Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Seasons Squad

Comments

• Options
    Purrington is out of contract. Whether we keep him as a squad player comes down to the system we'll be playing. If Jackson continues as manager and sticks with 3-5-2 then it makes more sense to bring in a couple of genuine left wing backs.
  • Options
    I think at least two youngsters from the U23's will be in and around the team next season.
    I think so too, Adkins well known for that and I'm sure the importance of the Academy's involvement in the first team has been pressed upon him by Sandgaard. Anyone know of Barker's performances this season since his short stint in the first team?
    Not lived up to early promise I believe. Solid enough though. Possibly a bit small for CB as well. Has often started in the bench iirc. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Purrington is out of contract. Whether we keep him as a squad player comes down to the system we'll be playing. If Jackson continues as manager and sticks with 3-5-2 then it makes more sense to bring in a couple of genuine left wing backs.
    ah i thought he was on another year. make that another signing then
  • Options
    If the genuine aim is promotion to the championship with a squad that would stand half a chance of surviving there (the SCP logic a decade ago) and if TS has the resources to go for it then I would genuinely only keep Dobson and Fraser (just a hunch) from our current squad. The rest are bog standard league 1 players (yes, I’m including our current much lauded absentees in that list). Back on planet Earth, if we are to make a fist of a promotion attempt next year and worry about the championship when we get there, in addition to Dobson and Fraser I’d keep Stockley and Washington (on the basis that we’d sign a couple of better strikers) and I guess we’re stuck with Aneke. I’d also offer Innes a pay as you play deal. The rest can all go forth and multiply as far as I’m concerned.  

None of the above will happen of course and we’ll be stuck with a fair few of our current squad who are in contracts that won’t be terminated. MacG, Gilbey, CBT, Albie, Lavelle, DJ etc. However they can surely only be squad options if we are to be credible promotion candidates.  The test for Jacko (if he somehow survives) will be which of our out of contract/loan crop he seeks to keep. If Matthews, Gunter Purrington, Lee, Famewo etc get offered new deals, I’m out. Couldn’t go another season of mediocrity with the same old faces. 
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with some squad players being L1 level. Powell had players like Sullivan, Evina, Doherty and Euell in the squad, and as important as they were Taylor, Hayes, Hollands, Wagstaff, Green, BWP etc didn't really step up to the Championship.

We need to replace those that move on first choice players to give us a core who will be comfortable in the Championship. Powell had the likes of Yann, Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Stephens and Wiggins. Bowyer had Taylor, Aribo, Bauer, Bielik, Cullen and Grant (for half a season). At the moment we barely have anyone in that category other than Fraser and maybe a few others such as Dobson and Stockley if they grow in a new team.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    GK: Macgillivray, Maynard-Brewer
    RB: New, New
    CB: Lavelle, New
    CB: New, Elewere
    LB: New, Purrington
    CDM: Dobson, New
    RM: New, Jaiyesimi
    CM: New, Gilbey
    CM, Fraser, Forster-Caskey
    LM: New, New
    ST: Stockley, Aneke
    ST: New, Washington

Extra squad players: Clare, Morgan

This is my honest/realistic assessment of the squad as it stands, taking into account who we have on the books, budget and who we won't be able to offload. 

If we utilise the loan market that's 5 positions filled, maybe someone like Clayden, Campbell or AN. Other steps up from the youth to fill a gap, so we'd need to sign 4 or 5 on permanent deals.

In an ideal world I'd want better than Gilbey, Purrington and Macgillivray but given they're on contracts next season I believe all 3 will be a part of next season

Why that squad though (balance wise)? Do we need 6 CM's and 4 wingers?
  • Options
    GK - Mac, AMB
    RB/RWB - New with DJ as cover
    LB/LWB - New with Purrington as cover
    CB - 2 New with Lavelle/Famewo/Deji and Clare to compete.
    CDM - Dobson/NEW
    CM - NEW, Gilbey, JFC, Fraser plus Clare who can cover
    STR - one more to join Stockley, Aneke and Washington

I'd also keep CBT as the spare player if you like. 

That's 16 players if you include the permanent signing of Famewo. 7 quality players needed and nobody has to be U21 with the above. 
  • Options
    To me Famewo showed last season when playing in a 4 that he was good enough. I can see him returning to that level in a confident well organised team.
  • Options
    To me Famewo showed last season when playing in a 4 that he was good enough. I can see him returning to that level in a confident well organised team.
    I do feel a back four suits him more than a back three where as one of the wider CBs he needs to be more composed on the ball and play out from the back. Will be interesting to see where he ends up - I doubt it'll be a possession based side like MK Dons or Oxford.
  • Options
    GK - Mac, AMB
    CDM - Dobson/NEW

That's 16 players if you include the permanent signing of Famewo. 7 quality players needed and nobody has to be U21 with the above. 
    That is all grim reading. You’re Including JFc who hasn’t played for nearly a year, Gilbey who adds absolutely nothing and Clare who is bang average in midfield. Also what’s the fascination in carrying on with purrington? very average player who we seem to over play every single year. 

all three strikers you have mentioned won’t get us up either, Washington gets injured far too often and doesn’t score anywhere near enough goals, aneke who is in that same category of being made out of glass, then we are back to the same issue of having stockley as the only main striker alongside whoever the other might be..  this squad genuinely needs a total clear out apart from Dobson, Fraser, stockley, lavelle aneke and elewere. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    GK - Mac, AMB
    CDM - Dobson/NEW

That is all grim reading. You’re Including JFc who hasn’t played for nearly a year, Gilbey who adds absolutely nothing and Clare who is bang average in midfield. Also what’s the fascination in carrying on with purrington? very average player who we seem to over play every single year. 

all three strikers you have mentioned won’t get us up either, Washington gets injured far too often and doesn’t score anywhere near enough goals, aneke who is in that same category of being made out of glass, then we are back to the same issue of having stockley as the only main striker alongside whoever the other might be..  this squad genuinely needs a total clear out apart from Dobson, Fraser, stockley, lavelle aneke and elewere. 
    Washington has a better goals-to-games ratio than Macauley Bonne and if he'd stayed fit, likely would have have scored more or similar. I'm not his biggest fan, tbh I find his one-on-one misses infuriating at times, but if we can't find better then he's not a bad option and he tries at least. I think he is just a League One-standard striker, as Bonne is.

I agree about Gilbey and Purrington. The latter has to go, he's not a wingback, he can't run at players, he doesn't have a good cross, he's not what we need in that position. Unfortunate that Gilbey is here for another year and is clearly a JJ favourite, I think he gets away with a lot. Clare is another one who could be better but he at least works hard and is versatile. 

ed- I have concerns about RWB as well. Neither DJ or CBT are natural to that position and it shows. 
  • Options

In order of preference 1st choice, 2nd choice etc…

GK

AMB, Macca 

RCB

NEW, Clare 

CB 

Lavelle, NEW, Pearce (only as player/coach) 

LCB

NEW, NEW(Famewo?) 

RWB 

NEW, DJ, CBT

CM

NEW (JFC?), Gilbey 

CM 

Dobson, NEW

CM 

Fraser, NEW 

LWB 

NEW, NEW, CBT

ST

Stockley, Aneke, NEW

ST 

NEW, Washington 

Loan out

Morgan, Davison 

Release/Sell: Purrington, Matthews, Gunter, Inniss, Watson, Souare, Henderson, Lee (L) Leko (L), John (L), Castillo (L), Kirk 

So probably need around 11/12 signings (7 starters) but a couple of those could be famewo and JFC if he can get fit and playing. Think we definitely need a better first choice left footed option than Famewo but still worth signing, for a young backup he’s a decent option. If we have Aneke and Washington we probably need 5 strikers as both are good but too injury prone

• Options
    edited February 2022
    We started 11/12 with BWP, Hayes, Euell, Benson and Smith. 

Stockley, Washington and Aneke are plenty good enough to be part of a promotion squad. We need a fourth to join them in the mix and then 5th/6th choice would be Kanu/Campbell.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Not sure about keeping players on as coaches, when they haven't proven themselves, is such a good idea. Might seem unfair, but I'd try to find experienced coaches, perhaps ones who have played at a higher level, to work with the squad. If someone like Pearce can prove himself as a coach further down the line by having done a good job elsewhere, then bring him back by all means.
    It can also seem a bit too cosy having ex player fans' favourites as manager. I know CP was a great success, but he could be the exception that proves the rule. JJ's trying his best, but he's learning on the job, and we need results fast, not after he's developed his managerial skills. Again, let him develop elsewhere, and bring him back in a few years if he's proved himself.
    I'd be happy to get an experienced manager who'd bring his own coaches in with him if necessary.

My squad retention list would be:

AMB (as backup initially).
    Lavelle
    Inniss only on a pay per play deal
    Dobson*
    CBT DJ (Wingers if playing 442, which we should be doing, at least sometimes.)
    Fraser*
    Stockley*, Washington, + Aneke (because he has a contract)

Plus JF-C if he recovers his fitness.

* means first choice, although would like real competition for Stockley who is useful, but not a top all round striker.

If budget is tight I'd keep Clare, as he might make a decent right back, and Famewo if it's thought he's improving, or can improve.

• Options
    GK - Mac, AMB
    CDM - Dobson/NEW

JFC admittedly is dependant on how he recovers but I like him, lets not forget he was POTY last season. 

Gilbey has shown glimpses of talent, but I agree we need a better starter. 

You can criticise me but you’ve included Fraser, Lavelle and Elerewe. What is that based on? But then say Clare is average? Based on about 100 mins? Id have him as a squad player, his versatility is key too. 

Washington gets injured too often but you’ve included Aneke? 
  • Options

Stockley, Washington and Aneke are plenty good enough to be part of a promotion squad. We need a fourth to join them in the mix and then 5th/6th choice would be Kanu/Campbell.
    This. They all score goals and have other attributes. We need another one, someone with a bit of pace ideally. Leko should have been perfect but unfortunately doesn’t look like it can be him. 
  • Options

This. They all score goals and have other attributes. We need another one, someone with a bit of pace ideally. Leko should have been perfect but unfortunately doesn’t look like it can be him. 
    We definitely need one with pace who can run in behind like Washington does and partner Stockley/Aneke. I would like another big striker though as shown recently we really can’t play without one and Aneke can’t be relied on to stay fit. So I think we need 5 strikers especially with Washingtons injury record nearly being as bad as Aneke’s 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

We definitely need one with pace who can run in behind like Washington does and partner Stockley/Aneke. I would like another big striker though as shown recently we really can’t play without one and Aneke can’t be relied on to stay fit. So I think we need 5 strikers especially with Washingtons injury record nearly being as bad as Aneke’s 
    We’ve been really unlucky with the injuries up top. Washington is prone to the odd niggle but if you look at his appearances over the last 7 years he averages plenty domestically plus let’s not forget he plays internationally too. Aneke is a risk but he didn’t actually miss many games last season, he just couldn’t be trusted to play 90 minutes. That’s not a major issue when Stockley is fit, it’s disastrous when he’s not. I don’t think a 5th striker is reasonable, not under a squad cap. We just need a bit of luck and a couple of decent youngsters that can step up.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    GK - Mac, AMB
    CDM - Dobson/NEW

Washington has a better goals-to-games ratio than Macauley Bonne and if he'd stayed fit, likely would have have scored more or similar. I'm not his biggest fan, tbh I find his one-on-one misses infuriating at times, but if we can't find better then he's not a bad option and he tries at least. I think he is just a League One-standard striker, as Bonne is.

I agree about Gilbey and Purrington. The latter has to go, he's not a wingback, he can't run at players, he doesn't have a good cross, he's not what we need in that position. Unfortunate that Gilbey is here for another year and is clearly a JJ favourite, I think he gets away with a lot. Clare is another one who could be better but he at least works hard and is versatile. 

ed- I have concerns about RWB as well. Neither DJ or CBT are natural to that position and it shows. 
    Why would you think that Gilbey is definitely a JJ favourite out of interest?  I know he has played a lot recently but unless we dropped him and played Watson or John I am not sure JJ has had a lot of other choices recently.  Doesn't mean JJ rates him.  Just that it is Hobson's choice.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

This is my honest/realistic assessment of the squad as it stands, taking into account who we have on the books, budget and who we won't be able to offload. 

If we utilise the loan market that's 5 positions filled, maybe someone like Clayden, Campbell or AN. Other steps up from the youth to fill a gap, so we'd need to sign 4 or 5 on permanent deals.

In an ideal world I'd want better than Gilbey, Purrington and Macgillivray but given they're on contracts next season I believe all 3 will be a part of next season

All depends on the formation we decide to go with, if Jackson wants to play 352 with 3 midfielders every week, then yes you need 6 of them in total to allow for rotation, injuries and suspensions. If you are setting up with 3 midfielders and have 4 on the books, you are putting yourself into a corner, selection wise.

To be successful, you need a squad of 24 outfield players, in my opinion. That allows for 8 injuries and suspensions and you being able to field a full team and subs. It's up to the club how many of those 24 are actual first team players and how many are youth players, but in an ideal world only 2 or 3 of the best youth players would be a regular fixture in the squad, in our case probably Elewere, Maynard-Brewer and maybe Kanu next season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

All depends on the formation we decide to go with, if Jackson wants to play 352 with 3 midfielders every week, then yes you need 6 of them in total to allow for rotation, injuries and suspensions. If you are setting up with 3 midfielders and have 4 on the books, you are putting yourself into a corner, selection wise.

To be successful, you need a squad of 24 outfield players, in my opinion. That allows for 8 injuries and suspensions and you being able to field a full team and subs. It's up to the club how many of those 24 are actual first team players and how many are youth players, but in an ideal world only 2 or 3 of the best youth players would be a regular fixture in the squad, in our case probably Elewere, Maynard-Brewer and maybe Kanu next season. 
    I don’t disagree about the CMs, but 4 wingers in a 352 is unnecessary. 

And I don’t think it is up to the club as to how many are youth players. There will be a squad cap so we’re limited on how many over 21s we can have. 

I think the last 2 seasons have shown that having decent squad depth doesn’t really work. I don’t agree we need a massive overhaul because I think we’ve got 20 decent league 1 players. What we are lacking is some real top class players. You look at our promotion winning sides, we had 8/9 players who walked into the side. Now we’ve got Leko, DJ, Souare, Purrington, Castillo, Matthews and CBT who on paper mostly offer something. That’s 7 players there who have played wing back under Jackson. That’s just crazy. 
  • Options
    Depending where we are division wise, and finance wise, I would strip the present squad down to the bone, only keep contracted players we can't get rid of, as well as a couple we might like for example Dobson, Then promote from within our development system as much as possible, not bring in journeymen, but give the fans hope for the future.
    If there is enough dosh to get in two or three excellent, robust and talismanic players then good, and possibly a couple of proper premiership loans, not the likes of John and Castillo.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Depending where we are division wise, and finance wise, I would strip the present squad down to the bone, only keep contracted players we can't get rid of, as well as a couple we might like for example Dobson, Then promote from within our development system as much as possible, not bring in journeymen, but give the fans hope for the future.
    If there is enough dosh to get in two or three excellent, robust and talismanic players then good, and possibly a couple of proper premiership loans, not the likes of John and Castillo.
    So you’d keep a handful of players, sign 2/3 excellent players and then the rest of the squad would be youngsters? And you’d expect to be competitive? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    So you’d keep a handful of players, sign 2/3 excellent players and then the rest of the squad would be youngsters? And you’d expect to be competitive? 
    Did I say I’d expect to be competitive?
    I said my idea would give us hope for the future, as well as possibly being affordable.
    Is the present set up competitive?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Grim reading knowing how many of these will likely still be here next season. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I said my idea would give us hope for the future, as well as possibly being affordable.
    No it's not, but you're suggesting we go into a third tier season, not actually try and get promoted, just "give fans hope for the future". That's insane. It may be more affordable, but it would still lead to losses. I cannot fathom why anybody would be interested to just stay in this division as long as we have a few young players to watch. 
  • Options
    Let's assume we're playing wing-backs next season (otherwise why we're persisting with them now I have no idea): 
    GK: not blown away by Mac this year, so AM-B starts. Mac can stay as back up, though.
    CB: Quite happy to start again. They all have weaknesses. Lavelle has to prove his place for the season remainder, but the rest are gone. Inniss is just too fragile, even if he is certainly good enough. Playing him every other game disrupts the team too much, so he's either fully in or he has to go. Elerewe and Ness would be good to see on occasion.
    CDM: perfectly happy with Dobson and Clare as back up here. Would make Dobson captain.
    LWB: am a Purrington defender, but since Jacko's been made permanent we haven't seen much positive. You would never buy him to play in this formation, so with a thankful heart for Wembley I'll say goodbye. Castillo it's too soon to tell. But basically it's a case of start again.
    RWB: DJ is a decent option from the bench, but not creative enough to start. Basically start again.
    CM: Fraser, JFC, possibly Gilbey (depends on how he finishes the season), but need another 
    CF: I'm fine with Stockley, Washington, Aneke... if their fitness issues are temporary. But need a 4th senior striker.

• Options
    In terms of hoping to be promoted, which I hoped for this season, that would remain.
    However surely we have all learned by now that you have to take games one by one and expecting promotion risks a Derby-like situation, where the existence of the club is under threat? I am in no position to demand Sandgaard spends money how I would like it.
    Additionally we are about to enter a mini era of several excellent youngsters coming through, if we are to have a development system isn’t the purpose to produce first team players? That strategy has as much chance of making us competitive as the present one of signing dud old crocks or Jonny Williams playalikes with flimsy substance.
    That’s my reasoning, if you think it sounds like insanity then of course think that.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    We would, all in probability get relegated. 

League 1 is fast becoming a bit like the championship.  If you don't try and get promoted you will end up getting relegated sooner or later. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    seth plum said:
    In terms of hoping to be promoted, which I hoped for this season, that would remain.
    However surely we have all learned by now that you have to take games one by one and expecting promotion risks a Derby-like situation, where the existence of the club is under threat? I am in no position to demand Sandgaard spends money how I would like it.
    Additionally we are about to enter a mini era of several excellent youngsters coming through, if we are to have a development system isn’t the purpose to produce first team players? That strategy has as much chance of making us competitive as the present one of signing dud old crocks or Jonny Williams playalikes with flimsy substance.
    That’s my reasoning, if you think it sounds like insanity then of course think that.
    No, I think that makes sense. But what has been frustrating for many of us has been watching much 'smaller' clubs performing so much better than us on much smaller budgets. And how many of them have academies as successful as ours?