Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny cowley - wants to return to management

Comments

• Options
    All managers have some form of baggage, be it being untried or having failed at a club. Even Fergie took 5 years to get things going at Utd.

Every appointment is a gamble, some fit others don't.
  • Options
    Worth noting Bowyer is currently the 19th longest serving manager out the 92 clubs 
    Just wow
    To be honest to me it feels like Bowyer has been manager for 100 years - so much has happened on the pitch, off the pitch and in the wider world since Karl Robinson was our manager.  
  • Options
    Thankfully Sandgaard and Roddy will have more imagination and wider set of options then being offered here.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    This seems to have turned into a ‘who would your next choice be’ thread. For what it’s worth, I think Danny Cowley would be an exceptional choice. 

But not one person has mentioned Chris Powell and I am just wondering why? His record last time he was here in this league was unprecedented. 
    Does Powell even want to get back into management? He has a nice academy job at Spurs, combined with media work, does he want the stress of management again?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    RC_CAFC said:
    This seems to have turned into a ‘who would your next choice be’ thread. For what it’s worth, I think Danny Cowley would be an exceptional choice. 

But not one person has mentioned Chris Powell and I am just wondering why? His record last time he was here in this league was unprecedented. 
    Does Powell even want to get back into management? He has a nice academy job at Spurs, combined with media work, does he want the stress of management again?
    And England, I would assume he would have to give that up for a league 1 gig?

I don't think you can call games off due to manager being called up 

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Curbs and Euell for me. Would like to see real charlton people in charge
    If we are going to restrict our options to people with a strong Charlton connection we are truly f*****d.

I mean why stop with the manager.

I don't want anyone playing for the club that doesn't either come from the Kent / SE London borders or has not played for us previously.  Come to that I don't want to play in a league with non SE London connections.  Perhaps we should only play in a local league, with local players, management and fans.

Interestingly, I would love that to be the case. Football has pretty much lost its connection with locality (a percentage of the fanbase apart). It's certainly not a modern phenomena, but I do wonder how much more affinity Celtic fans in 1968 felt towards their team versus what we see anywhere today. 

The Lisbon Lions...is the nickname given to the Celtic team that won the European Cup at the Estádio Nacional near LisbonPortugal on 25 May 1967,[5] defeating Inter Milan 2–1.[6] All but two members of the 15 man squad were born within 10 miles of Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland (Bobby Lennox, who was born 30 miles away in Saltcoats, and Tommy Gemmell, who was born in Motherwell 11 miles away).
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

Definitely debatable - nice cushy stress free job he has at the moment.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Curbs and Euell for me. Would like to see real charlton people in charge
    If we are going to restrict our options to people with a strong Charlton connection we are truly f*****d.

I mean why stop with the manager.

I don't want anyone playing for the club that doesn't either come from the Kent / SE London borders or has not played for us previously.  Come to that I don't want to play in a league with non SE London connections.  Perhaps we should only play in a local league, with local players, management and fans.

Well it works for Bilbao...
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

Might feel he has unfinished business at Charlton and want to come back under decent ambitious ownership? I doubt he's high up on the list though unfortunately.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has Alex Dyer got a club at the moment ?
  • Options
    Caught the half time chat on BBC for the Fulham/Palace game and there's Mark Hughes....no I don't want him either.

Other pundit was Alex Scott, she seems to get a gig every week.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

I could be wrong, but I just couldn’t see him turning down Charlton. He’s a manager, he wants to be a manager. He’s doing jobs to improve himself but I think he’d jump at the chance to lead us again. I think he could really pull the whole club together.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

I could be wrong, but I just couldn’t see him turning down Charlton. He’s a manager, he wants to be a manager. He’s doing jobs to improve himself but I think he’d jump at the chance to lead us again. I think he could really pull the whole club together.
    It’s a lovely thought, but I don’t think Powell’s career has been a roaring success since he 
    left us. I think he was a great man who was just what we needed at a certain time, kinda like the stars aligning. Times have changed and I don’t really think he’s the man for us now.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

It’s a lovely thought, but I don’t think Powell’s career has been a roaring success since he 
    left us. I think he was a great man who was just what we needed at a certain time, kinda like the stars aligning. Times have changed and I don’t really think he’s the man for us now.
    Our career hasn't been a roaring success since he left us either. He's #1 for me. There are many other options though. 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    se9addick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Our career hasn't been a roaring success since he left us either. He's #1 for me. There are many other options though. 
    Didn’t he last get sacked by Southend? No chance. 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    se9addick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Think they were in a financial mess at the time
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Lampard. Should be able to get us the best loan players in at least. 😉
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    se9addick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

How can you say no chance to someone who took us out of this league with over 100points?
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Jonniesta said:
    se9addick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

How can you say no chance to someone who took us out of this league with over 100points?
    Because it’s exactly this nostalgia that is the reason we’re in the position we’re in now. If our fans had it their way we’d endlessly cycle through ex-managers to no end. We’ve got a new era at the club and need a complete revamp to move forward. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Jonniesta said:
    se9addick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Because it’s exactly this nostalgia that is the reason we’re in the position we’re in now. If our fans had it their way we’d endlessly cycle through ex-managers to no end. We’ve got a new era at the club and need a complete revamp to move forward. 
    How is nostalgia the reason we're here now? It's not about wanting a random ex manager, it's about appointing the best one for the job. A man who took us out of this league with over 100 points and then got us 9th in the championship before having all funding withdrawn, if available, has to be considered as a candidate for the job, regardless of his affinity for the club
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Jonniesta said:
    se9addick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

10 years ago. CV not impressive since then
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Jonniesta said:
    se9addick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

10 years ago. CV not impressive since then
    Been working for Tottenham and has the trust of the England manager. People annoyed with Bowyer’s digging out of players, but Powell is a manager to unite. His management of Huddersfield wasn’t poor and he should have never taken that Southend job. 

Am not saying he’s the only candidate, the man who’s thread this is named after, Paul Cook, Ryan Lowe and I’m sure many others would do a good job. Just don’t think disregarding a man with his record the last time he was here in this league is wise. And I’ll never buy that football in league 1 has moved on. That team we had that, he assembled and coached, that year would have were better than anything in league 1 this year.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    There is a distinct lack of good managers out of work at the moment . I think we might have to get creative and look for a manager who is in work and Tap him up . 
    But we already have a manager!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    "Hello Mr Tuchel. Any chance of borrowing Mason Mount for the season?"
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    "Hello Mr Tuchel. Any chance of borrowing Mason Mount for the season?"
    He'd only get into our team because Frank is Manager... Wouldnt be on the teamsheet else
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I don’t know what it is, there’s just something about Cowley I’m just not convinced by. 
    I’d back that. I attended a non-league game when he was manager of Lincoln. I stood behind him and didn’t like his attitude and the way he handled a couple of interactions with the ref, crowd and opposition bench.
    I’ve met him and actually sat next to him for an entire game....can only say he was nice as pie and had a great sense of humour......admittedly, I don’t have any idea what he’s like in the dugout during a match.
  • Options
    He's just been mentioned on another thread but I wonder (and am surprised he hasnt already been mentioned) if Daniel Stendal would be a target? 
  • Options
    He's just been mentioned on another thread but I wonder (and am surprised he hasnt already been mentioned) if Daniel Stendal would be a target? 
    Fits what I suspect the profile will be 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Fits what I suspect the profile will be 
    Would question his time at Hearts but guess someone like @cafcdave123 would know more about his time there