Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

British savoury foods

Comments

• Options
    Nothing wrong with mushy peas with fish and chips. A bit northern like curry sauce but I like mushy peas.

And mayonnaise with chips which although Belgian is very nice. Unless @Live by the sword throws loads over your Kashmir jumper in St Trudin.

Of course smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels (pronounced "bie-gal" not "bay-gal" are above G_D tier
  • Options
    Oi!!!  Who has nicked by breakfast?
  • Options
    Apparently Gypsy Tart is a Kentish dish - they used to serve that up in my primary school - yuck yuck yuck 

And apparently there is a Kentish Rarebit, which uses cheese and apples ???
  • Options

Taken just before adding a wee bit more chilli vinegar and pepper. Nothing soggy about it 😋😋😋😋
    If you put that on rate my plate you would pelters from the Plate Police 

The stuff in the middle looks like frog spawn - the alleged pie looks over burned - strange design with the mash 😉
    Call yourself south London??? Maaaaag
    No - born and bred Dartford - can’t think of a traditional Kent dish though !!!
    Roasted hedgehog? 
    I set myself up for that one - very good
  • Options
    Apparently Gypsy Tart is a Kentish dish - they used to serve that up in my primary school - yuck yuck yuck 

I just think they've spelt it wrong.
  • Options
    We seem to be getting bogged down in a stodgy pie and mash debate, so I think I will throw a grenade into the conversation that is guaranteed to upset @Big_Bad_World

Gentlemen I give you the appalling side dish known as Mushy Peas - absolutely disgusting - looks like sick, has the texture of sick, and tastes like it

Can you be quick enough BBW to pick it up and throw it back before it explodes ....
    I think it's safe to say we're never going to be friends.

Mushy peas with fish and chips (not always) is a very sound and agreeable side to the meal, along with tartar sauce. Please tell me that you have tomato ketchup with yours so the final nail in this very fragile relationship can be firmly hammered in  :D

We have found common ground - you can call off the Makros mob and I'll call off mine!

Also, I would never have tomato ketchup with anything!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    We seem to be getting bogged down in a stodgy pie and mash debate, so I think I will throw a grenade into the conversation that is guaranteed to upset @Big_Bad_World

Gentlemen I give you the appalling side dish known as Mushy Peas - absolutely disgusting - looks like sick, has the texture of sick, and tastes like it

Can you be quick enough BBW to pick it up and throw it back before it explodes ....

Mushy peas with fish and chips (not always) is a very sound and agreeable side to the meal, along with tartar sauce. Please tell me that you have tomato ketchup with yours so the final nail in this very fragile relationship can be firmly hammered in  :D

We have found common ground - you can call off the Makros mob and I'll call off mine!

Hold on a minute, I’ve booked the catering already !!
  • Options

I'd literally never heard of that:

https://daisiesandpie.co.uk/kentish-rarebit-super-tasty-cheese-on-toast/
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Don't worry, Bob can afford it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beef Wellington lower tier?

• Options

I'd literally never heard of that:

https://daisiesandpie.co.uk/kentish-rarebit-super-tasty-cheese-on-toast/
    I’m not sure if I would like that or not - sounds a strange combo - will give it a go at the w/e

I’ve also found Appledore Chicken Pie which sounds rather nice judging by the ingredients 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    comparing pie mash pies to ‘normal’ pies can’t be done. They’re two different meals. It’s like comparing Chinese to Indian. 

Normal pies are lovely but they’re laden with gravy and lumps of meat and the pastry they come in means they wouldn’t go with liquor or vinegar. You have them with gravy and veg. 

Pie mash pies are supposed to be soggy. They’re made from water dough and suet. Individually the ingredients of pie mash could be seen by some as  a bit bland, I understand that, but all mixed together, with lashings of vinegar and white pepper.... they are a taste sensation. 

I could eat it every day of the week. And have done. 

So you admit soggy and bland only made a 'taste sensation' (yes right) by adding lashings of vinegar and white pepper. Surely a bowl of vinegar and white pepper alone would create the same illusion of proper food?

The phrase 'Hoisted by his own petard' springs to mind!

PS: just been out to the garage and checked in the freezer - full of Manzes pies and tubs of liquor. I was very nearly ill on the spot!
    But a ‘normal pie’ would be bland without the gravy in it. As would cottage pie and other things. A tikka masala would be pretty bland without the masala. The vinegar and white are an integral part of the meal and mixed with all the other ingredients make it what it is. 

I consider gravy and/or masala sauce as an integral part of the dish - not condiments!!

Still I accept (must stop using the word 'admit') that it takes all sorts - particularly those who appreciate good food and those that don't.

Seriously, I've always thought there was a degree of Emperor's new clothes about pie and mash with south Londoners. 'You're not a proper saarf lundanner if you don't like pie and mash'.
    Ok they are maybe a bad example. Think maybe crispy aromatic duck?. Have that without hoisin sauce and it’s bland. Add the hoisin and it’s a different meal. How bland are fish and chip chips without a good load of salt and vinegar added? Sometimes the condiment is an integral part of the meal. 

I was eating pie mash before I could walk, as were my parents and my kids. Always loved it, as they do,  never ate it to try and be more ‘south London’ in any way 😁

you’re obviously too good for pie mash though 😉

Not at all - I'm just a good old south London council house kid.

Typical simple meal for me would be foie gras followed by lobster ;-)

Honestly I just don't like the flavour and texture of pie and mash pies - I'll eat pretty much anything else.
  • Options
    Bacon sandwich is a bit plain for me. Throw an egg in there and I'm all over it. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Taken just before adding a wee bit more chilli vinegar and pepper. Nothing soggy about it 😋😋😋😋

The stuff in the middle looks like frog spawn - the alleged pie looks over burned - strange design with the mash 😉
    Gypsy Tart - a frequent option at school dinner. Pretty much pure sugar in pastry! 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    bobmunro said:

Yes I know - f*cking pie and mash!
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Gypsy Tart
    That is the first thing that springs to mind, and maybe Dover sole.
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Gypsy Tart
    Whitstable oysters 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Chunes said:
    Bacon sandwich is a bit plain for me. Throw an egg in there and I'm all over it. 

Thick cut unsmoked bacon (with the rind on, none of these medallion bollocks) on fresh doorstep thick white bloomer covered in lashings of butter so the hot bacon melts the butter into the bread. Heaven.

Nothing plain about that.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Chunes said:
    How can you not love a simple bacon sandwich?

Best thing in the world when hungover (well, apart from sleep, coffee, water and/or painkillers).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:

Best thing in the world when hungover (well, apart from sleep, coffee, water and/or painkillers).
    Not too keen myself, prefer a sausage sandwich with lots of mustard.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    comparing pie mash pies to ‘normal’ pies can’t be done. They’re two different meals. It’s like comparing Chinese to Indian. 

Normal pies are lovely but they’re laden with gravy and lumps of meat and the pastry they come in means they wouldn’t go with liquor or vinegar. You have them with gravy and veg. 

Pie mash pies are supposed to be soggy. They’re made from water dough and suet. Individually the ingredients of pie mash could be seen by some as  a bit bland, I understand that, but all mixed together, with lashings of vinegar and white pepper.... they are a taste sensation. 

So you admit soggy and bland only made a 'taste sensation' (yes right) by adding lashings of vinegar and white pepper. Surely a bowl of vinegar and white pepper alone would create the same illusion of proper food?

PS: just been out to the garage and checked in the freezer - full of Manzes pies and tubs of liquor. I was very nearly ill on the spot!

Then you wouldn't want to check the freezers in this house @BobMunro..........
    Duck, Venison, pheasant, partridge, grouse, rabbit, salmon............ you'd think @Henry Irving  lived here until you find the pigs heads. Then there's our freezer..........full of Icelands special offers
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Chunes said:

It's just a bit of a disappointment. A slither of salty meat with a bit of ketchup. Although Bob's description does sound appealing. 

I've recently learned that drinking coffee on a hangover turbocharges the shit feeling. I wish I learned it 15 years ago. Recommend giving abstaining a go, Neil. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    bobmunro said:

Then you wouldn't want to check the freezers in this house @BobMunro..........
    Duck, Venison, pheasant, partridge, grouse, rabbit, salmon............ you'd think @Henry Irving  lived here until you find the pigs heads. Then there's our freezer..........full of Icelands special offers

All good for me, Ray - apart from the pigs head.
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Wilma said:

Gypsy Tart
    Whitstable oysters 
    And Whitstable Brewery Oyster Stout, one of my absolute favourites.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

It's just a bit of a disappointment. A slither of salty meat with a bit of ketchup. Although Bob's description does sound appealing. 

I've recently learned that drinking coffee on a hangover turbocharges the shit feeling. I wish I learned it 15 years ago. Recommend giving abstaining a go, Neil. 
    To be honest I've forgotten what a hangover feels like after firstly having kids and secondly being in a lockdown!
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Chunes said:

Not too keen myself, prefer a sausage sandwich with lots of mustard.
    Food of the gods
  • Options
    Had an email from M&S about their cheese and marmite hot cross buns, chocolately hot cross buns and cheese and chilli hot cross buns.

Not sure if they sound delicious or disgusting, only one way to find out.....not by fighting but by giving them a go. 
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Gypsy Tart - a frequent option at school dinner. Pretty much pure sugar in pastry! 
    That's pretty much the problem I have.  I often have to ask Mrs cafcfan whether something is sweet or savoury, so a list like this is difficult for me. But even I think something consisting mostly of sugar is sweet?

Anyway, back to the list.  I spot an inconsistency.  Doesn't a full English, by definition, include black pudding?  But that's in the crap tier.  Surely that automatically relegates full English from the top tier?