Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread : Charlton Athletic v Northampton Town | Tues 9 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    keeps the season alive i guess but lets be honest - if i think back to the teams that i have been old enough to properly watch get promotion, they were good sides and the current team isn't. The Lennie side, curbs side, curbs side part 2, the powell side and the bowyer side part 1. They were good sides and you knew it at the time and were gutted if they dropped points coz it would normally have been a bit of bad luck or you were playing another top side. I've got no idea what we are going to get when i watch this side - its great we've cut out the stupid mistakes but good, attacking football has been absent all year and remains absent - northampton were the most 'there for the taking' side of seen for a long time and we needed a dubious penalty to eventually break the deadlock. We are pants but i will continue to watch and support as always. 

I think we are properly on par with the 2018/19 team that lost to Shrewsbury in the playoffs. 
    Wont be surprised if Lincoln are the team we face and lose to in the Play-Off semi-finals IF we get there
  • Options
    Solid performance, 3 points well deserved, bit of a shame to concede at the death, JFC, Pearce, Watson were our most important players imo and forming the spine of our team currently. Pleased. A couple points:

I know Bowyer and some posts on here praised him but I didn't think Morgan was very effective yesterday at all myself, I think the RM position would've suited him better (And Millar on the left), can someone explain what I missed? I want him to do well, I just wasn't impressed and thought he hadn't grabbed his chance like Bowyer normally says he wants players to do.

Also think we offer much more going forward with Chuks than Stockley who wins a lot of aerial battles but we seem to resort to hoofball when he's on, especially when under pressure. He doesn't seem to be able to bring it down to the deck as well, whereas Chuks can win the aerial battles, bring the ball down and turn a player and create an opportunity like he did for our 2nd. Might be unfair of me as Stockley's undoubtedly a good striker for this division and contributed well but just seems much more one-dimensional.

I'm not trying to be negative, it was one of the best performances I've watched this season, but just interested in thoughts on the above 2 points.
    He’s still a young lad who was asked to do a difficult job out of his natural position and he did it well. He threw himself at the ball, protected the defence and put in some great crosses - one of which Stockley should have scored. He faded a little bit but that’s to be expected when you’ve not played much football recently. Like Bowyer said, Albie is now a player he can trust to come on the pitch and not let the team down through complacency.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Pratley and Watson does work, as long as Pratley plays at the back like last night. 
    Not correct according to results. 

Their run of both being in midfield is P4, W3, D1, L0 2.5PPG (Coincided with Inniss & Famewo partnership)
    Their run of being in the squad split is P11, W4, D3, L4  1.36PPG
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Didn't we spend less time in the top six than any other contender during our promotion season?

We went on to scrape though in the playoffs and win the final in the last minute.  Bow is just bringing the side up on the rails now, hold on tight, it could be a bumpy ride and a grandstand finish. 

It's all about timing. 🤞
    Let us hope so. 

DOUCHER said:
    keeps the season alive i guess but lets be honest - if i think back to the teams that i have been old enough to properly watch get promotion, they were good sides and the current team isn't. The Lennie side, curbs side, curbs side part 2, the powell side and the bowyer side part 1. They were good sides and you knew it at the time and were gutted if they dropped points coz it would normally have been a bit of bad luck or you were playing another top side. I've got no idea what we are going to get when i watch this side - its great we've cut out the stupid mistakes but good, attacking football has been absent all year and remains absent - northampton were the most 'there for the taking' side of seen for a long time and we needed a dubious penalty to eventually break the deadlock. We are pants but i will continue to watch and support as always. 

I think we are properly on par with the 2018/19 team that lost to Shrewsbury in the playoffs. 
    Very fair (That was 17/18 btw).

Can we get 20 points from our remaining 12 games to match Our 17/18 team?

Or average 1.667 pts per game to get us to a total of 71.  Certainly seems achievable if we can stay united. 

At this point:

Final Table:

Whether it's enough to get that last play off spot will be tight.
  • Options

We got the ball forward quickly, got the ball in the box from crosses as quick as we could and closed down. 
    No tippy tappy shit, passing backwards and backing off players. It's not rocket science, it's league one.

Them last 8 games are ridiculous but could be  a roller coaster.

Yeah, an attractive passing game is terrific to watch ........ if it's effective and produces results.
    But as you say, it's League One. It's points we need.

• Options
    How we are only one point of the playoffs is a mystery to me.
    I suppose it just shows how poor this league is.
    I think the quality of football I've seen this season is as bad as I've seen in over 55 years supporting the club. 
    Win our next two games and we will probably be top six  (although teams have games in hand).
    The run in could yet suprise us.
    But it’s not a poor league. It’s quite a strong league where any team can beat any other team. It’s got more than it’s fair share of ex-PL clubs, it’s got the perennial nearly teams like Peterborough and Donny and its got the usual one-season wonder teams like Accrington and Lincoln. Below that there are teams like Oxford that KR has done a pretty good job with and who, like the rest of us in that top half, are one push away from a chance at promotion still. Then there’s the teams in the bottom half who can still turn over the ones at the top. This is one strong league if you are a football fan. If it wasn’t for COVID we’d probably be enjoying every minute going to the games as the crowd added the sadly missing atmosphere
    We shall have to agree to disagree. 
    The football I've watched this season has been mainly crap.
    You could say that for pretty much every league tbh.

This has been mentioned a few times on MOTD etc, the insinuation from the pundits always seems to be, that it is because we're cramming games, teams are purposefully playing very differently to how they normally would. 

I am undecided as to whether this is accurate, but it's an angle on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just a side issue to last night's game but I wish we wouldn't keep racking up cheap yellow cards such as Watson's (was that for dissent after being penalised, rather than for the foul itself?) and then Chucks for his usual once-per-game shoving match after he conceded that free kick at the very death. I don't know where they both are in the disciplinary totting up process, but we know Chucks would have been suspended for 4 games if his recent sending off hadn't been rescinded. We are getting to the business end of the season and you don't want players missing due to suspension because they are racking up too many yellow cards.
  • Options
    First game in a while I have felt we were going to win after the first 5 mins. Less nerves and so a lot more enjoyable too. Well worth a tenner.
  • Options

Bowyer ........ has done something I think he should of done earlier and gone back to basics.

The players look more comfortable with what they are being asked to do and it shows.

I think Ben Amos mentioned it pre match about being caught in different ways of playing. Now it looks like that's all been stripped back and the players are asked to play it simple not over thinking other teams and adapting to them. 

Nail on the head.

The players look more comfortable.

Going back to basics is about organisation and doing the simple stuff well.
    And suddenly we look like a team again.

• Options
    Pompey are really struggling at the moment. No shots on target today against Sunderland, they look really vulnerable in 6th place BUT a number of teams could pinch it as well as us
    Is their manager still recovering from his operation or is he back now?
    He's back now

He wasn't out long, his operation was on his arm/shoulder rather than anything more "serious" to health
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Valley11 said:
    3 solid performances in a row, a win's a win!

shows how shite this league is that given the run we've been on we are only 1 point outside the play offs. 

very generous pen I thought.

Brownie on comms was great again as was Fortune in the studio, saw Matt Holland respond to a tweet asking when he's gonna be on - would be a great guest. 

Curbs get's better on there every week
    There’s something really endearing and heart warming about Curbs on there. He was always a bit wooden when manager but he’s now that bit older where you don’t care as much what people think. Bless him. Legend. 
    Indeed. Mr Curbishley had none of the suave assurance of Charlton Athletic manager Jimmy Steed, when dealing with the press (see news clip by clicking the ‘link’ below).
    Neither did he have the sort of tactical genius revealed as Mr Steed attempts to explain simple defensive techniques to a largely uncomprehending Charlton defence, using his futuristic ‘Magnetic Board’.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking at the decision leading up to the penalty. The Ref has seen a possible foul on Stockley (their defender does a Jason Pearce all over him) and then JFC in quick succession. On it's own, I don't think he would have awarded a foul for just the JFC incident. 

Add pressure to the opposition, and things happen ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Great to see Washington in the team of the week, thoroughly deserved, but, what is this fascination with  JFH as manager again, surely it is deserved by Lee Johnson of Sunderland for one at least
  • Options
    Great to see Washington in the team of the week, thoroughly deserved, but, what is this fascination with have JFH as manager again, surely it is deserved by Lee Johnson of Sunderland for one at least
    Or Bowyer for breaking our temporary home curse!
  • Options
    Watching Charlton has gone from digging a hole for no reason in no particular place to digging a hole in the right place. It's slow, tedious and painful but at least now some preparation is there for a new flower bed. 

Will they remember to buy the bulbs and plant them the right way up? I'm as unconvinced as asking my children to do it.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

at a stretch maybe - that and the curbs - david whyte/ gary neslon team and the ginger midfielder who scooped the pen over the bar team but if anything probably worse - never had the feeling with those sides like i had with the one's i mentioned above and this current one, i definitely don't but no harm in giving it a go