Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

39 days until pub gardens reopen

Comments

• Options
    @Spitfire76 Agree with everything you said. All fun and games when the sun is out, but it is a horrible experience when the sun goes down.

Felt like being a teenager again, sitting in the freezing cold on a bench drinking outside. Difficult wanting to remain seated when freezing your absolutes off.
  • Options
    @Spitfire76 Agree with everything you said. All fun and games when the sun is out, but it is a horrible experience when the sun goes down.

Felt like being a teenager again, sitting in the freezing cold on a bench drinking outside. Difficult wanting to remain seated when freezing your absolutes off.
    What I saw while people watching in pubs in Dorset last week was people enduring it rather than enjoying it with all the grit of a true Brit and the determination to enjoy it despite how much they disliked it.

I didn’t witness it but I do wonder what the plan is with these places with full outside tables when a downpour starts , when you’ve got 30 covers on the grill & then they all sodded off to get out the rain but then again with the majority doing app ordering most people have paid in advance now & will probably be asking for their money back as they clearly can’t eat out in the monsoon but you have the food they ordered half cooked , I must have been the only one hoping for rain as I wanted see the outcome. 

• Options

Agree. It wont catch on going forward. It's purely because we have all been locked up for the past year and people are dying to get out to meet friends and have a bit of a sesh.

Love a beer garden when the suns shining but it's no fun once it starts pissing down.
  • Options
    I can see no pleasure in being in a pub garden much past 6pm.  Once the sun goes down, it gets bloody chilli. During week from what I’ve seen there is a few diehards sitting it out. Weekends, can’t believe people are prepared to bloody freeze to drink outside. Sod that, I’m indoors still...... 
  • Options
    It does become a struggle after the sun disappears but stiff upper lip and all that... giving it my best shot.  I’m going in and out to the loo to keep warm! But throw the towel in by 8.

Roll on 17 May. 

• Options
    went local last night to the red barn, much better prices
    4 san miguel
    1 peroni
    1 guinness

£21.90 all pints. 

service was slow though as its not done via app. had table booked from 6 - left at 9 as was just too cold. 
  • Options
    I met my Charlton mates at 1pm.
    I was dressed up like a Charlton game in March. 
    I picked the best table in the sun & it was absolutely scorchio.
    We left about 5pm.
    I've just woken up in time for Line of Duty. 
    Mother of God. 

• Options
    went local last night to the red barn, much better prices
    4 san miguel
    1 peroni
    1 guinness

£21.90 all pints. 

service was slow though as its not done via app. had table booked from 6 - left at 9 as was just too cold. 
    You mean all pints were £21.90 each? Sounds like a rip off to me.
  • Options
    Has anyone done any evenings out? 

Personally I have zero interest sitting out in the cold. Walked past a restaurant about 8 last night, saw a couple eating dinner with duffle coats zipped right up. 

Are places doing an evening trade?

Met up with two pals on Friday night in Canary Wharf, at the Parlour.

Now, those of you that work in CW know it has its own weather system at the best of times and the grass green between One Canada Square, Waitrose, KPMG and HSBC is always in the shade!

Anyway, got there at 5:30 to see there was no patio heater on our table. 5 rounds later we called it a night due to frost bite and the constant shivers.

For the record, 2 pints of Peroni and 1 pint of Guiness - £22.20.  Well over £7 a pint.  Ouch.

Even by the time I got in bed 3hrs later, I was still shivering!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went out last Thursday and forecast said feels like 1°C so sitting still and not moving around meant thermal up in size and layers cos its boozing like on the ski slopes so gloves hat the lot .
    Heaters were shit where i was,  some ruby in Ilford and it was freezing but I was all good .
    Fail to prepare .........
  • Options
    Had a few on Thursday starting at 5, had to call it a day at 8, home to warm up. Inside the pub they had lit the fire by our normal table, roll on 17 May.
  • Options
    I've got dinner booked on Weds night so will be digging out the winter coat again! 
  • Options
    Whats the coat done to upset you?
  • Options
    Am holding fire until we have mini heatwave. Hopefully get out for a few around missus birthday 10th May. Otherwise it is wait till we go to fighting Cocks for mums birthday on 22nd May. 
  • Options
    Booked in again at the Shortlands for 13th May, as above mini heatwave would be nice.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Personally I have zero interest sitting out in the cold. Walked past a restaurant about 8 last night, saw a couple eating dinner with duffle coats zipped right up. 

Now, those of you that work in CW know it has its own weather system at the best of times and the grass green between One Canada Square, Waitrose, KPMG and HSBC is always in the shade!

Anyway, got there at 5:30 to see there was no patio heater on our table. 5 rounds later we called it a night due to frost bite and the constant shivers.

For the record, 2 pints of Peroni and 1 pint of Guiness - £22.20.  Well over £7 a pint.  Ouch.

Not a fan of the Parlour - or most of the bars / pubs in CW to be honest.

The Sipping Room is passable I spose.......and if you have to go to a 'Spoons then the ledger is one of the better ones IMO.

I'd personally take the hit of a 10 min walk ad go to the George.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Booked in again at the Shortlands for 13th May, as above mini heatwave would be nice.
    Yeah - was in there Saturday afternoon. Was OK at first.....but definitely taters as the day wore on.
  • Options
    wandered into Danson Park for lunch at the Danson Stables today, couldn't believe how packed it was
  • Options
    wandered into Danson Park for lunch at the Danson Stables today, couldn't believe how packed it was
    With horses? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good nosebag?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Yeah - was in there Saturday afternoon. Was OK at first.....but definitely taters as the day wore on.
    Was there last October and they had heaters under the table which made things bearable.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Good nosebag?
    Mine wasn’t great when I went there a couple of weeks ago. It also coincided with the 20 minutes of rain we’ve had since lockdown ended :-) 
  • Options
    Good nosebag?
    Mine wasn’t great when I went there a couple of weeks ago. It also coincided with the 20 minutes of rain we’ve had since lockdown ended :-) 
    It never is mate. Such a shame as the location is great but the food and service can be awful at times. 
  • Options
    WTF is wrong with people

Suffolk pub explosion: Heater 'was brought by customer' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-56889557
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Nope, wasn’t me.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Not a fan of the Parlour - or most of the bars / pubs in CW to be honest.

The Sipping Room is passable I spose.......and if you have to go to a 'Spoons then the ledger is one of the better ones IMO.

I'd personally take the hit of a 10 min walk ad go to the George.
    Brewdog is decent at Canary Wharf. Agreed that majority of bars there aren’t great though. 
  • Options
    WTF is wrong with people

Suffolk pub explosion: Heater 'was brought by customer' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-56889557

• Options
    Bulls Head, Chislehurst.  Friend of mine on Monday. Guess the beer was 6 pounds, the rest being table service/ delivery charge.
    went there yesterday as a mate really likes the pub. Was worried about this service charge thing but they have either got rid or put it on to the price of the drink. £6.15 for a pint of Moretti.