Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Tuesday 27 April 7pm| Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    This is Adkins formation and don't see him changing it now. And I don't think he really needs to. We've had a terrific run and in the last match we passed it better than we have all season. Fair enough our attacking players couldn't produce in the final third but you could see the progress in how we moved it from the back and kept the ball. Why change it now? 

It's also so adaptable. At any moment, it can be a 4-3-3, a 4-2-3-1, a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-5-1. 

I'd much rather he sticks to a formation he knows well, develops a system and then buys players to fit that system. What was LB building towards at the end? We had a mountain of midfielders and two wingers. What system was that for. How do you even build a squad when in any game you could be playing 3-4-1-2, 4-4-2 or a narrow diamond. 
    I'm not sure it is his formation. It is the formation he feels maximises the players he has at his disposal. And to be fair, he has done ok so far. I would be happy if we started with that formation tonight but we have to respect the minutes and if it isn't working after 30 mins, don't waste 15 mins before half time and go to a plan B. Hopefully one the players have prepared for. 
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
     I’d give stockley a rest if it’s only for 45min Stockley has done very well up front on his own and battled well. All though great in the air let’s be honest ,he’s got breeze blocks on the end of his legs instead of feet, 
    He should definitely toe punt it more often in that case.
  • Options
    Must win or seasons over. Simple as really.
    Not really, 2 wins would probably still do it. But whether we are good enough to beat Lincoln or Hull is another matter. By the time we play them they could both be on holiday, Hull because they are top and Lincoln because they are in the home leg of the playoffs.
    But beating Crewe would be better.
  • Options
    At the start of the season the phrase "whether we are good enough to beat Lincoln" was a source of LOLS.
  • Options
    At the start of the season the phrase "whether we are good enough to beat Lincoln" was a source of LOLS.
    Yeah and every season "Accrington have no right to win against us."
  • Options
    Christ, I'm nervous. This is entirely in our hands though and we're up against a Crewe side that should theoretically be on the beach already, so here's hoping. Seeing how the players respond to a defeat after a very long unbeaten spell will reveal more about Nigel Adkins, too.
  • Options
    I just want to see us impose ourselves on the game with application and quality. Trying to treat the playoff push as a free hit, as I'd ruled it out 10 weeks ago.
  • Options
    I expect us to win reasonably comfortably tonight, say 2-0 but the crucial thing is that we start quickly. We've got into a bad habit of starting slowly and not getting into the game until 15 minutes have passed. Plymouth didn't punish us, Posh did

I also expect a bit of medical related rotation. We have such a big squad, it makes no sense to burn the likes of Stockley out
  • Options
    It’s going to be interesting how we start. The last 3 games have been slow. 

Crewe have form this season of capitulating early and conceding 2 and even 3 goals in first half. On the other hand they’ve also scored 2 or 3 in first half. Important we start strong and fast. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Important we start strong and fast. 
    As I said to the missus last night.
  • Options
    Hoping for a good birthday present for seth plum. Come on you reds. 
  • Options
    Amos
    Matthews Inniss Famewo Purrington
    Pratley
    Forster-Caskey Gilbey
    Shinnie
    Aneke Washington

Maynard-Brewer Oshilaja Watson Morgan Millar Stockley Maatsen

3-1, Aneke, Washington, Forster-Caskey
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Christ, I'm nervous. This is entirely in our hands though and we're up against a Crewe side that should theoretically be on the beach already, so here's hoping. Seeing how the players respond to a defeat after a very long unbeaten spell will reveal more about Nigel Adkins, too.
    Most people will be theoretically on the beach this year.
  • Options
    I slipped up on Saturday and used my England mug instead of the Addicks mug for coffee. And then I failed to drink a bottle of wine during the game. I know that it sounds a bit of a lame excuse but my Addicks mug’s unbeaten run has come to its end. However, I’m geared up for tonight’s match with a bottle of Gavi chilling and waiting to be taken out of the fridge and uncorked. I wonder why this is never mentioned in the match previews as its all part of match preparations? 🥸
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    My missus said start strong but cut out the fast!!😳
  • Options
    Such a huge game. Lose and that surely would be the play offs out of reach. So much pressure and another home game where we struggle so much. 1-1, just not quite good enough.
  • Options
    Maybe we need this pressure to turn up at home. If we can't beat Crewe at home, how will we fare against a Top 6 team at home in the play off semi. COYR!
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    My missus said start strong but cut out the fast!!😳
    My Missus said "don't even think about it". 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My missus asked what the custard was for?!!!🤪
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    This is Adkins formation and don't see him changing it now. And I don't think he really needs to. We've had a terrific run and in the last match we passed it better than we have all season. Fair enough our attacking players couldn't produce in the final third but you could see the progress in how we moved it from the back and kept the ball. Why change it now? 

It's also so adaptable. At any moment, it can be a 4-3-3, a 4-2-3-1, a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-5-1. 

I'd much rather he sticks to a formation he knows well, develops a system and then buys players to fit that system. What was LB building towards at the end? We had a mountain of midfielders and two wingers. What system was that for. How do you even build a squad when in any game you could be playing 3-4-1-2, 4-4-2 or a narrow diamond. 
    I'm not sure it is his formation. It is the formation he feels maximises the players he has at his disposal. And to be fair, he has done ok so far. I would be happy if we started with that formation tonight but we have to respect the minutes and if it isn't working after 30 mins, don't waste 15 mins before half time and go to a plan B. Hopefully one the players have prepared for. 
    I don't think it is his formation.  I don't think he had much choice with Washington injured, Aneke being a Aneke and Schwartz not being selectable, for what ever reason.

Be intresting if Maatsen and Washington aren't fit enough to start, we might finally see what formation actually uses 5 central midfielders.

The only 3 outfield players I am confident will start are Purrington, JFC and Stockley. 
  • Options
    Hoping for a good birthday present for seth plum. Come on you reds. 
    Indeed! Happy birthday @seth plum - enjoy the coffees and whiskies and whatever else there is on offer. Hopefully there's three points in there somewhere.
  • Options
    I’d really like to see Washington and Aneke coming in for Jaiyesimi and Stockley personally. I really like Shinnie and think he deserves a place in our midfield but he seems to have been frozen out since Adkins came in, maybe he’s planning on leaving at the end of the season so Adkins doesn’t want to play him?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Surprising that we've met Crewe so infrequently, as in the last 30 years they've often been in what is now L1, and have even spent a couple of seasons in the Championship

I see that their top scorer in 2014/15 was Nicky Ajose, while in 2013/14 it was Chuks Aneke
  • Options
    Our two top scorers, Aneke & Washington have to get at least half a game.

And pleeess can we start well for once.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Wasn’t Crewe away that the season the game in which Mendonca got his long term injury.