Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

British savoury foods

Comments

• Options
    rananegra said:
    Not a fan of pie n mash but I can see why people like it, my question here is is it compulsory to like it if you're a Spanner?

Do we have any other Spanners on here who can weigh in on the subject? I'm off to check with West Ham to see what they reckon...
    You have just got yourself on BBW’s list as well now - the anti pie and mash battalion will soon be a regiment....
    I've got drones, mate  :D
    Been recruiting from some of the more repetitive threads on this message board?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Had an email from M&S about their cheese and marmite hot cross buns, chocolately hot cross buns and cheese and chilli hot cross buns.

Not sure if they sound delicious or disgusting, only one way to find out.....not by fighting but by giving them a go. 
    Chilli cheese ones are nice.  The salted caramel ones are the standout though.

Haven't had the marmite ones.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with mushy peas with fish and chips. A bit northern like curry sauce but I like mushy peas.

And mayonnaise with chips which although Belgian is very nice. Unless @Live by the sword throws loads over your Kashmir jumper in St Trudin.

Of course smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels (pronounced "bie-gal" not "bay-gal" are above G_D tier
    More Welsh isn't it?  Northerners go for gravy?

I like curry sauce with fish and chips.

Less so gravy.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with mushy peas with fish and chips. A bit northern like curry sauce but I like mushy peas.

And mayonnaise with chips which although Belgian is very nice. Unless @Live by the sword throws loads over your Kashmir jumper in St Trudin.

Of course smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels (pronounced "bie-gal" not "bay-gal" are above G_D tier
    Also a Kashmir jumper?

Like this one:

• Options
    Wilma said:

Taken just before adding a wee bit more chilli vinegar and pepper. Nothing soggy about it 😋😋😋😋
    If you put that on rate my plate you would pelters from the Plate Police 

The stuff in the middle looks like frog spawn - the alleged pie looks over burned - strange design with the mash 😉
    Call yourself south London??? Maaaaag
    No - born and bred Dartford - can’t think of a traditional Kent dish though !!!
    Gypsy Tart - a frequent option at school dinner. Pretty much pure sugar in pastry! 
    I quite like Gypsy Tart, you occasionally see it in the supermarket in store bakeries

Gypsy Tart makes you fart, apple crumble makes it rumble etc  ;)
  • Options

More Welsh isn't it?  Northerners go for gravy?

I like curry sauce with fish and chips.

Less so gravy.

I’d rather cut my cock off than put gravy on my chips. Salt and vinegar with a splosh of ketchup on the side for the occasional dip is all you need with chips.
  • Options
     conversation had on millwall life....

"i like pie n mash"
    "no, i like pie n mash"
    i like pie n mash with loadzer liquor"
    "i like pie n mash with loadzer of liquor an all"
    "yeah but i like it more"
    "not as much as i like it. i eat it outta of a flat cap"
    "you talk shit, i am all over pie n mash cos i is wall"
    "i is wall as well. all about the pie all about the mash and all about the liquor"
    "then were both wall"

"not too keen on it myself"

"you facking poncy middle class slaaaagggg"
    "you aint wall unless you like pie n mash with liquor"
    "next time you dare visit the den i'm gonna ram a whole plate of pie n mash down your facking throat"
    "nice one tel. miiiiillllll"

• Options

"i like pie n mash"
    "no, i like pie n mash"
    "i is wall as well. all about the pie all about the mash and all about the liquor"
    "then were both wall"

"next time you dare visit the den i'm gonna ram a whole plate of pie n mash down your facking throat"

Sounds about right but not enough  swearing
  • Options
    edited February 2021

"i like pie n mash"
    "no, i like pie n mash"
    "then were both wall"

Sounds about right but not enough  swearing
    Not sure they would use quotation marks either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    This thread made me so hungry I had to run off and start the Friday night curry* cooking and beer drinking early. Accompanied by punky music, I am pissed after two bottles of Dartmoor Bewery IPA. Such a cheap date these days.

*All authentically regional @Big_Bad_World

• Options
    I have an encyclopedia of London and in it the author states early that Londoners love strong tasting food and in my many travels I have never found any evidence that that is not true.
  • Options

Taken just before adding a wee bit more chilli vinegar and pepper. Nothing soggy about it 😋😋😋😋
    If you put that on rate my plate you would pelters from the Plate Police 

The stuff in the middle looks like frog spawn - the alleged pie looks over burned - strange design with the mash 😉
    You are so right. That looks like absolute filth - and not in a good way.  Them burnt offerings remind me of those overdone Portuguese custard tarts - turn the 'kin oven down!  Not sure what that squirt of diarrhoea is doing in the frog spawn either. Looks like a piece of concept art from Gilbert and George
  • Options

"i like pie n mash"
    "no, i like pie n mash"
    "then were both wall"

Have you been snooping on my conversations? 😠
  • Options
    Reminds me of a funny story - when my Dad met my Step Mum, after a month or so, she took him to meet her sister and her sister’s husband - my step mum’s family were initially very suspicious of my Dad, because he was 10 years older than her, was divorced and had a son (me) - they were also quite snooty, and as Dad had been brought up in a Council House, the thought he was ‘common’

My Step Mum’s sister had made lunch, and she was outlining what was for lunch and turned my Dad and said ‘David, this is quiche lorraine, but you will know it as cheese and bacon pie’

He wasn’t very impressed !!!
    I know I am a few pages behind, but can I just raise a glass to this beautiful gem... 

'they were quite snooty' 

- Lord Flashheart
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Reminds me of a funny story - when my Dad met my Step Mum, after a month or so, she took him to meet her sister and her sister’s husband - my step mum’s family were initially very suspicious of my Dad, because he was 10 years older than her, was divorced and had a son (me) - they were also quite snooty, and as Dad had been brought up in a Council House, the thought he was ‘common’

My Step Mum’s sister had made lunch, and she was outlining what was for lunch and turned my Dad and said ‘David, this is quiche lorraine, but you will know it as cheese and bacon pie’

I know I am a few pages behind, but can I just raise a glass to this beautiful gem... 

'they were quite snooty' 

- Lord Flashheart
    It was called egg and bacon tart or flan in my house. 
  • Options

Blimey he must really love mayo and chips if it caused him to do that!
  • Options

Then your step mother's sister isn't as posh as she'd like to think.
    Any self-respecting middle class foodie knows that traditional Quiche Lorraine contained no cheese, so what she had dished up was, infact, a cheese & bacon flan.
  • Options
    Salt or vinegar first on chips?
  • Options
    Apparently Gypsy Tart is a Kentish dish - they used to serve that up in my primary school - yuck yuck yuck 

And apparently there is a Kentish Rarebit, which uses cheese and apples ???
    Looked it up and there is. Thinly sliced eating apples, caramelised then mixed with grated cheese, put on toast and grilled. Sounds good to me.
    Especially if gypsy tart is the alternative, utter filth, never seen it outside a school canteen and hope I never do again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    Northerners, definitely Northerners. Yorkshire world be my guess.
  • Options
    Definitely, not convinced at all.

Like doner poutine.
  • Options

Like doner poutine.
    That’s two off the post lockdown dinner party invitation. 😉
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Like doner poutine.
    Feed it to the dogs mate!
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Like doner poutine.
    Feed it to the dogs mate!
    only if you agree to clear the garden the next day! 😂
  • Options
    Everyone kicking off on here like it's an official legitimate list, instead of some infographic some kid knocked together in his lunch hour.

Honestly, this place becomes more like Netmums every day.
  • Options
    Vinegar first then the salt will stay on the chips.

If salt first the vinegar will wash it off.

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Vinegar first then the salt will stay on the chips.

If salt first the vinegar will wash it off.

Ah but it washes it down the the chips below so you get a more even covering.