Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Tuesday 27 April 7pm| Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Kettle, frigging bloody Kettle, anything can and probably will happen 🤞
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Am I the only one who doesn’t understand what Shinnie’s done wrong?
    He’s just a victim of a fully fit squad. I’m sure Adkins would love to have him in if the space allowed it. He’s a really good player but it’s a shootout between him and Albie and for that last spot at present and Adkins has chosen Albie. Wouldn’t surprise me to see a fresh Andrew Shinnie coming in for Gilbey for a game to give him a rest as he’s played a lot of football in last few weeks for someone who was out for such a long time.
  • Options
    Changes only where necessary should bag the points 3-0.
  • Options
    Pretty good set piece and penalty taker tis Shinnie ;)
  • Options
    kafka said:
    He's out of contract at the end of the season & Adkins doesn't think he will be here next season. 

Perhaps.....?
    I doubt that is the problem. It is probably that Adkins feels JFC and Gilbey are better bets in the positions Shinnie can play. Shinnie may still have a part to play. I was surprised Morgan was on the bench and he wasn't on Saturday, I must admit. Not knocking Morgan but I think Shinnie is a better bet to influence a game. Anyway in Nigel we trust. 
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Not a defensive midfielder (Watley/Pratson), not as all round as JFC in the box to box role and not as quick and energetic as Gilbey, qualities needed for the high pressing/goalscoring midfielder role.

I'd have him on the bench over Morgan but Adkins must have his reasons. While all/most are fit someone has to miss out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think there is a case for playing JFC, Gilbey and Shinnie. Especially in a game like tomorrow's.
  • Options

• Options
    Nice words NA. Am glad you aren't telling us their formation/danger areas that we are going to match up. 
  • Options
    Whatever team that Adkins picks, I think we can all agree with him that we need to impose ourselves on them. Do that and we ought to win.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    This is Adkins formation and don't see him changing it now. And I don't think he really needs to. We've had a terrific run and in the last match we passed it better than we have all season. Fair enough our attacking players couldn't produce in the final third but you could see the progress in how we moved it from the back and kept the ball. Why change it now? 

It's also so adaptable. At any moment, it can be a 4-3-3, a 4-2-3-1, a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-5-1. 

I'd much rather he sticks to a formation he knows well, develops a system and then buys players to fit that system. What was LB building towards at the end? We had a mountain of midfielders and two wingers. What system was that for. How do you even build a squad when in any game you could be playing 3-4-1-2, 4-4-2 or a narrow diamond. 
  • Options
    Love those Holland goals and the roar/wall of constant noise that greets them as the travelling thousands of Addicks celebrate in delirium packed to the rafters in the sold out away ends .
  • Options
    A banana skin of a fixture 
    we shouldn’t  lose,  a draw is a big possibility , only a win will suffice
    i think we’re running out of promotion gas

45% Charlton
    40% Draw
    15% Crewe 
  • Options
    Can only see points for CAFC
    At least 2, probably 3 :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amos
    Matthews, Inniss, Famewo, Purrington 
    Gilbey, Pratley, JFC
    Washington, Stockley, Millar

This is our biggest game of the season now you simply do not rest people unless they have knocks.

We are winning this.  2-0 Washington, Stockley.
  • Options
    Love those Holland goals and the roar/wall of constant noise that greets them as the travelling thousands of Addicks celebrate in delirium packed to the rafters in the sold out away ends .
    He scored some cracking goals for us didn't he.
    A shrewd acquisition by Curbs, he was a great player for us and deserves a lot better than to have his contribution belittled by those who crassly dismiss him as Captain clean shorts.
    As for the away numbers ooaah, well you know how it is, but you can bet that those of his that were there were delirious  :)
  • Options
    I think 2-1 to the Addicks , we go 1 down and Crewe get someone sent off ..
  • Options
    I agree with your team BR7-addict except I’d leave millar out and put SHINNIE in who along with jfc
    are probably  the only two who are capable of defence splitting early passes which Aneke and Washington thrive on, also I’d give stockley a rest if it’s only for 45min Stockley has done very well up front on his own and battled well. All though great in the air let’s be honest ,he’s got breeze blocks on the end of his legs instead of feet, and we should
    play our two top goal scorers together up front in aMUST WIN game tonight.prediction 3-0 charlton
  • Options
    kafka said:
    not good enough to start? ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Davo53 said:
    I agree with your team BR7-addict except I’d leave millar out and put SHINNIE in who along with jfc
    are probably  the only two who are capable of defence splitting early passes which Aneke and Washington thrive on, also I’d give stockley a rest if it’s only for 45min Stockley has done very well up front on his own and battled well. All though great in the air let’s be honest ,he’s got breeze blocks on the end of his legs instead of feet, and we should
    play our two top goal scorers together up front in aMUST WIN game tonight.prediction 3-0 charlton
    Morgan can also make such passes, but I think I would prefer to put that pressure on the veteran (nearly) Shinnie right now and not a 20 year old. 

Stockley always does well with Shinnie in the side, but I am not sure how well he'd do as a winger. No problem in trying it though. 

IF the season was done, Maatsen and Inniss are fit and we weren't fighting for promotion still I would wonder if this is the kind of game to experiment with a 3-5-2 

Amos 

Inniss - Pearce - Famewo

Matthews - Shinnie - F.Caskey - Gilbey - Maatsen

Washington - Aneke

Then Schwartz and Stockley could come on around the hour mark.

You'd also have cover in all positions with AMB, Gunter or Oshilaja, Purrington, Morgan, Millar, Pratley or Watson  available to be on the bench too.

Would also easily become 4-3-3 with only minor changes:
    Pearce OFF <
    Millar ON >

Matthews RWB - RB
    Maatsen LWB - LB
    Washington CF - RW
    Miller LW

Amos

Matthews - Inniss - Famewo - Maatsen

Shinnie - F.Caskey - Gilbey

Washington - Aneke - Millar
  • Options
    I'd be very happy to see Aneke and Washington start up top today. 

Stockley has done an excellent job for me, but he could also do with a break for our permy forwards :)