Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Seasons Squad

124»

Comments

• Options
    If the genuine aim is promotion to the championship with a squad that would stand half a chance of surviving there (the SCP logic a decade ago) and if TS has the resources to go for it then I would genuinely only keep Dobson and Fraser (just a hunch) from our current squad. The rest are bog standard league 1 players (yes, I’m including our current much lauded absentees in that list). Back on planet Earth, if we are to make a fist of a promotion attempt next year and worry about the championship when we get there, in addition to Dobson and Fraser I’d keep Stockley and Washington (on the basis that we’d sign a couple of better strikers) and I guess we’re stuck with Aneke. I’d also offer Innes a pay as you play deal. The rest can all go forth and multiply as far as I’m concerned.  

None of the above will happen of course and we’ll be stuck with a fair few of our current squad who are in contracts that won’t be terminated. MacG, Gilbey, CBT, Albie, Lavelle, DJ etc. However they can surely only be squad options if we are to be credible promotion candidates.  The test for Jacko (if he somehow survives) will be which of our out of contract/loan crop he seeks to keep. If Matthews, Gunter Purrington, Lee, Famewo etc get offered new deals, I’m out. Couldn’t go another season of mediocrity with the same old faces. 
    Therefore not so much, "I'm Charlton  'till I die" as "I'm Charlton 'till I'm bored".
    Fair challenge @addick1956. I should have worded  that differently in my frustration. Once an Addick, always an Addick. It is getting harder though!  
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Jonniesta said:
    Let's assume we're playing wing-backs next season (otherwise why we're persisting with them now I have no idea): 
    GK: not blown away by Mac this year, so AM-B starts. Mac can stay as back up, though. Competition is good. I'd have the best performing keeper as starter. 
    CB: Quite happy to start again. They all have weaknesses. Lavelle has to prove his place for the season remainder, but the rest are gone. Inniss is just too fragile, even if he is certainly good enough. Playing him every other game disrupts the team too much, so he's either fully in or he has to go. Elerewe and Ness would be good to see on occasion. Agree on Elerewe & Ness, I think Lavelle is decent enough. I think Bakrin shouldn't be ignored either he and Elerewe are very similar players from what I have seen and he might have even caught up. 
    CDM: perfectly happy with Dobson and Clare as back up here. Would make Dobson captain. Not sure about captaining Dobson depending on the incomings. 
    LWB: am a Purrington defender, but since Jacko's been made permanent we haven't seen much positive. You would never buy him to play in this formation, so with a thankful heart for Wembley I'll say goodbye. Castillo it's too soon to tell. But basically it's a case of start again. Purr has been alright at LWB, but think we need new. 
    RWB: DJ is a decent option from the bench, but not creative enough to start. Basically start again. Not a WB, but has done a job. Would keep as an option too. Same goes for CBT. 
    CM: Fraser, JFC, possibly Gilbey (depends on how he finishes the season), but need another  Gilbey?! 
    CF: I'm fine with Stockley, Washington, Aneke... if their fitness issues are temporary. But need a 4th senior striker. You'd have to offload at least one of those, probably Washington