Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer wants JJ as his assistant at Birmingham

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Heard this evening Jacko and Marshall not keen on moving family etc to Birmingham. 

Pardew hasn’t aged well.
    That’s @blackpool72
    Bollox.
    You recognised me.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    cfgs said:
    Bowyer talked about his love and passion for Charlton, but JJ lives it. Ever since he arrived he has been the heartbeat of the team, firstly as a player and captain, then as a coach. If you want proof of how much he cares look at his reaction to the winner at Wembley.

If he leaves I wish him all the best and thank him, but I hope he stays.
    And he told Pratley that he saw his future at Charlton, with the long term aim of being manager. (I have no ITK knowledge normally, but actually heard him explaining his love for Charlton to Pratley on the train back from Sunderland in 2018)
    I feel if he’s offered a role by a new manager he’d take it over joining Bowyer, all day long. 
  • Options
    10 plus years ago NA would have been in his prime, and a great signing

(No I’m not saying we should have got him instead of Chris Powell).

But his stock was pretty high.

But now? I’m not so sure is he yesterday’s man? I can’t even remember the last few clubs he’s managed without looking them up, would prefer JJ than NA.
    But he was managing not that long ago. His record is actually very good if you do look it up, and he ticks a lot of other boxes too. Might be a good person for JJ to learn from? Really can’t see TS gambling on JJ as he’s too ambitious to take a risk like that. 
  • Options
    Given Sandgaard's ambition to achieve premier league status within 5 years , do we believe that Adkins is the man for the job ?
  • Options

But now? I’m not so sure is he yesterday’s man? I can’t even remember the last few clubs he’s managed without looking them up, would prefer JJ than NA.
    So you are firmly in the "No" camp re Curbs returning then?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    The article doesn’t actually back up the headline. It’s just a rehash of Johnnies comments last night. 
    And only because the journalist asked the question direct.

It's only Jacko's response of sorts to that. And an effort by the journo to try and create a story.

• Options
    Haven't kept up to date this evening with the news/rumours regarding our new man at the helm but from what I read earlier,
    Nigel Adkins might be The One.

Do I remember someone posting on here that he was a cousin of Nigel Adkins ....... ?

If so, he's ITK.

PS: @Dazzler21 - get ready. :smile:

• Options
    Considering Adkins normal assistant has only just gone to port vale i think its likely he will go with jacko with him till the end of the season see how there relationship and things go and then decide if he will ask his former man to join up or stick with jacko
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great post @Fanny Fanackapan

JJ at Birmingham, just sounds so wrong.

IF it was Adkins, then JJ could learn so much under Nads.  He would be a great mentor plus he has a great attitude.

Thomas said he wants to make a quick decision so tell JJ you still want him at the club to carry on learning under a more experienced manager than Bowyer. 

12 years of all things Charlton Athletic shouldn't be lost at this stage. 10 games to go, it would be madness to let JJ leave now and the new manager not knowing the players well.

Adkins doesn't have a staff so it would be paramount that he has a right hand man who knows the set up and all the players.

Adkins may be a non starter but 1/6 normally win races.
    Plus he went in at a Southampton and integrated his own men (Crosby) with those already at St Marys (Dean Wilkins), who was the caretaker much like JJ, to double promotions. 
  • Options
    Given Sandgaard's ambition to achieve premier league status within 5 years , do we believe that Adkins is the man for the job ?
    Surely with Sandgaard's long term plan ........ the object is continuity?

That means a manager with the right blend of know-how and experience is essential to get the ball rolling.
    Then a vibrant younger assistant learning on the job and being groomed as an eventual successor.

Several clubs adopted this philosophy back in the day - Liverpool being a famous example, with a successful backroom management dynasty starting with Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, etc.

Is this perhaps what Thomas has in mind?

• Options
    edited March 2021

So you are firmly in the "No" camp re Curbs returning then?
    No , not really , i'd rather have Curbs than NA , but then i wouldn't want anything to go wrong for Curbs , which would sully (not Solly) what he'd done for us before.
  • Options
    Maybe a director of football role for Adkins with JJ as head coach would be an interesting way forward.
  • Options
    I would hate having curbs back and for people to get on his case , anytime things went wrong, i love curbs to bits, met and spoke to him a few times at supporters meetings, even went to a book signing, which wasn't particularly well attended , which was lucky for me , as i got to have a long chat with him.

• Options
    Curbs isn't getting any younger and he looks very well. He doesn't seem short of a few bob so not sure a manager's job would be best for him. He might be tempted, but you only have one life. 

He really seems to enjoy meeting up with his old players and finding out new things! Not to say he couldn't help. It would be a shame not to use his knowledge banks, but Curbs is a Charlton Legend on the front page of Charlton legends and that is where he belongs. And we need that stand named after him too.
  • Options
    Curbs would get cut a bit more slack than NA if things went wrong , i think its all a bit irrelevent because Curbs ain't coming back!!!!
  • Options
    Breaking news... Curbs named as manager on Friday, JJ assistant manager :wink:
  • Options
    BBC says Adkins has it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if JJ was told that he is seen as a Charlton manager in years to come. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    One thing is for sure. JJ had a choice of assistant manager at Birmingham or Charlton and chose Charlton. I think it is wise. I recall that some unfairly blamed Mervyn Day whenever we had a poor run under Curbs, and that would probably be the case at Birmingham too.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I have heard from someone in the know that  JJ is blocking LBs texts and has unfriended him on Facebook.  What a bitch.
    Lol, they are grown men for fucks sake, unfriended him on Facebook!! Ooooooooo
    woosh
    Yeah right, so you delete the joke
  • Options
    One thing is for sure. JJ had a choice of assistant manager at Birmingham or Charlton and chose Charlton. I think it is wise. I recall that some unfairly blamed Mervyn Day whenever we had a poor run under Curbs, and that would probably be the case at Birmingham too.
    This really is quite telling IMO

It's nothing to do with us being "comfy slippers" - I hope Jacko can see a plan.

It is most definitely not sour grapes of me saying this but Birmingham City are an absolute clusterfuck at the moment.  They are now where we were a few years ago.