Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Seasons Squad

Comments

• Options
    I’d start by using the statbank averages. Sometimes players get unfair reputations for things like consistency based on a couple of incidents, while other players get away with poor performances based on reputation. 
    The statbank doesn’t lie.
  • Options
    I am very surprised at the number of you who would ditch Ben Amos.....I don’t think he has done much wrong.
    Very curios?
    I think it's curios that you would like to keep him.
    If I'm going to be kind I would say he is poor.
    If I'm going to say what I really think then he's shite. 
    Need a much better keeper for next season if we are going to get promoted. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    I understanding keeping players like Purrington and Gunter as they’re under contract but why also keep the likes of Deji and Pearce? One isn’t consistent enough to be a CB in a promotion winning side and the other is coming forwards the end of his career. I’m sure we could find better than both of them. Keep too many squad level players and we’re not going to improve.
    If you take the loans out we already need 6 players to have a 25 man squad.  Assuming there are at least 3 you can't/won't get to re sign.  You already at 9.

Like I said it depends on who you get as to who you keep.  I would be happy with Oshilaja as 5th choice CB and 2nd choice right back, for example.

If we signed the right 6 players, 2 center backs, a left back, a midfielder, a winger and a striker.  Who are better than what we currently have I would actually keep everyone we currently have, if the wage bill made it practical. 
    If we’re going to give youth a chance then it doesn’t make sense to have 5 CBs. I doubt Oshilaja would stay knowing he’s being kept around to be occasional cover. It’s unlikely we’ll have four out at one time like we did this season, that shouldn’t be seen as normal.

Keeping him as second choice RB means Gunter continues as first choice - for me that’s one position we definitely need to improve on.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    I understanding keeping players like Purrington and Gunter as they’re under contract but why also keep the likes of Deji and Pearce? One isn’t consistent enough to be a CB in a promotion winning side and the other is coming forwards the end of his career. I’m sure we could find better than both of them. Keep too many squad level players and we’re not going to improve.
    If you take the loans out we already need 6 players to have a 25 man squad.  Assuming there are at least 3 you can't/won't get to re sign.  You already at 9.

Like I said it depends on who you get as to who you keep.  I would be happy with Oshilaja as 5th choice CB and 2nd choice right back, for example.

If we signed the right 6 players, 2 center backs, a left back, a midfielder, a winger and a striker.  Who are better than what we currently have I would actually keep everyone we currently have, if the wage bill made it practical. 
    If we’re going to give youth a chance then it doesn’t make sense to have 5 CBs. I doubt Oshilaja would stay knowing he’s being kept around to be occasional cover. It’s unlikely we’ll have four out at one time like we did this season, that shouldn’t be seen as normal.

Keeping him as second choice RB means Gunter continues as first choice - for me that’s one position we definitely need to improve on.
    There is only any point giving youth a chance if the youth is a good enough and b physical able.

If say Mingi can step up and be the back up DM, or even start, and be the 5th choice CB brilliant that means Pratley can go.  If Inniss is one of our 4 center backs we certainly do need a 5th

Like said it depends who you can get in as to who you keep.  We need to get some real quality.  A lot of people talk about the Powell summer rebuild but we need the Hollands, Stephens, Morrison and Yanns not the Alonso, Evina, Sullivan and Russells we have plenty of them already. 
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    I am very surprised at the number of you who would ditch Ben Amos.....I don’t think he has done much wrong.
    Very curios?
    What after all those long range shots that went in to the centre of the goal?
    WTF are you talking about......there was one, which evidently swerved like hell.
    If you’re going to criticise then try and sound feasable.
    Take a look at them again. Centre of the goal. 
  • Options
    Very curios?
    I think he let's in too many soft goals and I suspect he doesn't have the confidence from his defense 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Very curios?
    I think he let's in too many soft goals and I suspect he doesn't have the confidence from his defense 
    I bet if you were to tally up his players marks so far this season they would be pretty impressive and his average amongst the top three or four in the squad.
    I don’t rave about him but I do think he’s not disgraced himself by any means and has been a valuable asset to the squad.
    Anyway.....he’s out of contract shortly, so we’ll have to wait and see what gives.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    lolwray said:
    Very curios?
    I bet if you were to tally up his players marks so far this season they would be pretty impressive and his average amongst the top three or four in the squad.
    I don’t rave about him but I do think he’s not disgraced himself by any means and has been a valuable asset to the squad.
    Anyway.....he’s out of contract shortly, so we’ll have to wait and see what gives.
    His average on the Statbank is 6.51 which is sixth overall behind Famewo, Forster-Caskey, Stockley, Aneke and Inniss.

Kind of says a lot about the squad as whole if only seven players can get that average above 6 and a half.
  • Options
    For me Albie would be a definite keeper, and fortunately he will be.  Forster-Caskey I hope re-signs.

Aneke I'm indifferent about.  Rarely manages more than a 45 minute performance.  He is one of our better players but I'd rather have Piggott, if we're upping someone's wages to a high L1 level.  Pearce I'd definitely keep, but again dependent on wages.  I don't think any of our players' deserve pay parity or increase, barring Forster-Caskey.  I like Amos and don't think hardly any of the goals are his fault, but again his wages request he needs to realistic.  Of course this is on the assumption we don't get promoted.  Even then they shouldn't be offered more.
  • Options
    Very curios?
    Our first act of self harm this season was when LB decided to let Phillips fester on the bench and made Amos the number one.

I’ve been saying for a number of weeks that during our poor run of form, Amos was somehow avoiding criticism, given that we’ve been letting in goals for fun and he hardly ever makes a save. Funny how all these other clubs have been scoring worldies against us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Innis is the only one of the back 5 I should keep. The rest I would clear out. Those who want to keep the majority of this defence are bonkers 
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    For me Albie would be a definite keeper, and fortunately he will be.  Forster-Caskey I hope re-signs.

Aneke I'm indifferent about.  Rarely manages more than a 45 minute performance.  He is one of our better players but I'd rather have Piggott, if we're upping someone's wages to a high L1 level.  Pearce I'd definitely keep, but again dependent on wages.  I don't think any of our players' deserve pay parity or increase, barring Forster-Caskey.  I like Amos and don't think hardly any of the goals are his fault, but again his wages request he needs to realistic.  Of course this is on the assumption we don't get promoted.  Even then they shouldn't be offered more.
    There's no way that's happening. He'd fail the height test for a start.
  • Options
    Time for a clear out... 

On the list to GO

Amos
    Gunter
    Maatsen
    Purrington
    Deji
    Pearce
    Famewo
    Watson
    Pratley
    Gilbey
    Smith
    Millar

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Innis is the only one of the back 5 I should keep. The rest I would clear out. Those who want to keep the majority of this defence are bonkers 
    Being realistic though. Inniss is probably the only one I’d want as first team but Gunter, Oshilija, Pearce, Purrington is an ok back up defence. I think it’s bonkers for us to sign four better full backs than Gunter or Purrington. We might have more money to spend than in a long time but it’s not a bottomless pit. 
  • Options
    I cant believe the number of people say Famwoe can go ! Ok he made a bad mistake last time out but that happens. The bloke is quality imo and will end up in the Premiership I'm sure
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I cant believe the number of people say Famwoe can go ! Ok he made a bad mistake last time out but that happens. The bloke is quality imo and will end up in the Premiership I'm sure
    He's made quite a few mistakes since returning, but if we can afford him I'd buy him up right away.
  • Options

The Professional Footballers' Association has said it will have to consider legal action if the English Football League does not scrap its proposed limits on squad sizes.

Under the proposals, teams in the Championship will be able to name a 25-man squad while those in Leagues One and Two will be restricted to 20.

The PFA wants teams at all three levels to be allowed to name 25-man squads.

The union said that suggestion has been rejected by the EFL.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56666478

• Options
    Why the difference, all three divisons play 46 games. Oh well it is the EFL making this decision.
  • Options
    I think at least two youngsters from the U23's will be in and around the team next season.
  • Options
    I think at least two youngsters from the U23's will be in and around the team next season.
    I think so too, Adkins well known for that and I'm sure the importance of the Academy's involvement in the first team has been pressed upon him by Sandgaard. Anyone know of Barker's performances this season since his short stint in the first team?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:

The Professional Footballers' Association has said it will have to consider legal action if the English Football League does not scrap its proposed limits on squad sizes.

Under the proposals, teams in the Championship will be able to name a 25-man squad while those in Leagues One and Two will be restricted to 20.

I'm not over bothered by that EFL rule, as it doesn't count U21 players

• Options
    clive said:

At least the rule should be u23 level?
  • Options
    clive said:

The only beneficiaries of such a rule are the smaller clubs, and mostly at the expense of players.
    Less earning a wage and more chance of getting an injury.
    Suggest that if squads are smaller we should have less clubs in the league to reduce the number of fixtures and then see how popular the suggestion is.
  • Options
    bump for the 2022/2023 season. 
  • Options
    I thought we might be over having a massive churn every summer but it seems not. Hopefully this close season will see the back of it. 
  • Options
    Stockley and Fraser are the only two who should stay. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Stockley and Fraser are the only two who should stay. 
    I’d add Dobson,Washington and Lavelle to that. Aneke too probably 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    bump for the 2022/2023 season. 
    I'm not sure on the other young players but I'm about here:

TypePositionPlayerStay/Go    Comments
    PermGKMacGillivrayKeep
    PermGKHendersonRelease/RTS
    PermGKMaynard-BrewerKeep
    PermGKHarnessLoan Out
    PermRBMatthewsRelease/RTS
    PermRBGunterRelease/RTS
    PermRCBLavelleKeep
    PermRCBInnissUndecided    depends on injury
    PermLCBPearceRelease/RTS
    LoanLCBFamewoRelease/RTS
    PermLBPurringtonKeep
    PermLBSouareRelease/RTS
    LoanLBCastilloRelease/RTS
    PermRMJaiyesimiKeep
    LoanRMLekoRelease/RTS
    PermRMB.TaylorKeep
    PermCMDobsonKeep
    PermCMClareKeep
    PermCMForster-CaskeyUndecided    depends on injury
    LoanCMJohnRelease/RTS
    PermCMFraserKeep
    PermCMMorganLoan Out
    PermCMGilbeyRelease/RTS
    LoanCMLeeRelease/RTS
    PermCMWatsonRelease/RTS
    PermLMKirkUndecided    depends on where he is mentally or if Blackpool offer enough!
    PermFWWashingtonUndecided    depends on injury
    PermFWStockleyUndecided    depends on injury
    PermFWAnekeUndecided    depends on injury
    LoanFWBurstowRelease/RTS
    PermFWDavisonUndecided

So that's  15 players out from me! 2 Loaned out, 13 release/return to sender and another 7 that I could see going either way depending on how the season plays out.

Just to confirm that'd leave us with 2 GK, 0 RB, 1-2 CB, 1 LB, 2 RM, 3-4 CM, 0-1 LM, 0-5 FW. (Max 16 to stay) 

I thought maybe 8 players were needed, but it's looking like a minimum of 12 needed. 
  • Options
    10 "Johnny Jacksons" and a goalie.

• Options
    GK: Macgillivray, Maynard-Brewer
    RB: New, New
    CB: Lavelle, New
    CB: New, Elewere
    LB: New, Purrington
    CDM: Dobson, New
    RM: New, Jaiyesimi
    CM: New, Gilbey
    CM, Fraser, Forster-Caskey
    LM: New, New
    ST: Stockley, Aneke
    ST: New, Washington

Extra squad players: Clare, Morgan

This is my honest/realistic assessment of the squad as it stands, taking into account who we have on the books, budget and who we won't be able to offload. 

If we utilise the loan market that's 5 positions filled, maybe someone like Clayden, Campbell or AN. Other steps up from the youth to fill a gap, so we'd need to sign 4 or 5 on permanent deals.

In an ideal world I'd want better than Gilbey, Purrington and Macgillivray but given they're on contracts next season I believe all 3 will be a part of next season