Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre-season Friendlies

Comments

• Options
    Still no news on the empty "fixture" for the 31st July. 

• Options
    edited July 2021
    The foreign residents of that narrow road near Selhurst  which had broken wing mirrors galore ( bad idea from the police for that evening game) have probably questioned the validity of away people turning up fearing a repeat. My lad and I walked down that road 10 minutes later as the Police wouldn't let me get into White horse road to walk up the hill to my car parked half a mile away. Hearing foreign accents and a women crying as she picked up her broken wing mirror wasn't a great look.

I wonder how the police normally make arrangements at Selhurst for away fans because that evening game was a nightmare on and off the pitch when a minority are up for aggro from Cafc and palace.

Maybe they should have kept the home fans in( valley, against Millwall) for 20 minutes and get the away folk to the station, buses and cars and then let out the black shirts.

Charlton TV for £5 sounds like a plan.

Ps. I know the numbers will be small compared to a cup tie at the stadium.

• Options
    The foreign residents of that narrow road near Selhurst  which had broken wing mirrors galore ( bad idea from the police for that evening game) have probably questioned the validity of away people turning up fearing a repeat. My lad and I walked down that road 10 minutes later as the Police wouldn't let me get into White horse road to walk up the hill to my car parked half a mile away. Hearing foreign accents and a women crying as she picked up her broken wing mirror wasn't a great look.

I wonder how the police normally make arrangements at Selhurst for away fans because that evening game was a nightmare on and off the pitch when a minority are up for aggro from Cafc and palace.

Maybe they should have kept the home fans in( valley against Millwall) for 20 minutes and get the away folk to the station, buses and cars and then let out the black shirts.

I heard it was in fact Sainsbury's who objected. Didn't want 500 Charlton fans disrupting their lorries coming in to restock over night.
  • Options

Maybe they should have kept the home fans in( valley, against Millwall) for 20 minutes and get the away folk to the station, buses and cars and then let out the black shirts.

Was it the 2-1 loss(Fuller goal) where they stuck that metal wall up? That road got smashed to bits that day, and happened 3 times that season as they hosted us, Millwall and Brighton in the same season.
  • Options
    Pre-season friendlies used to be a great opportunity to help build excitement and confidence for the start of the season. At Charlton in recent years we seem to have given up. Usually only one home fixture (cost) and increasingly behind closed doors away from home. We seem to have surpassed ourselves this year. Crossing Welling off the list but going to Dartford and sod all else. I don't fancy our chances against Celtic and unless we get a move on, the Reading and Palace games could be anything but confidence builders. Palace was a silly choice but agreeing to play with home fans only is even sillier. The gobble-di-gook excuse on the club website suggests they are trying to polish a turd. I certainly won't be paying for Charlton TV.
  • Options

Maybe they should have kept the home fans in( valley against Millwall) for 20 minutes and get the away folk to the station, buses and cars and then let out the black shirts.

I heard it was in fact Sainsbury's who objected. Didn't want 500 Charlton fans disrupting their lorries coming in to restock over night. chanting that they prefer to shop at Aldi
    Corrected
  • Options
    As much as I like a home friendly, they aren't attended well when we do put one on. The Aston Villa game had 7.5k and that's with nearly 3K Villa fans. Others in previous years have barely got 3 or 4k, is it even worth the clubs effort/expense?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    As much as I like a home friendly, they aren't attended well when we do put one on. The Aston Villa game had 7.5k and that's with nearly 3K Villa fans. Others in previous years have barely got 3 or 4k, is it even worth the clubs effort/expense?
    For Solly also ten years at Cafc.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    In fact when was the last time we got anything approaching (or over) 10k for a friendly? The West Ham friendly in 2015? Before that Bilbao in 2008?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    In fact when was the last time we got anything approaching (or over) 10k for a friendly? The West Ham friendly in 2015? Before that Bilbao in 2008?
    Only if we ever became a premier League team again.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Far fewer people away on holiday this summer though, and a lot of people desperate for live sport and a return to The Valley 
  • Options
    I know one hasn’t been announced yet, but are we going to have a home friendly match, Millwall perhaps?
  • Options
    After reading the OS I was unsure if my annual subscription was still valid and whether I could watch the friendlies without a further charge so I emailed the club.
    They advise me that my subscription expires in early August and that I would have to pay to watch the friendlies in July. I questioned this decision and referred them to the OS, they have now come back and confirmed that I have access for the friendlies, which I take to mean at no further cost???
  • Options
    I know one hasn’t been announced yet, but are we going to have a home friendly match, Millwall perhaps?
    Highly doubt the police would be up for it based on what’s happened with the Palace match 
  • Options
    Wont be facing Leigh Griffiths on Saturday... He's been sent home from their training camp
  • Options
    Wont be facing Leigh Griffiths on Saturday... He's been sent home from their training camp
    Private online messages sent to an underage girl? Doesn't sound like a very Celtic thing....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    might it be away as our pitch is having some work?
  • Options
    might it be away as our pitch is having some work?
    Either that or they want to preserve the new pitch for the actual season

Its not been great the later we've got to the business end of the last few seasons
  • Options
    Is there a subscription to buy all the pre-season games or do you need to buy them individually?
  • Options
    Friendlies are coming home.
  • Options
    Is there a subscription to buy all the pre-season games or do you need to buy them individually?
    Buying a one month pass for £6.50 now will cover all the games
  • Options
    CharltonTV monthly pass
    With the one month pass you will be able to gain exclusive access to CharltonTV, Charlton Athletic's premium online video service for one month. This pass DOES NOT include live match streaming except for certain pre-season games.

This is what it states on Valley Pass, any idea which friendly matches it is showing please, and if so, how do i watch the other matches (friendlies), thanks.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

That noise is the sound of bed wetter tears..... 
    Great news and well done to everyone for getting the game on. 

I thought the first team were in Wales until the 13th though? Are they travelling back during the day and  playing welling in the evening?