop of tartar sauce. Tomato Ketchup on fish and chips is so wrong. My Missus has brown sauce with it. The heathen. 
  • Options

The stuff in the middle looks like frog spawn - the alleged pie looks over burned - strange design with the mash 😉
    Call yourself south London??? Maaaaag
  • Options

Well I will surprise you - the only condiments that go on my fish and chips are salt and vinegar - and I am partial to a pickled egg with my fish and chips

I can’t remember the last time I had tomato sauce - I more of a brown sauce man (has to Daddies) - generally on have sauce with a fry up
    There's hope for us yet :)
  • Options

Exactly how I like my fish and chips. A side of mushy peas, salt and vinegar and a big dollop of tartar sauce. Tomato Ketchup on fish and chips is so wrong. My Missus has brown sauce with it. The heathen. 
    Oi don't knock the brown sauce!
  • Options

Call yourself south London??? Maaaaag
    No - born and bred Dartford - can’t think of a traditional Kent dish though !!!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Everything in the god tier for me, apart from Chicken tikka masala. Pie and mash floats above them all, though.

No, just no!

I have to leave the room when my missus is eating it - and if both the boys are around then all three of them are tucking in.

Don't get me wrong - I love pie, just not that insipid, soggy, tasteless Manzes rubbish. Food of the Devil!
    Have to agree with Bob here.
    I'll eat it........but both the pie and the mash tastes of f**k all.

All of my mates and Mrs SA love it.

I'd rather have a chip shop pie any day.