Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny cowley - wants to return to management

Comments

• Options
    The thing about the Cowley brothers (and I am not proposing them, or even the immediate sacking of Bowyer if Mr Sandgaard wants to keep him) is that they have had a series of jobs where they had to play the hand dealt, to deploy less than ideal resources, and not had money to throw about.
    In that context from absolutely humble beginnings they have had successful results, never mind the style of football. We were reminded big time yesterday and last Tuesday that a boring 1-0 win is infinitely better than a defeat.
    I would prefer the Cowley brothers than an Alan Pardew who would only promise success if he was able to throw money around.
    Right now we have a tricky disjointed squad that needs a reset. I would like to think Bowyer can do it, but very sadly we seem to be watching his decline and fall in slow motion.
  • Options
    He wouldn't jump ship now, but what about Paul Warne in the summer?

Twice got Rotherham promoted, has struggled to keep them in the Championship but won plaudits for how his team plays and would surely love to be in charge of a bigger, wealthier club
    Him and Ainsworth remind me a bit of Curbishley when he was Charlton Manager

Reckon it would take a lot (not just money) to persuade them to move
  • Options

Twice got Rotherham promoted, has struggled to keep them in the Championship but won plaudits for how his team plays and would surely love to be in charge of a bigger, wealthier club
    Him and Ainsworth remind me a bit of Curbishley when he was Charlton Manager

Reckon it would take a lot (not just money) to persuade them to move
    Ainsworth n Sandy could form a rock band .. The Rockin' Addicks 
  • Options

are we bigger than Rotherham?  we have spent 1 season out of 5 in the championship.  We are an average mid table league 1 club.  Talk of championship managers, or even managers in the championship relegation zone wanting to leave sturdy jobs at well run clubs to come to charlton is laughable.

The short list will be 

cook
    cowleys
    unproven managers

That is our level at the moment 
  • Options
    gus poyet! He would love to be Charlton manager and would do everything to succeed. Also, he is a manager that has a way of playing and a plan.
  • Options
    Arsenal's strategy was to sign the assistant of a successful manager. So they signed Guardiola's assistant, Arteta... But who was Arteta's assistant?

#AnnounceSusan
  • Options
    If he does get rid, the next appointment should be an interim one, why try and nick another manager now when you’ll likely have a lot more choice come end of the season. 

Euell is perfect, worst case scenario a young up and coming charlton man does poorly but gets some vital experience before going back to current role, best case scenario things start to click and he’s on the shortlist for the permanent role.
  • Options
    cowleys were awful at Huddersfield. Terrible terrible football with not bad premier league players. 
  • Options
    Sandgaard will see any future appointment as the manager who he’ll want to take us to the Premier League, and potentially establish us there.

So the suggestions of average League 1 managers isn’t going to fit the ideal person Sandgaard would want, unless there is someone exceptional 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Mal011 said:
    cowleys were awful at Huddersfield. Terrible terrible football with not bad premier league players. 
    If Huddersfield had not bad premier league players, why did they finish bottom of the premie league two seasons ago?

Lots of the cowleys play awful football comments, two points

1. how many Huddersfield games is that based on
    2. have you seen Charlton play in since 2019?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paul Cook for me, has to be the best unemployed option out there. I wouldn’t mind Ryan Lowe who has done a decent job at Plymouth. David Artell too at Crewe. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Paul Cook for me, has to be the best unemployed option out there. I wouldn’t mind Ryan Lowe who has done a decent job at Plymouth. David Artell too at Crewe. 
    Matt Taylor or Mike Duff if we go for other young options, although a bit more risky as neither have proven themselves at this level.

Or even Mark Bonner (only 35) from Cambridge, has basically turned them from an average League Two team extremely quickly
  • Options
    Matt Taylor or Mike Duff if we go for other young options, although a bit more risky as neither have proven themselves at this level
    Id like a manager to have a promotion on his CV. Ideally that’s from League 1, hence Cook. But at least Lowe and Artell have recent form for getting a side promoted. 
  • Options

are we bigger than Rotherham?  we have spent 1 season out of 5 in the championship.  We are an average mid table league 1 club.  Talk of championship managers, or even managers in the championship relegation zone wanting to leave sturdy jobs at well run clubs to come to charlton is laughable.

The short list will be 

cook
    cowleys
    unproven managers

Of course we're bigger than Rotherham.

They're a well run club, who at their peak will sneak into the Championship, but will struggle to stay there because they don't have the fanbase or income. Their ground holds 12000, less than half ours.

We've been out of the Championship due to duff owners (Roland, ESI), but that is our natural level. A half decent owner would have kept us up last season. Lots of current managers will look at us as a GREAT opportunity. A passionate fanbase, a positive and inspiring owner. Get it right and there's the chance to do a Sheffield United

Warne wouldn't leave  Rotherham now, but if they go down in the summer then surely he'll feel he can do no more there.
  • Options

The short list will be 

cook
    cowleys
    unproven managers

They're a well run club, who at their peak will sneak into the Championship, but will struggle to stay there because they don't have the fanbase or income. Their ground holds 12000, less than half ours.

We've been out of the Championship due to duff owners (Roland, ESI), but that is our natural level. A half decent owner would have kept us up last season. Lots of current managers will look at us as a GREAT opportunity. A passionate fanbase, a positive and inspiring owner. Get it right and there's the chance to do a Sheffield United

Warne wouldn't leave  Rotherham now, but if they go down in the summer then surely he'll feel he can do no more there.
    The last January window, you’re a pro and Charlton and Rotherham both offer you a 1.5 year contract. Where would you go?
  • Options
    Very left field option probably massively unlikely , Michael Beale who was an ex youth player of ours , currently Gerrard's assistant at Rangers and managed Liverpool's 23s for a while. 
  • Options
    Matt Taylor or Mike Duff if we go for other young options, although a bit more risky as neither have proven themselves at this level
    Id like a manager to have a promotion on his CV. Ideally that’s from League 1, hence Cook. But at least Lowe and Artell have recent form for getting a side promoted. 
    Yeah we've even seen from the likes of John Askey (Macclesfield > Shrewsbury) and Ian Evett (Barrow > Bolton) that a promotion on your CV from the league below (or two leagues with Askey) can often result in a sluggish start, I say that last bit as Evett @ Bolton seems to finally be getting somewhere
  • Options
    Mal011 said:
    gus poyet! He would love to be Charlton manager and would do everything to succeed. Also, he is a manager that has a way of playing and a plan.
    Great when it’s working but he doesn’t adapt when things aren’t going well. Against Palace in the playoffs they were still tapping it around when they desperately needed a goal. Not sure he’d change his ways, only having one style was one of the main issues for Robinson, Peeters and Luzon.
  • Options

The short list will be 

cook
    cowleys
    unproven managers

The last January window, you’re a pro and Charlton and Rotherham both offer you a 1.5 year contract. Where would you go?
     Not a fair question as we are talking about the summer. I expect (certainly hope) that we’ll be offering better contracts out in the summer than Rotherham. If they are in the Championship still then fair enough but if they are relegated I feel we’re a more attractive option. 
  • Options
    So my guess of the person spec is

- experience of a Premier League or top European league coaching structure
    - happy to work under a director of football
    - will be a head coach not manager
    - wants to play attacking front foot football
    - will bring young players through 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worth noting Bowyer is currently the 19th longest serving manager out the 92 clubs 
    Joint 20th with our Karl. 
  • Options
    Cowley - The modern day Phil Parkinson
  • Options
    Worth noting Bowyer is currently the 19th longest serving manager out the 92 clubs 
    Just wow
  • Options
    My cousin is a Lincoln fan and only says good things about Cowley. Pragmatic coach and was amazed that Huddersfield sacked him. 

He said that he seemed to have a good relationship with everyone at Lincoln, but with people saying that something about him as a person, I'm on the fence a bit.

I'd back him and be behind if he came though.
  • Options

The short list will be 

cook
    cowleys
    unproven managers

Depends where I live, if I'm from Yorkshire and dont fancy moving far from home then I'd probably choose Rotherham
  • Options

The short list will be 

cook
    cowleys
    unproven managers

Don’t get this apart from the cynicism of years of being a Charlton fan. Unless Sandgaard is a real fruitloop and his ambitions of making Charlton bigger and better than ever before are complete and utter fiction then we have to be looking at every option and that includes pools of managers that in current status would be too big for us. Anything less than going as big as is possible is already failure. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Mal011 said:
    Great when it’s working but he doesn’t adapt when things aren’t going well. Against Palace in the playoffs they were still tapping it around when they desperately needed a goal. Not sure he’d change his ways, only having one style was one of the main issues for Robinson, Peeters and Luzon.
    I think Poyet's record is a fair bit better than those mentioned to be fair to suggest that is something we can worry about down the line hopefully in a higher division. Poyet is probably the one name I look at from those you'd immediately laugh off saying they wouldn't take it, but would be curious if actually he might be tempted. I think the salary cap being got rid of immediately makes us a much bigger draw.

• Options
    edited February 2021

The short list will be 

cook
    cowleys
    unproven managers

Depends where I live, if I'm from Yorkshire and dont fancy moving far from home then I'd probably choose Rotherham
    Exactly if I was offered an 18 month contract in Rotherham or South East london the money would have to be life changing to move back to London.  And I have got 25 years left of working, not 4 or 5 like most pros.

Does your partner work?  Are the kids at school?

Conversely if you lived in South East you might be tempted to move to a Rotherham because a signing on fee and a modest footballers wage would probably buy you a house, out right over a 3 year contract. 
  • Options
    This seems to have turned into a ‘who would your next choice be’ thread. For what it’s worth, I think Danny Cowley would be an exceptional choice. 

But not one person has mentioned Chris Powell and I am just wondering why? His record last time he was here in this league was unprecedented. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    This seems to have turned into a ‘who would your next choice be’ thread. For what it’s worth, I think Danny Cowley would be an exceptional choice. 

But not one person has mentioned Chris Powell and I am just wondering why? His record last time he was here in this league was unprecedented. 
    And you could argue Powell did well with a bit of backing to create basically a whole new squad, which is exactly what we'll need to be doing again this summer.