Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What’s been your favourite TV series?

Comments

• Options
    The Wire - Ground breaking in showing the dire state of life for the ‘underprivileged’ in the US. Each series focussing on different aspects. Who can forget the character Omar Little :)

The Sopranos - Just got better and better with each series.
    The Bridge - Amazing acting by Sofia Helin as main character Saga Noren.
    Boys from the Blackstuff - fantastic characters and great messaging of the dire state of the country at the time.
    Spiral - came to this late on. Binge watched and gutted when we reached the final episode.
    Homeland - was very watchable. Claire Danes was great as Carrie Mathieson. Final series was a bit disappointing.

Ozark is up there of the more recent stuff. Also looking forward to the new series of Line of Duty as well.

• Options
    The Darling Buds of May......holds a special place in my heart.

Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy.....riveting stuff with a sublime cast.

Chernobyl.....truthful, honestly horrendous, unbelievable saga.

• Options
    My favourite viewing experience of all time is LOST followed by Quantum Leap. The best show I have ever seen is probably The Sopranos closely followed by The Wire (which would be top if it wasn't for McNulty's final season storyline). Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire were great but not consistently so - I kept asking myself why I am watching these people! 

Band of Brothers is the best limited series I have ever seen, followed by Chernobyl. 

Better Call Saul and Mindhunter the best of recent years. 

I don't know why I never put Breaking Bad on the list. I probably should! 

Reading these lists where people have the same shows as my choices makes me realise I should watch the ones on those lists I haven't seen. 

• Options
    This Life 
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    hawksmoor said:
    As for non-US series, Gomorrah would be No1 without doubt. 
    Did you ever see Romanzo Criminale @hawksmoor ?
    Is this the one set in the Seventies? Flares and Fiats?
    Yeah....70's and 80's.....was also a spin off from a film.

I really liked it.
    We seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet, Suede, when it comes to series, so I will definitely give it a watch. And the film, if I can. Is Was it on Sky Atlantic?
  • Options
    Grange Hill. Zammo is the reason that I have never done heroin.
  • Options
    24 seems to have fallen off a lot of peoples radars but to me was pretty revolutionary and a big influencer in the switch from films to TV.

The first series was extraordinary and truly ground-breaking but I think I got bored part way through the third - did you think it was good all the way through? Any particular good seasons? 
  • Options
    This lockdown we've discovered and enjoyed;
    Sneaky Pete
    Goliath
    Bosch
    and for some chewing gum for the ears, Lucifer.
  • Options
    Mr Robot
    The Killing
    DEVS
    The Handmaids Tale
    The Bridge
    Breaking Bad
    Lodge 49
    The Killing
    Line of Duty
    Man in the High Castle
  • Options
    1) 24
    2) The blacklist

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. Sopranos 
    2 Breaking Bad
    3 Line of Duty
    4. Peaky Blinders
    5. The Wire
    6. House of cards (UK)
    7. Happy Valley
    8. Ozark 
    9. Fleabag
    10. NYPD Blues
  • Options
    1. Band of Brothers
    2. Chernobyl
    3. Breaking Bad
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Breaking Bad
    Poldark (original 1970's series) (Edit: Not Debbie Horsfield's recent  awful post-feminist rewrite. NB My wife take the opposite view)
    Life on Mars
    Shogun
    Spooks
    Line of Duty
    Edge of Darkness
    Game of Thrones
    Wire in the Blood
    Morse
    Lewis
    Endeavour
    Manhunt (50 years ago, if I saw it again now would probs just laugh)
    The Sweeney (The GOAT of it's day, sadly now it's like a Gene Hunt parody)

• Options
    League of Gentlemen is my favourite, then a few more sitcoms, but if we are only talking about drama the This Is England series stemming from the film is excellent. Just started watching Cracker as well, which is good
  • Options
    Jints said:
    24 seems to have fallen off a lot of peoples radars but to me was pretty revolutionary and a big influencer in the switch from films to TV.

The first series was extraordinary and truly ground-breaking but I think I got bored part way through the third - did you think it was good all the way through? Any particular good seasons? 
    Season one was amazing at the time. Then you realise they got to the final hour of story after 12 hours and they were winging it for the second half of the season! 

It was insanely enjoyable. As AFKA says, completely groundbreaking. I’d never seen anything remotely as exciting. But I suspect it went on for too long and fizzled out so it’s been forgotten somewhat. The top shows were excellent from start to finish and had arcs that covered the entire run with inevitable conclusions. 24 barely had an arc that covered a season! 
  • Options
    Breaking Bad
    Peaky Blinders
    Caliphate
    Ozark
    Band of Brothers
  • Options
    The Sopranos will always be a fave of mine. Homeland is the only thing that's had me properly gripped and desperate for the next episode though.

Peep Show I rewatch constantly, same for Archer and Rick and Morty. Phoneshop a niche favourite, only understood by those from SE England.

Classic Simpsons too, set the bar for animated comedies. 
  • Options
    Not in order, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Chernobyl, The Expanse, Bosch. Favourite foreign language series is The Bureau   
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Jints said:

Season one was amazing at the time. Then you realise they got to the final hour of story after 12 hours and they were winging it for the second half of the season! 

It was insanely enjoyable. As AFKA says, completely groundbreaking. I’d never seen anything remotely as exciting. But I suspect it went on for too long and fizzled out so it’s been forgotten somewhat. The top shows were excellent from start to finish and had arcs that covered the entire run with inevitable conclusions. 24 barely had an arc that covered a season! 
    I missed season 1 of 24 and started with season 2. Pretty sure the opening few minutes were Kim Bauer walking around in her smalls. Fair to say I was hooked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jints said:

That’s fair. I think they got hamstrung by their USP of it being over 24 hours. It meant over the 8 series and bits there was well over 200 hours, crazy to sustain if you compare a film being 2-3hrs. After say 3 series they should have reassessed and changed it 12. But I think a lot of of producers and tv execs learnt a lot from what 24 brought. 

It got a bit repetitive in places and a little predictable once you got used to the format, but I still though it was great and Jack Bauer was an amazing lead character. 
  • Options
    Love thy Neighbour.
  • Options
    Chernobyl takes some beating 
    Sure does.
    As an ex firemen when I think of Chernobyl or the twin towers I say to myself thank God it wasn't me.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Auf Wiedersehn Pet for me. First two series were brilliant.
    I could watch the entire series.
    Oz to Neville, "Moxy is alright, it's a shame he thinks every day is Guy Fawkes".
    Moxy was an arsonist.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    This lockdown we've discovered and enjoyed;
    Sneaky Pete
    Goliath
    Bosch
    and for some chewing gum for the ears, Lucifer.
    ah.. I forgot about Sneaky Pete, yep I enjoyed that loads
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    US
    Seinfeld
    Boardwalk empire
    Lost
    Homeland
    House of Cards

UK
    I'm Alan Partridge
    The Office
    The Shadow line
    Red Riding
    Broadchurch

• Options
    No particular order:

Lost
    Fringe
    Person of Interest
    True Blood
    Desperate Housewives
    Treme
    Dexter
    The X Files

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Spooks and Bosch are good shouts.
  • Options
    West wing number one for me, surprised to see so few references to it, brilliant storytelling. Honourable mentions to the sopranos, the wire, I'm Alan partridge and the office.