Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Shrewsbury | Sat 13 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Major said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I think Cullen, Bielik and Gallagher fed off the crowd at the Valley. Is it any wonder that the current crop of loanees don’t seem quite so highly motivated when they’re playing in empty stadiums?

So better quality doesn't come into it?
    It definitely does, but I was answering a couple of comments saying our loanees don’t look interested. I think they’d give more in a packed (or even half full) Valley. That’s just human nature. 
    I’m certainly not saying it wasn’t awful, it was. As soon as I saw the starting lineup I thought it probably would be.
    I just hope he never starts Watson and Pratley in midfield again, but I suspect he will. 
  • Options
    It’s barely watchable. 
    Watson and Gunter are stealing a living. 
    IMO we won’t win games if Chucks doesn’t start. 
    We are a soft touch and even pony teams know it. 
  • Options
    I’ve said it before. I’ll say it again. Pratley and Watson together in the centre of midfield doesn’t work. In fact I can’t see what either provides when playing without the other. Both are past their best. Why can’t Bowyer see it but the fans can? We need more mobile central midfielders next season. 
  • Options
    It’s barely watchable. 
    We’re you watching .. Watson was again one of our better players and has been MOM twice in last 3 matches in fact our change in results and goals conceded has improved since Watson been back .. Gunter is our best right back by miles you don’t get 99 caps by being a poor player .. been excellent at both full back and centre half ..... Aneke what did he bring yesterday and the miss from 6 yards in front of open goal ... 

I think Pratley and Watson done ok yesterday given Shrewsbury strange tactics ... people need yo
    look at the game and not just blame the same one or two players .. problem yesterday was not the three players listed above but our wide players Millar and Morgan who did not create a thing for Stockley and Washington .... 

• Options
    I often hear the same excuses as to why we look so poor “we threw a team together in weeks”. We have enough quality in the squad to be top 6. But if we allow that argument then surely at a minimum Bows job is to make sure we are well drilled, organised and have a clear game plan. Most teams that come to the valley have less quality than us but their sum of parts are miles better because they have strong leadership off the pitch. 
    Exactly.  Limited but well organised, well drilled and with a game plan.  How often have we heard that this season?  How many times has it been directed at us? 
  • Options
    It’s barely watchable. 
    We’re you watching .. Watson was again one of our better players and has been MOM twice in last 3 matches in fact our change in results and goals conceded has improved since Watson been back .. Gunter is our best right back by miles you don’t get 99 caps by being a poor player .. been excellent at both full back and centre half ..... Aneke what did he bring yesterday and the miss from 6 yards in front of open goal ... 

I think Pratley and Watson done ok yesterday given Shrewsbury strange tactics ... people need yo
    look at the game and not just blame the same one or two players .. problem yesterday was not the three players listed above but our wide players Millar and Morgan who did not create a thing for Stockley and Washington .... 

i think the real chris gunter must be tied up in the woods somewhere because the gunter i've been watching is a terrible player - his ability with the football is nearly as bad as pratley's - 2 players who have clearly made a career out of having great attitudes but they would be first out the door if i were in charge - swiftly followed by watson - we've gone full circle now and LB is back to playing the defensive tripe - id sooner concede 2 / 3 goals and watch us create chances if it has to be one or the other - ideally when we get a new manager and some new players, it won't have to be 1 or the other 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    It’s barely watchable. 

i think the real chris gunter must be tied up in the woods somewhere because the gunter i've been watching is a terrible player - his ability with the football is nearly as bad as pratley's - 2 players who have clearly made a career out of having great attitudes but they would be first out the door if i were in charge - swiftly followed by watson - we've gone full circle now and LB is back to playing the defensive tripe - id sooner concede 2 / 3 goals and watch us create chances if it has to be one or the other - ideally when we get a new manager and some new players, it won't have to be 1 or the other 
    Agree. Not only did he stand there and watch as the man he was supposed to be marking wandered free into the box and got the equaliser, he also twice nearly gifted them the winner. He's cost us so many goals this season. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Is it just me or do we seem to hit the woodwork more often than we used to (or than other teams seem to)? It seems every game we hit the post or bar at least once. And it pops back out and gets cleared. 

Dunno, whether that's true, what that means or what we can do about it but it's getting right on my nerves. 
    Improve our finishing. A lot of the chances that hit the woodwork are from 10 yards. Poor finishing rather than bad luck
    Well, LB certainly is the man for that. 

Edit: Oh, misread. 'Finishing'. Sorry! 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking at the highlights, Maatsen actually assisted our goal and directly created 2 from 3 other clearcut chances. 
  • Options
    9/10 of Gunter passes forward are a 50/50.
    Lot of just guessing with his passes. 
    Defensively he's been a bit better.

Pratley and Watson do their job but the blind obvious fact is we don't need two of them doing the same jobs when 3pts are fucking critical thus stage of season.

Play Smith and shinnie with Albie given  licence to roam and create at top of diamond. 
  • Options
    Yesterday has left me with only one thought:

Have Bowyer & Gallen got enough about them to emulate CP 11/12 closed season?

I believe Thomas will bank roll the squad, I want to believe Bow/Gallen can do this and we do have something biuld on. 

The only academy product is Morgan, I find that disappointing and worrying🤞

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Looking at the highlights, Maatsen actually assisted our goal and directly created 2 from 3 other clearcut chances. 
    Shhh, don't go around telling the truth!
  • Options
    It all has the feel of the team that petered out under Chris Powell in 2011 (Benson, Anyinsah, Reid, Parrett, Stewart, Docherty, Dailly, Francis, Sullivan etc). 

It's not down to team selection anymore. The players, collectively, aren't good enough to pick up form and go on a serious run (just winning back to back games would be start). 
  • Options
    There isn’t one single player in the entire squad who is good enough to play for Charlton. One thing I will say is that Pratley should be remembered for some of his good performances, not those in recent games. Get rid of the whole lot and start again. 
    Bowyer is now performing as bad as Klopp and Wilder. 
  • Options
    Agreed we have no creativity in midfield when 2 oldies holding midfield. forwards however must take chances presented them. Amazingly the race of playoff remains an option.
  • Options
    Getting into the playoffs seems to have become our target. Winning in the playoffs right now seems to have been forgotten, not a chance of that the way we are playing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Roll on the end of the season and a proper clear out. Watching this lot just is not fun. The seasoned professionals should be ashamed of themselves the amount of times they give the ball away or put another player in trouble with a ‘hospital pass’. Watson and Pratley were the worst culprits yesterday, but Gunter was not far behind. 

I will pay for every available game to stream, as I want the club to grow and support for Thomas all the way, but I am not far off awaiting watching goals on Quest, the matches are that frustratingly poor. 

I think we are chasing a ghost with the play offs and even if we miraculously got in them have nowhere near the quality to win them, so would rather now see our longer term contracted players (bar Watson) played game in game out to give them experience at our club and build upon that in the summer no matter who is at the helm. We can see whether any of them are worth building anything around too ie Schwartz, Gilbey, etc. Before anybody laughs re prospect of building anything around these players I have a lot of time for some of the points I have read that our coaching staff seem determined to knock the natural games out of players we sign (despite signing them based on the qualities they displayed at their previous clubs). Neither DJ or Gilbey are likely to play in the style of Bowyer or Jackson for example. Our head coaches both played at the highest level clubs and had skill sets beyond most of our current squad..., but we also know that we have brought in players that were player of the year or fan favourites at the previous club(s). Go figure...?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Let's face it yesterday wasn't great, but it wasn't all bad either, flashes here and there of good stuff but not enough to prove worthy of three points, the number of times we had a break, usually involving the much improved Washington, and we were far too slow to support from midfield, leaving their defenders too much time to mop up and break down any potential advantage we had. Watson and Pratley an accident waiting to happen, and particularly Pratley, what a potential liability he can be, almost guaranteed a booking due to his lack of pace for one thing, and then who knows when the red will come. 
    So on to Tuesday, let's just hope Jake is fit 'cause god how we missed him yesterday, and freshen up the midfield a bit maybe Shinnie, Smith, but give the non dynamic duo of Watson and Pratley a miss, we have long gone past the point of trying to avoid defeat, that ship sailed long ago, it's win or bust now.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    Getting into the playoffs seems to have become our target. Winning in the playoffs right now seems to have been forgotten, not a chance of that the way we are playing.
    To win the playoffs your target would still need to be to get into the playoffs anyway. 
  • Options
    6 of our final 8 games this season are against the current top 6. If we are able to get wins in those games, we’ll deservedly be in the play offs and may even fancy our chances.
  • Options
    The only thing that bothers me is LB said we looked tired in the second half, I thought all League 1 teams are playing twice a week, so why are we the only team that always look tired? they all do not have a big enough squad to rotate all of their players
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    The only thing that bothers me is LB said we looked tired in the second half, I thought all League 1 teams are playing twice a week, so why are we the only team that always look tired? they all do not have a big enough squad to rotate all of their players
    Watson Pratley and Pearce make us look so slow that Bowyer is confusing tired with slow
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    When you play with effectively 7 defensive players and your opponents ensure they congest the penalty area you are attacking you are going to find it hard to score. We have virtually no goals in our midfield and a shot from distance is a waste of time based on our record of scoring from them. Especially with JFC and Shinnie not starting.
  • Options
    I will add that whilst Washington did very well, it was inept defending that led to our equaliser and it was still a good example of how many players one player has to beat. Washington managed it, but the odds were against.
  • Options
    OldRed51 said:
    Agreed we have no creativity in midfield when 2 oldies holding midfield. forwards however must take chances presented them. Amazingly the race of playoff remains an option.
    But there are no "chances" being created for our strikers. Only real miss yesterday was Aneke. Stockly didn't have much time & got it on target. Washington created his goal himself. 

I'd be the first one to be on here moaning if we were missing chance after chance, week after week. Look at the stats. We bearly test the oppositions goal keeper & I reckon we create probably less than 6 chances per game.......and that's being generous.