Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What’s been your favourite TV series?

Comments

• Options
    The Sweeney
  • Options
    Blott on the Landscape - very funny
  • Options
    Person of Interest
    Power
  • Options
    Good to see some of the older BBC series such as Edge of Darkness and Blackstuff mentioned, to which I'll add Bleasdale's GBH, featuring a Robert Lindsey masterclass, and Michael Palin equally brilliant in a straight role. They had neither the budgets nor the tech that the modern series can call on, nor did they rely much on action/violence, but I remember them all leaving me breathless and a bit shaken. 
  • Options
    Good to see some of the older BBC series such as Edge of Darkness and Blackstuff mentioned, to which I'll add Bleasdale's GBH, featuring a Robert Lindsey masterclass, and Michael Palin equally brilliant in a straight role. They had neither the budgets nor the tech that the modern series can call on, nor did they rely much on action/violence, but I remember them all leaving me breathless and a bit shaken. 
    Yeah, it was absolutely brilliant. The scene with Lindsay's goons banging on the school windows has stayed with me, years later. 

Another great BBC series from a few years later was Our Friends in the North
  • Options
    Includes:(Going back in time)

Old Grey Whistle Test
    The Sweeney 
    Top of the Pops
    Porridge
    Dixon of Dock Green
    Fawlty Towers
    Monty Python's Flying Circus
    Softly Softly
    Z Cars
    Star Trek (original)
  • Options
    Edge of Darkness is excellent - I have the series on DVD and have watched it probably 7 or 8 times - a very young Tim McInnerny is in it, and the lead - Bob Peck - died way too young

Also - the BBC series of Tinker Taylor and Smileys People are excellent - have watched them so many times, never tire of them
  • Options
    Twin Peaks
    Northern Exposure 

Blackadder 😗
  • Options
    Some mentioned before

Very Peculiar Practice
    This Life

plus

Our Friends in the North
    Survivors (original 1970's BBC version)

• Options
    Boys from the Blackstuff was just an amazing series and made a great impression on me at the time. It's a brilliant mix of tragedy and comedy and in Yosser Hughes has one of the great characters of British TV. I loved the episode that featured Graeme Souness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boys from the black stuff. A work of pure genius which was so relevant and of its time. Shake hands.

the singing detective
    the monocled mutineer
    anything Stephen Poliakoff, especially friends and crocodiles and perfect strangers
    GBH
    Underbelly Aussie crime drama
    The Killing
    Ozark
    Breaking Bad
    Sopranos
    The Wire (number 1 in my book ). It’s all in the game y’all’
    The Sinner. Bill pullmans the don in this 
    True Detective
    Legion (utter madness)
    the end of the fucking world 1st series
    Utopia

you will note from all of this that ITV have never made anything worth a wank EVER. 

Broadchurch?
  • Options
    1 Twin Peaks
    2 Breaking Bad
    3 The Singing Detective
    4 Better Call Saul
    5 Karaoke/Cold Lazarus
    6 The Man in the High Castle
    7 24
    8 Law and Order
    9 The Wire
    10 The Walking Dead

• Options
    There have been some great shows mentioned already so, I will just add ones I think are worth watching.

In no particular order.(This is not a show, just a statement of intent). 

Broadchurch
    Vikings
    The Last Kingdom
    A Series of Unfortunate Events
    Fortitude
    The Night Of
    Dexter
    Supernatural
    Stranger Things
    13 Reasons Why (unedited)
    Night and Day (4 OD Walter Presents)
    London`s Burning
    Orange is the New Black
    Weeds
    Deutschland 83

There are probably loads more that I have enjoyed over the years.

I will be kicking myself on the way home remembering shows not added to the list.

• Options
    The Sopranos
    West Wing
    Mad Men
    The Wire
  • Options
    Soprano’s
    Frasier
    The Sweeney
    Minder
    Ozarks
    The Bridge
    Ray Donovan
    Bordertown
    Still Game
    Better Call Saul
    Breaking Bad
  • Options
    Peaky blinders 
    Got
    Breaking bad
    Missing
    Tunnel
    This is England 
    Taboo 
    Chenoble 
    Sons of anarchy 
    Fortitude 
    Futurama 
    Sopranos 
    Broadwalk empire 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Peep Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    Criminal Minds
  • Options
    Glad to see Better Call Saul get so many positive mentions. I suppose it is necessary to watch Breaking Bad first, but good though Breaking Bad is, I think Better Call Saul is better
  • Options
    As a bit of a bit of trivia, Michael Palin was originally cast in the Robert Lindsay role because Lindsay was contracted to do a film. But when the film fell through, Bleasdale offered that role to Lindsay (his first choice), and gave Palin the role as the teacher. I remember reading Palin saying something like he'd never been so relieved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    In Random Order although BB is deservedly at the top. 

Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul. 
    Hustle
    Downton Abbey
    The Split
    Peaky Blinders (minus the last series which was chuff)
    Morse/Endeavour
    Cracker
    Sea of Souls 
    Vicar of Dibley
    Blackadder
    Faulty Towers
    I'm Alan Partridge. 
    The West Wing. 
    Judge John Deed

• Options

Hustle
    Downton Abbey
    The Split
    Morse/Endeavour
    Cracker
    Sea of Souls 
    Vicar of Dibley
    Blackadder
    Faulty Towers
    I'm Alan Partridge. 
    The West Wing. 
    Judge John Deed

Pesky Blinders has gone on too long and the storylines for me have got a bit ridiculous. I thought it was excellent in the early series.
  • Options

Hustle
    Downton Abbey
    The Split
    Morse/Endeavour
    Cracker
    Sea of Souls 
    Vicar of Dibley
    Blackadder
    Faulty Towers
    I'm Alan Partridge. 
    The West Wing. 
    Judge John Deed

I forgot about Cracker, I thought it was a brilliant series.
  • Options
    Memories.  Memories.  Has anyone mentioned Dads Army.  Stupid boy.

I enjoyed all those old comedies like The Two Ronnies and Some Mothers Do Have ‘em.  And Are You being Served.

A series enjoyed at the time, not so much now was The Black and White Minstrel Show.  Just imagine if they tried to show repeats of that one now.
  • Options
    Boys from the black stuff. A work of pure genius which was so relevant and of its time. Shake hands.

the singing detective
    the monocled mutineer
    anything Stephen Poliakoff, especially friends and crocodiles and perfect strangers
    GBH
    Underbelly Aussie crime drama
    The Killing
    Ozark
    Breaking Bad
    Sopranos
    The Wire (number 1 in my book ). It’s all in the game y’all’
    The Sinner. Bill pullmans the don in this 
    True Detective
    Legion (utter madness)
    the end of the fucking world 1st series
    Utopia

you will note from all of this that ITV have never made anything worth a wank EVER. 

I'd forgotten about Legion, which is actually quite hard to do.  As you say, utter madness.  Still got the last episode to watch.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Person of Interest
    Power
    I thought you meant Powers there, which is a very flawed show based on an excellent comic.

Person of Interest is a show I've never managed to finish but have loved what I've seen so far.
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    Some mentioned before

Very Peculiar Practice
    This Life

plus

Our Friends in the North
    Survivors (original 1970's BBC version)

Survivors, like the TV Day of the Triffids, faded badly toward the end.
  • Options
    UK:
    Broadchurch
    Sweeney
    Shetland

US:
    House
    Breaking Bad
    Lost
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Person of Interest
    Power
    I thought you meant Powers there, which is a very flawed show based on an excellent comic.

Person of Interest is a show I've never managed to finish but have loved what I've seen so far.
    Stick with it. It’s brilliant.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    30 Rock
    Curb your Enthusiasm
    Veep
    Arrested Development