Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Shrewsbury | Sat 13 March 2021

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Talal said:
    Maybe the last two games were an outlier because Pratley was suspended so Bowyer was forced to not play them together? 

First chance Bowyer gets he sticks Pratley and Watson straight back in and we regress. 
    Pratley played in the last game...

Famewo for Forster-Caskey was the only difference to the eleven
    True, though they weren't both in midfield last time. 
    We've never lost with Pratley and Watson in CM roles.

P5 W3 D2.
    How often did they both play the whole game though?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Talal said:
    Maybe the last two games were an outlier because Pratley was suspended so Bowyer was forced to not play them together? 

First chance Bowyer gets he sticks Pratley and Watson straight back in and we regress. 

P5 W3 D2.
    Ok. Still don't want to see it again. 
  • Options
    In the midfield, it should be one or the other unless we are playing a much better side. Then Watson in front of the defence and Pratley kicking opponents can be effective. When you have to force things, much less so.
  • Options
    There shouldn't be any much better sides in this league 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Talal said:

P5 W3 D2.
    Shrewsbury (A) | Oxford (H) | Wigan (H) - The whole game
    Shrewsbury (H) - Pratley was replaced after 63-mins (0-1)
    Blackpool (A) - Pratley was replaced after 45-mins (0-0)
  • Options
    Two central midfielders who,despite their experience are shocking with the ball at their feet and cannot pass for toffee. I lost count of the amount of Hospital balls they churned out today.
  • Options
    Another issue for me is that when we play Watson and Pratley in midfield we have 7 defensive players. 6 is ok, but 7 is too many at home in League One.
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    After the reminder of the state a year ago where I feared for my club, Im just glad we actually had a game to watch 
    I do agree with that line, it is great to have the club to support and we should never take the fact for granted after this last year - At the same time I also agree with the polarising view, as at some point we do have to push on as a club again.
    To me enough time has passed, where the off field matters can be separated from the on field matters. That we could have gone bust last year isn't an excuse for poor displays or questionable team selections, when you look at who we were able to bring in

It would be different is we were operating under massive restrictions, having to play kids and players out of position. 7 out of the 18 were with us last season, with the likes of Purrington not even in the 18. Indeed the vast majority of the 18 were in the Championship last season, when you consider the likes of Gunter, Watson, Stockley, Shinnie or at a decent level elsewhere, like Washington, Millar and Famewo (all spent some time in the Scottish Premiership last season) and  Schwartz
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    The old guard the disappointments yet again. Just ooze players coming to the end of their careers and only going one direction on the form chart. I’d rather Smith and Morgan started in centre mid than Pratley and Watson. 

There is a tiny tiny chance that we can make playoffs this season, we aren’t going down, so why not just attack teams? Try and actually play some sort of fluent football.

It just so boring and then becomes desperate. Not fun at all to watch.
    This x100. 

The future is NOT Prately & Watson. As we are neither going up or down this season it's time to start with young & hungry players that we can build a team around. Players like Morgan, Shinnie & DJ. Shame we have so many loanees that wont be here next season (Millar, Famewo, Maatsen & very likely Smith) and might be an idea to try out a couple of the U23's to see if they can step up. Now is the perfect time.
    Thought we had a poor side in October, a couple of good signings in January to keep us safe and an outside chance of the playoffs. I have asked several times which of OUR players would you like to see us play in the Championship. We are a bang average side who have to work very hard for anything.
    Totally agree with golfie. Do a Chris Powell and find out who is good enough to step up game after game and see who can make the step up.
    Jaiyesimi Stockley Famewo Millar Maatsen Watson.  "Our" players or loanees doesnt matter. All players who clearly had a bit of class when they came to us.  how would we know who would be good for us in the Championship when none of these players are playing to their potential.  Where does the responsibility for that lie is the question.
    If you think they are all Championship players we will never agree. 
    You didn't ask us which of our players are "Championship players" you asked which of our players we would like to see us play in the Championship.  I would like to see all of these play in the Championship, under a competent coach who understands how to develop talent and potential.
  • Options
    I have the overwhelming feeling that today’s game is a sign of things to come. We seem to have given up on this season, most of the players know they will only play for Charlton for another two months and don’t seem to have enough affection for the club to motivate them to put in 100% during their remaining time with us. Frankly the feeling is mutual, I don’t have much affection for most of this squad and I certainly don’t identify with them in a way that I don’t think has ever happened in all my time supporting Charlton. 

The season will now just peter out, we’ll pick up the odd win here and there over teams that are similarly unmotivated, we’ll lose a fair few to teams that are fighting for something and the football will be pretty uninspiring. 

I really think we’ve missed an opportunity, the league is weak this season and it would have been a good opportunity to get back up at the first attempt. We should have more financial room to manoeuvre in the transfer market this summer, but we’ll need to have a historically good transfer window (think that first summer window under Powell). I have to say the recruitment that we have been able to do so far under Sandgaard, acknowledging that the salary cap limited us to some extent, doesn’t fill me with confidence that we can completely rebuild the squad into a promotion winning side in one window. 
  • Options
    I've not seen a player put their hands on knees to breath as much as I do Watson. It's embarrassing and reminiscent of Monday night Goals.
  • Options
    That's our Bows...  twatspeak!
  • Options
    First things first this was not a bad performance in fact I think it was better then Tuesday but we came up against a team who were not interested in attacking just trying to stop us .. there tactic was we get one chance we take it then defend and that what they did they worked incredibly hard .... in this sort of game chances are very few so when they come you need to take them .. Stockley first but the miss of the season from Aneke 6 yards out open goal hits the bar .. that’s your chance ... but all credit to us we kept going and Conor brilliant but in trying to win it we have them a couple of chances .. sometimes just accept the point 

Washington, Watson and Pearce again the outstanding players .. but we worked hard and kept trying  

I thought Watson was poor, especially in the first half. Kept giving the ball away. Shame, after he’d had a couple of good games. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    The old guard the disappointments yet again. Just ooze players coming to the end of their careers and only going one direction on the form chart. I’d rather Smith and Morgan started in centre mid than Pratley and Watson. 

There is a tiny tiny chance that we can make playoffs this season, we aren’t going down, so why not just attack teams? Try and actually play some sort of fluent football.

This x100. 

The future is NOT Prately & Watson. As we are neither going up or down this season it's time to start with young & hungry players that we can build a team around. Players like Morgan, Shinnie & DJ. Shame we have so many loanees that wont be here next season (Millar, Famewo, Maatsen & very likely Smith) and might be an idea to try out a couple of the U23's to see if they can step up. Now is the perfect time.
    Thought we had a poor side in October, a couple of good signings in January to keep us safe and an outside chance of the playoffs. I have asked several times which of OUR players would you like to see us play in the Championship. We are a bang average side who have to work very hard for anything.
    Totally agree with golfie. Do a Chris Powell and find out who is good enough to step up game after game and see who can make the step up.
    Jaiyesimi Stockley Famewo Millar Maatsen Watson.  "Our" players or loanees doesnt matter. All players who clearly had a bit of class when they came to us.  how would we know who would be good for us in the Championship when none of these players are playing to their potential.  Where does the responsibility for that lie is the question.
    You didn't ask us which of our players are "Championship players" you asked which of our players we would like to see us play in the Championship.  I would like to see all of these play in the Championship, under a competent coach who understands how to develop talent and potential.
    You are pulling my leg aren’t you? If we got into the Championship and then played those players in the first team, I don’t care who the manager is, we would go down. 
    Clubs do not loan out players to clubs at a level that does not suit the players development. It has to be stretching but achievable. Famewo is the one player that stands out as having the quality to move up a level, Stockley maybe. The rest? Your having a laugh. Watson at 36 tearing up the Championship 😂. 
    Please, do tell, which club have you identified currently outside the bottom three who would be looking to sign any of those?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

This x100. 

Stockley and Watson seemed to play a lot of games in the championship last season........ 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Talal said:

P5 W3 D2.
    Also that period coincided with having Famewo and Innis at the back, likely that had a far greater influence on that set of results.
  • Options
    We look a team devoid of confidence. There is no doubting that this group of players should be performing better than they have for the last 6 months and the blame for that has to sit with LB.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Talal said:

P5 W3 D2.
    Also that period coincided with having Famewo and Innis at the back, likely that had a far greater influence on that set of results.
    Inniss and Famewo only played three of those games

Ironically it was in the three wins
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

This x100. 

Stockley and Watson seemed to play a lot of games in the championship last season........ 
    After which their respective clubs deemed them surplus to requirements, not a great recommendation! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

This x100. 

After which their respective clubs deemed them surplus to requirements, not a great recommendation! 
    Not correct... Forest wanted to keep Ben Watson

It was he who wanted to move back down South
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

This x100. 

What @ForeverAddickted said
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

This x100. 

You are pulling my leg aren’t you? If we got into the Championship and then played those players in the first team, I don’t care who the manager is, we would go down. 
    Clubs do not loan out players to clubs at a level that does not suit the players development. It has to be stretching but achievable. Famewo is the one player that stands out as having the quality to move up a level, Stockley maybe. The rest? Your having a laugh. Watson at 36 tearing up the Championship 😂. 
    Please, do tell, which club have you identified currently outside the bottom three who would be looking to sign any of those?

Calm down.

Is "Tearing up the championship". "Play those players in the first team" what I said?

No-one has said who they would like to see play in the championship you said. I told you who I would like to see. Now you are asking for suggestions as to who " outside of the bottom three" who would sign them.

You know what.i don't think you really want an honest answer.

Away to your LB fan club meeting. You're late.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

This x100. 

Not correct... Forest wanted to keep Ben Watson

It was he who wanted to move back down South
    Must have really wanted to move back here as I assume he’s taken a pretty hefty pay cut and dropped a division. I’m guessing when Hooters is closed there isn’t much to recommend Nottingham!