Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers | Tues 16 March | 7pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited March 2021 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers
Tuesday 16th March | Kick-Off: 19.00pm
Live on Valley Pass

Referee: Robert Madley (West Yorkshire) Previously officiated Charlton in our 3-1 home loss to Portsmouth after the postponement a few days earlier.

Previous Result: Bristol Rovers 0-1 Charlton Athletic (Forster-Caskey)

Introduction
Two points dropped on Saturday in the second of three consecutive home matches and the Addicks have still yet to win two games in a row since the end of October-beginning of November. A tough and well organised Shrewsbury side walked away with a point, but the two dropped for Charlton makes the chances of play-offs this season even more slim. Next up though and to round off those consecutive home games is a match that sums up this crazy and unprecedented season... It was 11.45am on Tuesday 15th December that the announcement was made that our match that evening was postponed due to a number of players and staff at Bristol Rovers required to self-isolate due to an outbreak of COVID-19 at Bristol Rovers. Lots has changed since then, but the goal remains the same. We must pick up 3 points this Tuesday evening.

Opposition
Manager: Joey Barton (40% win rate) 
Stadium: Memorial Stadium
League Position: 19th | Last 6: DWLWLL
Nickname(s): The Gas, The Pirates

Bristol Rovers played AFC Wimbledon at home on Saturday, drawing 0-0, their last line-up was:

Day
Williams | Kilgour | Baldwin
Rodman | Upson | McCormick | Leahy
Westbrooke | Nicholson
Ayunga

In my last preview for this fixture I wrote about the then new manager Paul Tisdale, who was only appointed on 19th November. That appointment lasted less than 3 months and was sacked on 10th February following a run of form that saw Bristol Rovers pick up 12 points from a possible 45 available. Since, a new manager we all know about has been given the task of keeping them in the division. Joey Barton was sacked from Fleetwood Town on 4th January but was only out of work for 7 weeks when he was made new Bristol Rovers manager on 22nd February. A team who goes through this many managers in a season rarely has any success, so it's no surprise that The Pirates find themselves only one point outside the relegation zone.

Form wise, Bristol Rovers have struggled immensely on the road. Failing to score in 6 of their last 7 away games, and the one they did score in they lost 6-1 to Accrington Stanley. In fact, scoring goals has been their biggest problem this season, failing to score in 15 of their 34 matches so far, and only our last opponents in a midweek fixture, Northampton Town, have scored fewer. Since the defeat to us back in January, they have picked up 12 points from just 16 matches and with 6 of the current top 8 to play between now and the end of the season, on paper The Pirates are up against it and could face walking the plank come May!

Player wise, they really shouldn't be in the position they are in. Bristol Rovers have some good League One quality across the pitch. Jack Baldwin was at Sunderland until the summer but was not in the squad on that incredible day nearly 22 months ago (where has the time gone?!). Max Ehmer had played every minute in the league until recently being dropped from the team, new manager Barton clearly is not such a fan. The tall German defender has made over 300 appearances across the last 10 years in League One, many of them for Gillingham until he left the outside toilet for the west country in July. In midfield, Zain Westbrooke is a talented player who was in the Coventry team that won promotion last season. Chertsey born, Westbrooke would start his development at Chelsea before moving to Brentford, working his way up to their B side. After failing to break through, he'd find a new home in Coventry for a couple years and has since moved further west to Bristol Rovers. He may not score many, but he has the technical ability to find the pass to someone who may be more dangerous. Further back in midfield is another experienced player, Ed Upson. Another with around 300 League One appearances, Upson played for 4 different clubs at this level. The type of midfielder who keeps a team ticking over, always making himself available, always trying to look for the forward pass or the strikers movement in behind the defence. But also the midfielder who has the job to break up play. If we manage to keep him quiet, it will massively help reduce the service into the forward players, allowing us more control in midfield and able to express ourselves better. Up front, I think we all know of Brandon Hanlan, the former Addicks academy striker is another who moved from Gillingham to Bristol Rovers in the summer, but its Nicholson who has played more regularly since Barton came in. The Scotsman signed for The Gas in July from Colorado Rapids, the closest team to Mr Sandgaard's home in the US. 

Charlton Team News
Ryan Inniss and Alex Gilbey returned to full training for the Addicks last week meaning only Adam Matthews and Jake Forster-Caskey remain out or doubtful with hamstring problems of their own. Back in the original fixture, we had been decimated with injuries and suspensions, but this time round, thankfully the vast majority of the squad is available for selection.

With many of the players looking leggy on Saturday, you would expect Bowyer to try and freshen things up. Could Purrington come in from the cold and replace young Ian Maatsen at left-back? We surely won't see a midfield two of Pratley and Watson for this one, so is Smith or Shinnie likely to return, or both? Albie Morgan looked shattered by the time he came off on Saturday so is unlikely to start again. Millar was ineffective at the weekend but is unlikely to miss out. Up front Stockley could be rotated with Aneke and partner the in form Conor Washington, whilst it's likely Ronnie Schwartz is going to continue his place on the bench. 

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Oshilaja, Pratley, Morgan, Jaiyesemi, Stockley, Schwartz

Prediction
8 points from the last 4 matches is good form but we have had great opportunities to have made it 12 points, with the saved penalty against Oxford United and a game against Shrewsbury Town where we really ought to have been taking all 3 points. Those extra 4 points would see us sit joint 5th and looking and feeling a lot more positive. All we can do now though is continue the solid base we have created and kick on again. This game is starting to feel like a must win, and I think we will too...

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Bristol Rovers
Aneke
Millar

Comments

• Options
    We've got a good record against Bristol Rovers so think we'll come out on top in this one.

Think we realistically needed six points from these two games

Going to be curious to see how many changes there will be what with the "tired" remark yesterday
  • Options
    Like that line up. If JFC & Matthews were available I would have them in for Gunter & Watson. Can we grind out a narrow win? 
    Maybe but my confidence has wained significantly and it will take a performance of the season and convincing win to restore the hope. 1-0. Chuck's.
  • Options
    Thanks @Sage Great insight in to the Bristol side. 

Considering the poor run we were on for so long, quite incredible that those extra 4 points recently would have seen us 6th and 2 points clear of 7th. Yes, those around would still have games in hand, but they have to pick up those points too which some aren’t doing with those they have to spare.

Good feeling about this, mostly because of the confidence Washington is currently enjoying, fancy him to add at least one more to his goal tally. 
  • Options
    If Bowyer is going to remain in place then I think he should concentrate on the players he is looking to keep for next season. 
    Realistically the playoffs have now passed us by so planning for next season is our priority. 
    Pointless playing players who will not be here next season so just concentrate on the ones he intends to keep.
    1 . 1 Draw
  • Options
    We’ll win this one I think.  Don’t think it will be pretty, but we’ll win it. 

FA’s comment about players being tired is an interesting one.  It may mean Bowyer goes back to 4 or 5 changes.

I see Sage left out Pratley.  He never gets tired so I expect him to play ;-) 
  • Options
    Hate to go on and on and on but I'm slightly confused about how you went from 'some of the players looked leggy' to immediately dropping the one guy who covered every blade of grass down the left side, rather than the guy in front of him, who did look a bit leggy tbh
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Hate to go on and on and on but I'm slightly confused about how you went from 'some of the players looked leggy' to immediately dropping the one guy who covered every blade of grass down the left side, rather than the guy in front of him, who did look a bit leggy tbh
    Because Maatsen has been rested from time to time and is only young. Bowyer has already explained this so for a midweek fixture, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Bowyer bring in Purrington and allow Maatsen the full week to prepare for the weekend against AFC Wimbledon. That’s why I went for that. Millar also was taken off for looking leggy and being ineffective. He was very good against Bristol Rovers and would assume he would start again. He also sometimes plays better with Purrington at left back.
  • Options
    I think if anyone needs a rest it's Millar. I also think he should be on the bench just in case we're playing badly and need to change it. Give DJ a start.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Leuth said:
    Because Maatsen has been rested from time to time and is only young. Bowyer has already explained this so for a midweek fixture, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Bowyer bring in Purrington and allow Maatsen the full week to prepare for the weekend against AFC Wimbledon. That’s why I went for that. Millar also was taken off for looking leggy and being ineffective. He was very good against Bristol Rovers and would assume he would start again. He also sometimes plays better with Purrington at left back.
    In fairness Maatsen has looked shaky since he's started being rested. 

I'd be tempted to really mess with my own head (and the whole not playing players out of position thing) and go with something like this tomorrow...

Amos
    Gunter - Famewo - Pearce - Purrington
    Jaiyesimi - Shinnie - Watson - Maatsen
    Stockley - Schwartz
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This will be drab, slow, dull, disjointed and unconvincing.

We cannot keep picking two central midfielders who are both incapable of running. Even in the bad old Parky days we had Nicky Bailly.

Let's get some hungry youngsters in, fill them with confidence and start preparing for next season.

The club's beginning to look like a donkey sanctuary. 

1-1
  • Options
    Seem like the whole of this division is one giant relegation zone.
    3:2 to the snobs
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Don't forget if you paid for VP,  for the postponed  game it is still valid, if you did not claim a refund.
    Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten 
  • Options
    5 - 0 to the Addicks
    Inside info Bowyers going to Birmingham 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Think we might get a decent performance for once . JFC should play instead of Watson and Aneke could replace Stockley.  2-0 Washington and Chuks .
  • Options
    Amos, Pearce, Famewo and Gunter will play.  As for the rest, perm any 7 from the other 19 fit players.

Without JFC I can't see us scoring more than one and conceding less than one.  That says something in its self, hardly peek Stevie G is he?

1-1 and everyone else conspires to still leave us within touching distance of the play offs before Saturday's must win game. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    There is an argument to be made for giving the reigns to the players. Not a long term solution possibly, but it might have a short term benefit. JJ (If the players get on with him) and Pearce for example. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chris Parkes
  • Options
    I’m going 7-0 home win now. 
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Don't forget if you paid for VP,  for the postponed  game it is still valid, if you did not claim a refund.
    can't remember if I did or not....and just purchased again now (if I did!)
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    This was a game I would have been at, if it wasn't for the postponement! I did get to see the MKD defeat though, so I had my "Valley fix" for the season
  • Options
    3-1 Knowing a new man is coming in later this week and may be watching will gee them up. Would love JJ to chalk up a managerial win regardless of whether he is acting etc.

Goals from Chuks, Washington and DJ
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:
    Leuth said:
    In fairness Maatsen has looked shaky since he's started being rested. 

I'd be tempted to really mess with my own head (and the whole not playing players out of position thing) and go with something like this tomorrow...

Amos
    Gunter - Famewo - Pearce - Purrington
    Jaiyesimi - Shinnie - Watson - Maatsen
    Stockley - Schwartz
    Screw this. Let's really mix it up. 

Amos
    Famewo - Famewo - Famewo - Famewo
    Jaiyesimi - Shinnie - Morgan - Millar
    Washington - Schwartz
  • Options
    Can't wait to see the reaction from the team, 5-0 Charlton. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    rananegra said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten 

Have just been sent a code to activate the stream.