Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Shrewsbury | Sat 13 March 2021

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Major disappointment was how sluggish we were for first 20 minutes in the second half. We looked really poor and gave Shrewsbury a head start to go 1-0 up. Game was there for the taking. Another wasted opportunity 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Major disappointment was how sluggish we were for first 20 minutes in the second half. We looked really poor and gave Shrewsbury a head start to go 1-0 up. Game was there for the taking. Another wasted opportunity 
    A season(s) of opportunities sums up Bowyer's Charlton.

Legend as a player no doubt but he is either, stubbon, thick or not a very good coach or manager of men. Sadly i suspect a combination of all of those.

Time to give someone else the keys.
  • Options
    We have improved over the last four games but what is glaringly obvious is that Forster caskey is the new Josh Cullen and when he doesn’t play we look flat
  • Options
    This exactly ! Fine play one of them but never ever both
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Poor team selection for the umpteenth time, how Maatsen keeps getting games is beyond me. Well played Washington. 
    Of all the dross we had out there, you pick on the guy who ran more than anyone else, made several saving tackles, set up Morgan for a clear chance, set up Stockley for a clear chance and got the assist?
    Gave the ball away a ton of times. Yeah he got an assist by making a simple pass, great. Main issue was Pratley/Watson but that's been mentioned enough already. 
    I thought he passed it more accurately than he has been doing. Some nice link play to get us going forward. I guess he has a reputation as someone who gives it away by now though
    I paid special attention to your latest "project".
    Maatsen gave the ball away nearly every single time he came forward, absolutely appalling.
    It's a total waste of everyone's time if you bomb forward at every opportunity, in order to pass the ball to the opposition. 
    Purrington is a better defender and on the basis that he doesn't give the ball away a better attacking option.
    I grant you that in the medium/long term Maatsen has potential to improve.
  • Options
    Is our pitch really bobbly cos the passing is beyond shit and I’m trying to fathom out a reason for our completely useless attempts at trying to pass the ball .
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Poor team selection for the umpteenth time, how Maatsen keeps getting games is beyond me. Well played Washington. 
    Of all the dross we had out there, you pick on the guy who ran more than anyone else, made several saving tackles, set up Morgan for a clear chance, set up Stockley for a clear chance and got the assist?
    Gave the ball away a ton of times. Yeah he got an assist by making a simple pass, great. Main issue was Pratley/Watson but that's been mentioned enough already. 
    I thought he passed it more accurately than he has been doing. Some nice link play to get us going forward. I guess he has a reputation as someone who gives it away by now though
    Maatsen gave the ball away nearly every single time he came forward, absolutely appalling.
    It's a total waste of everyone's time if you bomb forward at every opportunity, in order to pass the ball to the opposition. 
    Purrington is a better defender and on the basis that he doesn't give the ball away a better attacking option.
    Wasn't it Maatsen that set up the Stockley chance with a fine run and cut-back?
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    It all has the feel of the team that petered out under Chris Powell in 2011 (Benson, Anyinsah, Reid, Parrett, Stewart, Docherty, Dailly, Francis, Sullivan etc). 

It's not down to team selection anymore. The players, collectively, aren't good enough to pick up form and go on a serious run (just winning back to back games would be start). 
    Just reading some of those names has sent a chill down my spine! 

As others have said Watson + Pratley in central midfield is just not going to cut it from an attacking perspective - especially if one of the wide players is Morgan.

If we played two holding mids and then two wingers in Millar and Jayishemi then you could maybe excuse it but we are not doing that.

We were very lucky to get a point given the chances the Salops missed and we are headed for mid-table mediocrity.

Does Bowyer get to do the summer re-build? Well, that's a really tough one because Bowyer could argue quite rightly that he has never had a clear run at building a squad and has always been plugging holes under Roland and that baldy Manc twat.

Sandgaard came in after the season started and the January window is too late to really do anything but a couple of fill in purchases.

That's why it is so puzzling that Bowyer continues with Pratley and Watson rather than letting Morgan, Shinnie and Jayishemi have a crack and see what they can do.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    But he did have the third highest pass rate on the pitch, and created 2/3 of our best chances. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    But he did have the third highest pass rate on the pitch, and created 2/3 of our best chances. 
    Have you got a link to those stats please @Chunes?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    For the pass rate, I got it from the FotMob app, which I can't link to, unfortunately. For the chances, it was Maatsen's run and pass to Albie Morgan for his big chance. And again Maatsen's run and pass to Stockley for his chance. Checked that on the highlights.
  • Options
    I would like to see us play Maatsen left midfield with Purrington at left back. 
  • Options
    A comment earlier on about how none of the current players are good enough to be in our play off winning squad -  wasn't Pratley playing that day and Purrington scored. I don't get Purrington being frozen out, he's not a world beater but he's a pretty reliable left back for this level and he gets forward well. 

Though I have to say if we're talking about a massive clear out, there's a couple I'd keep (JFC, Washington) but no one I'd be that sorry to see go. Lawrie Wilson talking about that song on Saturday got me and my daughter thinking about who we have songs for out of this lot -  I know it's odd because there's no fans, but I can only think of Oshilaja out of the current squad, and Morgan if you count "he's one of our own". No connection to this squad at all.
  • Options
    Dont know if it has been said before on here,but all the time Watson and Pratley occupy midfield places,the opposition will have an extra man in midfield,simply because one man could mark these two as they offer no attacking threat.I am like others a bit concerned that our home players seemed to have dried up,now the play offs are probably gone,surely,Barker,Vennings Henry etc.should get the call over loan players.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    For the pass rate, I got it from the FotMob app, which I can't link to, unfortunately. For the chances, it was Maatsen's run and pass to Albie Morgan for his big chance. And again Maatsen's run and pass to Stockley for his chance. Checked that on the highlights.
    Thanks for the tip. I’ve downloaded the App. 👍
  • Options
    But apart from setting up two clear chances and assisting our goal, he probably lost the ball every single time he went forward, right?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leuth said:
    But apart from setting up two clear chances and assisting our goal, he probably lost the ball every single time he went forward, right?
    3 assists from how many attempts in total this season? He's a talented kid, but most not all of his runs forward end up with pony balls that go straight out of play or he shoots himself wasting possession and leaving himself way out of position to defend a break. To his credit he does often recover his position quickly, but others are dragged out whilst trying to cover two positions. (Only really a problem when Pratley or Pearce or both are defending in slow motion, will be less of an issue when Famewo is at LCB).

FWIW I thought he was fine on Saturday, the dropped points came from Millar being a changed man showing a lack of confidence refusing to take players on and deliver any decent crosses

Then we also had Stockley then Aneke not turning up. Had Stockley been in a finishing mood we could have been 2/3 up by half time.

We certainly should have scored from the Aneke chance too... That was bad from the 'main' man. 

If we start playing smarter football it will benefit Washington and Schwartz (who once again was not given a chance). 

I don't get why we're not playing Shinnie whenever Stockley is on the pitch either, their on field chemistry is clear. 4 goals/assists when they play together! 
  • Options
    [Chizz mode activated] Nah, that's 3 key passes in one game, a game in which it was alleged he lost the ball *every time* he went forward.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leuth said:
    [Chizz mode activated] Nah, that's 3 key passes in one game, a game in which it was alleged he lost the ball *every time* he went forward.
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    *Nearly every single time*

He had a decent game as per my post, but his return on getting forward isn't good enough. 

Against Shrewsbury:
    3 crosses - 1 accurate. 
    7 long balls - 3 accurate 
    3 key passes
    total passes 58 - 42 accurate passes (72%) That's 16 passes that turned over possession in a game, something Williams or Morgan etc would have gotten lambasted for in the first half of this season. I repeat, personally I thought he was decent. 

In total he's played 26 times, got 3 assists. 
    24 Key passes
    averaged 67% accuracy in passing
    had 12 shots, 3 on target
    13 accurate crosses all season. 72 attempted or 18% completed.

I could waste a lot of time in FotMob.