Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Hull City | Sun 9th May 2021| 12noon

edited May 2021 in General Charlton
"When the Red, Red Robin comes bob, bob bobbing along ........"

It's a high noon shoot out today; if we get killed off we have no chance.
And even if we're the winner ....... we depend on the results at Pompey and Oxford. "But football is a funny old game, Saint"; the immortal words of Jimmy Greaves. :smile:

What does Mr Manager have to say? “What’s in our hands tomorrow is to try and win a game of football,” explained Adkins. .
Really, we can't do more than that.

The once maligned Alex Gilbey heralded the battle cry: 
“We have to win, no matter what. We haven’t got to muck about going for a draw and trying not to lose, we just have to go out there all guns blazing and really go for it."   If the players are really up for it, then we have a chance of sorts.

The unlucky JFC is crocked with another ACL and it's unlikely DJ is fit enough to participate.
Mr Adkins knows he has to pick a team to win against the already crowned champions. It's a tough ask - but you never know!

Charlton: Amos; Matthews, Inniss, Famewo, Maatsen; Morgan, Watson (C), Gilbey; Washington, Stockley, Millar

Substitutes: Maynard-Brewer, Gunter, Pearce, Pratley, Shinnie, Jaiyesimi, Aneke

Nearly time to shout at your telly/laptop/phone. Git yer live stream here!:
Supporters who are yet to purchase a pass for today's game can do so here.

All on Valley Pass .......  the unmissable "The Scott Minto Show" starring Scotty himself begins at 11.15pm:
  • Guest pundits Alan Curbishley and Paul Hayes
  • Pre-match and post-match interviews with manager Nigel Adkins
  • Commentary from Terry Smith, Greg Stubley and Steve Brown
  • Live coverage of the game

COME ON YOU REDS! Sh*t or bust.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Here we go lads, PLEASE turn up, and give it a go, that's all we can ask at this time, pride in the shirt etc
  • Options
    Yup go for it. Dont finish this shite year with a whimper have a go if we lose then fine, I would rather that today than play tight and try not to lose
  • Options

• Options
    Bit more of a 4-4-2 today, similar to how we lined up against Lincoln in the second half?

Aneke can then replace Washington after the break if he has to
  • Options
    Bit more of a 4-4-2 today, similar to how we lined up against Lincoln in the second half?

Aneke can then replace Washington after the break if he has to
    Or is 433 with Washington and Millar wide? 
  • Options
    Bar Jake, that’s our strongest side, in my view ( accepting that Aneke is better as sub) .  Suspect it’s 433 with Washington right and Millar left ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it a 433 or a 442, hope it is the latter with gilbey wide right. Washington being right up alongside Stockley will make us far more dangerous.
  • Options
    I like that line-up, looks as though he is going for it, with Chucks coming off the bench in 2nd half I reckon.  COYR's......lets do this!!
  • Options
    Worth pointing out that Hull are largely unchanged after their 3-1 win against Wigan last Saturday

Regan Slater starts ahead of Richie Smallwood, Gavin Whyte comes in for George Honeyman
  • Options

Speaking on his team selection, the Charlton manager said: “We need to win the game of football and we’ve got 100 minutes to go and do it. Obviously when we talk about Chuks [Aneke] he was phenomenal the other day when he came off the bench wasn’t he, so from our point of view what a great impact player we’ve got for him to go and do that. We’ve got DJ [Diallang Jaiyesimi] on the bench as well - we’re going to take a gamble with him. Again, the last 10 minutes we might need to see where the goals situation is so we’re having him on the bench. 

“Ian Maatsen will play in the left back position so it’s tough on Ben Purrington because I really like Ben, but we're going to play Ian in that left back position. Albie [Morgan] will come in and play in that position where Jake [Forster-Caskey] was - a talented young player who came through the youth system here. You can see already in the couple of games that I’ve managed to get him on the pitch that he’s got a great range of passing, his set play delivery has been exceptional and that could be the difference today between winning and losing the game.”

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6097b0b94c3f9/team-news-two-changes-for-hull-city-clash-as-jaiyesimi-returns-to-bench

• Options
    Good strong looking lineup with great support on the bench, good to see Jaiyseimi there and involved
  • Options
    Oi Oi. Come on you reds. 90 mins. Just go and give it your all 🙏
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Worth pointing out that Hull are largely unchanged after their 3-1 win against Wigan last Saturday

Regan Slater starts ahead of Richie Smallwood, Gavin Whyte comes in for George Honeyman
    If anyone is interested:

Portsmouth: Have made one change with Whatmough (Mr Own Goal) replacing Raggett
    Accrington: Unchanged after facing us.
    Oxford: One change with Shodipo in for Barker
    Burton: FOUR changes, including the Goalkeeper who is in for his debut and has played for Welling on loan...
  • Options
    Just want them to give it a go! If we lose I hope we at least show some bottle. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JFC club captain next year?
  • Options
    @Oggy Red I've spotted and amended the deliberate mistake in the opening post :)
  • Options
    I love our Mr Adkins:

"What day is it today? ....... er, Sunday. "Happy Sunday, everyone!".

• Options
    I can confidently say we've got no chance of making the playoffs and even if we did fluke our way in we'd be annihilated over two legs by any of the other teams. That's my bit of fate tempting for the day.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    All the players wearing shirts with number 8 and JFC on them. Brilliant thing to do.
  • Options
    All the players wearing shirts with number 8 and JFC on them. Brilliant thing to do.
    Also suggests he has likely fully ruptured the ACL again, if it was a a lesser injury I doubt they would have done the shirts. Big shame as likely means he’s out for 9 months.
  • Options
    An off the cuff thought, why is Minto's watch showing wrong time 10 to 8 !!

• Options
    Also suggests he has likely fully ruptured the ACL again, if it was a a lesser injury I doubt they would have done the shirts. Big shame as likely means he’s out for 9 months.
    They are being very tight lipped about it although Curbs is maybe guessing? 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    JFC club captain next year?
    Wouldn't surprise me if he is here and Pearce isn't. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!